Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook 22:43 - Apr 10 with 1767 viewsPique

For what it’s worth, my view on what’s going on - take it or leave it...

Cook genuinely wanted to work for Marcus Evans. He wanted time, a long-ish contract and zero interference from Directors of Football, Sporting Directors or anyone else he perceived might overstep the mark into his territory. He knew there wouldn’t be much of a budget, but he’d get the other stuff, which he valued more, and with a fairly decent squad by League One standards (or so he thought) already in place and lots of out of contract bargains to pick up in the summer due to COVID, he was confident this was the right job. So he turned down shorter contracts in the Championship and joined us.

Did he know a possible takeover was in the works? Of course he did, he’d have to have been a complete idiot not to. But much of the detail at that point was speculation, often on social media and forums that he will probably have had little engagement with. And there were equally other sources saying the deal was either dead or going nowhere. So perhaps he went to Evans for clarity, and was told that these kinds of discussions often happen, or that it was an attempt to get more investment into the club, or that Evans would still be playing a significant role, or some kind of line like that.

I suspect the speed with which it all happened took him by surprise (as it did a lot of people). Maybe he feels let down by Evans, maybe he doesn’t. But for now, he’s getting on with the job and waiting to see what happens. His initial chat with O’Leary sounds like it was positive, but the real test will be the CEO appointment and what that means for Cook and his role. He’s probably avoiding the press conferences because he doesn’t want to be drawn on any of it just yet, and because he doesn’t feel like he has all the information he needs at this point. The fact that a tumultuous week and another disappointing result gave him reasonable excuses to skip them is a bonus for him.

I really don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. I don’t think he’s about to walk, and I’m sure in many ways he’s very excited by the position he’s ended up in, particularly the prospect of having money to spend next year.

But it will all hinge on the CEO appointment, I think.
Paul Cook on 22:45 - Apr 10 with 1711 viewsJ2BLUE

This definitely needed a new thread.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Cook on 22:47 - Apr 10 with 1671 viewsbazza

Paul Cook on 22:45 - Apr 10 by J2BLUE

This definitely needed a new thread.

😂😂
Paul Cook on 23:15 - Apr 10 with 1516 viewsKeaneish

“What’s going on”, what is going on? Nothing as far as I can see. The role of a CEO is to report to the board of directors and to makes sure their expectations are being met, why is this being blown up as an issue?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Paul Cook on 23:27 - Apr 10 with 1433 viewsGarv

I agree on the whole.

If he didn't know the takeover was happening, or at least likely to happen, he's been hugely naive.

If he thought he had a decent league squad club, I'd also be worried. I'm sure he knew it was poor, just like Lambert did.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 9:02]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Paul Cook on 05:55 - Apr 11 with 1149 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Paul Cook on 23:27 - Apr 10 by Garv

I agree on the whole.

If he didn't know the takeover was happening, or at least likely to happen, he's been hugely naive.

If he thought he had a decent league squad club, I'd also be worried. I'm sure he knew it was poor, just like Lambert did.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 9:02]

He would certainly be aware of the fact that it could happen so would have been prepared for that possible eventuality.
Paul Cook on 07:15 - Apr 11 with 971 viewsgordon

Think it's the case that Cook was just told by Evans that am additional investor was coming on board.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024