Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. 16:02 - Apr 7 with 1763 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because of the clot stuff.

Should I be concerned? Genuine question. I don’t know enough about it really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:10 - Apr 7 with 1559 viewsitfcjoe

I'm mid 30s and have had that one - the cases seem so low 30 in 12 million.....but guess the risk of dying from that is 30/12,000,000 when risk of dying of Covid when young is probably lower than that....

But you've got more chance of being struck by lightning

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:11 - Apr 7 with 1548 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:10 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

I'm mid 30s and have had that one - the cases seem so low 30 in 12 million.....but guess the risk of dying from that is 30/12,000,000 when risk of dying of Covid when young is probably lower than that....

Oh I see. So the reason it’s only specifically for under 30s is because the risk from covid was even less for that aged group?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:15 - Apr 7 with 1515 viewsRozz

What I think they're saying is the risk of clotting is the same regardless of your age, but it's more of a stinker if you (a fit, young person with very low chance of serious complications from COVID) die of complications from a vaccine you didn't necessarily need to survive.

You would need to assess the risk of one event vs the other, but we are talking about being hit by lightning kind of chances - they're just offering you a different umbrella.
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:17 - Apr 7 with 1502 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:15 - Apr 7 by Rozz

What I think they're saying is the risk of clotting is the same regardless of your age, but it's more of a stinker if you (a fit, young person with very low chance of serious complications from COVID) die of complications from a vaccine you didn't necessarily need to survive.

You would need to assess the risk of one event vs the other, but we are talking about being hit by lightning kind of chances - they're just offering you a different umbrella.

Got ya.

The thing is if I chose not to have the vaccine, as the virus is little risk to me personally, it would undoubtedly be deemed as a selfish thing to do and would result in backlash.

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:17 - Apr 7 with 1506 viewsKeno

Rommers there is more chance that Jenna Coleman, Lily James and England ladies rugby will all want you on the same night than you having an issue with that vaccine

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:18 - Apr 7 with 1490 viewsZXBlue

No. You shouldn't.

A link is not yet demonstrated. It is on the very edges of what is detectable, if it exists.

If it does exist (and we haven't yet adjusted to reflect the fact that covid causes clotting issues itself and we don't know the histories of the very few cases identified), then the chances of a problem are vastly smaller than the chances of catching and having significant issues from covid.
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:18 - Apr 7 with 1489 viewsitfcjoe

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:11 - Apr 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Oh I see. So the reason it’s only specifically for under 30s is because the risk from covid was even less for that aged group?

Yep - those under 30 have next t no chance of dying from Covid, and next to no chance of dying from the vaccine.....but at some point the 30/12,000,000 risk is higher than whatever Cvoid risk is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:20 - Apr 7 with 1474 viewsZXBlue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:18 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

Yep - those under 30 have next t no chance of dying from Covid, and next to no chance of dying from the vaccine.....but at some point the 30/12,000,000 risk is higher than whatever Cvoid risk is

It has been suggested that there MAY be a link to younger women in particular. But it is such a small correlation, we are nowhere near being clear as to any link yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:25 - Apr 7 with 1446 viewsfactual_blue

I assumed it was to make sure there's enough AZ or Pfizer vaccine for those who've already had a dose of either of those two.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:26 - Apr 7 with 1433 viewsRozz

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:17 - Apr 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Got ya.

The thing is if I chose not to have the vaccine, as the virus is little risk to me personally, it would undoubtedly be deemed as a selfish thing to do and would result in backlash.

While you or I likely won't need a vaccine to survive, we should do our bit for the greater good and get one... Particularly if we're being offered an alternative with even lower risk.

The problem is that many people will be looking at the word 'blood clots' and thinking "no thank you". This alternative is being offered to keep uptake in our age group strong, which is essential for herd immunity and to prevent future outbreaks.
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:28 - Apr 7 with 1416 viewsbluelagos

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:17 - Apr 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Got ya.

The best reason to take it, isn't because other people would label you selfish if you don't. The best reason is because the risk to you personally, of say catching long covid, is real and it far outweighs the risks from the vaccine.

And long covid is debilitating. A relative of mine works with patients with long CV and she was telling me of a 29 year old whose life is now severely impacted by long covid. It is destroying her ability to do anything at all, work or do anything sporty.

So read up on the risks of the vaccines, of the risks of a clot and death, and make an informed decision / comparison to the risks of a disease that could kill you and/or possibly leave you with a life changing illness.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:30 - Apr 7 with 1395 viewsRobbie12345

I am 24 and had my first dose due to underlying health conditions. Although the headlines sound concerning, only 79 people in 20m+ have developed blood clots after the AZ vaccine, saving potentially thousands of lives in the process. Those under 30 without underlying conditions are going to be offered a alternative vaccine (where available) as they are low risk of dying from covid so there isn’t any point putting them under very small risk of a blood clot. Its just about managing risk vs reward.

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:30 - Apr 7 with 1395 viewsStokieBlue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:18 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

The risk of dying from C19 is still higher in the under 30's than the risk of taking the vaccine.

The mortality rate for a 25 year old (as of November) was 0.01%. The risk of dying from the from the vaccine is orders or magnitude lower (something like 0.00017% over all cohorts but I don't have the specific number for under 30's).

The issue is that the clotting has been mainly seen in the under 60's and thus the concern is around younger people taking the vaccine as they could have increased clotting risk.

Overall though you're still far more likely to die if you actually catch C19 than you are from having the vaccine. There is also the issues around Long Covid to consider which definitely impact the young pretty severely.

There are wider issues as well. If there is widespread rejection of the vaccine by younger adults then that undermines the vaccination programme as it gives the virus far more vectors through which to transmit and possibly mutate.

If people are worried though they should wait and take the option of the alternative vaccine. I'll have whatever comes along first and hopefully that will be soon.

SB
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 16:31]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:35 - Apr 7 with 1351 viewsTractorCam

Got ya.

You should definitely still get it, the risk of long covid is higher even if the risk of you dying is slim. Even more so with Pfizer/ Moderna potentially.

I've already had one dose of AZ and as a hypochondriac these news reports aren't enjoyable for me...

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

[Redacted] on 16:37 - Apr 7 with 1338 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:39 - Apr 7 with 1332 viewshype313

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:30 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

The risk of dying from C19 is still higher in the under 30's than the risk of taking the vaccine.

The mortality rate for a 25 year old (as of November) was 0.01%. The risk of dying from the from the vaccine is orders or magnitude lower (something like 0.00017% over all cohorts but I don't have the specific number for under 30's).

The issue is that the clotting has been mainly seen in the under 60's and thus the concern is around younger people taking the vaccine as they could have increased clotting risk.

Overall though you're still far more likely to die if you actually catch C19 than you are from having the vaccine. There is also the issues around Long Covid to consider which definitely impact the young pretty severely.

There are wider issues as well. If there is widespread rejection of the vaccine by younger adults then that undermines the vaccination programme as it gives the virus far more vectors through which to transmit and possibly mutate.

If people are worried though they should wait and take the option of the alternative vaccine. I'll have whatever comes along first and hopefully that will be soon.

SB
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 16:31]

Indeed, the chances of death from covid in the under 30's is extremely remote, more of a concern is long covid, I'm in my early 40's and don't fancy getting long covid, but gutted there is a delay as I was hoping it would be this month, although 17m doses of Moderna have arrived, so fingers crossed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:45 - Apr 7 with 1296 viewsStokieBlue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:39 - Apr 7 by hype313

Indeed, the chances of death from covid in the under 30's is extremely remote, more of a concern is long covid, I'm in my early 40's and don't fancy getting long covid, but gutted there is a delay as I was hoping it would be this month, although 17m doses of Moderna have arrived, so fingers crossed.

I was hoping for my vaccine this month as well, fingers crossed they can keep to schedule.

SB

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:00 - Apr 7 with 1245 viewsjeera

[Redacted] on 16:37 - Apr 7 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

And as we now know, it has been established that it's more likely one could die from cows than pretty much anything out there.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:03 - Apr 7 with 1232 viewsfactual_blue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:17 - Apr 7 by Keno

Rommers there is more chance that Jenna Coleman, Lily James and England ladies rugby will all want you on the same night than you having an issue with that vaccine

So that's an unusual thing to happen?

In that case I've got a story for the papers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:17 - Apr 7 with 1200 viewsmikeybloo88

Check out the leaflets which comes with any medicine, even those paracetamols you take all the time...they mention the chances of side effects,some pretty unpleasant side effects at that (even death sometimes), from taking those drugs yet we all take them and probably never read the leaflet. If at the start of the vaccinations they'd stated a 1 in a million chance of serious blood clot on the list of risks would anyone have batted an eyelid? Not a chance...
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 17:35]
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:30 - Apr 7 with 1171 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 16:10 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

I think it's even higher than that isn't it? Sure I saw a scientist on the telly saying 30 people have had a blood clot out of 18.1m who've had the AZ jab, and of those 30, 7 have died.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:49 - Apr 7 with 1132 viewsElderGrizzly

Good summary here of risks at different age groups.

Van Tam was just saying at 20-29 the evidence says Covid is less risk than the vaccine, but that assumed vaccine only gave 4 weeks protection

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:56 - Apr 7 with 1108 viewsStokieBlue

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:49 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

Van Tam was just saying at 20-29 the evidence says Covid is less risk than the vaccine, but that assumed vaccine only gave 4 weeks protection

Did they mention long covid?

As for young adults, that's likely to be an issue.

SB

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 18:18 - Apr 7 with 1041 viewsChurchman

Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 17:49 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

That was on the basis of an infection rate lower than it is now. If the infection rate is as it is now or higher as it was in Jan, the benefits of vaccine over the risk increase dramatically. It also excluded risk of transmission of the virus to others and virus side effects such as long Covid.

The benefits of the vaccine are obvious and the risk minuscule. It’s a no brainer. The death figure announced today from coronavirus was 45. The numbers of people that might have sadly died because of the vaccine is 19 from 20,000,000 doses.
Under 30s now being offered an alternative Vaccine.. on 18:28 - Apr 7 with 1018 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's very sad that even one person has died from a blood clot, although I must stress that there is still no proof that they are linked to the AZ vaccine.

However. the benefits outweigh the risks. Our vaccine programme has seen us now have the lowest current deaths from covid in Europe.

Everyone offered a vaccine should take it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024