Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 seasons, to become 3 17:30 - Apr 2 with 3809 viewstextbackup

that we've been in league 1, and I haven't seen a single player that i'd say was brilliant. what I have seen however is multiple solid players that are physical, aggressive, fit, and can follow instructions of how to play.

I long for 5/6/7 additions this coming closed season, all at around 6'2", big strong blokes that have some character. i'm fed up of watching skinny small little weeds. you never see our players arguing/shouting at each other mid game. nobody wants to win enough to care.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

2 seasons, to become 3 on 18:12 - Apr 2 with 3322 viewsN2_Blue

this 100%

I want a team of experienced physical big blokes, mixed with pacey raw youngsters with a point to prove.

Mix those two together and even without a huge amount of talent i guarantee you will get out of this division. Rotherham, Barnsley et al have done it multiple times.

I'm sure Cook will do something along these lines

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 18:20 - Apr 2 with 3278 viewsbobbyramsey

We have a bunch of fairies and nymphs. Don't exhale too vigorously you'll blow them away....
2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:07 - Apr 2 with 3191 viewsitfcjoe

You could really see at times today how much energy abs running power we lacked, the kid that scored their goal was all over the place pressing.

For whatever reason, and it won’t be down to the players really, we haven’t conditioned ourselves as a squad to run and run. Will be down to the style the manager wanted - but it’s noticeable how little energy we have

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:13 - Apr 2 with 3176 viewstextbackup

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:07 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

You could really see at times today how much energy abs running power we lacked, the kid that scored their goal was all over the place pressing.

For whatever reason, and it won’t be down to the players really, we haven’t conditioned ourselves as a squad to run and run. Will be down to the style the manager wanted - but it’s noticeable how little energy we have

I saw on twitter earlier our conditioning coach (possibly wrong) has left his role at the club after 12 years.

seems a few people leaving of late, wonder if theres anything remotely interesting behind that

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:15 - Apr 2 with 3153 viewsLeoMuff

Sounds rather like a side Mick would be proud of.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:22 - Apr 2 with 3134 viewstextbackup

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:15 - Apr 2 by LeoMuff

theres no getting away from the fact that in L1 you need that. or, that if he was our manager in L1 he'd have got us up. (and I was a MM outer)

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:28 - Apr 2 with 3117 viewsSeablu

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:15 - Apr 2 by LeoMuff

Odd isn’t it?
3 years later we’ve somehow assembled a spineless and pathetic squad of no-marks that is the very antithesis of MM’s philosophies.
The solution?
Build a squad in the style of MM having moaned the f**k about it when we had it.
Some people have more neck than a brazen giraffe in a floral cravatte.
2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:30 - Apr 2 with 3102 viewsitfcjoe

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:13 - Apr 2 by textbackup

I saw on twitter earlier our conditioning coach (possibly wrong) has left his role at the club after 12 years.

seems a few people leaving of late, wonder if theres anything remotely interesting behind that

That guy was the academy physio for most of the time so wouldn’t read much into it - those teams can run and run as it is!

Login to get fewer ads

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:32 - Apr 2 with 3087 viewstextbackup

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:28 - Apr 2 by Seablu

Odd isn’t it?
3 years later we’ve somehow assembled a spineless and pathetic squad of no-marks that is the very antithesis of MM’s philosophies.
The solution?
Build a squad in the style of MM having moaned the f**k about it when we had it.
Some people have more neck than a brazen giraffe in a floral cravatte.

you get the leagues differ, and the requirements/ability of player differ what we need because of that?

Hyam at the time was a very limited championship midfielder, especially alongside a like minded defensive player in skuse. but hyam then would have been more than decent for league 1.

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:20 - Apr 2 with 2986 viewsSeablu

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:32 - Apr 2 by textbackup

you get the leagues differ, and the requirements/ability of player differ what we need because of that?

Hyam at the time was a very limited championship midfielder, especially alongside a like minded defensive player in skuse. but hyam then would have been more than decent for league 1.

I’ve read it twice and I think I get it now.
You didn’t like rhubarb crumble & custard so you moaned.
You disliked apple crumble & custard even more.
You hated blackberry crumble & custard with a passion.
Now you’ve realised custard was the problem.
Righto.
2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:34 - Apr 2 with 2944 viewstextbackup

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:20 - Apr 2 by Seablu

I’ve read it twice and I think I get it now.
You didn’t like rhubarb crumble & custard so you moaned.
You disliked apple crumble & custard even more.
You hated blackberry crumble & custard with a passion.
Now you’ve realised custard was the problem.
Righto.

yeah, you don't get it, but one day it'll click.

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:40 - Apr 2 with 2921 viewsSeablu

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:34 - Apr 2 by textbackup

yeah, you don't get it, but one day it'll click.

Doubt it, I’m too old to change now.
Thanks for trying though.
Jam roly-poly?
2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:43 - Apr 2 with 2908 viewsjeera

Worst Spice Girls song ever.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:48 - Apr 2 with 2903 viewsLesta_Tractor

Our midfield would improve immensely if we could add a Guirane N'Daw type player

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:54 - Apr 2 with 2873 viewsstrikalite

2 seasons, to become 3 on 21:48 - Apr 2 by Lesta_Tractor

Our midfield would improve immensely if we could add a Guirane N'Daw type player

Just who was in my head today on my Town wish list that was..
2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:08 - Apr 2 with 2847 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

2 seasons, to become 3 on 20:07 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

This is the bit I struggle with, "it won’t be down to the players really".

Really?

So professional sportsmen don't have any responsibility for their own stamina and fitness?

That this group have been allowed to get away with it for so long is a tragedy and I'm not buying into "it isn't their fault". Surely, whatever style the various managers wanted, it is beholden on the players to keep themselves in the best condition possible and at least in a fit enough state to play football for 90 minutes a couple of times a week?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:36 - Apr 2 with 2804 viewsitfcjoe

2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:08 - Apr 2 by You_Bloo_Right

Really?

So professional sportsmen don't have any responsibility for their own stamina and fitness?

That this group have been allowed to get away with it for so long is a tragedy and I'm not buying into "it isn't their fault". Surely, whatever style the various managers wanted, it is beholden on the players to keep themselves in the best condition possible and at least in a fit enough state to play football for 90 minutes a couple of times a week?

Managers condition their players to play the style they want them to play - just looking at the top level the difference on conditioning between a Juergen Klopp Liverpool side compared to a Pep Guardiola Man City side will be stark.

Both teams will be fit, but Liverpool are a side that press relentlessly so their front players will be conditioned for lots of sprints and high intensity running, their CBS won’t be. Man City players rest on the ball, they will all be fit but won’t expect for their players to have so many high intensity sprints so won’t condition for it.

A Sam Allardyce side, or a Mick McCarthy side, rely on physicality. Strong running, powerful players, players who can run and run but not the same intensity of running.

All our players are fit, well Norwood may be an exception, and fit enough to get through games - but they’ve been conditioned for Paul Lambert ball, and it’s clear Cook wants more intensity in the running, especially in the pressing aspect of the game - it’s not something that can be implemented mid season.

2 seasons, to become 3 on 23:55 - Apr 2 with 2642 viewsjayessess

2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:36 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

Managers condition their players to play the style they want them to play - just looking at the top level the difference on conditioning between a Juergen Klopp Liverpool side compared to a Pep Guardiola Man City side will be stark.

Both teams will be fit, but Liverpool are a side that press relentlessly so their front players will be conditioned for lots of sprints and high intensity running, their CBS won’t be. Man City players rest on the ball, they will all be fit but won’t expect for their players to have so many high intensity sprints so won’t condition for it.

A Sam Allardyce side, or a Mick McCarthy side, rely on physicality. Strong running, powerful players, players who can run and run but not the same intensity of running.

All our players are fit, well Norwood may be an exception, and fit enough to get through games - but they’ve been conditioned for Paul Lambert ball, and it’s clear Cook wants more intensity in the running, especially in the pressing aspect of the game - it’s not something that can be implemented mid season.

Don't imagine footballers are generally encouraged to design their own fitness programmes, either?

"Sorry boss, I know the coaches and sports science people specifically told me to do this much work, but I doubled it and now I've twanged my hamstring". I'm sure that'd go down great.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

2 seasons, to become 3 on 00:13 - Apr 3 with 2614 viewseddiespearitt03

Let us put a few things into perspective. As someone else mentioned in this post about Man City find time to rest. The ball is moved constantly between players in all area,s of the pitch. This includes the attacking third of the pitch.

League one football is vastly different in terms of footballers personal ability, team unit ability and confidence with the ball. Unfortunately we do not keep the ball long enough to rest. We are still in training ground mode and sad to say, we allow other teams to play.
2 seasons, to become 3 on 01:48 - Apr 3 with 2534 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:36 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

Well I will have to bow to your superior knowledge but, as you mention Man City and Liverpool, when City beat Liverpool 4-1 at Anfield last month it seemed to me as if their forward players played an exemplary pressing game.

As a City player said (sorry can't find who, just the quote here https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/liverpool-v-manchester-city-premier-league-mat

"It’s something we worked on in training to press from the front and you see the rewards in games like today."

All the more remarkable if they are not conditioned for it.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 01:59 - Apr 3 with 2524 viewsbournemouthblue

We haven't seen anyone brilliant?

Certainly not in our side, Ivan Toney is proving quite a success, there must be others out there?

It's a poor league unquestionably and I've no doubt there's a fair gap between it and the Championship.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

2 seasons, to become 3 on 07:11 - Apr 3 with 2380 viewsitfcjoe

2 seasons, to become 3 on 01:48 - Apr 3 by You_Bloo_Right

Well I will have to bow to your superior knowledge but, as you mention Man City and Liverpool, when City beat Liverpool 4-1 at Anfield last month it seemed to me as if their forward players played an exemplary pressing game.

As a City player said (sorry can't find who, just the quote here https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/liverpool-v-manchester-city-premier-league-mat

"It’s something we worked on in training to press from the front and you see the rewards in games like today."

All the more remarkable if they are not conditioned for it.

I haven’t watched much PL this season so may be a year out with my references - but ITFC wise we haven’t been a pressing team all season, presumably by design from the previous management team, and we subsequently don’t look like we have the fitness levels to do so as Cook wants us to do.

Thats down to how they have been conditioned, and is one area you imagine will be very different when Cook has a pre season with them to get them conditioned for his style

2 seasons, to become 3 on 07:33 - Apr 3 with 2324 viewstextbackup

2 seasons, to become 3 on 01:59 - Apr 3 by bournemouthblue

We haven't seen anyone brilliant?

Certainly not in our side, Ivan Toney is proving quite a success, there must be others out there?

It's a poor league unquestionably and I've no doubt there's a fair gap between it and the Championship.

So you agree then, we haven’t seen anyone brilliant.

Toney has gone on to impress in league above. Was he brilliant against us? Nope

2 seasons, to become 3 on 13:30 - May 11 with 1830 viewsTieDyedIn95

2 seasons, to become 3 on 22:08 - Apr 2 by You_Bloo_Right

Really?

Many have already paid the price for not performing with more to follow I suspect.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

2 seasons, to become 3 on 13:36 - May 11 with 1763 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I don't want all of them to be 6' 2" but 6 or 7 players that can meet the ball with their head when under pressure without mis-timing their jump so the ball sails over them would be a good start.

Having watched all season long. Heading in midfield, up top and at times in defence has been one of our big weaknesses.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024