Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... 12:53 - Mar 30 with 1588 viewsbluewein

For cleaning up the awful people hiding behind faceless accounts. Until someone kills themselves.

And the guy who pushed him to do it has deleted his account and will never be known.

Twitter really is the pits...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:01 - Mar 30 with 1526 viewsKropotkin123

I don't get it? What is the context? People bullied him? Blackmailed him? Tricked him?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:06 - Mar 30 with 1502 viewsbluewein

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:01 - Mar 30 by Kropotkin123

I don't get it? What is the context? People bullied him? Blackmailed him? Tricked him?

Unfortunately the last tweet is unavailable, but it seems he was harassed and told to kill himself because of his "crap football views".

Of all things, fooking football views...

Edit:- His last tweet...
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 13:07]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:17 - Mar 30 with 1476 viewsjeera

He was clearly already struggling but why some scumbag feels he has to abuse him like that for no reason?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:29 - Mar 30 with 1434 viewsIllinoisblue

Off on a tangent but the Troll Zoo account on twitter does a phenomenal job exposing how disinformation spreads. Genuinely fascinating and scary.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:30 - Mar 30 with 1430 viewsipswich78

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:17 - Mar 30 by jeera

He was clearly already struggling but why some scumbag feels he has to abuse him like that for no reason?

Welcome to 2021.

It's horrible, I am so relieved that Social Media didn't exist when I was a kid / teenager. It does worry me about having a young lad who will grow up in a very different world to me.

I never understand the point of these aggressively harsh tweets / posts etc. What is the person doing it looking to get out of it? It's a strange mindset to me.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:31 - Mar 30 with 1420 viewsdavblue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:06 - Mar 30 by bluewein

Unfortunately the last tweet is unavailable, but it seems he was harassed and told to kill himself because of his "crap football views".

It's getting to the stage now where Social Media is actually a burden on people's life's. It used to be famous people who got pelters and now it's everyday folk also more and more.

Initially it was great but it's too widespread and the things people put up now are awful.
Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:32 - Mar 30 with 1402 viewsjeera

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:30 - Mar 30 by ipswich78

Welcome to 2021.

It's horrible, I am so relieved that Social Media didn't exist when I was a kid / teenager. It does worry me about having a young lad who will grow up in a very different world to me.

I never understand the point of these aggressively harsh tweets / posts etc. What is the person doing it looking to get out of it? It's a strange mindset to me.

It wasn't just harsh/agressive though was it?

It was designed to humiliate.

That's the deliberately damaging angle; the underlying intent.

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:38 - Mar 30 with 1385 viewsKropotkin123

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:06 - Mar 30 by bluewein

Seems like it was the tipping point, rather than the core issues. Potentially a reminder to us on here too, to be civil with those we disagree with. Because something insignificant to us may be a lot more significant to the recipient.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Login to get fewer ads

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:39 - Mar 30 with 1378 viewsStokieBlue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:31 - Mar 30 by davblue

It's getting to the stage now where Social Media is actually a burden on people's life's. It used to be famous people who got pelters and now it's everyday folk also more and more.

Initially it was great but it's too widespread and the things people put up now are awful.

It could have been a vehicle for good but unfortunately it's allowed elements (quite big elements I would argue) to become total cesspits. So many issues with the world can be directly traced back to social media and the views and misinformation spread on there.

Some will of course argue that there are good bits and they are right. However unless the extremely bad bits can be controlled then there needs to be a serious debate around the form in which social media can continue going forward.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:39 - Mar 30 with 1371 viewslongtimefan

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:17 - Mar 30 by jeera

Not meaning to be disrespectful but going by that last tweet, the abuse doesn’t strike me as vastly different from the insults thrown back and forward about a certain ITFC related Podcast on here a few weeks ago!
Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:41 - Mar 30 with 1341 viewsjeera

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:39 - Mar 30 by longtimefan

Not meaning to be disrespectful but going by that last tweet, the abuse doesn’t strike me as vastly different from the insults thrown back and forward about a certain ITFC related Podcast on here a few weeks ago!

Then you missed the context and for the main the comments did not start that way, nor were they about the podcast, but a tweet from those people.

This really doesn't need dragging up though.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 13:45]

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:42 - Mar 30 with 1331 viewsStokieBlue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:39 - Mar 30 by longtimefan

Or alternatively, it's totally different.

SB

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:43 - Mar 30 with 1326 viewsclive_baker

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:39 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

It could have been a vehicle for good but unfortunately it's allowed elements (quite big elements I would argue) to become total cesspits. So many issues with the world can be directly traced back to social media and the views and misinformation spread on there.

Some will of course argue that there are good bits and they are right. However unless the extremely bad bits can be controlled then there needs to be a serious debate around the form in which social media can continue going forward.

SB

I agree with all of that but I also think it's important to remember there are people behind screens acting like this. Certainly social media platforms need to do more, that's definitely true! But the more criticism the platforms get the more I feel like it absolves the perpetrators of their role in it all. It's like blaming a wall for graffiti, I hope we throw the book at the sick trolls who are acting so hideously.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:46 - Mar 30 with 1303 viewsStokieBlue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:43 - Mar 30 by clive_baker

I agree with all of that but I also think it's important to remember there are people behind screens acting like this. Certainly social media platforms need to do more, that's definitely true! But the more criticism the platforms get the more I feel like it absolves the perpetrators of their role in it all. It's like blaming a wall for graffiti, I hope we throw the book at the sick trolls who are acting so hideously.

Certainly an element of truth in that, however the veil of anonymity that is provided by social media and the ability to post something without being near the target or any immediate comeback emboldens people to be far more vicious and heartless than they would normally be.

We should of course remember that the trolls themselves are to blame. nobody forces them to post in the way that they do, however they are given the platform to enable themselves and that is something that should be questioned going forwards.

Even using real names doesn't seem to make a huge difference when they are hidden behind a screen and some fibre optics.

SB

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:52 - Mar 30 with 1264 viewsdavblue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:46 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

Certainly an element of truth in that, however the veil of anonymity that is provided by social media and the ability to post something without being near the target or any immediate comeback emboldens people to be far more vicious and heartless than they would normally be.

We should of course remember that the trolls themselves are to blame. nobody forces them to post in the way that they do, however they are given the platform to enable themselves and that is something that should be questioned going forwards.

Even using real names doesn't seem to make a huge difference when they are hidden behind a screen and some fibre optics.

SB

it's not just trolls, it's men sending pictures to woman of their genitals without asking across all platforms, racist posts, it's all not a good story and the fun has gone out of it now imo.
Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:55 - Mar 30 with 1247 viewsStokieBlue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:52 - Mar 30 by davblue

it's not just trolls, it's men sending pictures to woman of their genitals without asking across all platforms, racist posts, it's all not a good story and the fun has gone out of it now imo.

Don't all those things fall under the umbrella of trolling?

Certainly I would say my posts apply to them as well.

SB

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:58 - Mar 30 with 1239 viewslongtimefan

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:41 - Mar 30 by jeera

Then you missed the context and for the main the comments did not start that way, nor were they about the podcast, but a tweet from those people.

This really doesn't need dragging up though.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 13:45]

As I said I had no intention of being disrespectful, it’s incredibly sad someone could be pushed towards something like this. It was more a case of highlighting people say things on all forms of social media without thinking about the consequences. By the way I don’t do twitter or listen to ITFC related podcasts.
Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 14:14 - Mar 30 with 1203 viewsKropotkin123

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:55 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

Don't all those things fall under the umbrella of trolling?

Certainly I would say my posts apply to them as well.

SB

I think none of them are trolling. Trolling seems to have morphed into this euphemism for abuse.

I remember when trolling was used as a fun, innocent thing. A nice image followed by "photoshopped" in the comments. Or, someone falsely linking a new player to the club.

The transcending middle ground between this being someone who would start arguments between two rival opinions for their own amusement, which was less than innocent.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 14:15]

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 14:29 - Mar 30 with 1163 viewsDarth_Koont

Tragic story.

Of course, there is bullying, trolling and people taking it too far in the younger generation. No doubt about that.

But I get the impression at least that there’s a bit more of that ironic take on it amongst those who have grown up with social media. Plus they use social media socially as an extension of their normal conversations rather than another world and another identity.

Just my general, non-academic experience and talking about the risks and dangers with two teenage daughters. Would be interesting to see what the effects really are and whether there are other factors before it’s automatically blamed on social media. Which at the end of the day might just be a new format/media for the same underlying problems.

Pronouns: He/Him

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 14:40 - Mar 30 with 1115 viewsSwansea_Blue

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:31 - Mar 30 by davblue

I think that's very much the case. It's having a profoundly adverse effect on many, from simply being a time suck and stopping you doing things that are more useful(which is pretty much anything else!) through to the impacts on mental health. I'm not sure why people don't disengage with it. I wouldn't have social media apps on my phone for example, which is a really easy step to avoid wasting time on it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 14:42 - Mar 30 with 1107 viewsDarth_Koont

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:43 - Mar 30 by clive_baker

Good post. This was what I was fumbling around for in mine.

Essentially, is it really the technology or the people? I lean towards the latter (even if we need to be wary of the technology too).

Pronouns: He/Him

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 15:09 - Mar 30 with 1064 viewsRyorry

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:38 - Mar 30 by Kropotkin123

Seems like it was the tipping point, rather than the core issues. Potentially a reminder to us on here too, to be civil with those we disagree with. Because something insignificant to us may be a lot more significant to the recipient.

I have over 1K followers acquired over 9 years & apart from a couple of minor incidents in that time, I don't find Twitter a problem at all, because as I've said several times before, it all depends who you follow, who you allow to follow you, and the option that's available to completely block people so they can't see your posts & you don't see theirs unless you specifically choose to.

Fb has a similar block facility, and is very useful for specific interest groups, whether that's football, birdwatching, anti-fracking or whatever - these groups tend to be 'closed' and new members monitored in their posting, so are pretty safe. Local community groups, however, are shocking for abuse, trolling & WUMs - and that's despite people using their real names. I stopped using mine pretty quickly!

It is a big problem on here that you cannot completely block anybody, ie stop them seeing what you post, & them then replying with abuse of one kind or another. This means the same people are able to carry being abusive to other individuals over a period of years, even decades (assuming most people want to carry on posting here because it's the best ITFC site & interesting/useful forum in other ways). The long-term wars between certain individuals also tend to be rather tedious for other posters.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 15:13 - Mar 30 with 1053 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I feel like this a lot of the time. The internet is not kind to those who have autism. An absolute minefield.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 17:25 - Mar 30 with 920 viewsMullet

Apparantly twitter is much better than Facebook... on 13:58 - Mar 30 by longtimefan

As I said I had no intention of being disrespectful, it’s incredibly sad someone could be pushed towards something like this. It was more a case of highlighting people say things on all forms of social media without thinking about the consequences. By the way I don’t do twitter or listen to ITFC related podcasts.

That makes your comment even more unfortunate given the behaviour and hypocrisy which fuels such bad blood .

It’s testament to TWTD that those who hate it, tend to have been caught out and can’t hold their hands up.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Apparantly Ebola is much better than the Marburg virus... (n/t) on 21:31 - Mar 30 with 794 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024