Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Purchase Of Ground 09:32 - Apr 8 with 3911 viewsAtmosphere

Apologies if this has already been discussed but does anyone think that the purchase of the freehold at Portman Road may be on the agenda of the new owners?
Purchase Of Ground on 09:35 - Apr 8 with 3625 viewsPhilTWTD

I didn't get that impression that was of particular interest and in any case IBC were unwilling to sell to ME so I doubt that position will change.
Purchase Of Ground on 09:42 - Apr 8 with 3559 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Not really much point to buying it when it's on such a long lease.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Purchase Of Ground on 09:42 - Apr 8 with 3561 viewsGeoffSentence

Purchase Of Ground on 09:35 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

I didn't get that impression that was of particular interest and in any case IBC were unwilling to sell to ME so I doubt that position will change.

It is also an Asset Of Community Value, which would complicate any such deal.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Purchase Of Ground on 09:47 - Apr 8 with 3521 viewsclive_baker

That would be a complete non starter I imagine

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Purchase Of Ground on 09:48 - Apr 8 with 3506 viewsfergalsharkey

Purchase Of Ground on 09:42 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Not really much point to buying it when it's on such a long lease.

if they bought it they would build flats on it, alf ramsey house, bobby robson house, George burley house, paul hurst house.

then build a 15000 identikit stadium outside ransome business park for 455 quid.

that could well be a plan.

Poll: Cook out?

Purchase Of Ground on 09:49 - Apr 8 with 3505 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If I recall when ME tried to buy the freehold there was a huge disparity in estimated value between the two wasn't there?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Purchase Of Ground on 09:52 - Apr 8 with 3486 viewsthebooks

And long may it stay that way. I can’t imagine anything worse than schlepping out to some souless bowl off the A12 (maybe next to the Col U stadium).
Purchase Of Ground on 10:30 - Apr 8 with 3363 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Purchase Of Ground on 09:48 - Apr 8 by fergalsharkey

if they bought it they would build flats on it, alf ramsey house, bobby robson house, George burley house, paul hurst house.

then build a 15000 identikit stadium outside ransome business park for 455 quid.

The Copdock Arena dosen't have a great ring to it.

Although I look forward to my new season ticket in the Toys R Us end

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Login to get fewer ads

Purchase Of Ground on 10:47 - Apr 8 with 3307 viewsGeoffSentence

Purchase Of Ground on 10:30 - Apr 8 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

It would at least have three pubs in easywalking distance.

Purchase Of Ground on 11:19 - Apr 8 with 3206 viewsPhilTWTD

Purchase Of Ground on 09:42 - Apr 8 by GeoffSentence

It is also an Asset Of Community Value, which would complicate any such deal.

I'm not sure whether that's still the case, I think that needs to be renewed after a period of time and don't think it has.
Purchase Of Ground on 11:23 - Apr 8 with 3176 viewsPhilTWTD

Purchase Of Ground on 09:49 - Apr 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

If I recall when ME tried to buy the freehold there was a huge disparity in estimated value between the two wasn't there?

Town offered £1m from what I was told that the time, IBC felt it was worth more:

Clegg: Town Keen to Own Freehold 12th Oct 2011 01:09
Town chief executive Simon Clegg has revealed that the Blues would like to own the freehold of Portman Road. Clegg confirmed that the club offered to buy the land on which their stadium is built earlier in the year but says they and landlords Ipswich Borough Council were some way apart in their valuations. 19

Purchase Of Ground on 11:25 - Apr 8 with 3145 viewsmr_bean

Purchase Of Ground on 11:19 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure whether that's still the case, I think that needs to be renewed after a period of time and don't think it has.

Someone get it renewed pronto then, FFS!
Purchase Of Ground on 11:26 - Apr 8 with 3139 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Purchase Of Ground on 11:23 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

Town offered £1m from what I was told that the time, IBC felt it was worth more:

Town chief executive Simon Clegg has revealed that the Blues would like to own the freehold of Portman Road. Clegg confirmed that the club offered to buy the land on which their stadium is built earlier in the year but says they and landlords Ipswich Borough Council were some way apart in their valuations. 19

It is worth more than that for housing! £1million!!!

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Purchase Of Ground on 11:33 - Apr 8 with 3094 viewsPhilTWTD

Purchase Of Ground on 11:26 - Apr 8 by BlueWorldOrder

It is worth more than that for housing! £1million!!!

That was in the context of the land opposite having been up for development for some years without any takers.
Purchase Of Ground on 11:33 - Apr 8 with 3093 viewsGeoffSentence

Heck, not for the first time, you are right. It expired in 2018

https://democracy.ipswich.gov.uk/documents/s27042/Ipswich%20Borough%20Council%20

Purchase Of Ground on 11:41 - Apr 8 with 3029 viewsElderGrizzly

Purchase Of Ground on 11:23 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

In a Covid cash-strapped council, I would imagine an offer now could be more welcomed?
Purchase Of Ground on 11:43 - Apr 8 with 2999 viewsNthQldITFC

Purchase Of Ground on 09:48 - Apr 8 by fergalsharkey

Lambert Outhouse.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Purchase Of Ground on 11:48 - Apr 8 with 2968 viewsStNeotsBlue

Yes these ACV's things need renewing every few years. Got a mate from CAMRA to sort one for my local boozer a couple of years ago. They don't make redevelopment of anything impossible just less likely with more hoops to jump through.
Purchase Of Ground on 11:51 - Apr 8 with 2956 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Purchase Of Ground on 11:41 - Apr 8 by ElderGrizzly

In a Covid cash-strapped council, I would imagine an offer now could be more welcomed?

Maybe. Depends how much the rent is right? They wanted 250k per year if i remember rightly. It would have to be some offer to wipe that level off per year.

Purchase Of Ground on 12:07 - Apr 8 with 2850 viewsMuncher

Purchase Of Ground on 11:41 - Apr 8 by ElderGrizzly

I would still be very surprised if it were something the council would entertain at any cost. It ensures a measure of control, that if the absolute worst happened a team could continue to play at the stadium.
Purchase Of Ground on 12:08 - Apr 8 with 2842 viewsElderGrizzly

Purchase Of Ground on 11:51 - Apr 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Maybe. Depends how much the rent is right? They wanted 250k per year if i remember rightly. It would have to be some offer to wipe that level off per year.

Agree. Just going on what i've seen with other councils over significant cash injections as a lump over ongoing smaller amounts.

The former appears more attractive since the pandemic on other income streams.

Anyway, not the priority for our new owners i'd suggest. Money better spent in plenty of other places
Purchase Of Ground on 13:41 - Apr 8 with 2684 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Purchase Of Ground on 12:08 - Apr 8 by ElderGrizzly

Agree. Just going on what i've seen with other councils over significant cash injections as a lump over ongoing smaller amounts.

The former appears more attractive since the pandemic on other income streams.

Anyway, not the priority for our new owners i'd suggest. Money better spent in plenty of other places

Yeah, i do see what you mean. I suppose for the council though, this is pretty much an untouchable guaranteed rent, because it's impossible for us to just up sticks and move at the minute so i suspect they wouldn't want to give it up just yet.

And as you say, not really a priority anyway.

Purchase Of Ground on 16:34 - Apr 8 with 2568 viewsmonty_radio

Purchase Of Ground on 10:30 - Apr 8 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

P.C. WORLD End would be O.K. given the manager's initials

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Purchase Of Ground on 21:55 - Apr 8 with 2352 viewsEdmundo

Purchase Of Ground on 11:33 - Apr 8 by GeoffSentence

Heck, not for the first time, you are right. It expired in 2018

https://democracy.ipswich.gov.uk/documents/s27042/Ipswich%20Borough%20Council%20

Not being too cynical, would the Independent Supporters Trust/Ipswich Town 1st fancy putting this up for renewal? May keep the wolf from the door should things go pear shaped.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Purchase Of Ground on 23:03 - Apr 8 with 2255 viewsClapham_Junction

Purchase Of Ground on 21:55 - Apr 8 by Edmundo

Not being too cynical, would the Independent Supporters Trust/Ipswich Town 1st fancy putting this up for renewal? May keep the wolf from the door should things go pear shaped.

Are they still going? Their website and twitter hasn't been updated since 2017.

I saw Alasdair Ross was involved when it was listed in 2013 and I have contacted him to ask if he could look into renewing it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024