Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad Mentality issues 11:24 - Apr 4 with 1296 viewschrismakin

Chambers and PC have mentioned a fair bit about the fragile mentality of the squad

what could possibly have happened over the years to have such a fragile mentality in a professional league club?

You look at the conference sides etc and theyll go on a run of losses, but their desire etc doesn't change, they don't go hiding in games, or struggle to attack, they just aren't at the time very good at winning. With town, it's a complete block of 'how to attack' I just don't understand what can be going round the club to have that effect on not just 1 or 2 players but it seems a massive group of our playing squad.

You watch the bottom 5/6 clubs, they're down there for a reason, but you still don't see any fear in attacking, Wigan last week attacked with purpose when they could, Bristol once they got the hang of us, attacked and tried.

We just don't seem to know what attacking is or how to even go into an attacking phase of play like it's a complete mind block.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Squad Mentality issues on 12:22 - Apr 4 with 1220 viewsBlueBadger

Two incompetent managers more interested in their own egos and self-publicity probably haven't helped.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Squad Mentality issues on 13:29 - Apr 4 with 1170 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Squad Mentality issues on 17:58 - Apr 4 with 1122 viewseddiespearitt03

Squad Mentality issues on 12:22 - Apr 4 by BlueBadger

Two incompetent managers more interested in their own egos and self-publicity probably haven't helped.

That does not only apply to managers trying to "talk up" a poor job. .
Squad Mentality issues on 18:54 - Apr 4 with 1080 viewsAlanG296

Squad Mentality issues on 13:29 - Apr 4 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Wearing a captain's armband does not make you a leader.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 18:55]
Squad Mentality issues on 18:58 - Apr 4 with 1066 viewsWD19

We are in a massive catch 22 situation.

Many of the players are not as good as they think they are.

Conversely they somehow lack confidence.

It’s a grim combination that can probably only be fixed with a massive clear out and restart....with proper leadership injected through the spine of the team.
Squad Mentality issues on 18:58 - Apr 4 with 1067 viewsIpswichKnight

It’s not new though is it, we’ve been bottle jobs for over 50 years, FA cup semi in 73 should have won, 1981 should have won 3 trophies ( we were league champions at 1/2 time on final day but bottled it in 2nd half ). Countless play offs as well.
Squad Mentality issues on 19:25 - Apr 4 with 1043 viewschrismakin

Squad Mentality issues on 18:58 - Apr 4 by IpswichKnight

It’s not new though is it, we’ve been bottle jobs for over 50 years, FA cup semi in 73 should have won, 1981 should have won 3 trophies ( we were league champions at 1/2 time on final day but bottled it in 2nd half ). Countless play offs as well.

But this isnt about losing important games. This is about a concerning lack of mentality when it comes to actually playing the game at league standard.

We can clearly defend. We can clearly move the ball around the midfield and back again with ease. But theres a massive mental block when it comes to doing anything with the ball which is utterly bizarre.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Squad Mentality issues on 20:01 - Apr 4 with 1008 viewswrightsrightglove

A decent sports psychologist would be a high priority for me if I was the manager, along with a massive clear out in the summer, players like Dozzell, Downes, Wolfenden etc. could be massively helped by a psychologist working with them.
Login to get fewer ads

Squad Mentality issues on 20:34 - Apr 4 with 984 viewsnshearman1

Squad Mentality issues on 20:01 - Apr 4 by wrightsrightglove

A decent sports psychologist would be a high priority for me if I was the manager, along with a massive clear out in the summer, players like Dozzell, Downes, Wolfenden etc. could be massively helped by a psychologist working with them.

Totally agree with this - although really we need that sports psychologist NOW, not in summer. And also a total clear-out not only of players but also the coaching staff as they seem incapable of coaching the basics of tackling or passing.
Squad Mentality issues on 08:18 - Apr 5 with 865 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I’m just glad Cook said it and Chambers touched on it. If there are more who are thinking it, but are not saying it (and there will be) then the only way this changes is freshening up the squad.

Two examples for me

1. After Bialkowski left for Millwall, there was an interview with EADT (I think) where he said the squad had accepted relegation in OCTOBER. Most of the squad that went down are still here today. Those that have been brought in, have come from League 1/2 teams. No improvement, no winning mentality and not enough experience.

2. There’s been times we’ve been 5/6/7 points off play offs for example, and enough games left to get into them, and Freddie Sears has come out and said they’re out of reach. They were never out of reach though, but if that’s the mentality of players then they will be out of reach mentally even if they aren’t mathematically.

I’m not singling those two players out, they’re just examples that came to mind. But the mentality of the squad is weak - especially on the pitch.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 8:19]

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Squad Mentality issues on 09:03 - Apr 5 with 811 viewsMattinLondon

Squad Mentality issues on 18:58 - Apr 4 by IpswichKnight

I’m no expert but surly during the early 80s, not winning the league etc was more due to the players being totally shattered? Only using fourteen (I think) players all season and playing three games a week???
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024