Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good for Norway 09:19 - Mar 31 with 1234 viewsHARRY10

'We should think about the purpose of football and why so many love our sport. That corruption, modern-day slavery and a high number of workers’ deaths are the fundament to our most important tournament, the World Cup, is totally unacceptable.'

'For a long time Norwegians supporters have felt that football has been taken away from them by the people at the top level, that football’s true values have been sacrificed by greed and corruption, selling its soul to the highest bidder and, conversely, sacrificing the lives of the globe’s poorest. '

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/30/norway-boycott-qatar-world
Good for Norway on 09:29 - Mar 31 with 1150 viewsHerbivore

Capitalism gonna capitalism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good for Norway on 09:31 - Mar 31 with 1145 viewsHARRY10

Good for Norway on 09:29 - Mar 31 by Herbivore

Capitalism gonna capitalism.

it's not capitalism per se
Good for Norway on 09:46 - Mar 31 with 1106 viewsMookamoo

Good for them, and I don't want to be disrespectful to Norway, but them boycotting won't make a huge difference. Best they could do is go and protest during the tournament and goad FIFA into chucking them out.

Plus they should be directing this at FIFA for allowing a state like Qatar to host it in the first place. Lobby for a charter that all WC hosts and participants have to sign up to, protecting workers, women's and LGBT rights.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 9:46]
Good for Norway on 09:54 - Mar 31 with 1070 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Suspect that the delay in taking a vote on this might be to assess any support they might get, if any, from other football associations. A unilateral withdrawal will send a strong statement, but unfortunately won't bring about much real change. However, the Norwegians could start a landslide, if others join them, which might just be enough to bring about some positive change for football at the upper echelons. Power to the people!
Good for Norway on 09:55 - Mar 31 with 1062 viewsHerbivore

Good for Norway on 09:46 - Mar 31 by Mookamoo

Good for them, and I don't want to be disrespectful to Norway, but them boycotting won't make a huge difference. Best they could do is go and protest during the tournament and goad FIFA into chucking them out.

Plus they should be directing this at FIFA for allowing a state like Qatar to host it in the first place. Lobby for a charter that all WC hosts and participants have to sign up to, protecting workers, women's and LGBT rights.

The problem is that if these countries have to spend money ensuring safe conditions for workers and on paying them a proper wage, they won't have the money to bribe FIFA officials for their vote. It's a real bind.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good for Norway on 10:05 - Mar 31 with 1034 viewsMookamoo

Good for Norway on 09:55 - Mar 31 by Herbivore

The problem is that if these countries have to spend money ensuring safe conditions for workers and on paying them a proper wage, they won't have the money to bribe FIFA officials for their vote. It's a real bind.

Instead of banning Sepp Blatter, give him a paint brush and make him stay in a worker's camp.
Good for Norway on 10:16 - Mar 31 with 994 viewsHARRY10

Good for Norway on 09:46 - Mar 31 by Mookamoo

Putting this out there will help, as I’m sure it echoes the thoughts of so many football fans here, and worldwide

And the good news is that the power of the keyboard allows us to voice our protest

There's a plenty of commentators, pundits and journalists who could do with our thoughts on this being put into their inbox
Good for Norway on 10:47 - Mar 31 with 930 viewsDarth_Koont

Superb. Inspiring to see how it took just one club taking a stand for it to snowball. Be interesting to see how far it goes before it runs into a block.

I think sport shouldn’t be political but that’s why “sportwashing” itself is wrong in the first place. And I’m just about old enough to remember the sport boycott that kept apartheid South Africa on the naughty step and didn’t let it normalise its behaviour. That solidarity seemed a crucial part of the fight.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Good for Norway on 11:39 - Mar 31 with 847 viewsnoggin

Good old little Norway, however, there's little chance that Norway will even qualify for the finals. I really hope other nations take a stand against such blatant corruption.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Good for Norway on 11:50 - Mar 31 with 816 viewsMookamoo

Good for Norway on 10:47 - Mar 31 by Darth_Koont

Superb. Inspiring to see how it took just one club taking a stand for it to snowball. Be interesting to see how far it goes before it runs into a block.

I think sport shouldn’t be political but that’s why “sportwashing” itself is wrong in the first place. And I’m just about old enough to remember the sport boycott that kept apartheid South Africa on the naughty step and didn’t let it normalise its behaviour. That solidarity seemed a crucial part of the fight.

It's that lack of solidarity that will mean it might just fizzle out. There are so many voices vying for attention, this will get highjacked by well meaning arguments about race, the environment, women's rights, capital punishment etc.

What was good about the anti-apartheid movement was it was a single issue of right vs wrong that everyone could get behind.
Good for Norway on 12:03 - Mar 31 with 780 viewsHARRY10

Good for Norway on 10:05 - Mar 31 by Mookamoo

Instead of banning Sepp Blatter, give him a paint brush and make him stay in a worker's camp.

and after, our turnstiles must be due another coat
Good for Norway on 12:42 - Mar 31 with 724 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Excellent. Would be great if others followed suit but they won't. Overseas fans should boycott it.
Good for Norway on 18:55 - Mar 31 with 568 viewsMookamoo

Good for Norway on 12:42 - Mar 31 by PrideOfTheEast

Excellent. Would be great if others followed suit but they won't. Overseas fans should boycott it.

Article from Tony Kroos. I suspect this will be the line from the majority. It was wrong to give them the World Cup, their human rights are appalling, but we won't boycott.

https://www.dw.com/en/toni-kroos-its-wrong-that-the-world-cup-was-awarded-to-qat
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024