Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? 08:23 - Apr 9 with 1432 viewsbackinbeige

Mike O’Leary has been brought in as chairman and disclosed he plans to spend 2 days a week with us. The new consortium, Three Lions, are actively hiring a new CEO to be the ‘driving force’ of the club operating under MOL’s oversight.

‘Driving force of the club’ seemed to be the position LON found himself in for better or worse (answer: worse, we’re now a mid table League One club).

LON seemed to rise through the ranks to become Marcus’ favoured son and engineer that role for himself. Reading between the lines he put a few noses out of joint in the process of his ascendency, especially within the academy setup, and he may have played the political game. That’s the impression I got from the big Athletic piece a few months back.

He also intrinsically tied himself to Paul Lambert and positioned them as a package in the eyes of many. Bit daft when you consider the average life expectancy of a football manager.

It’s looking like LON will need to take a reduced role if he stays, something I suspect he won’t.

Indeed, Lee already departed during the new owner fanfare?

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 08:27 - Apr 9 with 1396 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

He was at the football club yesterday before leaving at lunchtime. The perks of working in Endeavour House that overlooks the car park.

So he's still there (for now).

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 08:35 - Apr 9 with 1326 viewsFixed_It

I think you have misinterpreted quite a lot there. He didn't align himself with Lambert - he was Evans' mouthpiece and whilst Evans was backing Lambert LON voiced that support. Hopefully he will have a role in managing the Academy which is where he had a good reputation. He has been tainted by the impossible role that Evans promoted him to, which coincided with one of the worst periods of our history - but none of that was really his fault, and doesn't make him the monster that some people seem to make him out to be. Have you met him?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 09:03 - Apr 9 with 1215 viewsbackinbeige

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 08:35 - Apr 9 by Fixed_It

I think you have misinterpreted quite a lot there. He didn't align himself with Lambert - he was Evans' mouthpiece and whilst Evans was backing Lambert LON voiced that support. Hopefully he will have a role in managing the Academy which is where he had a good reputation. He has been tainted by the impossible role that Evans promoted him to, which coincided with one of the worst periods of our history - but none of that was really his fault, and doesn't make him the monster that some people seem to make him out to be. Have you met him?

Yes - although as I said above the majority of the conjecture is from the Athletic piece, we didn’t sit down for a heart to heart where he opened up about his tenure. In fact they did interview people.

My assessment is more that he found himself in the position of General Manager - either by design or by happy accident - and wasn’t the man we needed. He was new to the role and new to the level of responsibility (fresh out of the youth setup and working as a recruitment consultant previously) and while he didn’t have malicious intent, he doesn’t seem to have made many difficult decisions or banged heads together to arrest an internal slide and malaise within the club. He seemed to have alienated a few people internally with the decisions he supported Marcus on - leaning on sports science and lower league signings more than was recommended which came to a head when Paul Hurst bought a league one team - and was championed by Ian Milne before he was shown the door.

I didn’t call him a monster, I don’t think he is, we can all exaggerate for effect. I wish him well, he’ll be better for the experience.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 09:07 - Apr 9 with 1196 viewsTractorWood

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 09:03 - Apr 9 by backinbeige

Yes - although as I said above the majority of the conjecture is from the Athletic piece, we didn’t sit down for a heart to heart where he opened up about his tenure. In fact they did interview people.

My assessment is more that he found himself in the position of General Manager - either by design or by happy accident - and wasn’t the man we needed. He was new to the role and new to the level of responsibility (fresh out of the youth setup and working as a recruitment consultant previously) and while he didn’t have malicious intent, he doesn’t seem to have made many difficult decisions or banged heads together to arrest an internal slide and malaise within the club. He seemed to have alienated a few people internally with the decisions he supported Marcus on - leaning on sports science and lower league signings more than was recommended which came to a head when Paul Hurst bought a league one team - and was championed by Ian Milne before he was shown the door.

I didn’t call him a monster, I don’t think he is, we can all exaggerate for effect. I wish him well, he’ll be better for the experience.

Basically an impossible job. Asked to be the public face of things he had no say in determining. Proper management mandates people based on their proven skillset.

All part of the rich tapestry of Evans' successive and repeat failures.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 11:45 - Apr 9 with 956 viewsBlueWorldOrder

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 09:07 - Apr 9 by TractorWood

Basically an impossible job. Asked to be the public face of things he had no say in determining. Proper management mandates people based on their proven skillset.

All part of the rich tapestry of Evans' successive and repeat failures.

But wasn't smart enough to tell the owner that maybe spinning the training ground incident the way they did, or banning Phil as a result of a poster leaking the team maybe wasn't a good idea? If the man has no ideas of his own or no backbone to challenge his boss and offer good advice why would we still want him here? He comes out with absolute dribble when he does speak.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:04 - Apr 9 with 890 viewsPrideOfTheEast

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 11:45 - Apr 9 by BlueWorldOrder

But wasn't smart enough to tell the owner that maybe spinning the training ground incident the way they did, or banning Phil as a result of a poster leaking the team maybe wasn't a good idea? If the man has no ideas of his own or no backbone to challenge his boss and offer good advice why would we still want him here? He comes out with absolute dribble when he does speak.

You have no idea what he did or didn't say to the owner.

He clearly had no authority and had very little control of aspects of the club he was asked to talk to the general public about.

Personally I'd never have taken on such a role under ME because unless the team is doing well (and therefore everybody is happy) you're completely thrown under the bus. I guess with a young family, a love for the club you work for, a belief that you can make it all work, a bigger salary than before etc you think twice and convince yourself it's worth doing.
What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:08 - Apr 9 with 876 views66notout

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:04 - Apr 9 by PrideOfTheEast

You have no idea what he did or didn't say to the owner.

He clearly had no authority and had very little control of aspects of the club he was asked to talk to the general public about.

Personally I'd never have taken on such a role under ME because unless the team is doing well (and therefore everybody is happy) you're completely thrown under the bus. I guess with a young family, a love for the club you work for, a belief that you can make it all work, a bigger salary than before etc you think twice and convince yourself it's worth doing.

I'd say that is a pretty good summary of his situation. I can see him being surplus to requirements under the new regime and if he does stay on board it will a role with far less responsibility and a reduced salary. There are no benefactors within the new set-up and they will be looking to trim costs as well.
What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:11 - Apr 9 with 867 viewsJ2BLUE

Think we need to forgive and forget. Apparently he was decent enough to Phil. He didn't help himself with certain comments but he might be useful to the new regime.

Fresh start IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:14 - Apr 9 with 855 viewsGeorge03

I think i could see him go back to the academy. If the new owners want to push for category 1, then that might persuade him to take the pay reduction, as after all that what he was working towards years before becoming in charge of football operation.
What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:16 - Apr 9 with 846 viewspointofblue

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 11:45 - Apr 9 by BlueWorldOrder

If I understood Phil correctly I think Lee O’Neill did challenge him being banned from press conferences but if Lambert dug his heals in he can only do so much.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What does this mean for Lee O’Neil? on 12:45 - Apr 9 with 789 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we'll still need someone to make the tea.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024