Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? 09:04 - Apr 6 with 1582 viewsjudespiveyg

First full capacity event in US pro sports since the pandemic began. 40000 at Globe Life Field for the Texas Rangers' home opener.
They're probably jumping the gun a little bit, and I'm pretty sure it was only a tester, going back to limited capacity today, but it's still nice to see that the prospect of full stadiums could be on the cards fairly soon.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:11 - Apr 6 with 1527 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I certainly wouldn't let the Yanks, in particular Texans, who have been mass covid deniers, be our guides.

We'll start off at 50% capacity until Christmas I would imagine.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:13 - Apr 6 with 1508 viewsbluelagos

Looks like they basically went ahead with no restrictions (Like covid passports) no social distancing and little mask wearing.

Quite a handy test really for those us who would like to get back to normal asap. If they have a spike, rather proves the need for restrictions. If they don't, lends to the argument of getting on with things without onerous restrictions.

Watch this space I guess.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:19 - Apr 6 with 1473 viewsBugs

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:13 - Apr 6 by bluelagos

Looks like they basically went ahead with no restrictions (Like covid passports) no social distancing and little mask wearing.

Quite a handy test really for those us who would like to get back to normal asap. If they have a spike, rather proves the need for restrictions. If they don't, lends to the argument of getting on with things without onerous restrictions.

I think Cheltenham 2020 was that test wasn't it? It didn't turn out well.
Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:21 - Apr 6 with 1458 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:13 - Apr 6 by bluelagos

There are some caveats there though:

- Everyone in the US drives to everything, there isn't really decent public transport so that vector or transmission isn't really a factor.

- This would only be applicable for easing outdoor restrictions. The Covid passports are more likely to be for indoor things over the longer term.

It's still nice to see the ground full and as you say, it's a good test.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:27 - Apr 6 with 1426 viewsbluelagos

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:19 - Apr 6 by Bugs

It certainly highlighted the need to lockdown when rates of CV were spiraling out of the control. No argument there.

But I don't think we know exactly how future sports events should be opened up. Cheltenham was a very different event in many ways to say a Division 1 match.

And Cheltenham had open bars, full planes etc. So much for us to learn / apply differently to a year ago.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:51 - Apr 6 with 1373 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:19 - Apr 6 by Bugs

I would like to stress that the UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care has no links whatsoever with the racing industry.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 12:20 - Apr 6 with 1230 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice to think we're moving back towards normality, but I suppose it depends on variants. The British one caught us out and the Brazilian one is even worse again. Everything could change again if/when that comes here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 12:23 - Apr 6 with 1209 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 12:20 - Apr 6 by Swansea_Blue

Nice to think we're moving back towards normality, but I suppose it depends on variants. The British one caught us out and the Brazilian one is even worse again. Everything could change again if/when that comes here.

Europe is currently really struggling with the B117K variant (UK) so unfortunately it looks like even with lots of warning it can still cause a lot of trouble.

This just reaffirms your last sentence about other possible variants.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 13:03 - Apr 6 with 1097 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:51 - Apr 6 by factual_blue

I would like to stress that the UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care has no links whatsoever with the racing industry.

[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 13:06]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 14:17 - Apr 6 with 976 viewsBiGDonnie

If Americans do it, it's probably a wise idea to do the opposite.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 14:44 - Apr 6 with 938 viewsDeano69

I feel fairly uncomfortable seeing that.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 15:13 - Apr 6 with 899 viewsElderGrizzly

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 09:11 - Apr 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

I certainly wouldn't let the Yanks, in particular Texans, who have been mass covid deniers, be our guides.

We'll start off at 50% capacity until Christmas I would imagine.

Texas are currently following a "f@ck it" approach to managing Covid. In a state with almost 10% of all cases in the US and almost 50,000 deaths.

It might work, but rates in the USA are already starting to creep up again as of last week.
Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 15:28 - Apr 6 with 878 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 15:13 - Apr 6 by ElderGrizzly

Texas are currently following a "f@ck it" approach to managing Covid. In a state with almost 10% of all cases in the US and almost 50,000 deaths.

It might work, but rates in the USA are already starting to creep up again as of last week.

Imagine what the cases would look like in another 6 weeks if Trump had still been around and with the new variants.

At least the US are now well on the way to vaccinating 200m people. Of course that still leaves another 120m.

SB

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 15:38 - Apr 6 with 860 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone seen pictures from Texas yesterday? on 15:13 - Apr 6 by ElderGrizzly

Whilst not wanting to disagree with the heart of your point, surely the fact that Texas contains nearly 10% of the USAs population makes it unremarkable that it has almost 10% of cases. File under "has done as badly as most States".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024