Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some numbers on long covid 08:55 - Apr 3 with 1005 viewsStokieBlue

The ONS has said that 122,000 NHS workers have been diagnosed with long covid closely followed by 114,000 teachers and a total of 1.1m across the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/03/nhs-feels-strain-tens-thousands-

Some pretty awful numbers there which are going to have a long-term impact on the individuals and also the NHS and schools.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some numbers on long covid on 08:58 - Apr 3 with 981 viewsGaryCooper

How is long Covid diagnosed?
Some numbers on long covid on 09:03 - Apr 3 with 971 viewsStokieBlue

Some numbers on long covid on 08:58 - Apr 3 by GaryCooper

How is long Covid diagnosed?

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/coronavirus/nice-defines-long-covid-as-symptom

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3489

Is there a reason why you ask?

SB

Some numbers on long covid on 09:14 - Apr 3 with 936 viewsGaryCooper

Some numbers on long covid on 09:03 - Apr 3 by StokieBlue

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/coronavirus/nice-defines-long-covid-as-symptom

SB

Thanks,
Some numbers on long covid on 09:19 - Apr 3 with 921 viewsWD19

Some numbers on long covid on 09:03 - Apr 3 by StokieBlue

SB

Gary inadvertently highlights a real challenge here. Long COVID is clearly very real and is going to hammer some professions, and I suspect what we are seeing is only the tip of the long term healthcare iceberg.

However, amongst my staff I am already seeing a pattern in those unfortunate enough to be struck down (ie It is exactly those individuals you would expect to be). I suspect this is going to be a widespread phenomenon and undermine public sympathy.
Some numbers on long covid on 09:25 - Apr 3 with 888 viewsGlasgowBlue

My sister in law has been diagnosed with long Covid. When she had Covid in September she only suffered very mild symptoms but since then she can’t shake off the lethargy or joint pain.

Makes you wonder what she will be like in old age.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some numbers on long covid on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 876 viewsStokieBlue

Some numbers on long covid on 09:19 - Apr 3 by WD19

Gary inadvertently highlights a real challenge here. Long COVID is clearly very real and is going to hammer some professions, and I suspect what we are seeing is only the tip of the long term healthcare iceberg.

However, amongst my staff I am already seeing a pattern in those unfortunate enough to be struck down (ie It is exactly those individuals you would expect to be). I suspect this is going to be a widespread phenomenon and undermine public sympathy.

You better not say that to anyone at work or you'll be up in front of the committee!

SB

Some numbers on long covid on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 875 viewsfactual_blue

Why is it 'long' Covid? Or is that just in the press? Surely it's chronic Covid as opposed to acute Covid?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Some numbers on long covid on 09:31 - Apr 3 with 870 viewsStokieBlue

Some numbers on long covid on 09:29 - Apr 3 by factual_blue

Why is it 'long' Covid? Or is that just in the press? Surely it's chronic Covid as opposed to acute Covid?

No, that is the medical term.

It refers to symptoms that persist for longer than 12 weeks from getting Covid.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Some numbers on long covid on 09:38 - Apr 3 with 847 viewsfactual_blue

Some numbers on long covid on 09:31 - Apr 3 by StokieBlue

No, that is the medical term.

It refers to symptoms that persist for longer than 12 weeks from getting Covid.

SB

I'm disappointed in the medical profession then.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Some numbers on long covid on 09:43 - Apr 3 with 838 viewsWeWereZombies

Some numbers on long covid on 09:29 - Apr 3 by StokieBlue

You better not say that to anyone at work or you'll be up in front of the committee!

SB

I wouldn't be so sure, if you listened to the recent 'Desert Island Discs' with Professor Simon Wessely you will know that he had a struggle when he started working on Gulf War Syndrome, sometimes the very sufferers he was trying to help felt stigmatised by being labelled as shirkers because of the attention that his work drew. To the extent that a media hate campaign started to attack the Professor:

'So the view was, you know, you were going to be considered a shirker, a malingerer making it all up. And I suppose I thought perhaps naively at that time that we could do some good here because I thought, well, we can't treat people worse. They weren't getting any treatment at all. But it became, as I mentioned, the controversies that were there never went away. And it became an unpleasant area to be specializing in, not clinically.

The patients were fine. And to this day I still see them. I must have seen, I don't know, well over a thousand by now. And I wouldn't do that if it wasn't rewarding. But the public side of it became very toxic. Yes.

[Lauren Laverne)
I mean, you never discovered a cure, but certainly pioneered some treatments with some success. Yes. But you received hate mail, even death threats.

[Simon Wessely}
Well, that's true, but that wasn't really the problem. These things happen to lots of people. It was more the constant scrutiny, the pressure, the stalking, the, you know, referrals to regulatory bodies. It was that kind of things that was the most difficult to bear...

[Lauren Laverne]
Where was that coming from?

[Simon Wessely]
Was coming from some groups of people, not, as I say, not from my patients at all, but from the groups who didn't want you there because of what you represented. And certainly you can understand why people get very cross and very frustrated and feel denigrated by that kind of dichotomy, that if my problem was remotely psychological or social or psychiatric, it would mean I'm not ill. It would mean I'm actually making it up. And I think it does come down to that fear and it's a reasonable fear that people had.'

https://www.happyscribe.com/public/desert-island-discs/professor-sir-simon-wesse

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Some numbers on long covid on 10:06 - Apr 3 with 806 viewsDebsyAngel

I appreciate that this is a genuine condition, but it really is not a new thing.

The symptoms are identical to post viral fatigue, and many have had this for years following viral infections and stressful life events long before covid was around.

I myself was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue around 8 years ago, and with each cold/infection I have suffered over the years, have got worse. The virus I got over 2 years ago has just about finished me off and is worse that others I have had, as I have breathlessness, chest pains, rib pain, developed ectopic heartbeats, joint pains and my fatigue is the worst I have ever experienced. I also developed chronic anxiety with that last virus - just came out of nowhere and doubt it will ever go.

I just hope out of this long covid, that doctors at long last wake up to the fact post viral fatigue actually exists - the attitude of most of them in my experience, has been nothing more than insulting, saying it is "all in my head".
Some numbers on long covid on 10:11 - Apr 3 with 787 viewsStokieBlue

Some numbers on long covid on 09:43 - Apr 3 by WeWereZombies

I wouldn't be so sure, if you listened to the recent 'Desert Island Discs' with Professor Simon Wessely you will know that he had a struggle when he started working on Gulf War Syndrome, sometimes the very sufferers he was trying to help felt stigmatised by being labelled as shirkers because of the attention that his work drew. To the extent that a media hate campaign started to attack the Professor:

'So the view was, you know, you were going to be considered a shirker, a malingerer making it all up. And I suppose I thought perhaps naively at that time that we could do some good here because I thought, well, we can't treat people worse. They weren't getting any treatment at all. But it became, as I mentioned, the controversies that were there never went away. And it became an unpleasant area to be specializing in, not clinically.

The patients were fine. And to this day I still see them. I must have seen, I don't know, well over a thousand by now. And I wouldn't do that if it wasn't rewarding. But the public side of it became very toxic. Yes.

[Lauren Laverne)
I mean, you never discovered a cure, but certainly pioneered some treatments with some success. Yes. But you received hate mail, even death threats.

[Simon Wessely}
Well, that's true, but that wasn't really the problem. These things happen to lots of people. It was more the constant scrutiny, the pressure, the stalking, the, you know, referrals to regulatory bodies. It was that kind of things that was the most difficult to bear...

[Lauren Laverne]
Where was that coming from?

[Simon Wessely]
Was coming from some groups of people, not, as I say, not from my patients at all, but from the groups who didn't want you there because of what you represented. And certainly you can understand why people get very cross and very frustrated and feel denigrated by that kind of dichotomy, that if my problem was remotely psychological or social or psychiatric, it would mean I'm not ill. It would mean I'm actually making it up. And I think it does come down to that fear and it's a reasonable fear that people had.'

https://www.happyscribe.com/public/desert-island-discs/professor-sir-simon-wesse

So maybe I misinterpreted what WD19 said but from the initial reading it looked like he was implying the exact opposite of what you posted?

His implication was the ones you would expect to get it are getting it - ie. those already seen as shirkers before this came along. The implication seemed to be that it was pyschological.

Perhaps I am mistaken though - WD can clear it up :).

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024