Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract 16:04 - Apr 4 with 1932 viewsTractorFrog

Controversial opinion? Maybe, but I am convinced that Aaron Drinan deserves a new contract. Clearly, he is not good enough right now to get us promoted as the main striker next year, but he is good enough to be a backup, and there is clearly a lot of potential in him, despite the fact that he is not exactly a kid anymore. Two examples I can think of where Drinan was pure class were in that beautiful back pass to Teddy Bishop on the opening day against Wigan, which Bishop fired into the post; and that lovely touch against Burton in extra time which suddenly gave him a brilliant chance from nothing. Unfortunately, he messed up that chance, and his only flaw is that he is not a good finisher. But that is something that can be improved with practice, which is why I say he has great potential, and could be better than James Norwood in the future. He also fits perfectly into Cook's 4-2-3-1 system, but even if we are switching to wing-backs for the remainder of the season, I think he deserves a run of games, alongside Norwood, or Troy Parrott if Norwood's injury is a bad one. Last time he had a run of games was in pre-season, and he improved substantially in that time. Next year, I think we will need a new, championship-standard striker, but with James Norwood, Oli Hawkins, and Aaron Drinan as backup.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:07 - Apr 4 with 1578 viewsJ2BLUE

Not for me. The days of padding the squad out wit average players needs to end.

Unless we could loan him out for a season for almost as much as we're paying him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 1562 viewschrismakin

If you didn't have a squad size issue, drinan is one of those subs you'd be happy to have to throw on with 10 to go to be a nuisance, you can't really expect anything more from him other than alot of running.

But to have someone like him, you've got to take away a sub space for someone who could do more than just run around and be a nuisance.

He'd be a good signing for an AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale type side, but not one who has hopes of pushing for a promotion place

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:10 - Apr 4 with 1556 viewsjayessess

This is exactly the strategy where you end up with a massive squad of mediocre players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:17 - Apr 4 with 1519 viewsIpswichKnight

He’s not even average, he’s a non league standard striker who we should be shoving out the door and not wasting a single penny on for next season. We can find far better strikers.
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:28 - Apr 4 with 1467 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:08 - Apr 4 by chrismakin

If you didn't have a squad size issue, drinan is one of those subs you'd be happy to have to throw on with 10 to go to be a nuisance, you can't really expect anything more from him other than alot of running.

But to have someone like him, you've got to take away a sub space for someone who could do more than just run around and be a nuisance.

He'd be a good signing for an AFC Wimbledon, Rochdale type side, but not one who has hopes of pushing for a promotion place

Don't see how a slimmed down squad is going to have space for 4 first team players for 1 position, either.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:29 - Apr 4 with 1461 viewsJamestownPrince

Sorry, seems like a likeable lad, tries his backside off, but at the moment nowhere near a League 1 striker... Conference / Conference South level and perhaps work his way back up.

I expect that we might do the correct thing with Ben Morris and offer him a years deal due to his injuries, he hasn't exactly shown too much in his injury free time at the club neither and we don't really want two players of this ilk (I might be wrong and Morris becomes the next Harry Kane!)
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:38 - Apr 4 with 1430 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:29 - Apr 4 by JamestownPrince

Sorry, seems like a likeable lad, tries his backside off, but at the moment nowhere near a League 1 striker... Conference / Conference South level and perhaps work his way back up.

I expect that we might do the correct thing with Ben Morris and offer him a years deal due to his injuries, he hasn't exactly shown too much in his injury free time at the club neither and we don't really want two players of this ilk (I might be wrong and Morris becomes the next Harry Kane!)

I think they'll both be gone, barring something dramatic happening.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:14 - Apr 4 with 1349 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No. We need strikers who can score goals. If we already had 3 who regularly scored and his work rate somehow complemented them I could see the argument. However, his work rate does not compensate (in my opinion) the fact that he simply isn't good enough and does not have the youth and potential to become what we need should we make it to where we want to be.

Allow Simpson to fulfil his back-up role instead or get another player of Simpson's age but better potential in who can score goals.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:25 - Apr 4 with 1324 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:14 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

No. We need strikers who can score goals. If we already had 3 who regularly scored and his work rate somehow complemented them I could see the argument. However, his work rate does not compensate (in my opinion) the fact that he simply isn't good enough and does not have the youth and potential to become what we need should we make it to where we want to be.

Allow Simpson to fulfil his back-up role instead or get another player of Simpson's age but better potential in who can score goals.

Is Simpson injured? Hasn't scored a single goal for the U23s and I can't remember the last time I saw his name on an U23s team list.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:30 - Apr 4 with 1306 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:25 - Apr 4 by jayessess

Is Simpson injured? Hasn't scored a single goal for the U23s and I can't remember the last time I saw his name on an U23s team list.

Sorry, went with Simpson because I thought he was the next in line aside from Morris and Folami and someone the other day said they are about the same age as Drinan and not as good as him.

At the end of the day, we either need whoever is next in lone from the U23s to be the back up or, if they are clearly worse than Drinan with less potential, we need to get in someone who does have that potential and can be a regular U23 player and provide the back-up role. To me there is no point in Drinan being that as he doesn't provide what we need (goals and assists regularly) or have the potential to play at Championship level.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:41 - Apr 4 with 1279 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:30 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sorry, went with Simpson because I thought he was the next in line aside from Morris and Folami and someone the other day said they are about the same age as Drinan and not as good as him.

At the end of the day, we either need whoever is next in lone from the U23s to be the back up or, if they are clearly worse than Drinan with less potential, we need to get in someone who does have that potential and can be a regular U23 player and provide the back-up role. To me there is no point in Drinan being that as he doesn't provide what we need (goals and assists regularly) or have the potential to play at Championship level.

Drinan b. May 1998 (23 next month)
Morris b. July 1999 (22 this summer)
Folami b. June 1999 (22 this summer)
Simpson b. Feb 2002 (just turned 19)

Morris and Folami are a year younger, but still too old to be persisting with if they aren't going to be at least 1st team fringe players next season. Morris maybe you keep if the consensus amongst the coaching staff is that he has a lot of potential. Folami's been on the fringes for Melbourne Victory, so I can't see him getting another year off the back of that.

Simpson is a fair bit younger and under contract until Summer 2022, so I'm genuinely wondering where the hell he's got to.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:47 - Apr 4 with 1266 viewsmatt92

You'd give a player, a striker (whose job it is to score and create goals), a new contract based on one good pass, and a scuffed chance?

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:50 - Apr 4 with 1251 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:47 - Apr 4 by matt92

You'd give a player, a striker (whose job it is to score and create goals), a new contract based on one good pass, and a scuffed chance?

I think it is more that he works hard.

Doesn't it tell us something that a player who works hard stands out for working hard despite clearly not being good enough? It tells us exactly where the team has gone wrong and I am sure Cook will not stand for it. This pre-season is going to be a shock for any players still here, I am sure.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 17:55 - Apr 4 with 1243 viewsjas0999

Like many, he is a very average player. Time for him to find a challenge elsewhere.
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:22 - Apr 4 with 1185 viewsBLUEBEAT

People seem to forget we are a League One team now.

We cannot pick and choose as much as we used to.

Aside from youth product, we have to take on distinctly average players and see if we can improve/mould them. Per OP, I think there is something in Drinnan.

Poll: W or W

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:26 - Apr 4 with 1174 viewswkj

We only need Drinan if we can't get someone better. I have no faith in any of our main strikers (letting Parrott off the hook a bit)

Norwood, who is better than Drinan, will never be good enough in the Championship, not unless the team around him are a cut above. So we shouldn't have him as our main striker - Cook needs to find someone good enough for L1 (assuming we don't get promoted), but on the cusp of being good enough for the Championship - we do not have that in any of our strikers, and one could go as far to say any of our players at all.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 18:29]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:28 - Apr 4 with 1166 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:22 - Apr 4 by BLUEBEAT

People seem to forget we are a League One team now.

We cannot pick and choose as much as we used to.

Aside from youth product, we have to take on distinctly average players and see if we can improve/mould them. Per OP, I think there is something in Drinnan.

That's how we stay in League One forever.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:33 - Apr 4 with 1155 viewswkj

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:28 - Apr 4 by jayessess

That's how we stay in League One forever.

This... you don;t go up by planning to be in League 1 - you have to think and read your transfer policy the same as you would as a team trying to survive in the league above. Sheffield United were exactly that - they probably had a Championship quality team in place at least 2 seasons before they went up - it just so happened those seasons they missed out were seasons with a lot of quality teams in League 1.

Getting promoted out of this league is as easy as we could hope for this season, as no one is playing particularly well consistently - but here we are looking at all those teams above us, rather than looking forwards.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 18:34]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:40 - Apr 4 with 1130 viewsWeirdFishes

Hi Aaron, nice try pal.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:42 - Apr 4 with 1128 viewsMB26

One of our biggest downfalls for years has been keeping players who aren't good enough. The squad is bloated as it is and Drinan simply isn't at that level and I don't think he ever will be.

I remember when Danny Rowe was released in the summer, people wanted to keep him (albeit our wingers haven't exactly performed this season) but he's still sitting without a club. We as a club and a fanbase form unhealthy attachments to players who simply aren't good enough.

There will be options available of championship quality on frees in the summer I'm sure of it. It may be a short term option but they will contribute more than Drinan has or ever will.

It might sound harsh but a striker with 1 goal in 17 appearances, who's goal was essentially a tackle, is not what we need to get out of this division this season or next.
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:43 - Apr 4 with 1127 viewsjayessess

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:33 - Apr 4 by wkj

This... you don;t go up by planning to be in League 1 - you have to think and read your transfer policy the same as you would as a team trying to survive in the league above. Sheffield United were exactly that - they probably had a Championship quality team in place at least 2 seasons before they went up - it just so happened those seasons they missed out were seasons with a lot of quality teams in League 1.

Getting promoted out of this league is as easy as we could hope for this season, as no one is playing particularly well consistently - but here we are looking at all those teams above us, rather than looking forwards.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 18:34]

We must have faced more than 20 forwards better than Aaron Drinan this season, half of them playing for teams with a fraction of our resources. The idea that we have to cut our cloth to suit and that means Drinan (or the like) is just daft.

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:56 - Apr 4 with 1100 viewsIpswichKnight

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:42 - Apr 4 by MB26

One of our biggest downfalls for years has been keeping players who aren't good enough. The squad is bloated as it is and Drinan simply isn't at that level and I don't think he ever will be.

I remember when Danny Rowe was released in the summer, people wanted to keep him (albeit our wingers haven't exactly performed this season) but he's still sitting without a club. We as a club and a fanbase form unhealthy attachments to players who simply aren't good enough.

There will be options available of championship quality on frees in the summer I'm sure of it. It may be a short term option but they will contribute more than Drinan has or ever will.

It might sound harsh but a striker with 1 goal in 17 appearances, who's goal was essentially a tackle, is not what we need to get out of this division this season or next.

Danny Rowe signed for Burton in January, though your point is still valid! We gave a load of strikers who don’t do what they are paid to..... score goals. I’d get rid of all of them bar Norwood and bring in 2/3 who have scored goals and are available it’s now time for quality over quantity.
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 19:07 - Apr 4 with 1077 viewsMB26

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 18:56 - Apr 4 by IpswichKnight

Danny Rowe signed for Burton in January, though your point is still valid! We gave a load of strikers who don’t do what they are paid to..... score goals. I’d get rid of all of them bar Norwood and bring in 2/3 who have scored goals and are available it’s now time for quality over quantity.

Apologies, I must have missed that move.

Definitely, it may cost slightly more on wages but we lack a reliable goalscorer. Everyone around us and above us has at least one striker they can rely on. Norwood is struggling with injuries and has done throughout his time here but if we can get a striker on a one/two year deal like a Matt Smith (Millwall) or Frazier Campbell (Huddersfield) who can score goals at the level above and their contracts are up. That's where you've got to be looking, maybe those two names are a little unrealistic but Cook has some pulling power.
Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 19:11 - Apr 4 with 1070 viewsKieran_Knows

As I just said on another thread, April fools was 3 days ago.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 20:02 - Apr 4 with 1022 viewsgreyhound

Give Aaron Drinan a new contract on 16:17 - Apr 4 by IpswichKnight

He’s not even average, he’s a non league standard striker who we should be shoving out the door and not wasting a single penny on for next season. We can find far better strikers.

Today's ridiculous opinion on talking town was the guv wanted to keep him to lead the line next season.

Sure that bloke makes up opinions to get a reaction
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024