Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners 12:45 - Mar 29 with 2643 viewsSmithy

Cook correct in saying we need to build partnerships, Andre has had 10 different midfield partners this season and I guess thats the issue. He's played 33 of the 36 games this season and has been partnered by:

Nolan
Downes
Skuse
Huws
McGavin
Bishop
Judge
Lankester
Harrop
Gibbs

That's ridiculous, and for a youngster trying to find his feet in the game thats tough. No chance of building up an understanding with anyone, not many similar players there either, so trying to build up a level of consistency with anyone there has been nigh on impossible.

Much the same as the 3 behind the front man, in where we have used 12 players in different positions and have very rarely been settled. Obviously the lack of performance from a lot of them has been a contributor, but I'd suggest from those now available go with Dobra, Parrott and Lankester and stick with them, time to bin the non performing Judge, Sears and Edwards they've had more than enough chances.

If you look at the defence, its been relatively settled, Chambers at RB, Kenlock or Ward at left back and 4 central defenders used. Obviously still without fault, but they have been relatively solid given the fact the the 6 in front of them have offered little and the ball keeps coming back at them.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:48 - Mar 29 with 2608 viewsHerbivore

Although for most of the season under Lambert, Dozzer was playing in a midfield three rather than a two. I'd be interested to know how many games Dozzer and Bishop have played together this season, as I suspect it's a lot. Whether they are an effective partnership or not is another matter.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:50 - Mar 29 with 2586 viewsjayessess

Honestly, what people expect from AD is crazy. He's playing as the deepest midfielder with a rotating cast of bad forward players and largely ineffectual midfield partners. He leads pretty much all of them on any contribution stat you want to name and people still think he's the problem.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:52 - Mar 29 with 2576 viewsSmithy

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:48 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Although for most of the season under Lambert, Dozzer was playing in a midfield three rather than a two. I'd be interested to know how many games Dozzer and Bishop have played together this season, as I suspect it's a lot. Whether they are an effective partnership or not is another matter.

I'd say Bishop had been more the top of a three in the number 10 role than his actual partner in the majority of the season. Has partnered Dozzell more since Downes injury, who of course would be the preferred partnership.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:54 - Mar 29 with 2558 viewsSmithy

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:50 - Mar 29 by jayessess

Honestly, what people expect from AD is crazy. He's playing as the deepest midfielder with a rotating cast of bad forward players and largely ineffectual midfield partners. He leads pretty much all of them on any contribution stat you want to name and people still think he's the problem.

agreed, the lack of options he has when he has the ball is frightening really, and much the reason why he has to go sideways or backwards. Not having a regular partner alongside him doesn't help in that an understanding of where he is at or what he is doing is gone. Pretty much the only player we have who is willing to try a penetrating pass, but when it doesn't come off is slated.

37 years and counting!

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:56 - Mar 29 with 2549 viewsBlueBadger

I think with Skuse and Chambers likely retiring/stepping back it's important we start looking for new scapegoats. With Andre and Woolf we have have two scapegoats who've come through the youth system, no less.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 13:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:57 - Mar 29 with 2532 viewsBlueBadger

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:54 - Mar 29 by Smithy

agreed, the lack of options he has when he has the ball is frightening really, and much the reason why he has to go sideways or backwards. Not having a regular partner alongside him doesn't help in that an understanding of where he is at or what he is doing is gone. Pretty much the only player we have who is willing to try a penetrating pass, but when it doesn't come off is slated.

Additionally, he really needs a 'minder' alongside him if he's going to play that deep-lying playmaker role.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:57 - Mar 29 with 2515 viewsHerbivore

I think he's done fine. This is his first season starting regularly and on the whole he's done alright. There's been some flashes of real quality here and there, then other games where he's been off it. That happens with young players. I've seen quite a bit of improvement in the defensive side of his game this season, he reads it better and he tracks runners better than earlier in the season. That gets overlooked as it's not very exciting.

To be honest, our issue on Saturday wasn't the midfield battle. We held our own there. Our issue was that not one of Judge, Sears, or Edwards made a single positive contribution in the entire time they were on the pitch. Judge and Edwards saw plenty of the ball in the first half but either miscontrolled it or passed it straight to a Wigan player. Sears just didn't get into the game at all.

When a third of your outfield players that consistute your main creative outlet are offering nothing at all, it makes your job in a midfield two quite a bit harder.

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:59 - Mar 29 with 2493 viewsHerbivore

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:52 - Mar 29 by Smithy

I'd say Bishop had been more the top of a three in the number 10 role than his actual partner in the majority of the season. Has partnered Dozzell more since Downes injury, who of course would be the preferred partnership.

Not sure I agree. Downes has barely been fit this season so Bishop has mainly been playing in alongside Dozzer. They've played together 20+ times this season. I also don't think they are our biggest issue to be honest.

Login to get fewer ads

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:08 - Mar 29 with 2456 viewsEdmundo

Do you think maybe we could use him better as a wide MF player if we go to 442? I have suggested this to a mate a few times: he has a range of passing, so could be a wide MF, but has no pace, so can't be a winger in a 3.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:08 - Mar 29 with 2444 viewsHerbivore

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:08 - Mar 29 by Edmundo

Do you think maybe we could use him better as a wide MF player if we go to 442? I have suggested this to a mate a few times: he has a range of passing, so could be a wide MF, but has no pace, so can't be a winger in a 3.

No.

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:12 - Mar 29 with 2420 viewsSmithy

No

37 years and counting!

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:37 - Mar 29 with 2361 viewsitfcjoe

Someone pulled up some defensive stats for the division recently and amongst central midfielders he was very, very slightly above average and for interceptions was in the upper quartile........so he does contribute defensively

Like you say, he does far more than anyone else on the ball, and from a very deep position.

I think it's clear that the attacking players in our squad are the issue - i.e. the wingers and the number 10s that have played - these are the people Andre has to try and feed and they simply aren't doing enough

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 14:23 - Mar 29 with 2293 viewsLeoMuff

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:59 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Not sure I agree. Downes has barely been fit this season so Bishop has mainly been playing in alongside Dozzer. They've played together 20+ times this season. I also don't think they are our biggest issue to be honest.

I think Downes and Andre work well together, but a third midfielder is needed, or the central player in the 3 beyond needs to be more midfielder than attacker, I would try bishop there to link.

Problem currently is we have no one to replace Downes

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 14:28 - Mar 29 with 2279 viewsHerbivore

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 14:23 - Mar 29 by LeoMuff

I think Downes and Andre work well together, but a third midfielder is needed, or the central player in the 3 beyond needs to be more midfielder than attacker, I would try bishop there to link.

Problem currently is we have no one to replace Downes

When Downes is fit I'd like to see Dozzell and Downes sitting with Bishop as the 10. I think with a run of games there he could really shine. He can go past players with ease and although he's not one for a Hollywood pass, he plays some very clever short passes in behind at times. He's also had a bit more of an eye for goal this year. Certainly I think he offers more there than pretty much any of our other options would.

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 14:42 - Mar 29 with 2251 viewscatch74

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:37 - Mar 29 by itfcjoe

Someone pulled up some defensive stats for the division recently and amongst central midfielders he was very, very slightly above average and for interceptions was in the upper quartile........so he does contribute defensively

Like you say, he does far more than anyone else on the ball, and from a very deep position.

I think it's clear that the attacking players in our squad are the issue - i.e. the wingers and the number 10s that have played - these are the people Andre has to try and feed and they simply aren't doing enough

Definitely - good point by the op about partners but the ones in front of him are key too, if his passing is going to be effective. How many different players have occupied those positions!?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 14:50 - Mar 29 with 2233 viewsNthQldITFC

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 12:56 - Mar 29 by BlueBadger

I think with Skuse and Chambers likely retiring/stepping back it's important we start looking for new scapegoats. With Andre and Woolf we have have two scapegoats who've come through the youth system, no less.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 13:35]

I'm proud to say that I think that is just the sort of forward-thinking attitude that this club is becoming synonymous with these days!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 15:55 - Mar 29 with 2168 viewsKeaneish

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 13:37 - Mar 29 by itfcjoe

I think he's done OK this season. I've seen a few signs recently to show he's developing in the right direction. He seems to be filling out a bit now too and looking a bit stronger in a tackle. He needs to work on his set pieces though. Not seen too much of real quality from him yet.

No doubt the midfield three is him, Downes and Bishop, although i'd love to see what Cook can get out of Nolan when he returns.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 19:30 - Mar 29 with 2044 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 23:10 - Mar 29 with 1904 viewsreusersfreekicks

No
Andre Dozzell - Midfield Partners on 09:17 - Mar 30 with 1728 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing Andre has done recently that has impressed me wasn’t even on the pitch.

It was his recent comments while most players, when interviewed , come out with comments about what we need to do( passing the buck to others) Andre explained what he needs to do, add to the goals. Hopefully he will come good on that.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024