Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Handing in notice without a new job... 11:12 - Apr 6 with 6432 viewsclive_baker

Always been of the mindset that it's a mad thing to do but I'm very much lacking motivation for my role (have been for a while in truth) and considering a change. Been at this company a number of years now and it's ran it's natural course for me.

I don't have anything lined up, and being on a 6 month notice makes that harder as a lot of the roles are more immediately required. The security of 6 months has been lovely over the last year or so, I'm not knocking that. Been giving it a lot of thought and considering just handing the notice in and then upping the search over summer for an October start. Is it mad in these (or any other) circumstances?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:17 - Apr 6 with 3744 viewsSomethingBlue

Obviously different circumstances for everyone so this isn't a blanket recommendation, but I've done it twice and on each occasion things worked out OK, very glad I did it. Think there's a lot to be said for knowing when to leave anything. Six months' notice is a nice cushion so if you think roles will keep coming up then you're in a good position at least.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:20 - Apr 6 with 3711 viewsGuthrum

It's very risky and you have to be prepared for things not to go as planned. Maybe even having to downgrade or change direction.

But it can also be quite liberating and open fresh opportunities. It's also perhaps easier if you are partnered with another earner who can support you, or if you have no dependents you need to provide for.

As with all these things, you have to get a comfortable level of risk in your own mind. And think of safety nets (e.g. savings) which you can fall back on.

I did something similar, once. Things turned out very differently to my expectations. Not as good in some ways (particularly earnings), but much better in others (being my own boss). Plus it turned out I had jumped from the company at pretty much the right time - they closed a few years later without having expanded or developed in any way which might have improved my position.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:21 - Apr 6 with 3711 viewsitfcjoe

Seems very little option if wanting a change when on such a long notice period - and without knowing what you do the fact you are on such a long notice period means you must be at a senior enough level with enough experience to be highly rated so that you will be a good candidate elsewhere.

The market seems tough at the moment in certain industries, as so much is changing and new roles are being invented and redundancies are going to be high - as an e.g. at my wifes firm they are about to make 170 of their 500 mortgage advisers redundant as giving up on branch business.....that means a lot of people in the market for various roles.

But if you can afford to, having that time and space to work out what you want to do would be a lovely luxury to have for a few months

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:21 - Apr 6 with 3700 viewsKropotkin123

Depends on what you actually do and how in demand your skills are. A six month notice is going to be a deal-breaker for pretty much every company. Unless your skillset is that in demand/niche.

I think 3 months is generally the maximum most companies are willing to wait.

So I believe it is inevitable you will need to hand in your notice before getting a new job lined up.

So the questions you really need to be asking yourself is. Am I actually prepared to fight for a new job? How long am I prepared to go without income if the worst happens? What am I willing to accept if I don't get what I want? Is this better or worse than what I have at the moment? What external pressures do I have?

On this last one. I found when I was out of work that the external pressure from my partner was quite intolerable. I found she was far more stressed than me and imparted that onto me. I found that my motivation to search for a job or go along in processes was low as a result. So it really is something you need to consider.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 11:23]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:22 - Apr 6 with 3699 viewsgordon

Don't know what field you're in but a 6 month notice period will surely make it quite hard for you to find something else without handing in your notice in advance like this anyway?
Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:25 - Apr 6 with 3664 viewswkj

On the face of it, handing in a notice with no job lined up is always going to get raised eyebrows and comments.

However, if the job you're in is bad enough for your happiness and mental health, you probably won't experience a sensation quite so liberating as walking out the door and feeling free.

However, I have done this before - the liberation was real, but the 6 months of Job Seekers during the financial crisis bought me dangerously close to financial ruin before I finally managed to get someone to take me on.

Play this very carefully, as Covid will have long implications of the economy and availability of work. Make yourself a budget and a contingency plan for when times get tight, as there is every chance that they will.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 11:27]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:38 - Apr 6 with 3607 viewsbluelagos

Most liberating day I had was the day I resigned. Had no job lined up but had always wanted to try teaching and/or work in the INGO sector. I managed to do both in the years ahead, but at the time nothing was certain. Quite a few colleagues were stunned and/or jealous - but they were also constrained by mortgages/wives/responsibilities. But if you can, go for it :-)

The downside, was I had to work a 6 month notice period once and my employer held me to it. After a month or so they found my replacement and I trained him up. They still insisted I went into the office, even though I literally had nothing to do, other than be around in case the new guy needed help/guidance.

I started wearing footie shirts into the office, stopped shaving and would play music on my laptop, hoping to get sent home on garden leave. Instead they sent me to Cameroon.

Keeping up motivation when you know you are leaving is very difficult, doubly so when you have a new job to go to. Think if it happened again I'd just walk at the point it suited me tbh. Employers can do sfa at the end of the day, although a reference is important and that is a consideration obviously.

Good luck with it, and hope you get a new position / role as hoped.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:39 - Apr 6 with 3600 viewsKeno

Before going any further I would have 4 questions

1, have you discussed with your line manager a change in your role?
2, if you give your notice can you revoke that and stay if needed
3, if you leave in 6 months time without a job have you enough money to survive say 6 months without working
4,do you know what you'd like to do next

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:40 - Apr 6 with 3587 viewsChurchman

I think it depends on your age, qualifications, circumstances (dependents etc), what you are looking to do.

I did exactly that a long time ago. I’d just had enough and thought ‘You get one crack at this life milarky, you’re unhappy, do something about it’. Because they were offering a voluntary redundancy package I had a little money and my wife, as a teacher, had a safe job, no kids, so it was a limited risk tbh. I never regretted it.

A few years later, I was made redundant and had about 9 months off. About half that time deliberately, the other half looking for work. As I say it all worked out really well for me.

I did notice that the older I got, the harder it was to find work. It’s generally accepted it’s easier moving jobs if you are in work. Looking for work out of work requires discipline and persistence and I found it a little lonely at times too, if I’m honest. If you do it, plan your time and your money and enjoy the free time you allocate to yourself.

In conclusion, it’s a big old world out there. If you feel your job has run it’s course and something new within the company isn’t an option, do something about it and never look back!

Just a view.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 11:52]
Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:40 - Apr 6 with 3588 viewschicoazul

Anyone doing what you describe at the moment in this jobs market is mad. The economy is going to really struggle for the next couple of years. It sounds like you have a decent job that you are good at and unless you are forced to leave I would stay for at least the rest of this year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:50 - Apr 6 with 3519 viewsBiGDonnie

With a 6 month notice period I'd hand notice in ASAP. I find it virtually impossible to regain the love for something once it's gone. 6 months give you plenty of time to sort your next role out. If you were on a months notice I'd say find something before handing notice in.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:57 - Apr 6 with 3480 viewsPlums

I was in the same position a few years ago. I knew I wanted to go contracting but as nobody wants a contractor unless they’re available, I had to resign and then start the process of setting myself up properly etc. As it happened, I got a role with six weeks of my six month notice period ending and was able to negotiate an early exit. I haven’t looked back - although it was a weird period during my notice.
I can’t comment on your personal position but I start a new senior role next week which has been created and recruited to (along with an entirely new team) during the past few months so they are out there. It feels like the right move at the right time and saying good bye to contracting at the moment also feels like a sound decision.
Good luck - you only pass this way once.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:18 - Apr 6 with 3284 viewsmonytowbray

Did it once moving to London and had a new role lined up two weeks later.

I also walked out of my old job half way through the day and never went back before I went self-employed. Sometimes you need that push to move on. F**k knows how many ruts I've found myself stuck in in employment but I deffo put up with month's more crap than I'd have patience for these days.

However I am fairly decent at my job, work in an in-demand niche and have a decade's experience. I would have never dared do it 12 years ago when I was living hand-to-mouth in temping roles during a recession.

It's a massive privilege to be in such a position, I wish everyone had this level of freedom in work, it should be the default minimum for good mental wellbeing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:25 - Apr 6 with 3239 viewsblue62

Whatever you decide to do then good luck. Tough decision to leave a comfortable job with a steady income, but there is no point working for a third of your day and not being happy in what you do.

So, would you regret it if you didnt go now?
One comment on here was to stay until the economy was better, good sensible advice.
Is your role in demand? Do you have contact in an industry you would consider working in that you could sound out for a possible role?
Would you consider an in between job just to fill time and give you income while you decided what to do.
You may be able to agree a package with your current employer to let you leave in less than 6 months, I mean who would give their job 100% if you are leaving?

I think some of the other comments about being able to financially support yourself is the main thing. Nothing worse than worrying about bills/mortgage/maintenance payments every month.
Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:29 - Apr 6 with 3214 viewsFunge

When my old man died, it hit me for 6 somewhat; at the time I was a few months into a new job that I really wasn't enjoying.

I took the decision to quit the job and do a few weeks travelling with the cash he left me; I had an excellent few weeks in Vietnam and Thailand...

Anyway, I gradually increased my efforts looking for work over the 4 months or so that I was off; I had three 'soft' job offers on the table prior to going away, one of which I came back to.

My advice would be (if possible) to enjoy the summer; enjoy the (relative) freedom, but perhaps put down a couple of markers with whatever it is you want to do next.

I'd love to have the opportunity to do it again.
Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:31 - Apr 6 with 3203 viewsSikamikanico

16 months ago I handed in notice of 3 months with no job lined up. My mental health had reached its all time lowest point a couple months before and I couldn't see a way forward in that role.

I left work 2 weeks before the first lockdown.

I now have a small but growing tax advice and preparation business, work part time for a local theatre as an accountant and have a couple of other things lined up for when the world opens up.

If you can handle it taking a little longer to get a job you want then it could be a good move
Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:36 - Apr 6 with 3181 viewsDyland

Do it.

Absolutely do it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:38 - Apr 6 with 3174 viewsDyland

Handing in notice without a new job... on 11:38 - Apr 6 by bluelagos

Most liberating day I had was the day I resigned. Had no job lined up but had always wanted to try teaching and/or work in the INGO sector. I managed to do both in the years ahead, but at the time nothing was certain. Quite a few colleagues were stunned and/or jealous - but they were also constrained by mortgages/wives/responsibilities. But if you can, go for it :-)

The downside, was I had to work a 6 month notice period once and my employer held me to it. After a month or so they found my replacement and I trained him up. They still insisted I went into the office, even though I literally had nothing to do, other than be around in case the new guy needed help/guidance.

I started wearing footie shirts into the office, stopped shaving and would play music on my laptop, hoping to get sent home on garden leave. Instead they sent me to Cameroon.

Keeping up motivation when you know you are leaving is very difficult, doubly so when you have a new job to go to. Think if it happened again I'd just walk at the point it suited me tbh. Employers can do sfa at the end of the day, although a reference is important and that is a consideration obviously.

Good luck with it, and hope you get a new position / role as hoped.

"I started wearing footie shirts into the office, stopped shaving and would play music on my laptop, hoping to get sent home on garden leave. Instead they sent me to Cameroon."

Heh :)

Handing in notice without a new job... on 13:55 - Apr 6 with 3096 viewsBluefish

Don't be afraid of the 6 months, it is worthless. I had to give similar in my last job so when I applied for a new one told them it would be negotiable. When I got the job I told my old employer the date I wanted to go and they agreed. It is in their interest to do a deal

Good luck

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:37 - Apr 6 with 3026 viewsclive_baker

Thanks all, plenty of food for thought and all really valid points on both sides.

Very much feel at a crossroads right now with one route saying 'feck it, you're only here once so do what feels right and back yourself that it'll all work out'. The benefit of 6 months is as soon as my notice is in I can start to negotiate that openly, and at least tell new roles I'm working my notice, which I think feels very different to it's 6 months and not handed in yet. The issue with pre-empting it with my current boss is he's the CEO and it's a bit tricky to effectively tell him I'm looking around.

I take all the points about the current climate though. I'm pretty confident I would get something to avoid being out of work for a long period, but I think it's likely to not be at the level I'm at now. I'm fine with that though, part of the reason for considering it is to spend more time with family and be less stressed at work. I'm not interested in a promotion or anything and I'm happy with a pay cut that reflects that, if needs be.

It's funny, just a couple of hours after I posted this I opened Twitter for the first time in a day or so and the first post I'm greeted with was this one. Perhaps it's fate:

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:43 - Apr 6 with 3007 viewsDyland

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:37 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

Thanks all, plenty of food for thought and all really valid points on both sides.

Very much feel at a crossroads right now with one route saying 'feck it, you're only here once so do what feels right and back yourself that it'll all work out'. The benefit of 6 months is as soon as my notice is in I can start to negotiate that openly, and at least tell new roles I'm working my notice, which I think feels very different to it's 6 months and not handed in yet. The issue with pre-empting it with my current boss is he's the CEO and it's a bit tricky to effectively tell him I'm looking around.

I take all the points about the current climate though. I'm pretty confident I would get something to avoid being out of work for a long period, but I think it's likely to not be at the level I'm at now. I'm fine with that though, part of the reason for considering it is to spend more time with family and be less stressed at work. I'm not interested in a promotion or anything and I'm happy with a pay cut that reflects that, if needs be.

It's funny, just a couple of hours after I posted this I opened Twitter for the first time in a day or so and the first post I'm greeted with was this one. Perhaps it's fate:

That's some classic synchronicity Bakers.

Do it, man.

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:48 - Apr 6 with 2980 viewsmonytowbray

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:37 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

Employment is a form of slavery anyway. Everyone should be self employed and collectively form democratic unions for every industry.

shrugs.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:58 - Apr 6 with 2952 viewsJ2BLUE

Handing in notice without a new job... on 14:48 - Apr 6 by monytowbray

Employment is a form of slavery anyway. Everyone should be self employed and collectively form democratic unions for every industry.

shrugs.

Genuinely insulting to people who actually suffered slavery.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Handing in notice without a new job... on 15:12 - Apr 6 with 2927 viewsjas0999

I personally couldn’t afford to take the risk. That said, my notice period is two weeks, not six months. That gives you plenty of time to find something else.

Good luck in your job search.
Handing in notice without a new job... on 15:52 - Apr 6 with 2869 viewsDebsyAngel

I had to do it for my sanity at the Council. The bullying and setting me up to get into trouble was making me so ill, and the constant noise from one member of staff. I asked my supervisor could I move to another part of the office to be away from her, but he refused, despite my lack of concentration meaning I was making mistakes on very important information in my job role.

I was battling thyroid issues and had recently started on medication to help me, but the constant stress and noise meant I was going home suicidal each day and my parents were so upset at the state I was in, that they complained to my supervisor.

But it did nothing - it all came to a head where I had a supervision and the lies that were being thrown at me, despite my evidence that it was rubbish, having proof of medical stuff and doctors appointments.... he just would not listen. They wanted me gone and all the staff ganged up on me.

I walked out and was about to throw myself off the 4th floor balcony in the building but was pulled back by a couple of cleaners there. I called my Dad who collected me, and got a doctors appointment that same day, and the locum there told me to quit the job, as I would never win with bullying that bad.

I went in the next day when I knew most people were in meetings, and collected my stuff and cleared any personal stuff off my computer.

A few weeks passed and that supervisor rang to talk to me, but I refused to take it and wrote a resignation letter. What a way to end 23 years in a job that I had once loved.

I had a few weeks off to move in with my now husband, and that was the one thing that kept me going.

I tried to get another job after half a year on Income Support, but my health was getting so bad, that I was moved to ESA. I did get an interview at another job and was offered the job, but sadly I had a breakdown after that and never really recovered. I am now a housewife but feel like a failure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024