Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook's comment annoyed me a little 15:18 - Apr 1 with 2058 viewshype313

"I’ve got to say, I see owners get criticised and I’m not going to go into that, but I don’t understand sometimes the criticism that Marcus has had at the club.

“I just look at the investment he’s put in, continuing even through the pandemic and all the problems.

“The fans are always entitled to their opinion, without a shadow of a doubt, I get that. I’ve only heard so much positivity from Marcus about the club and the plans going forward that I’m actually excited."

Hmm, don't know where to start with this, most of what Cook has said has been positive and true, but he can't just say he doesn't understand why Evans gets critised just because he's had positive conversations with him and not look at the deeper issues over the past 13 years for us as fans, and not understand why Evans isn't on most of our xmas card lists.

We've all been hoodwinked over the years by Evans intermittent positive statements, and I'm as guilty as the next of buying into it, but we're a bit all tired and weary of it now. Especially as ST renewals are just around the corner and suddenly Marcus is re-energised, apologies if I'm skeptical of his soundbites but once bitten twice shy for me.

I truly hope for Cook's sake that it is all positive and things are really changing behind the scenes to give him the best chance of success, but cynicism is sitting on my shoulder, bearing down on me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:20 - Apr 1 with 1807 viewsJ2BLUE

He has to say that doesn't he? Literally nothing to see here.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:21 - Apr 1 with 1789 viewshype313

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:20 - Apr 1 by J2BLUE

Well not really, he could have just said he's excited about the future and things that he's putting in place, rather than saying he doesn't understand why us fans give Evans grief.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:23 - Apr 1 with 1761 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:21 - Apr 1 by hype313

Well not really, he could have just said he's excited about the future and things that he's putting in place, rather than saying he doesn't understand why us fans give Evans grief.

We don't always see the context. He might have been asked about Evans. Maybe he knows the takeover is off and he's trying to build a bridge between the fans and Evans.

Again, he's not going to say anything else.

Truly impaired.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:23 - Apr 1 with 1757 viewsSteve_M

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:20 - Apr 1 by J2BLUE

Also wait until he's been here 18 months....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:25 - Apr 1 with 1749 viewsSwansea_Blue

"I’ve only heard so much positivity from Marcus about the club and the plans going forward that I’m actually excited."

Yeah, most of us fell for that too at the start. 13 years of non-delivery gets rid of any such delusions.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:26 - Apr 1 with 1740 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:23 - Apr 1 by Steve_M

Also wait until he's been here 18 months....

Ha, yea, precisely.

Truly impaired.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:26 - Apr 1 with 1735 viewschrismakin

Fair comment

There are owners out there that have used bank loans etc to cover costs of clubs

If my projections were correct yesturday then since the pandemic began M.E would have invested at least £14-15 million into the club over the past 16-18 months based on his usual yearly input. Plus additional to cover the cost of the pandemic hit. With no external debt to the club to do so.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 15:27]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:26 - Apr 1 with 1733 viewshype313

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:25 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

"I’ve only heard so much positivity from Marcus about the club and the plans going forward that I’m actually excited."

Yeah, most of us fell for that too at the start. 13 years of non-delivery gets rid of any such delusions.

That's what I'm saying, it's like he doesn't see or can feel that there is an issue between the fans and the owner.

Maybe Phil should have given him the heads up...

Login to get fewer ads

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:29 - Apr 1 with 1710 viewsgtsb1966

If Evans isn't going to sell, and i don't think he is, i actually think he's going to give Cook considerable funds to mould his own squad this summer.
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:33 - Apr 1 with 1689 viewshype313

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:29 - Apr 1 by gtsb1966

If Evans isn't going to sell, and i don't think he is, i actually think he's going to give Cook considerable funds to mould his own squad this summer.

Can't see it, we're coming out of a pandemic where everyone has been crippled financially, just can't see Evans throwing cash around, Phil has mentioned on numerous occasions that it will be mainly free agents again this summer, with or without new owners.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:35 - Apr 1 with 1676 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:26 - Apr 1 by hype313

That's what I'm saying, it's like he doesn't see or can feel that there is an issue between the fans and the owner.

Maybe Phil should have given him the heads up...

I would expect he can't say much else. But (and it's a big but) if Cook genuinely thinks ME has been positive for us, then we may have a bit of a problem.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:36 - Apr 1 with 1669 viewsStewart27

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:29 - Apr 1 by gtsb1966

Based on what?

This is exactly what he wants us to think.
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:38 - Apr 1 with 1651 viewschrismakin

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:36 - Apr 1 by Stewart27

Based on what?

This is exactly what he wants us to think.

Probably based on the fact we have 26 odd players out of contract, there are transfer fee restrictions in place anyway, so we will be well positioned when it comes to fighting for other out of contract players of which there are 1000 available in the summer to go looking at.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 15:39]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:41 - Apr 1 with 1638 viewsgtsb1966

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:33 - Apr 1 by hype313

Can't see it, we're coming out of a pandemic where everyone has been crippled financially, just can't see Evans throwing cash around, Phil has mentioned on numerous occasions that it will be mainly free agents again this summer, with or without new owners.

We'll be in a good position to sign the best of those because of wages. I just think ME will back him.
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:41 - Apr 1 with 1632 viewshype313

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:41 - Apr 1 by gtsb1966

We'll be in a good position to sign the best of those because of wages. I just think ME will back him.

Ahh wages, apologies, thought you meant fees.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:45 - Apr 1 with 1615 viewsFixed_It

Cook has just come from Wigan - a club in financial turmoil and clearly mismanaged. He will see Marcus Evans as a safe custodian in comparison, which he is. Obviously, we as fans want more after years of steady decline, but you can't blame Cook for seeing things differently. At least for now, anyway.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:56 - Apr 1 with 1574 viewshomer_123

I'd be more inclined to focus on what happens on the field of play than what he says.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 16:13 - Apr 1 with 1515 viewspatrickswell

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:33 - Apr 1 by hype313

Indeed, one of the most interesting things about the possible takeover is that people have mainly been excited about fresh thinking, fresh ideas and infrastructure being put back in place rather than thinking about an increased transfer kitty.

The sense that Evans is reactive and indecisive is what's killed any sense of enthusiasm towards him and why he's seen as an impediment to progress.
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 16:36 - Apr 1 with 1458 viewsPositivelyPortman

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:25 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

I’ve said this countless times.
Evans gets a manager in and puts him on a really good salary, part of the deal is to not moan about how the club is run, or put down Evans.
This is ok for a year or so, then the reality hits - we are absolutely without hope and you can’t have any dosh to sort it out.
From MM to Lambert, it’s been the same old story.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 16:44 - Apr 1 with 1441 viewschrismakin

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 16:36 - Apr 1 by PositivelyPortman

I’ve said this countless times.
Evans gets a manager in and puts him on a really good salary, part of the deal is to not moan about how the club is run, or put down Evans.
This is ok for a year or so, then the reality hits - we are absolutely without hope and you can’t have any dosh to sort it out.
From MM to Lambert, it’s been the same old story.

I think it's a mixture

Agreed, M.E has lots to answer for

However managers have come in, said a few things and M.E has supported them, then down the line things aren't good enough.

Lambert for example... got money spent on things like Phil says that weren't really a pressing priority,

Cook, having been at Wigan would definately see Ipswich as a step up regardless of M.E's failings, here's hoping Cook is the manager M.E can trust and they sit down and sort some of the pressing things out first.

Just like Cook's reign, we just have to wait and see

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 16:53 - Apr 1 with 1424 viewsVaughan8

Blame the people asking the questions. I'm assuming his was an answer to a question?

As someone else said, what do you want him to say? Attack the owner who has just appointed him?
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 18:18 - Apr 1 with 1258 viewsGlasgowBlue

Aren’t those the same comments that Lambert used to trot out before he went bonkers!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 19:05 - Apr 1 with 1152 viewsOwainG1992

Give it a rest.
You expect him to come out and slate the owner?
Bloody slow news day.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 01:45 - Apr 2 with 863 viewsrgp1

Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 15:45 - Apr 1 by Fixed_It

Cook has just come from Wigan - a club in financial turmoil and clearly mismanaged. He will see Marcus Evans as a safe custodian in comparison, which he is. Obviously, we as fans want more after years of steady decline, but you can't blame Cook for seeing things differently. At least for now, anyway.

I like most like his cheeky chappy persona. However at some point some glimmer of improvement has to be seen. Indeed I find it quite alarming that he said the squad don't think they can get promoted. On that basis I'm writing off this season in readiness for our friendly neighbourhood scouser to deliver the goods in the summer.
Cook's comment annoyed me a little on 02:11 - Apr 2 with 835 viewswkj

Investment is a weird one - Yes, he stopped stumping up as much after PJ left the job. Some reputable types claim Mick didn't ask for a lot of money, Hurst got a lot of fiscal freedom after we sold players and he did give Lambert funds for KVY.

However, he has also been said to penny pinch around the general running and admin areas of the club.

The point being, in the eyes of the managers - he probably has invested in the club and put money in.

I still think most of his failings come down to his hands off style of management, as well as general cluelessness in what he does and doesn't rubber stamp - however - In the eyes of Cook, Marcus' investment in the first team probably doesn't look to bad at all historically.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024