Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories 15:58 - Apr 7 with 5374 viewsITFC_nostalgia

I wondered if anyone had memories of the 1975 FA Cup Semi Final v West Ham. Was the first match as dull as i think? Obviously the replay was dominated by C**ve Th***s (didn't want to swear ) but am I right in thinking it was a pretty even game generally?
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 15:59 - Apr 7 with 4505 viewstrncbluearmy

It was all Ipswich and we were robbed and yes it still psses me of
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 15:59 - Apr 7 with 4503 viewsKeno

From where I was standing on The Shed we outplayed them and deserved to win but for C**ve Th***s

Then again I be just a tad bias

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:00 - Apr 7 with 4496 viewslongtimefan

I suspect it was. I was there but the only thing I really recall was the local youths demanding money from my father to mind his car!
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:42 - Apr 7 with 4425 viewssouthnorfolkblue

The first game was a non event from recollection. Obviously it all kicked off in the replay

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:22 - Apr 7 with 4373 viewsRadlett_blue

As I recall, we had a couple of players injured during the first game at Villa Park & Trevor Whymark ended up at centre half so we are reasonably happy with the draw. The less said about the refereeing in the 2nd game, the better, but Mr Thomas apparently disallowed a perfectly good goal by Bryan Hamilton & then did the same thing when Hamilton scored a legitimate late winner for Everton against Liverpool in another semi final 2 years later. Thomas later admitted that while he hadn't seen Hamilton handle the ball, he felt from his angle that he couldn't have put it in the net without handling it! I guess Mr Thomas isn't on the Christmas card list of Hamilton or Mick Mills.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:46 - Apr 7 with 4323 viewsWeWereZombies

West Ham managed to knobble both Beattie and Hunter in the first twenty minutes, which I suppose is an achievement that no other team has shared. Criminal that the fouls went unpunished and it put a shadow over the game that stifled our more expansive game as well as leaving us fragile at the back.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:52 - Apr 7 with 4307 viewsmonty_radio

Slightly strange one for me - living near Lowestoft at the time, and debating too long about going. Set off far too late, and, as we crawled through London, became obvious that we weren't going to make it. Turned back at Stratford and listened to radio commentary on way home. So, didn't see it - but then, neither did Clive Thomas.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:57 - Apr 7 with 4297 viewsChurchman

Our team were pretty knackered before the Villa Park game after 10 games in March and a home game against Birmingham on 1 April four days before the first semi. The Stamford Bridge game was four days after. We lost players during the game through injury too.

We were better than West Ham and should have won the Cup that year having beaten Wolves away, Leeds, Liverpool and Aston Villa who while in the second division were decent, as they showed during an hour of that game.

I was absolutely gutted when we lost that West Ham game. Redemption came three years later, of course.
Login to get fewer ads

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 18:02 - Apr 7 with 4279 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Can remember it was very cold and if memory serves me correctly didn't it snow that evening?
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 18:17 - Apr 7 with 4255 viewsRadlett_blue

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 17:46 - Apr 7 by WeWereZombies

West Ham managed to knobble both Beattie and Hunter in the first twenty minutes, which I suppose is an achievement that no other team has shared. Criminal that the fouls went unpunished and it put a shadow over the game that stifled our more expansive game as well as leaving us fragile at the back.

I think it was Bobby Gould who nobbled both Beattie & Hunter - he must have been a brave man!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 18:43 - Apr 7 with 4228 viewsjaykay

my memories are of me picking my now sadly deceased mate up from ipswich civic collage
at 4 pm and racing down the A12 to newbury park. where got the underground to chelseas ground. we got there late and was told the town had already scored but that norwich scum of a ref disallowed it.he chalked another one of as well. i have never seen a one sided ref like him before. he couldn't disallow the own goal.
we had played leeds 3 times and then west ham twice in 2 rounds of the cup. also a omen was seeing us play in yellow.
it was a freezing night and when we finally got back to newbury park , my window screen was frozen. getting out what i thought was a can of de icer turned out to to be a tin of my mrs hairspray. when i turned the wipers on it smeared. so all street lamps and car headlights shining in was like lookeing through a rainbow all the way home.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 05:59 - Apr 9 with 4111 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Thanks for all these recollections. May be I was being overly kind to West Hsm to say it was equal, but it’s hard to judge fairly given the refereeing.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 08:49 - Apr 9 with 4012 viewsBlueastheycome

Just watched his abysmal decision to cancel Everton’s perfectly legimate winning goal against Liverpool in the 1977 FA Cup Semi final. Looks like Everton and Ipswich fans have one thing in common.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 10:59]
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:45 - Apr 9 with 3950 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

I have an intense dislike of West Ham ever since, even more so than Norwich. The so-called "academy of football" kicked us off the pitch with their dirty tactics at Villa Park. My other memory from the 1st game was being desperate for a pee, and not able to move as we were so rammed in together. The replay at Stamford Bridge was daylight robbery helped by ref Clive Thomas. Got very cold and wet too. Then queuing for the Underground with loads of West Ham fans singing "Blowing Bubbles". I can't hear that song without remembering that horrible night.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:54 - Apr 9 with 3943 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:45 - Apr 9 by muhrensleftfoot

I have an intense dislike of West Ham ever since, even more so than Norwich. The so-called "academy of football" kicked us off the pitch with their dirty tactics at Villa Park. My other memory from the 1st game was being desperate for a pee, and not able to move as we were so rammed in together. The replay at Stamford Bridge was daylight robbery helped by ref Clive Thomas. Got very cold and wet too. Then queuing for the Underground with loads of West Ham fans singing "Blowing Bubbles". I can't hear that song without remembering that horrible night.

Also just remembered - my brother who was with me said he'd never forgive our young centre back who headed the ball weakly out of defence to the feet of Alan Taylor who then scored. That young centre back was a certain John Wark. My brother forgave him when we won the cup in 1978
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:58 - Apr 9 with 3934 viewsnorth_stand77

Was the only game I've ever gone to and been so angry about the injustice of it. I was about 16 at the time and heartbroken! I think all our fans were in The Shed end? Not sure if it was an evening game but remember it being a long drive home in the dark
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 11:01 - Apr 9 with 3923 viewsWeWereZombies

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 10:58 - Apr 9 by north_stand77

Was the only game I've ever gone to and been so angry about the injustice of it. I was about 16 at the time and heartbroken! I think all our fans were in The Shed end? Not sure if it was an evening game but remember it being a long drive home in the dark

The first semi-final was a three o'clock kick off and, unless it took a long while to get back to your transport or you stopped off for tea soon after Birmingham, most of the journey would have been in daylight. The replay was an evening match, at a neutral ground with the London team having home advantage...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 12:49 - Apr 9 with 3858 viewsnorth_stand77

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 11:01 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

The first semi-final was a three o'clock kick off and, unless it took a long while to get back to your transport or you stopped off for tea soon after Birmingham, most of the journey would have been in daylight. The replay was an evening match, at a neutral ground with the London team having home advantage...

I'm talking about the game v West Ham at Stamford Bridge which was an evening match. I think Clive Thomas was the ref for both matches.

I also went to the first leg at Villa Park.
My memory of that game is walking through the tunnels underneath the ground and being carried along by the Town supporters. It was so packed, it was hard for my feet to connect to the ground.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 13:33 - Apr 9 with 3806 viewsMisterBlue

Didn't go (too young at the time), but was talking to a couple mates only the other week about the goal that wasn't. One of them went, and claims its should have stood. The other, a Norwich fan, highlighted the fact that Thomas was on the books of NCFC as a youngster.
However, we are not the only ones to dislike him...

https://taleoftwohalves.uk/featured/clive-thomas-first-celebrity-referee
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 13:39 - Apr 9 with 3801 viewsblue62

I went but cant remember too much about the game, just blubbing like a child at the result. But i was only 12.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 14:50 - Apr 9 with 3771 viewsgazzer1999

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 18:17 - Apr 7 by Radlett_blue

I think it was Bobby Gould who nobbled both Beattie & Hunter - he must have been a brave man!

And in the final home match of the season we walloped west spam for 4. Also Big Al took revenge on Bobby Gould with a thumping tackle that ruled him out of the final.
Yes it still rankles with me all these years later that they cheated their way to the final with agent Thomas. I have many colleagues who are spammers fans who all agree that we were robbed at stamford bridge. The first game was dull and boring, the second was exciting including the controversy and despite the result. For me I still enjoyed the Filbert street 2nd game more. Quite good for a 15 year old at the time to witness those games. Let's hope with latest takeover todays youngsters get to see some good times.
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 15:39 - Apr 9 with 3749 viewsSeablue

The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 14:50 - Apr 9 by gazzer1999

And in the final home match of the season we walloped west spam for 4. Also Big Al took revenge on Bobby Gould with a thumping tackle that ruled him out of the final.
Yes it still rankles with me all these years later that they cheated their way to the final with agent Thomas. I have many colleagues who are spammers fans who all agree that we were robbed at stamford bridge. The first game was dull and boring, the second was exciting including the controversy and despite the result. For me I still enjoyed the Filbert street 2nd game more. Quite good for a 15 year old at the time to witness those games. Let's hope with latest takeover todays youngsters get to see some good times.

I was at Stamford Bridge that night as an eleven year old. Heartbroken...but happened to see Bryan Hamilton laughing with his wife in Footmans about two days later...I was astonished he wasn't in deep depression! Still,was at Wembley three years later! And of course John Lyall eventually made amends!
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 15:47 - Apr 9 with 3739 viewsronnyd

I remember that it was bloody cold that day and heavy snow on the way home too. Yes, i still hate Clive Thomas, even though he's gone.
Edit, just looked and he's still above ground, 84. Good age, sh!t Ref.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 15:51]
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories on 16:08 - Apr 9 with 3720 viewsnorth_stand77

I went to both Filbert Street games re: Leeds. I'm sure we played on a Tuesday night and then 2 days later going all the way to Leicester again for another replay that week. It wasn't an easy journey then like it is now either!

Imagine that, team playing Saturday- Tuesday - Thursday- Saturday in 8 days!
The 1975 FA Cup Semi Final memories (n/t) on 16:23 - Apr 9 with 3701 viewsnorth_stand77

[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 16:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024