Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian long read on Covid scepticism 10:04 - Apr 8 with 1009 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/08/among-covid-sceptics-we-are-being-m

It's quite a depressing read and shows how "normal" people can be sucked into these things through circumstances which are out of their control. The majority of the points put forward by people are easily disproven with only a bit of basic research but nobody does that as they don't want their views disproven.

A couple of paragraphs I thought were key:

This kind of thing is difficult to factcheck, and besides, factchecking is of limited use in changing believers’ minds, because sources such as the BBC or the Office for National Statistics are seen as untrustworthy, part of the lie. “If you don’t want to be convinced, then it’s not going to happen,” says Jon Roozenbeek, a Cambridge academic who studies disinformation.

One said sadly that his grandparents wouldn’t see him any more. “They believe this whole thing, hook, line and sinker. They’ve been brainwashed by the BBC. To be honest, I don’t blame them. I put it on for 15 minutes the other day, and I could feel myself getting brainwashed, too, so I switched it off.”

I fear the battle is already lost when presenting factual and scientific information is seen as untrustworthy or brainwashing. I've seen this exact behaviour on here in PM's, even citing the same things about the media and brainwashing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:32 - Apr 8 with 929 viewsJ2BLUE

Once you get into an echo chamber it's hard to get out of. Like he says, unless you're looking for the exit and run to it without looking back you're getting sucked back in.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism (n/t) on 11:46 - Apr 8 with 883 viewsipswich78

[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 13:18]

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:49 - Apr 8 with 864 viewslowhouseblue

as an example of some of the real loons out there:

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/a-very-convenient-pandemic/

it gets madder and madder - i made it as far as where he discusses plans to 'liquidate' the unvaccinated.

if only we still had cil.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:56 - Apr 8 with 839 viewsDanTheMan

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:49 - Apr 8 by lowhouseblue

it gets madder and madder - i made it as far as where he discusses plans to 'liquidate' the unvaccinated.

"Is there a pandemic? Was there ever a pandemic? "

Imagine being this person.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 12:05 - Apr 8 with 807 viewsSteve_M

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:49 - Apr 8 by lowhouseblue

I think she goes by the name of Laura Perrin now and runs Conservative Woman.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 12:33 - Apr 8 with 773 viewsBlueBadger

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 11:32 - Apr 8 by J2BLUE

Once you get into an echo chamber it's hard to get out of. Like he says, unless you're looking for the exit and run to it without looking back you're getting sucked back in.

Balls.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 12:40 - Apr 8 with 751 viewsfactual_blue

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism (n/t) on 11:46 - Apr 8 by ipswich78

[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 13:18]

(Spoiler Alert - this rarely turns out well).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Guardian long read on Covid scepticism on 12:46 - Apr 8 with 731 viewsElderGrizzly

Sadly, it is quite 'profitable' for people to not believe and lead others in that direction too.

It is across social media, with people in industries that have no qualifications to comment on the efficacy of vaccines for example deciding it is all deep state etc.

And we see in Government to that the ERG morphs into the CRG and pushes the same idiotic theories.

It's depressing, but reflective of how desperate some of the population are I guess.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024