Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich City FC in 2022? 09:29 - Apr 9 with 2716 viewssuffolkpunchdrunk

As part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012 the Queen chose three towns to become cities.

2022 marks The Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations and more towns may have city status bestowed upon them. Will Ipswich finally achieve city status in 2022?

Ipswich City FC promoted to the premiership at the end of the 2022-2023 season?
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:33 - Apr 9 with 2457 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Ipswich City bids are like UK in the Eurovision song contest.

We all secretly think we will win but then either Estonia or Middlesborough get it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:36 - Apr 9 with 2410 viewsCheltenham_Blue

No thanks.

Ipswich Town FC works perfectly well.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:37 - Apr 9 with 2401 viewsnoggin

What, if anything, is the advantage of having city status?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:42 - Apr 9 with 2375 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:37 - Apr 9 by noggin

What, if anything, is the advantage of having city status?

I think it give you a bit more gravitas.

Norwich has received an avalanche of government and lottery funding over the years, especially in regards to transport.

From memory back in the day there wasn't a mile of dual carriageway in Norfolk and now there are brilliant links.

We have the busiest container port in the UK down the road, we should 100% have an M12 and I really think something like city status would have helped.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:44 - Apr 9 with 2348 viewsITFCLuke

Might be a silly question but would that genuinely require the need to change the name of the club to ICFC?
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:50 - Apr 9 with 2311 viewsChiefXL

The club has always said in the past, during previous bids to become a city, that we would retain the name Ipswich Town FC

A reverse Chelmsford City FC if you will...
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:51 - Apr 9 with 2298 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:50 - Apr 9 by ChiefXL

The club has always said in the past, during previous bids to become a city, that we would retain the name Ipswich Town FC

Yes!

Although Chelmsford is actually now a City I think

The football club was ahead of its time.

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:53 - Apr 9 with 2287 viewsChiefXL

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:51 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

Yes!

Although Chelmsford is actually now a City I think

The football club was ahead of its time.

Just checked and indeed it is.
That passed me by
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:01 - Apr 9 with 2236 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:44 - Apr 9 by ITFCLuke

Might be a silly question but would that genuinely require the need to change the name of the club to ICFC?

No, in the past when Ipswich has made a city bid the club have said that the name would not change.

New owners, new game now. Who knows what they might do.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:03 - Apr 9 with 2218 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:42 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

Norwich has received an avalanche of government and lottery funding over the years, especially in regards to transport.

From memory back in the day there wasn't a mile of dual carriageway in Norfolk and now there are brilliant links.

We have the busiest container port in the UK down the road, we should 100% have an M12 and I really think something like city status would have helped.

Chelmsford has also see a lot of investment since achieving City status. It makes no practical difference at all, but symbolically and in terms of public perception it makes all the difference in the world.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:03 - Apr 9 with 2218 viewsITFCLuke

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:01 - Apr 9 by GeoffSentence

No, in the past when Ipswich has made a city bid the club have said that the name would not change.

New owners, new game now. Who knows what they might do.

Going by American standards we might well be FC Suffolk White Punches for all I know
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:14 - Apr 9 with 2169 viewsBlueastheycome

http://www.orwellahead.co.uk/ipswich-city-status

This article puts it beautifully

[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 10:23]
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:18 - Apr 9 with 2148 viewsBlueastheycome

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:44 - Apr 9 by ITFCLuke

I always felt that 'City vs Town' in derby games implies some sort of superiority on their behalf and I would welcome Ipswich dropping the Town if we became a city and we were just Ipswich Football Club. I appreciate that I will be in the minority for this though! The 'Town' or 'Towen' would always live on in the hearts and minds of us fans anyway
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 10:20]
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:23 - Apr 9 with 2103 viewsPendejo

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:42 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

M12 and M14 required, methinks.

Create a Greater Ipswich with a unitary council free of SCC.

Build it and they will come...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:30 - Apr 9 with 2069 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:23 - Apr 9 by Pendejo

M12 and M14 required, methinks.

Create a Greater Ipswich with a unitary council free of SCC.

Build it and they will come...

Ipswich needs to swallow Kesgrave, Martlesham etc.

There was a plan in the 60's to join Ipswich to Felixstowe making one large city mass

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 11:15 - Apr 9 with 1992 viewsPendejo

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:30 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

Ipswich needs to swallow Kesgrave, Martlesham etc.

There was a plan in the 60's to join Ipswich to Felixstowe making one large city mass

And Pinewood, plus the other outer fringes that were gerrymandered off, Etc etc

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 11:25 - Apr 9 with 1940 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 10:14 - Apr 9 by Blueastheycome

http://www.orwellahead.co.uk/ipswich-city-status

This article puts it beautifully

[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 10:23]

They look a forward thinking lot. I remember seeing their stuff about the northern bypass. I might contact them and get involved in any way if I can.

Ipswich and Suffolks biggest problem is that there doesn't seem to be any real get up and go attitude. Everyone seems to be happy that it's Sleepy Suffolk. All very NIMBY in my opinion.

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 11:29 - Apr 9 with 1933 viewsJackSted

Still can't believe she gave Chelmsford city status last time
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 11:29]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 11:32 - Apr 9 with 1907 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 09:50 - Apr 9 by ChiefXL

We'll always be Ipswich Town.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:03 - Apr 9 with 1826 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 11:29 - Apr 9 by JackSted

Still can't believe she gave Chelmsford city status last time
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 11:29]

I think it was because Essex is huge and they never had a city. They should have given it to Saffron Walden.

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:13 - Apr 9 with 1791 viewsBlueBadger

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:03 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

I think it was because Essex is huge and they never had a city. They should have given it to Saffron Walden.

Sure Essex had a city, they had London. That's the capital of Essex.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:18 - Apr 9 with 1767 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:13 - Apr 9 by BlueBadger

Sure Essex had a city, they had London. That's the capital of Essex.

My favourite VIZ caption was "We've won the lottery luv, pack your bags, we're moving to Essex.

Copyright Cockney W@nker

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:47 - Apr 9 with 1672 viewsBlueBadger

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:18 - Apr 9 by Lord_Lucan

My favourite VIZ caption was "We've won the lottery luv, pack your bags, we're moving to Essex.

Copyright Cockney W@nker

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 12:47 - Apr 9 with 1675 viewsThe_Major

Also, in light of breaking news, it wouldn't surprise me if she chucks it in next year, so there may be might be a double chance.
Ipswich City FC in 2022? on 14:04 - Apr 9 with 1559 viewsorwellahead

Thanks to all above for your interest in www.orwellahead.co.uk and our post supporting CITY STATUS for IPSWICH.

We are a small Ipswich based group, campaigning for greater authority, ambition and representation for IPSWICH in local government, New Anglia LEP (which determines the focus of economic development in Suffolk & Norfolk) and local media.

The greater Ipswich area is the catalyst for two-thirds of Suffolk's GVA (£8bn p.a) and provides the infrastructure & services for one-third of Suffolk's population. Yet, since a catastrophic local government restructure in 1974 Ipswich has been "Suffolkated" with the rural Suffolk cart leading the urban Ipswich horse.
As a former County-Borough, for 774 years Ipswich had full control over both borough and county aspects of local government. Ipswich had authority, a sense of place and pride. Today, most decisions for urban Ipswich at county level now comes from rural Suffolk decision makers (non-stake holders in Ipswich). Beyond borough boundaries (last set in 1835) all Ipswich's growth is controlled by, and benefits, rural Suffolk districts who never reinvest into the centre that sustains it all. Our economic and media representation comes from Norwich-centric organisations (Archant, BBC, New Anglia LEP).

Back to football. In our view, the club and town are inextricably linked.
At www.OrwellAhead.co.uk we are not only supporters of Ipswich Town, but also the town of Ipswich. We want both club and our town to return to the Premier League.

Thanks for your interest.
Mark Ling
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024