Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously 15:27 - Apr 9 with 1607 viewsGlasgowBlue

played under him.

Whilst you can understand a manager going for players he knows and trusts, they are usual players who were at their peak during their previous employment under the manager.

Will Grigg now isn't the Will Grigg of 3 or 4 years ago. Just as Leadbitter, Stern John and Carlos Edwards weren't the players they were under Keane at Sunderland. Jimmy Bullard? Nowhere near the same vintage as his previous time under Jewell at Wigan.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:29 - Apr 9 with 1381 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, I would like to think part of the new structure involves getting people and processes in place to find our own big thing, not someone elses from yesteryear.

Early days. We may well be linked even if there's no interest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:30 - Apr 9 with 1369 viewshype313

Thought it was all data driven going forward?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:31 - Apr 9 with 1349 viewsPJH

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:30 - Apr 9 by hype313

It is.

They are currently looking at the 'played for Paul Cook' data.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:34 - Apr 9 with 1326 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:30 - Apr 9 by hype313

I doubt it will be for the first few months ... can't imagine things will get up and running that quickly.

I suspect this transfer window coming up will 'as per' and then January onwards will be data driven.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:38 - Apr 9 with 1281 viewsSteve_M

We were linked with Karl Henry every transfer window McCarthy was here, lazy journalism for the most part.

Leadbitter was only 23 when he came here wasn't he? He was excellent until David Norris came back and Keane messed up the midfield to fit him in, he also ended up being the fall guy for Bullard, Andrews and Bowyer.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:39 - Apr 9 with 1271 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I don't understand why we'd take anyone from Wigan. They've hardly shone through this season in this league. We need players better than what we have not below it.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:42 - Apr 9 with 1243 viewsMrTown

Paul Cook talks about trust a lot, and it is natural and understandable that he will be looking at players he can trust.

Cook knows and will want players he can trust, Evans, Grigg, Massey, Jacobs etc - all around 29 years old. With a full pre season I'm sure they would rekindle form etc.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:43 - Apr 9 with 1229 viewshomer_123

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:38 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

We were linked with Karl Henry every transfer window McCarthy was here, lazy journalism for the most part.

Leadbitter was only 23 when he came here wasn't he? He was excellent until David Norris came back and Keane messed up the midfield to fit him in, he also ended up being the fall guy for Bullard, Andrews and Bowyer.

Just to clarify, Leadbitter couldn't take a corner properly to save his life.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:43 - Apr 9 with 1223 viewsdavblue

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:42 - Apr 9 by MrTown

Paul Cook talks about trust a lot, and it is natural and understandable that he will be looking at players he can trust.

Cook knows and will want players he can trust, Evans, Grigg, Massey, Jacobs etc - all around 29 years old. With a full pre season I'm sure they would rekindle form etc.

Grigg was never that good, had a golden season wouldn't touch him now.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:45 - Apr 9 with 1208 viewsdavblue

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:39 - Apr 9 by BlueWorldOrder

I don't understand why we'd take anyone from Wigan. They've hardly shone through this season in this league. We need players better than what we have not below it.

by that token all the top clubs would never buy anyone from a team below them.

Not good logic there.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:46 - Apr 9 with 1207 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:34 - Apr 9 by Kieran_Knows

I doubt it will be for the first few months ... can't imagine things will get up and running that quickly.

I suspect this transfer window coming up will 'as per' and then January onwards will be data driven.

I believe the data analysis has started already ...

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:46 - Apr 9 with 1200 viewsHerbivore

We're not at the stage of getting upset about paper talk are we?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:47 - Apr 9 with 1198 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:43 - Apr 9 by davblue

Nope, only did it in this league years ago and has been pants since.

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:50 - Apr 9 with 1167 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:45 - Apr 9 by davblue

by that token all the top clubs would never buy anyone from a team below them.

Not good logic there.

It's logical. We signed a load of average third division players while in the Champ and dropped like a stone. You can recruit the best prospects from lower teams but if you relying on that as your only method of recruitment you are dead in the water as we painfully discovered.

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:51 - Apr 9 with 1163 viewsParsley

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:43 - Apr 9 by davblue

To be fair, looking at his stats he's had 4 good seasons in league 1 for 3 different clubs. But didn't cut it in the championship and hasn't done anything of note at Sunderland. Could be playing tomorrow? will be a chance to have a look
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:52 - Apr 9 with 1159 viewsSomethingBlue

Those links are inevitable regardless of truth — but I think it's natural for a manager to want one or two lieutenants from times past and Cook will be no different. Rather have Lee Evans than Grigg, but in principle no problem with getting a couple in from the Wigan days.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:52 - Apr 9 with 1142 viewsGlasgowBlue

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:38 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

That's an entirely fair point regarding Leadbitter. But the point still stands. 9 times out of 10, they don't replicate the previous form.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:54 - Apr 9 with 1117 viewsdavblue

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:50 - Apr 9 by BlueWorldOrder

It's logical. We signed a load of average third division players while in the Champ and dropped like a stone. You can recruit the best prospects from lower teams but if you relying on that as your only method of recruitment you are dead in the water as we painfully discovered.

it's not.

Skuse, McGoldrick came from clubs below us at the time maybe Berra as well i can't remember exactly. It really doesn't matter if they are better players than we have who cares where they come from, above, below, same level.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:59 - Apr 9 with 1082 viewsMookamoo

I honestly can't remember the last time one of our players was linked with a previous manager. I haven't seen anything about McCarthy looking at Dozzell or Downes.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:11 - Apr 9 with 1039 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 15:39 - Apr 9 by BlueWorldOrder

Blue. Dont just individuals based on where their clubs are or how the club itself has done.

Mcauley.. we brought in from relegated leicester.. a CB. For example.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:20 - Apr 9 with 1019 viewsmonty_radio

Could be the new 2 + 2 = 5 data

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:24 - Apr 9 with 994 viewschrismakin

Data driven recruitment is a risk but one with high rewards. It makes sense to mix it with some tried and tested players as the whole point of data driven recruitment is finding those players not in the spotlight and because of this there is a chance they may not quite end up how you want them too.. but when they do you are ending up with profits galore on these signings
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 16:28]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:26 - Apr 9 with 980 viewsITFC_Jenx

I think Paul Cook former players fit into different categories:

Moved too high up, won't be tempted: Sam Morsy, Nick Powell, Kieffer Moore

Might be tempted but depends on relegation/convincing them to join: Chey Dunkley, Christian Walton, Josh Windass, Max Power, Michael Jacobs

50/50 whether he still has it: Will Grigg

Likely signings and out of contract: Lee Evans, Gavin Massey

Whoever Cook was targeting before he left Wigan: ?

Whoever the new CEO might recommend: ?

Think a lot has been made about former Cook players as he likes his trusted players and given he wants the specific 4231 high tempo it makes sense for him to sign players that fit that.

Bar Grigg, I think most of the realistic targets still have something to offer. Not fair to write off the Wigan players off the back of such turmoil the season before.
Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:37 - Apr 9 with 942 viewstractordownsouth

He ditched Grigg pretty quickly once Wigan got into The Championship and his recent scoring record suggests he isn't up to it anymore. Obviously we aren't in the Championship but any contracts would be 2-3 years, by which point we'll hopefully be up, so I doubt PC is interested.

Players like Evans and Dunkley are more likely and are better options to boot.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Paul Cook being linked with players who have previously on 16:39 - Apr 9 with 936 viewstractordownsouth

I definitely wouldn't take him now but it's not true to say he was never particularly good. He got 19+ goals 4 times in the space of 6 seasons in League 1.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024