Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... 20:41 - Apr 5 with 10059 viewsitfcjoe

....and we are still just 2 points outside the play offs.

The lack of bounce since Cook came in is hugely disappointing, I don't think it is a stretch to say that 4 of our poorest performances of the season are since he has come in as well.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:43 - Apr 5 with 3578 viewsJ2BLUE

I'd like Cook to say just shoot on sight for the first 20 minutes next match. Spend all week drilling the strikers and AMs.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:47 - Apr 5 with 3524 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I make it 3 points off and the team who are 6th plus the team above them have a game in hand.

It goes to show how poor the division is but the issue is that we need to be a lot better.

Maybe with Downes, KVY and Norwood all fit we could be. However, I think we are a long way from being ready for the Championship.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:54 - Apr 5 with 3474 viewsblueprint

So would you have preferred us to keep Lambert?

Forget this season, it was over for us months ago.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:55 - Apr 5 with 3469 viewsChrisd

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:47 - Apr 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I make it 3 points off and the team who are 6th plus the team above them have a game in hand.

It goes to show how poor the division is but the issue is that we need to be a lot better.

Maybe with Downes, KVY and Norwood all fit we could be. However, I think we are a long way from being ready for the Championship.

We keep mentioning how poor the league is and then in the same breath forget that we are incapable of capitalising so that makes us even worse. We might be 3 points off the Play Offs, but do we look like a side that is capable of closing that gap? The short answer is no.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:59 - Apr 5 with 3442 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:54 - Apr 5 by blueprint

So would you have preferred us to keep Lambert?

Forget this season, it was over for us months ago.

No, but anyone accepting of this lack of bounce and worsening form in terms of both results and performances confuses me.

Seem to be the same one saying the players have a losing mentality and are weak and happy to just see the season slide away with a shrug of the shoulders

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:00 - Apr 5 with 3421 viewshype313

I think it just highlights how dire this squad is, Lambert was clearly awful and his recruitment along with the hangover from Hurst has put us in the position we are in.

We clearly lack firepower of any sort so the play offs are a waste of time, hopefully Cook is identifying key players for next season add in a takeover and things start looking a bit brighter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:05 - Apr 5 with 3370 viewsWicklowBlue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:59 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

No, but anyone accepting of this lack of bounce and worsening form in terms of both results and performances confuses me.

Seem to be the same one saying the players have a losing mentality and are weak and happy to just see the season slide away with a shrug of the shoulders

Joe what are you hearing around how the players are reacting to PC? From another thread "Paul Knows" describe PC as being infectious in a positive way on the trading ground.

For quite some time I felt the players were not fit enough, poorly drilled and no real partnerships across the midfield and forward line.

I don't think any of us are accepting the lack of bounce and worsening form....but dare I say most of us are wondering why?!?!
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:06 - Apr 5 with 3360 viewsHerbivore

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:59 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

I think we're seeing what happens to a group of players when you keep a manager in post for a full year longer than you should. The damage done seems to be massive. The players have no belief, no resilience, and too many of them won't be here next season so probably aren't giving it their all. These players should have enough about them to beat the likes of Rochdale but that display was embarrassing. It's also not ideal that Cook hasn't inspired any improvement at all so far.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:08 - Apr 5 with 3316 viewsIllinoisblue

No bounce. We got the new manager shrug from a despicable group of players.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:09 - Apr 5 with 3312 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:05 - Apr 5 by WicklowBlue

Joe what are you hearing around how the players are reacting to PC? From another thread "Paul Knows" describe PC as being infectious in a positive way on the trading ground.

For quite some time I felt the players were not fit enough, poorly drilled and no real partnerships across the midfield and forward line.

I don't think any of us are accepting the lack of bounce and worsening form....but dare I say most of us are wondering why?!?!

Not hearing huge amounts to be fair so can't claim to have comments from the ground.

I think Herbi's post below this, and Steve M's earlier in the day make key points about how the Lambert effect infected every where in the club and has killed it from the inside out.

Cook has a lot of work to do, and I am not questioning him yet - but am hugely frustrated with how we seem to have got worse

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:10 - Apr 5 with 3290 viewstazdac

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:43 - Apr 5 by J2BLUE

I'd like Cook to say just shoot on sight for the first 20 minutes next match. Spend all week drilling the strikers and AMs.

We have AM’s? :o)
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:11 - Apr 5 with 3295 viewsunstableblue

I’m getting really concerned Joe.

I really like what Cook has to say, his analysis of where we are as a squad and our performances are spot on. Everything I hear from Wigan fans etc is that he is the real deal. And I’m backing him.

But the performances this weekend have been really worrying. It’s less the new manager bounce, it’s the fact Cook had had some time with the squad, and on current viewing there is no progress, but regression. Whether it’s the recent 5-3-2 or the previous preferred 4-2-3-1, the players look like strangers and even more scared than usual on the ball. Judge and Edwards are so off the boil, Bishop is not at the races. Forwards are getting less service than before.

The start of the Plymouth game (who are a better team than Bristol Rovers and Rochdale) was heartening and hopefully showed an improvement that Cook had implemented, but as soon as Downes went off and we faded, we looked so out of confidence.

Today we just couldn’t do anything right, every player bar maybe Toto and perhaps Wolfenden, were completely out of sorts.

Something is not right. I was pleased to see Dyer as part of the bench coaching team today. We’ve got to get a performance out of the team somehow soon. I do wonder if the managers honesty about the players lack of quality and belief is causing issues.

Worrying times. Terrible game today.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:11 - Apr 5 with 3286 viewsWicklowBlue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:06 - Apr 5 by Herbivore

I think we're seeing what happens to a group of players when you keep a manager in post for a full year longer than you should. The damage done seems to be massive. The players have no belief, no resilience, and too many of them won't be here next season so probably aren't giving it their all. These players should have enough about them to beat the likes of Rochdale but that display was embarrassing. It's also not ideal that Cook hasn't inspired any improvement at all so far.

Totally agree, the big question I suppose is why we haven't seen that new manager bounce?

Personally I thought it was very revealing that the squad couldn't complete Cook's double training sessions. Perhaps they are all just knackered and would explain our good starts to the season and just falling off. Either way seems like Cook came in and set higher standards than our fragile lot could attain.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:13 - Apr 5 with 3261 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:11 - Apr 5 by WicklowBlue

Totally agree, the big question I suppose is why we haven't seen that new manager bounce?

Personally I thought it was very revealing that the squad couldn't complete Cook's double training sessions. Perhaps they are all just knackered and would explain our good starts to the season and just falling off. Either way seems like Cook came in and set higher standards than our fragile lot could attain.

I can't imagine any clubs are doing double sessions of the back of 7-8 midweek games in a row in a ridiculous scheduled season - think that failure to be able to do that is overplayed.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:15 - Apr 5 with 3226 viewschrismakin

For someone involved in alot of outside football work and one who I always read posts from with a sense of.. you know your stuff Joe.... this post is shocking being honest and I'm surprised its come from you.

We are playing sides who are fighting for their lives. They arent going to just let us walk over them.
The problem is.. and this has been the case all season... we have not one inch of fight in this squad hence the lacklustre performances on offer.

Cook has nothing to work with.. hes tried various formations now. Various partnerships.. and yet the same sht happens that has happened all season.

To say it's been worse since PC took over is way off the mark.

Before he took over.. it was reported that something lik 13 of the last 20 goals scored were set pieces. That's a very low % of open play goals. Running upto Lambert being sacked all everyone moaned about was lack or goal attempts.
You cant suddenly expect anyone to come in and suddenly change that around with no new players.

The fact cook is a manager who demands front foot football. Attacking and exciting football shows that if he cant get this team to do it no one can. He has done it for years and has been very very successful with it with minimal budgets at this level. So hes not even out of his comfort zone.

The difference is. We have a lacklustre squad that other than the first 2 months of the season has done anything more than be a lower part of the table league 1 side. It's actually incredible we are still where we are in the table. Thank god for that opening season period.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:15 - Apr 5 with 3226 viewsKieran_Knows

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 20:43 - Apr 5 by J2BLUE

He made the strikers do extra shooting after training a few weeks back because after 45 minutes of playing small sided games, only 1 goal was scored by a striker.

#definfo

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:25 - Apr 5 with 3087 viewsSteve_M

It is disappointing, in that time I think that we’ve played well for maybe 40 minutes at Portsmouth and 20 against Plymouth. Even that’s a fairly loose definition of ‘well’. After the three wins in a row it was reasonable to expect more than we’ve shown since.

Plenty of extenuating circumstances for Cook but there’s been very little to show on the pitch for his time here so far. A lot is going to depend on him getting the key players he wants in early this Summer, or recent record there isn’t good either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:27 - Apr 5 with 3059 viewsPrideOfTheEast

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:15 - Apr 5 by Kieran_Knows

He made the strikers do extra shooting after training a few weeks back because after 45 minutes of playing small sided games, only 1 goal was scored by a striker.

#definfo

Should clearly be trying something different up top and going with Hawkins plus Norwood.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:28 - Apr 5 with 3064 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:15 - Apr 5 by chrismakin

For someone involved in alot of outside football work and one who I always read posts from with a sense of.. you know your stuff Joe.... this post is shocking being honest and I'm surprised its come from you.

We are playing sides who are fighting for their lives. They arent going to just let us walk over them.
The problem is.. and this has been the case all season... we have not one inch of fight in this squad hence the lacklustre performances on offer.

Cook has nothing to work with.. hes tried various formations now. Various partnerships.. and yet the same sht happens that has happened all season.

To say it's been worse since PC took over is way off the mark.

Before he took over.. it was reported that something lik 13 of the last 20 goals scored were set pieces. That's a very low % of open play goals. Running upto Lambert being sacked all everyone moaned about was lack or goal attempts.
You cant suddenly expect anyone to come in and suddenly change that around with no new players.

The fact cook is a manager who demands front foot football. Attacking and exciting football shows that if he cant get this team to do it no one can. He has done it for years and has been very very successful with it with minimal budgets at this level. So hes not even out of his comfort zone.

The difference is. We have a lacklustre squad that other than the first 2 months of the season has done anything more than be a lower part of the table league 1 side. It's actually incredible we are still where we are in the table. Thank god for that opening season period.

We weren't good under Lambert - but we've played the bottom 2 teams in the league over this weekend and looked decent for the first 10 minutes of it. We were beyond awful against Gillingham and Fleetwood, and dire against Wigan.

I'm sure every fan was expecting some level of improvement when the manager changed, that we haven't seen it, when the play offs are still within easy reach, is hugely disappointing and frustrating.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:36 - Apr 5 with 2978 viewsRomeo4

The lack of bounce is disappointing. However this is more a reflection of how bad things had got and how long it had been left to drift.

Posts like this (and a few others) which are already starting to question Cook are not very helpful and will start to spread negativity towards the one aspect which currently offers any sort of hope i.e. a manager who speaks with truth and honesty and who has been there and done it before.

We have to get behind him fully. He’s the best hope we have that the demise of our beloved club can be turned around. At least give him the summer and a transfer window anyway.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:37 - Apr 5 with 2962 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:28 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

We weren't good under Lambert - but we've played the bottom 2 teams in the league over this weekend and looked decent for the first 10 minutes of it. We were beyond awful against Gillingham and Fleetwood, and dire against Wigan.

I'm sure every fan was expecting some level of improvement when the manager changed, that we haven't seen it, when the play offs are still within easy reach, is hugely disappointing and frustrating.

Not me. And that's why I've been saying the season was offer ( doesnt stop me watching for some reason tho lol )

To get a new manager manager bounce. It's usually because the new manager has come in at a time when the results are at an all time low. Whilst they weren't great, things were plodding along with Lambert. Both managers play the same formation.. Lambert recruited and extended contracts to play this formation.. cook unfortunately took over a squad not capable of playing that and his chosen formation unlike the cowleys at pompy. That's the biggest difference.
Our defensive side of the game isnt a problem.. so that doesn't need touching, it's just the hardest part.. attacking... something that will only change with better players.
Our top goalscoring cm is injured.
Our top goalscoring striker is in and out of fitness
Weve missed hawkins who was part of the goals before Xmas

The list goes on really.

If PC had come in and took over a side leaking goals and failed to stop it.. then I'd agree he would have failed. But attacking isnt something that can be switched on. It needs quality to do it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:39 - Apr 5 with 2947 viewsJ2BLUE

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:37 - Apr 5 by chrismakin

Not me. And that's why I've been saying the season was offer ( doesnt stop me watching for some reason tho lol )

To get a new manager manager bounce. It's usually because the new manager has come in at a time when the results are at an all time low. Whilst they weren't great, things were plodding along with Lambert. Both managers play the same formation.. Lambert recruited and extended contracts to play this formation.. cook unfortunately took over a squad not capable of playing that and his chosen formation unlike the cowleys at pompy. That's the biggest difference.
Our defensive side of the game isnt a problem.. so that doesn't need touching, it's just the hardest part.. attacking... something that will only change with better players.
Our top goalscoring cm is injured.
Our top goalscoring striker is in and out of fitness
Weve missed hawkins who was part of the goals before Xmas

The list goes on really.

If PC had come in and took over a side leaking goals and failed to stop it.. then I'd agree he would have failed. But attacking isnt something that can be switched on. It needs quality to do it.

The season isn't over though. Fans can say it but clearly while we have a chance it's not over and nor should it be.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:39 - Apr 5 with 2935 viewsMB26

I think it's completely rational to be disappointed in the start. Cook is billed as a motivator but it looks like this squad would struggle to make a cup of tea between them.

I don't think we will make the playoffs but I have faith in Cook going forward to make the right changes IF he's given the supporter from whoever the owner may be. We know with the current owners that's not going to happen.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:42 - Apr 5 with 2896 viewshomer_123

I'm not saying I'm disappointed with Cook being appointed but by homer_123 5 Apr 2021 16:54
the Cowleys have made a decent start with Pompey haven't they?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:42 - Apr 5 with 2878 viewsChrisd

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:36 - Apr 5 by Romeo4

The lack of bounce is disappointing. However this is more a reflection of how bad things had got and how long it had been left to drift.

Posts like this (and a few others) which are already starting to question Cook are not very helpful and will start to spread negativity towards the one aspect which currently offers any sort of hope i.e. a manager who speaks with truth and honesty and who has been there and done it before.

We have to get behind him fully. He’s the best hope we have that the demise of our beloved club can be turned around. At least give him the summer and a transfer window anyway.

PC needs the summer as much as we do. These last few leagues games aren’t the springboard to the top 6, it’s the countdown to when he can get rid of most of the squad and wipe the slate clean. PC needs the opportunity to get his own players in with those currently in the squad he feels are worth keeping. Until then, he can’t seriously be judged. Problem is it’s going to take time and we’re all fed up with the malaise the club is in and are all desperate for an upturn in our fortunes ASAP.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024