Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town 16:28 - Apr 9 with 2512 viewsBlueWorldOrder

This has been widely rumored since the start and so far all the rumours have been correct. What worry's me is that the view from Bristol City fans is that he's pretty terrible and not up to the job of being CEO. O'Leary talked about an appointment process but has anything actually been advertised? The Bristol press seems sure he is as good as appointed here. Bristol City fans seem overjoyed he's gone and he will ruin us.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:30 - Apr 9 with 2449 viewschrismakin

Dont get to downbeat on their fans opinions.

He was ceo of the year in 2019. Has a very good reputation for turning profits on players and negotiating skills are top notch.

The discontent imo is aimed because he brought in someone they didnt want so now hes being hounded out the club.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:31 - Apr 9 with 2443 viewsgtsb1966

How can you ruin something that's already ruined. Chill.... You worry too much.
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:33 - Apr 9 with 2415 viewsSteve_M

All the rumours have been correct? That's not really true is it though?

I find it odd that Bristol City fans have taken so against him given a) their enormous progress off the pitch in recent years and b) the way their transfer dealings have made them sizeable profits. I just don't see it as a major concern if it is him, there's never been a satisfactory explanation of why he is so bad when the circumstantial evidence does not point that way. And if Bristol City fans think he will ruin us, what do they think has happened to us over the last decade?

Also, given as fans we have little idea of the exact remit of the CEO in the new set up it's worth waiting to see what happens before getting too upset.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:34 - Apr 9 with 2396 viewsHarryB

in my opinion ashton/leary/gamechanger is a lot better than o neil/evans so im prepared to give it a go. he made a good profit on webster as well.
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:35 - Apr 9 with 2394 viewsStokieBlue

Errrrrr... Bristol City fans literally rejoicing and offering animal sacrifice.. by StokieBlue 7 Apr 2021 19:54
Who cares what Bristol City fans think?

Going to be months of over-analysis and appeals to authority until the next season starts.

Let's give them a chance before we start worrying about everything.

SB

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 18:54 - Apr 9 with 2177 viewsTieDyedIn95

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 16:30 - Apr 9 by chrismakin

Dont get to downbeat on their fans opinions.

He was ceo of the year in 2019. Has a very good reputation for turning profits on players and negotiating skills are top notch.

The discontent imo is aimed because he brought in someone they didnt want so now hes being hounded out the club.

CEO of the year, Christ alive, what next, administrative assistant of the decade?

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 18:55 - Apr 9 with 2166 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 18:54 - Apr 9 by TieDyedIn95

CEO of the year, Christ alive, what next, administrative assistant of the decade?

Are you downplaying the role of a CEO? Bit random

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 19:01 - Apr 9 with 2127 viewswiffin1

He was named CEO of the championship in 2019, literally any experienced CEO is going to be a huge upgrade on what we have had. Exciting times ahead!
Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 19:06 - Apr 9 with 2086 viewsITFC_Jenx

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 19:01 - Apr 9 by wiffin1

He was named CEO of the championship in 2019, literally any experienced CEO is going to be a huge upgrade on what we have had. Exciting times ahead!

I feel that many City fans are annoyed that haven't kicked on fr finishing 8th 2 seasons ago.

Also owner looking to step down/secure additional investment.

I'd take 4 straight seasons in the Championship never finished lower than 19th.
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 19:26 - Apr 9 with 1998 viewsrayman_10

To be fair, I think I’ve seen one of the main reasons they dislike him was the appointment of Holden who had no experience and it didn’t go well. But you look at their transfers and they have made some really good business (eg. Buying Webster for 5 mill and selling him on for 20mill after one season). But with Paul Cook’s job seemingly safe, I have no worries. Like others pointed out, he won CEO of the year a year or two ago and Bristol city as a club have evolved as a club a lot in his time. Ashton Gate looks unrecognisable and for a club that’s never been in the prem and only got promoted to the championship in modern times, I think they’ve done very well in putting in the building blocks to make Bristol city a ‘bigger’ club.

Again, as others have said, I think their fans are annoyed that they haven’t kicked on in the last season or two. Maybe they’ve become ‘stagnated’ and feel they need a change and want someone to point the finger at. Sound familiar? We all agree that getting rid of Mick was the right decision and needed to happen. Does that make him a bad manager and one other clubs wouldn’t be grateful to have? No. The new CEO will have my full support... and any appointment Gamechanger will make will have more experience than Clegg, Milne etc ever had in football. Onwards and upwards!

COYB

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 21:43 - Apr 9 with 1584 viewsTieDyedIn95

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 18:55 - Apr 9 by chrismakin

Are you downplaying the role of a CEO? Bit random

Are you broken? Me taking the piss out of a stupid award is not downplaying the role of a CEO. Where did I say that?

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 22:21 - Apr 9 with 1460 viewspistonbroke

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 19:26 - Apr 9 by rayman_10

To be fair, I think I’ve seen one of the main reasons they dislike him was the appointment of Holden who had no experience and it didn’t go well. But you look at their transfers and they have made some really good business (eg. Buying Webster for 5 mill and selling him on for 20mill after one season). But with Paul Cook’s job seemingly safe, I have no worries. Like others pointed out, he won CEO of the year a year or two ago and Bristol city as a club have evolved as a club a lot in his time. Ashton Gate looks unrecognisable and for a club that’s never been in the prem and only got promoted to the championship in modern times, I think they’ve done very well in putting in the building blocks to make Bristol city a ‘bigger’ club.

Again, as others have said, I think their fans are annoyed that they haven’t kicked on in the last season or two. Maybe they’ve become ‘stagnated’ and feel they need a change and want someone to point the finger at. Sound familiar? We all agree that getting rid of Mick was the right decision and needed to happen. Does that make him a bad manager and one other clubs wouldn’t be grateful to have? No. The new CEO will have my full support... and any appointment Gamechanger will make will have more experience than Clegg, Milne etc ever had in football. Onwards and upwards!

Paul cooks job seemingly safe , I don’t think so if we are not top 2 or 3 by Xmas , he will be gone , these people will want instant success , they have bought the club to make a quick profit
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 23:04 - Apr 9 with 1332 viewsOldsmoker

Bristol City had a very good season a few years back 'cos that loaned Tammy Abraham from Chelsea. Since he's gone back to Chelsea the shines been lost.
They got rid of Gary Johnson, the guy who looks like taking Sunderland back up to the Championship, and they've lost their way a bit.
We blame Evans and O'Neill and they seem to blame Ashton.
If Bristol City lose Ashton to ITFC and they don't improve then maybe it wasn't him.
If ITFC continue to suffer a malaise under Ashton then maybe it was that bleedin' gypsy who cursed us 'cos we didn't buy her heather.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 08:54 - Apr 10 with 1066 viewsvanmunt

There are many other things going wrong at Bristol City, very much like us a change of manager has had little effect on the team. Where we seem to be in unison is our questioning of the squad their ire seems to be the CEO.
Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 09:01 - Apr 10 with 1037 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Its probably worth reading this -

"I've been reading this forum from afar, and I've now finally had enough and signed up.

I've been supporting Bristol City for 30 years now, followed home and away, so I'm not a new fan by any means. What has shocked me though over resent years it the complete entitlement of our fans, especially at the moment.

Mark Ashton

For me, the man has a done a decent job at the football club. He is a fantastic negotiator and for the first time that I can remember we have been a force to reckon with when it comes to negotiation etc. We've already heard from several employees within the club that Mark is a decent guy and works extremely really hard behind the scenes. David Lloyd also said as much on OSIB this week. He's obviously highly regarded within footballing circles as he's been giving a role on the EFL board! So, because some of our fanbase wouldn't have a pint with him, wears a suit, he's suddenly slimy and a snake. Honestly, who cares? He's overseen one of the most successful periods in Bristol City's history. He is an articulate and intelligent CEO, but lets hound him out with an absolute pipe dream of getting Scudamore in. Are you having a laugh?

Lets be honest, most people who have jumped on this witch hunt, as that is what it is, haven't got a clue what his role actually is. Fans just see a well groomed man in a suit and have just made their minds up that they don't like him because he, funnily enough, talks like a CEO. Lets be clear for the fans that can't compute this...... MARK ASHTON DOES IDENFIFTY PLAYERS TO SIGN. Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players. They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse. Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind. But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it.

Why do our fans expect so much? I don't know another CEO in the football league that is expected to come out on radio and talk all of the time, its madness."

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211805-our-fans-are-the-problem-not-mark

They're as bonkers as this forum, but not without a scattering of well informed posters.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 09:07 - Apr 10 with 1002 viewsrayman_10

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 22:21 - Apr 9 by pistonbroke

Paul cooks job seemingly safe , I don’t think so if we are not top 2 or 3 by Xmas , he will be gone , these people will want instant success , they have bought the club to make a quick profit

I meant seemingly safe in the sense for the immediate future. When takeovers happen it’s normal that the new owners sack the current and appoint their ‘own’ man. But it seems as though Paul cook was their choice too.

You could well be right though. If things don’t go swimmingly by Christmas they could well pull the trigger. Be interesting to see the new guys breaking point in comparison to ME’s.

COYB

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 917 viewsWD19

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 09:07 - Apr 10 by rayman_10

I meant seemingly safe in the sense for the immediate future. When takeovers happen it’s normal that the new owners sack the current and appoint their ‘own’ man. But it seems as though Paul cook was their choice too.

You could well be right though. If things don’t go swimmingly by Christmas they could well pull the trigger. Be interesting to see the new guys breaking point in comparison to ME’s.

Hopefully we won’t find out for a few years.
Whooooa there Cheltenham on 10:13 - Apr 10 with 878 viewsunstableblue

Mark Ashton to be appointed CEO at Ipswich Town on 09:01 - Apr 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

Its probably worth reading this -

"I've been reading this forum from afar, and I've now finally had enough and signed up.

I've been supporting Bristol City for 30 years now, followed home and away, so I'm not a new fan by any means. What has shocked me though over resent years it the complete entitlement of our fans, especially at the moment.

Mark Ashton

For me, the man has a done a decent job at the football club. He is a fantastic negotiator and for the first time that I can remember we have been a force to reckon with when it comes to negotiation etc. We've already heard from several employees within the club that Mark is a decent guy and works extremely really hard behind the scenes. David Lloyd also said as much on OSIB this week. He's obviously highly regarded within footballing circles as he's been giving a role on the EFL board! So, because some of our fanbase wouldn't have a pint with him, wears a suit, he's suddenly slimy and a snake. Honestly, who cares? He's overseen one of the most successful periods in Bristol City's history. He is an articulate and intelligent CEO, but lets hound him out with an absolute pipe dream of getting Scudamore in. Are you having a laugh?

Lets be honest, most people who have jumped on this witch hunt, as that is what it is, haven't got a clue what his role actually is. Fans just see a well groomed man in a suit and have just made their minds up that they don't like him because he, funnily enough, talks like a CEO. Lets be clear for the fans that can't compute this...... MARK ASHTON DOES IDENFIFTY PLAYERS TO SIGN. Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players. They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse. Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind. But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it.

Why do our fans expect so much? I don't know another CEO in the football league that is expected to come out on radio and talk all of the time, its madness."

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211805-our-fans-are-the-problem-not-mark

They're as bonkers as this forum, but not without a scattering of well informed posters.

I also read that post on the Bristol City forum and was buoyed by it. I also considered posting here to counter posts I’d made questioning Ashton credentials.

But that is literally one of the only positive posts towards Ashton tenure on that board, out of literally 100s of negatives. So it had to be read in that context.

I like your avatar!!!

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024