Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy 08:43 - Apr 10 with 2379 viewsbluelagos

Just got asked by a poster if my view of P.P. would change if I aware of his introducing gift aid.

Couple of points. Firstly, yeah, I hadn't known that and that does sound like a good thing that benefited lots of charities. On a human level that sounds like a very good thing he achieved.

But that doesn't change his role, within an institution of privilege and what it represents. I won't be dothing my cap to him. My dislike of the royals is based on what they represent, not who they are.

And I stand by my point that people should be able to criticise his conduct if they chose. Why ever not?

The small bit on TV I watched on him was borderline stomach churning, making him out to be some super human hero. People of course are welcome to believe that propoganda if they chose. Other's are welcome to challenge it.

Seems to me quite a few monarchists are srruggling with the fact that an awful lot of people recognise the coverage for a 99 year old man is utterly ridiculous.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:01]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:10 - Apr 10 with 1614 viewsstantheman

I would classify myself a monarchist but I thought the coverage was a tad over the top considering most of it was just repeating the same thing over and over again. Yes some of it was informative but you had to wade through hours of it to get to something you didn't already know about him.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:28 - Apr 10 with 1579 viewsvapour_trail

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:10 - Apr 10 by stantheman

I would classify myself a monarchist but I thought the coverage was a tad over the top considering most of it was just repeating the same thing over and over again. Yes some of it was informative but you had to wade through hours of it to get to something you didn't already know about him.

6 music are still churning out mood music this morning. Are the bbc contracted to do this. Surely they realise most of the country doesn’t give a sh1t?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:29 - Apr 10 with 1556 viewsmikeybloo88

I'm a monarchist and I don't believe the Royals should be above fair criticism....but spouting that criticism as the man's body is still warm was classless and distasteful. I guess a 100 year old man like him has lived through a lot of changing times and attitudes, even quite probably changing his own views or re-evaluating some of his own past as he grew older, something some people might consider before being so keen on the day of his death to slap various damning labels on him.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:32 - Apr 10 with 1553 viewstownblue

"And I stand by my point that people should be able to criticise his conduct if they chose. Why ever not?"

I don't think people have an issue with this generally. It's just when it's the first comment people make when someone has died it's a bit unnecessary and distasteful.

I'm no fan of the royals, but I also don't feel the need to make that the key point when people are paying their respects.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:32 - Apr 10 with 1549 viewsFunge

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:28 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

6 music are still churning out mood music this morning. Are the bbc contracted to do this. Surely they realise most of the country doesn’t give a sh1t?

Indeed.

I've no particular axe to grind with the man, but the BBC's coverage is a nonsense.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:38 - Apr 10 with 1514 viewsvapour_trail

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:32 - Apr 10 by Funge

Indeed.

I've no particular axe to grind with the man, but the BBC's coverage is a nonsense.

When I get up in a Saturday morning, I need shaking out of my fog, not having it played back to me.

That said, just switched it back on and they’re playing a cover of vapour trail.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:42 - Apr 10 with 1505 viewstiptreeblue

I totally agree with you on most of your reply. There was definitely too much coverage last night. And of course everybody has the right to criticize others.

But to say it`s all propaganda proves that whatever is said, you will not believe unless it is something you agree with.

He helped over eight million young people get the Duke of Edinburgh awards, which helped people all over the world with self confidence and jobs. THAT IS NOT PROPAGANDA. IT HAPPENED

He was head of an awful lot of charities raising more millions of pounds. THAT IS NOT PROPAGANDA. IT HAPPENED.

These are just three things he did, which NONE of us will ever achieve in our lifetime.

But you still loathe him because of the family he was part of.

No matter what else is said about him, whether true or false. He deserves our respect for those alone. Not some jumped up little twerp trying to dishonour him.

That is all I am going to say about it
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:45 - Apr 10 with 1472 viewsdickie

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:42 - Apr 10 by tiptreeblue

I totally agree with you on most of your reply. There was definitely too much coverage last night. And of course everybody has the right to criticize others.

But to say it`s all propaganda proves that whatever is said, you will not believe unless it is something you agree with.

He helped over eight million young people get the Duke of Edinburgh awards, which helped people all over the world with self confidence and jobs. THAT IS NOT PROPAGANDA. IT HAPPENED

He was head of an awful lot of charities raising more millions of pounds. THAT IS NOT PROPAGANDA. IT HAPPENED.

These are just three things he did, which NONE of us will ever achieve in our lifetime.

No matter what else is said about him, whether true or false. He deserves our respect for those alone. Not some jumped up little twerp trying to dishonour him.

"But that doesn't change his role, within an institution of privilege and what it represents. I won't be dothing my cap to him. My dislike of the royals is based on what they represent, not who they are."
Login to get fewer ads

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:46 - Apr 10 with 1460 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wow a busier c#nt than Harry from Bath! That's about 210 people he personally helped every day of his life.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:47 - Apr 10 with 1460 viewsbluelagos

Where have I said I loathe him? I dislike the institution of the monarchy. A lot.

I dislike some of the people in there, some I have no issue with.

I think he should be remembered in a balanced way, not a sycophantic rewriting of who he was / what he did.

Seems to me you are reading a lot more into my comments than I have made.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:02]

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:47 - Apr 10 with 1465 viewsvapour_trail

I’ve worked in the charity sector for twenty years.

Royal patronage genuinely makes no difference. None at all. And demands no commitment. It’s a name on a letterhead, and a waste of the print costs.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:47 - Apr 10 with 1463 viewsRadlett_blue

The idea that Gift Aid was almost entirely down to the Duke is yet another example of the culture of fawning sycophancy that surrounds the Royals. He was a patron of Charities Aid foundation, but he is a patron of so many charities & other organisations that I suggest he would do well to have spent 15 minutes a year on each of them.
He was also a patron of the World Wildlife Fund, but that didn't stop him from blasting at least 30,000 birds and other near harmless creatures into oblivion during his life.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:48 - Apr 10 with 1467 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

This I think is totally wrong at a time when we are effectively in lockdown and an awful lot of people turn to the TV and radio for comfort, company and to lift their spirts, 8 days of this dross is not what we should be doing to the nation right now (or any time really).

It’s soul destroying at a very vulnerable time for a lot of people.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:49 - Apr 10 with 1442 viewsvapour_trail

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:48 - Apr 10 by blueblueburleymcgrew

This I think is totally wrong at a time when we are effectively in lockdown and an awful lot of people turn to the TV and radio for comfort, company and to lift their spirts, 8 days of this dross is not what we should be doing to the nation right now (or any time really).

Sorry, 8 days??? You’re joking, right?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:50 - Apr 10 with 1440 viewsRadlett_blue

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:48 - Apr 10 by blueblueburleymcgrew

The BBC also saw fit to cancel coverage of the England - France women's football international.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:53 - Apr 10 with 1428 viewsbluelagos

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:49 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

Sorry, 8 days??? You’re joking, right?

It's eight days of national mourning. He said he didnt want a fuss, christ knows what it'd have been like otherwise.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 1417 viewsvapour_trail

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:53 - Apr 10 by bluelagos

It's eight days of national mourning. He said he didnt want a fuss, christ knows what it'd have been like otherwise.

National mourning? Wtf does that mean? Who decides that’s a thing.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:57 - Apr 10 with 1413 viewslowhouseblue

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:55 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

National mourning? Wtf does that mean? Who decides that’s a thing.

it means flags at half mast and books of remembrance, not tv and radio silence.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 1398 viewsm14_blue

Yeah, there are really strict protocols that all public bodies have to follow in these circumstances, known as Operation Forth Bridge.

I suspect the BBC have little choice but to do what they’re doing.

Doesn’t make it any less ridiculous of course.
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:06 - Apr 10 with 1328 viewsbluelagos

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:57 - Apr 10 by lowhouseblue

it means flags at half mast and books of remembrance, not tv and radio silence.

Bbc Radio is definitely still on somber music, no upbeat stuff at all.

Whether that is until the mourning ends, guess we will find out.

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:20 - Apr 10 with 1283 viewsMullet

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:47 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

I’ve worked in the charity sector for twenty years.

Royal patronage genuinely makes no difference. None at all. And demands no commitment. It’s a name on a letterhead, and a waste of the print costs.

Quite. We could do far more for people by dismantling the royals and the money wasted upon them and their hangers on.

It is essentially PR and propaganda for the institution as the monarchists so helpfully demonstrate. It was telling too that radio 4 was almost entirely landed gentry massaging the legacy of the bloke with vague platitudes.

Whilst it would be distasteful to rip apart anyone yesterday, this mss was manufactured fawning on loop proves what a farce they are in this day and age.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:27 - Apr 10 with 1266 viewsbluelagos

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:20 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Quite. We could do far more for people by dismantling the royals and the money wasted upon them and their hangers on.

It is essentially PR and propaganda for the institution as the monarchists so helpfully demonstrate. It was telling too that radio 4 was almost entirely landed gentry massaging the legacy of the bloke with vague platitudes.

Whilst it would be distasteful to rip apart anyone yesterday, this mss was manufactured fawning on loop proves what a farce they are in this day and age.

I haven't watched much, but one commentator stated how hard he worked giving as an example how PP had been to Australia 21 times.

I wish I'd worked that hard :-)

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:31 - Apr 10 with 1254 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:06 - Apr 10 by bluelagos

Bbc Radio is definitely still on somber music, no upbeat stuff at all.

Whether that is until the mourning ends, guess we will find out.

Try Smooth Radio. You'll save yourself an aneurism.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:34 - Apr 10 with 1224 viewsMeadowlark

I didn't really want to join in on this, but your two main "IT HAPPENED" points that prove it is not propaganda, actually prove that it is.

He did not "personally" help 8 million people.
He was not "head" of any charities. Figurehead, maybe.

I'm sure he was a very nice chap though..
Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 10:36 - Apr 10 with 1202 viewsnoggin

Fao Tiptree Blue. Prince Phillip's legacy on 09:29 - Apr 10 by mikeybloo88

I'm a monarchist and I don't believe the Royals should be above fair criticism....but spouting that criticism as the man's body is still warm was classless and distasteful. I guess a 100 year old man like him has lived through a lot of changing times and attitudes, even quite probably changing his own views or re-evaluating some of his own past as he grew older, something some people might consider before being so keen on the day of his death to slap various damning labels on him.

Critics might say, it was his type that promoted a lot of those outdated views.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024