Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) 12:09 - Apr 9 with 11622 viewsArnieM

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:03 - Apr 9 with 1863 viewsbluelagos

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:58 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

I always think that on the day somebody dies, if don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all.

There is plenty of time to discuss a person's legacy, plus and minus points when the body is no longer warm.

"There is plenty of time to discuss a person's legacy, plus and minus points when the body is no longer warm. "

You might wish to direct that to the many TV and radio stations which at present seem to be presenting things without much consideration for the many "minus points".

Anyhow - got to get off so I'll leave it for now.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:22 - Apr 9 with 1806 viewsSpruceMoose

There's an awful lot of people policing the feelings of others and attempting to cancel certain beliefs on this thread.

Just sayin'.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:25 - Apr 9 with 1789 viewssolemio

One aspect of the late Duke that rarely if ever gets mentioned is his ability as an artist.
Prince Charles has often had some of his pictures shown on line and elsewhere, but I went to an exhibition of his father's paintings at Windsor. They were seriously good, whereas Charles's were really not bad for an amateur.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:31 - Apr 9 with 1774 viewsRyorry

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:55 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

I'm sorry Rommers, but when someone dies, their character, history and the way they have conducted themselves doesn't disappear.

Of course at one level, an old man (husband, dad and grandad) dies and that is sad. But that doesn't mean he was an angel anymore than anyone else who dies.

We are now to be force fed royalist claptrap for the next few days rewriting his life and frankly, I and many others have no time for it.

People being honest about who he was, how he conducted himself and what he represented isn't being disrespectful. Of course some people will wish to remember him as the royalists portray him, and that is their right.

Same as it is for others to be more balanced in their observations and memories.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 13:57]

I think the objections are as much about the timing as anything BL - barely a couple of hours since his death this morning was announced & people seemingly can't wait to post the negativity.

Like all the rest of us stoopid humans, Prince Philip had his good points & also many far less good points - if people can't bring themselves to post the good bits immediately after someone's died, they could at least refrain from posting the bad bits for a day - if only out of consideration for those still living who care.

Edit - sorry GB, written before seeing yours at bottom of last page.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:35]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:33 - Apr 9 with 1760 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:31 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

I think the objections are as much about the timing as anything BL - barely a couple of hours since his death this morning was announced & people seemingly can't wait to post the negativity.

Like all the rest of us stoopid humans, Prince Philip had his good points & also many far less good points - if people can't bring themselves to post the good bits immediately after someone's died, they could at least refrain from posting the bad bits for a day - if only out of consideration for those still living who care.

Edit - sorry GB, written before seeing yours at bottom of last page.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:35]

I don't feel a particular urge to post a take down on Phil on the day he departs myself, but I don't wish to prevent others from doing so should they feel the need either.

I really don't understand your last point, although recognise it comes from a place of kindness ( a kindness that perhaps not everyone deservers?). After all, it's not like The Queen posts here.

Let's have a truthful assessment of a character - the good and the bad. The day Donald Trump pegs it I don't want to be reading "Yes, shame about all the racism and deaths he helped cause but didn't he have wonderful taste in bathroom taps?!".
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:37]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:37 - Apr 9 with 1754 viewsMookamoo

Apparently we're have 8 days of national mourning.
https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh

What does that mean? Do I have to lower my flag?
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:42 - Apr 9 with 1741 viewsRyorry

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:33 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

I don't feel a particular urge to post a take down on Phil on the day he departs myself, but I don't wish to prevent others from doing so should they feel the need either.

I really don't understand your last point, although recognise it comes from a place of kindness ( a kindness that perhaps not everyone deservers?). After all, it's not like The Queen posts here.

Let's have a truthful assessment of a character - the good and the bad. The day Donald Trump pegs it I don't want to be reading "Yes, shame about all the racism and deaths he helped cause but didn't he have wonderful taste in bathroom taps?!".
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:37]

There are millions of people in the UK who will have met, maybe knew PP in his lifetime - people who worked on the estates, met him socially at equine & other events (incl his sport of carriage driving) - not to mention his charity the DoE Awards, which has helped huge numbers of young people. Who's to say some don't use TWTD?

https://www.dofe.org/do/what/

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:42 - Apr 9 with 1731 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:42 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

There are millions of people in the UK who will have met, maybe knew PP in his lifetime - people who worked on the estates, met him socially at equine & other events (incl his sport of carriage driving) - not to mention his charity the DoE Awards, which has helped huge numbers of young people. Who's to say some don't use TWTD?

Perhaps TWTD isn't the most appropriate forum for those people to carry out their mourning then?

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:48 - Apr 9 with 1710 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:55 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

I'm sorry Rommers, but when someone dies, their character, history and the way they have conducted themselves doesn't disappear.

Of course at one level, an old man (husband, dad and grandad) dies and that is sad. But that doesn't mean he was an angel anymore than anyone else who dies.

We are now to be force fed royalist claptrap for the next few days rewriting his life and frankly, I and many others have no time for it.

People being honest about who he was, how he conducted himself and what he represented isn't being disrespectful. Of course some people will wish to remember him as the royalists portray him, and that is their right.

Same as it is for others to be more balanced in their observations and memories.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 13:57]

I see your point BL. I just don’t like the idea that the RIP threads for some people (if some don’t like them) get overrun with stuff that isn’t nice.

It’s not like he was a mass murdering rapist. He made the occasional stupid comment in is old age. It happens. I don’t like him not dislike him but I just feel uncomfortable that people are quick to jump on these threads. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth you know?

Obviously I’m not aiming this at you - but just speaking in general

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:58 - Apr 9 with 1677 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:48 - Apr 9 by The_Romford_Blue

I see your point BL. I just don’t like the idea that the RIP threads for some people (if some don’t like them) get overrun with stuff that isn’t nice.

It’s not like he was a mass murdering rapist. He made the occasional stupid comment in is old age. It happens. I don’t like him not dislike him but I just feel uncomfortable that people are quick to jump on these threads. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth you know?

Obviously I’m not aiming this at you - but just speaking in general

If we have an unwritten rule that RIP threads can contain no negative facts about a person then it won't be long until someone wants to commemorate a life that the majority of people on here don't believe deserves respect.

it'll be interesting to see if the no negativity rule holds up under those circumstances.

My own personal take on it is people are complex. People have good and bad. Let's have it all out, whoever it is.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:00 - Apr 9 with 1677 viewsim_marcacus

Can this be moved from the football discussion board
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:02 - Apr 9 with 1665 viewsPhilTWTD

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:00 - Apr 9 by im_marcacus

Can this be moved from the football discussion board

Done, just realised that was why the post was reported.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:03 - Apr 9 with 1653 viewsRyorry

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:42 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

Perhaps TWTD isn't the most appropriate forum for those people to carry out their mourning then?

Not sure why you're not getting it.

If some of them are Town fans, why should they refrain from using the forum just because they don't want to see PP disrespected when he'd done a lot for them personally?

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:03 - Apr 9 with 1648 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 15:04]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:06 - Apr 9 with 1638 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:03 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

Not sure why you're not getting it.

If some of them are Town fans, why should they refrain from using the forum just because they don't want to see PP disrespected when he'd done a lot for them personally?

I'm not saying they should refrain from doing anything. They are more than welcome to post their feelings here. But it is a public forum. One of us is arguing for more voices to be heard. the other is trying to shut down conversation.

There is a collection of posters who are attempting to prevent others from posting about what they feel about the situation. I'm not sure why you aren't getting that.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 15:07]

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:17 - Apr 9 with 1626 viewsRyorry

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:06 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

I'm not saying they should refrain from doing anything. They are more than welcome to post their feelings here. But it is a public forum. One of us is arguing for more voices to be heard. the other is trying to shut down conversation.

There is a collection of posters who are attempting to prevent others from posting about what they feel about the situation. I'm not sure why you aren't getting that.

I do get that. But there's normally a sense of decorum & timing which results in people having the restraint not to post negativity till at least (as GB put it) the body of the person who died is cold.

Maybe respect in that particular sense is just an old-fashioned thing. There are obviously huge numbers of people who'd feel pretty sad if it went out of fashion though.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:17 - Apr 9 with 1622 viewsSwansea_Blue

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 14:42 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

DoE is an amazing scheme. Hopefully it will carry on in his honour. It's one of the few useful things the royals have done.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:27 - Apr 9 with 1579 viewsbluelagos

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 15:06 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

Spot on.

If people wish to make negative observations about PP, when do those who object think it is acceptable? Tomorrow? Wait for the funeral? Do please let us know when you feel it is ok.

Personally I have no issues with anyone pointing out the good or the bad as they see it. Only one side of the debate (Monacrchists) seems to be determined to shut the other up.

And for the record, the day I die, if it makes it onto TWTD (which I doubt it will) I couldn't give a flying fck if anyone wishes to point out my many flaws, if they think it justified.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:32 - Apr 9 with 1565 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:27 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

Spot on.

If people wish to make negative observations about PP, when do those who object think it is acceptable? Tomorrow? Wait for the funeral? Do please let us know when you feel it is ok.

Personally I have no issues with anyone pointing out the good or the bad as they see it. Only one side of the debate (Monacrchists) seems to be determined to shut the other up.

And for the record, the day I die, if it makes it onto TWTD (which I doubt it will) I couldn't give a flying fck if anyone wishes to point out my many flaws, if they think it justified.

It clearly isn't a universal rule either, it's a rule based on the opinion of the person complaining about it.

To stretch the point to a ridiculous level (and no doubt someone will complain about me using this as an example) nobody is going to respect a poster who comes on here and wants to only discuss Jimmy Saville's charity work and not the rest of his abhorrent behaviour. And rightly so. Likewise, when Tommy Robinson pegs it are we supposed to reflect on his contribution to the world based solely on him as a husband and father? Heck no.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:34 - Apr 9 with 1567 viewsjeera

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:27 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

Spot on.

Am I allowed to mention you falling off your bike?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:34 - Apr 9 with 1559 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:34 - Apr 9 by jeera

Not after he's dead.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:36 - Apr 9 with 1552 viewsbluelagos

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:34 - Apr 9 by jeera

You could have waited til the scars had gone :-)

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:42 - Apr 9 with 1538 viewsbluelagos

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 16:32 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

It clearly isn't a universal rule either, it's a rule based on the opinion of the person complaining about it.

To stretch the point to a ridiculous level (and no doubt someone will complain about me using this as an example) nobody is going to respect a poster who comes on here and wants to only discuss Jimmy Saville's charity work and not the rest of his abhorrent behaviour. And rightly so. Likewise, when Tommy Robinson pegs it are we supposed to reflect on his contribution to the world based solely on him as a husband and father? Heck no.

Death is a strange one, and to an extent many aspects are taboo to many. But it kind of does happen to us all at some point. Hopefully after we have had a long and enjoyable life.

I wonder if Private Eye will have the balls to print "99 year old man dies" on their next front page?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 18:38 - Apr 9 with 1464 viewsLeaky

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:38 - Apr 9 by footers

I understand your feelings Rommy, I just don't see why I or anoyone else would mourn a racist.

Anyway, that's my last post on the matter.

Good now shut up
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 18:41 - Apr 9 with 1456 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 18:38 - Apr 9 by Leaky

Good now shut up

This is the kind of constructive post Phil must have meant when he told me all contributions should be respectful earlier on!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024