Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... 20:41 - Apr 5 with 10012 viewsitfcjoe

....and we are still just 2 points outside the play offs.

The lack of bounce since Cook came in is hugely disappointing, I don't think it is a stretch to say that 4 of our poorest performances of the season are since he has come in as well.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:32 - Apr 6 with 2661 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:25 - Apr 6 by chrismakin

If and that is a big IF, we have the likes of KVY, Downes, Bennetts, Norwood, Hawkins, all available, we still have a shot of winning some games, not sure how many, but we have a chance.

Bennetts for all his frustratingly bad end product, he is direct, he is a horrible ankle biter winger and he was a massive plus for us in our high pressured approached against the likes of Hull etc, he offers so much more off the ball than the likes of Judge, Edwards, Parrott etc when occupying the wide roles.
KVY - capable of doing magical things at RB, but we need him desperately
Downes, need to keep injury free and card free, massive players and a massive miss
Norwood - only striker we can trust to score, it may take a few chances and no we aren't creating many, but he's the only one you can put trust in
Hawkins, so vital to bring others into play, and being the big guy in the box, opens set pieces up for others to nip in with a goal or two.

If we continue with todays and Friday's team, we have no hope, it's shocking, absolutely shocking.

KVY was rushed back far too soon and that’s one thing I will lay completely at Cook’s door. Downes seems to be play two or three games at most then breakdown which is a massive concern. I’d love to try Hawkins in a from two to see who he can bring into the game.

Holy
KVY - Woolfenden (Nsiala) - Wilson (Chambers) - Kenlock
Dobra - Downes - Bishop - Bennetts
Hawkins - Norwood

Dobra certainly deserves a run out for being the only player who seems happy to run at players. Bennetts is similar even though his end product is questionable, at least he stretches play.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:38 - Apr 6 with 2650 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:32 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

KVY was rushed back far too soon and that’s one thing I will lay completely at Cook’s door. Downes seems to be play two or three games at most then breakdown which is a massive concern. I’d love to try Hawkins in a from two to see who he can bring into the game.

Holy
KVY - Woolfenden (Nsiala) - Wilson (Chambers) - Kenlock
Dobra - Downes - Bishop - Bennetts
Hawkins - Norwood

Dobra certainly deserves a run out for being the only player who seems happy to run at players. Bennetts is similar even though his end product is questionable, at least he stretches play.

Yeah agree on the KVY thing, I didn't understand that, we must have been given the all clear, but who the hell by.

I like that lineup, exactly how i'd like to see it - But Toto with Chambers, Wolfy still scares me.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 0:39]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:44 - Apr 6 with 2629 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:38 - Apr 6 by chrismakin

Yeah agree on the KVY thing, I didn't understand that, we must have been given the all clear, but who the hell by.

I like that lineup, exactly how i'd like to see it - But Toto with Chambers, Wolfy still scares me.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 0:39]

The problem is Nsiala still scares me, probably via the scars of last season! Certainly I feel luck has been on his side where it wasn’t last year.

The treatment of Woolfenden probably epitomises us as a club this season. After a promising year last year, he was pitched in as the senior centre back this time around and expected to swim. It was unfair, unnecessary and has put him back. If Chambers had been moved central with Donacien at right back then I think we would have seen Woolfenden progress further; as it is Cook has to decide whether he’s a project worth putting time into over the summer. I guess him being in contract says yes for now.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:48 - Apr 6 with 2612 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:44 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

The problem is Nsiala still scares me, probably via the scars of last season! Certainly I feel luck has been on his side where it wasn’t last year.

The treatment of Woolfenden probably epitomises us as a club this season. After a promising year last year, he was pitched in as the senior centre back this time around and expected to swim. It was unfair, unnecessary and has put him back. If Chambers had been moved central with Donacien at right back then I think we would have seen Woolfenden progress further; as it is Cook has to decide whether he’s a project worth putting time into over the summer. I guess him being in contract says yes for now.

It's certainly not helped him being in/out, he looked miles away from the original wolf today, ( well yesterday), his touch was heavy, his passing was short and he looked lost.

I do agree though, as earlier in the season I wanted Wolfy with Wilson, or Wolf with Chambers over Toto, but i've since fell in love with Toto and think he's come on really well, not quite sure he's the experienced head that would work with Wolfy though and if both would trip each other up so to speak.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:56 - Apr 6 with 2607 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:48 - Apr 6 by chrismakin

It's certainly not helped him being in/out, he looked miles away from the original wolf today, ( well yesterday), his touch was heavy, his passing was short and he looked lost.

I do agree though, as earlier in the season I wanted Wolfy with Wilson, or Wolf with Chambers over Toto, but i've since fell in love with Toto and think he's come on really well, not quite sure he's the experienced head that would work with Wolfy though and if both would trip each other up so to speak.

Has he ever played in a back three before Friday? Have to admit I thought he did fine against Bristol Rovers.

Woolfenden and Chambers or Woolfenden with Chambers would be fine though I agree with you in regards to Woolfenden and Nsiala not working. I guess it’s worth noting that Nsiala had a struggle and now seems to be coming out the other side so Woolfenden could be the same.

I have to wonder how Woolfenden feels though. From his point of view he was thrown into the deep end, just about kept his head above water, ironically dropped after a 0-0 draw and was left out of the squad for a long period by the new manager, with his junior partner preferred as a bench option. He only got a chance because McGuinness was away with Ireland when cover was needed. I referred earlier to players hating it here - I can see reasons why he would be one of them though, on the flip side, I think he was the only senior player (or maybe one of two) who stayed behind when Cook sent everyone home when they should have had double training.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 01:00 - Apr 6 with 2605 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:56 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Has he ever played in a back three before Friday? Have to admit I thought he did fine against Bristol Rovers.

Woolfenden and Chambers or Woolfenden with Chambers would be fine though I agree with you in regards to Woolfenden and Nsiala not working. I guess it’s worth noting that Nsiala had a struggle and now seems to be coming out the other side so Woolfenden could be the same.

I have to wonder how Woolfenden feels though. From his point of view he was thrown into the deep end, just about kept his head above water, ironically dropped after a 0-0 draw and was left out of the squad for a long period by the new manager, with his junior partner preferred as a bench option. He only got a chance because McGuinness was away with Ireland when cover was needed. I referred earlier to players hating it here - I can see reasons why he would be one of them though, on the flip side, I think he was the only senior player (or maybe one of two) who stayed behind when Cook sent everyone home when they should have had double training.

I'm hoping him staying late was a sign that Cook saw something missing in him and has sat down and told him what this is and as you say, Wolfy took that on and is working towards what ever that discussion was. I'd like to think so as I can see Wolfy as future captain.

3 5 2 i've been quite amazed we've played, it's not an easy system, especially when you have a squad so inflexible to change, however all in all the backline have done rather well, And I guess my gripe with him was mainly on the ball rather than defending.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 01:06 - Apr 6 with 2601 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 01:00 - Apr 6 by chrismakin

I'm hoping him staying late was a sign that Cook saw something missing in him and has sat down and told him what this is and as you say, Wolfy took that on and is working towards what ever that discussion was. I'd like to think so as I can see Wolfy as future captain.

3 5 2 i've been quite amazed we've played, it's not an easy system, especially when you have a squad so inflexible to change, however all in all the backline have done rather well, And I guess my gripe with him was mainly on the ball rather than defending.

Though wasn’t part of the issue that the midfield wasn’t really showing themselves? He was the only ball playing defender in our backline and time and again had very few options - the wing backs should be coming back to help; at least one of Bishop or Dozzell the same. Instead, nothing.

Cook clearly wants three in the middle because he deems us too lightweight otherwise, and I get that, but 3-5-2 really works with two ball playing centre backs to add variety and to share the load. I’d almost prefer us to return to Cook’s preferred formation if he isn’t going to try a 4-4-2 as 3-5-2 exposes our weaknesses even more.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 01:21 - Apr 6 with 2594 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 01:06 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Though wasn’t part of the issue that the midfield wasn’t really showing themselves? He was the only ball playing defender in our backline and time and again had very few options - the wing backs should be coming back to help; at least one of Bishop or Dozzell the same. Instead, nothing.

Cook clearly wants three in the middle because he deems us too lightweight otherwise, and I get that, but 3-5-2 really works with two ball playing centre backs to add variety and to share the load. I’d almost prefer us to return to Cook’s preferred formation if he isn’t going to try a 4-4-2 as 3-5-2 exposes our weaknesses even more.

Yeah, we definately need that 3 in the middle without a doubt, perhaps not with Downes back but certainly with Bish and Dozzell.

What didn't help Wolfendeen and Toto was Edwards... they kept pointing to him up the line, and he just kept tugging the sideline on the halfway line, he didn't move. Had he done this, he not only takes their midfielder with him, and this then opens it up for bishop to move forward, then Wolf or Toto could get further forward etc and if you then had Jackson making his diag runs whilst Edwards continues his, you've got a couple of options. but what do we know we just watch it, it must be hard to move your feet lol

Login to get fewer ads

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:07 - Apr 6 with 2544 viewsPrideOfTheEast

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:30 - Apr 6 by The_Last_Baron

I don't think there is much to be done with this bunch of players. I'm expecting 15 exits this summer and they will be richly deserved.

We have only 3/4 players in the whole squad who are up to the job and the best of these is permanently injured.

Pep Guardiola wouldn't be able to get this crew into the play-offs.

It’s worth keeping Dozzell, Bishop, Downes, KVY and Woolf - all have heaps of potential and are capable of playing levels above. Bishop has had a decent season.

With the exception of some of the younger players (Lankaster, Dobra for example), I think I’d ship out the rest and start again. Norwood is half decent but nothing like Championship level so surely better moving him on giving his injury record with us.

I said it in the Summer but to get out of this division we desperately need a strong target man type.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:32 - Apr 6 with 2531 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:04 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Reading between the lines, they don’t want to be here. And I don’t mean that in a dismissive way, that they’re disrespecting the club and don’t care - I’m actually starting to believe they actively hate it. I had a year at school which I loathed and I was always late on because I couldn’t find the energy to get out of bed as I knew what was coming up and that’s what this feels like. As a group, they’re almost depressed; everything is becoming a chore.

I think the players as a collective have lost their love of the game, no surprise considering the relentless negativity which has plagued the club over the past five years or so. It’s already obvious that Cook is going to wield the axe in six weeks time which is hardly motivational, even if it’s completely fair. Somehow, if he can get the love of the game back I think that’ll push us on to an extent and then, over the summer, new players with new positivity might just give some hope to the squad members who remain.

I’d heard from someone close to one of senior players that for him it ‘is the worst club they’ve ever been at’ and they hated it - this was at tail end of Lambert reign.

I spoke to someone very well connected about that and their view was that it’s absolutely no surprise and that view could have come from nearly anyone in the first team squad as is a general viewpoint.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:40 - Apr 6 with 2526 viewshaynes_toe1

I'm glad you've said it. I've pointed out from early on its disappointing that we've got worse rather than any sign of improvement under a new manager and doesn't exactly bode well for next season.

The main bit I agree with is this weird acceptance from fans to just bin this season off then criticise the players for apparently doing that every game. If our fans are happy to just bin off a season and excuse the manager for pretty much everything, considering fans emotional attachment to the club then how can you have higher expectations of employees of the club?
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:44 - Apr 6 with 2516 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:40 - Apr 6 by haynes_toe1

I'm glad you've said it. I've pointed out from early on its disappointing that we've got worse rather than any sign of improvement under a new manager and doesn't exactly bode well for next season.

The main bit I agree with is this weird acceptance from fans to just bin this season off then criticise the players for apparently doing that every game. If our fans are happy to just bin off a season and excuse the manager for pretty much everything, considering fans emotional attachment to the club then how can you have higher expectations of employees of the club?

Haynes, supporters aren't at the games, we can't effect what happens in the game, it doesn't matter if we see the season as over, it's because of the players some of us feels that way not because we are happy to accept it's over, i'd much rather us go on a run and take momentum into a playoff place, but the players are not showing any evidence that they can do it.

You have a gripe about PC, yet you're another one that hasn't actually said what you expect him 'TO DO'

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:00 - Apr 6 with 2492 viewsDanTheMan

Jumping into the end of the thread here but I must say I'm surprised with how little we've improved since Cook has been here. Obviously would be incredibly harsh to judge him on less than ten games with our team but I was expecting something a bit more than exactly the same crap we'd be serving up under Lambert.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:01 - Apr 6 with 2482 viewsChrisd

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:56 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Again, that’s about attitude. Woolfenden then has the opportunity to prove PC wrong, that’s football, that’s life. No point sulking about spilt milk, time to show the manager exactly what he’s all about. Hoping PC was looking for that same reaction too, instead of feeling sorry for himself.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 8:09]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:02 - Apr 6 with 2485 viewsKieran_Knows

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:41 - Apr 5 by chrismakin

It was quite amazing how many players went home on 'that' Wednesday and only a few stayed behind

I think it’s worth pointing out it wasn’t just any ‘few players’ either. It was Bailey Clements doing extra work as he was coming back from injury, Elkan Baggott who wasn’t technically meant to be in as was on loan at Kings Lynn and Woolfenden, who was just doing an extra bit.

Cook loves that though, anyone he does see in there on the rare occasion, it’s always ‘love that you, wanting to better yourself, love that’.

I don’t think people quite realise how big of a rebuild this summer will be. I’ve said it several times, it’s not just players either, it’s backroom staff as well, which I know he’s not fond of also.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 8:07]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:06 - Apr 6 with 2472 viewsChurchman

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:40 - Apr 6 by haynes_toe1

Ok you, along with a good number of others, think that eight games with somebody else’s players is more than enough for a manager and want him out. I suspect many of the players feel that way too.

As a matter of interest, who would you like to replace him and what would your expectations be for the remaining eight games?
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:33 - Apr 6 with 2431 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:01 - Apr 6 by Chrisd

Again, that’s about attitude. Woolfenden then has the opportunity to prove PC wrong, that’s football, that’s life. No point sulking about spilt milk, time to show the manager exactly what he’s all about. Hoping PC was looking for that same reaction too, instead of feeling sorry for himself.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 8:09]

Though the issue seems to be with the entire squad, not just Woolfenden. Indeed, Woolfenden seems to be the only player to have tried going the extra mile at at least one point.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 09:07 - Apr 6 with 2379 viewsChrisd

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:33 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Though the issue seems to be with the entire squad, not just Woolfenden. Indeed, Woolfenden seems to be the only player to have tried going the extra mile at at least one point.

Yes, that’s a good thing. He’s showing PC that willingness, all managers love to see that. I suppose PC was hoping more of our squad would do the same. He’s not had a particularly great season, but for me that reaction alone is an encouraging sign for a new manager.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 09:48 - Apr 6 with 2338 viewsHullblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:32 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

I’d heard from someone close to one of senior players that for him it ‘is the worst club they’ve ever been at’ and they hated it - this was at tail end of Lambert reign.

I spoke to someone very well connected about that and their view was that it’s absolutely no surprise and that view could have come from nearly anyone in the first team squad as is a general viewpoint.

That's worrying but it also makes complete sense. The body language of some of the senior players - Nolan and Jackson spring to mind - is just miserable. Even after scoring Norwood can't bring himself to smile at the moment.

I watched the highlights of our first two games against Bristol Rovers the other day and it's easy to forget how bright we looked at times right at the start of the season. Then we got found out tactically and just completely collapsed. Under a half-decent manager we would have ridden that blip and re-found form - instead it seems like Lambert panicked and re-alienated his players.

Chambers said something about the contract situation the other day: "It's not the first time this has happened at this club." Seems like that, plus Covid, high expectations and an emotionally inept ex-manager have combined to drag morale lower than anyone thought possible.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 09:57 - Apr 6 with 2317 viewshaynes_toe1

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 08:06 - Apr 6 by Churchman

Ok you, along with a good number of others, think that eight games with somebody else’s players is more than enough for a manager and want him out. I suspect many of the players feel that way too.

As a matter of interest, who would you like to replace him and what would your expectations be for the remaining eight games?

This is bizarre! I don't want Cook out and i've said on repeat that he should get his own transfer window and some time to show what he can do. I've never said I want him out.

What I have done is criticise him for somehow producing worse performances than we got under a manager that many on here, rightly by the way, saw as one of our worst managers in recent times. I keep getting downvoted by Herbivore yet he was one of the most vocal about how useless Lambert was; yet pointing out that Cook has produced even worse than him isn't allowed, apparently. The performances have matched our worst one's under Lambert and our PPG is worse.

I fully accept there's a historical problem at the club that comes from a long list of poor decisions particularly in terms of manager. I equally accept the players are capable of performing better irrespective of manager - but if that applies under Cook it applies under Lambert and Hurst too.

What I won't do is criticise Lambert for 2 years and then refuse to criticise a manager who essentially does the same things. It's hypocritical and it's interesting to see how many are happy to be so online.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:01 - Apr 6 with 2307 viewsabracaDOBRA_

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 07:32 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

Id heard that about Gwion. Would be very surprised if he's here next season.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:02 - Apr 6 with 2296 viewsHerbivore

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:01 - Apr 6 by abracaDOBRA_

That would be devastating.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:05 - Apr 6 with 2280 viewsabracaDOBRA_

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:02 - Apr 6 by Herbivore

That would be devastating.

Sarcasm? I think there's a player there for sure, but if I'm honest, I'm past caring which player stays now. I feel like he fancies himself elsewhere anyway.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:06 - Apr 6 with 2271 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:01 - Apr 6 by abracaDOBRA_

It wasn’t Gwion, but rather illustrates the point that it could have been any of them - ITFC has sucked the life out of players, like it has the fans

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 10:06 - Apr 6 with 2269 viewsMrTown

Oh no, what a shame.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024