Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Came across this again the other day. 09:59 - Apr 11 with 797 viewsRegencyBlue

It’s a long read but does give an insight into just why we are where we are today!

http://turnstileblues.co.uk/blog.aspx?nid=1112

We all need to calm down a bit for now. It’s going to take a while to put right the damage Evans wreaked here over the last fourteen years and it won’t happen overnight, whoever the manager/CEO are.

It certainly will not happen whilst we are reliant on the current squad, most of whom are not fit to wear the shirt!
Came across this again the other day. on 10:48 - Apr 11 with 692 viewsRIPbobby

Oh my god that sounds horrendous. It does actually look like we have to go bust and start again to fix everything. I cannot see the American investors helping the infrastructure of the club. Maybe I should have bought some shares bac in the day.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 10:48]
Came across this again the other day. on 10:52 - Apr 11 with 676 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I reread that the other week. It’s quite stark in the cost-cutting and half-arsed approach that ran through Evans’ time here. Spending more on infrastructure rather than an ever-changing list of players works surely have us in a better position than we are in now.

I did a 10 Years of Evans piece a bit after that for TB, think that needs an update for the final chapter.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Came across this again the other day. on 11:17 - Apr 11 with 636 viewsRIPbobby

Came across this again the other day. on 10:52 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

Yes, I reread that the other week. It’s quite stark in the cost-cutting and half-arsed approach that ran through Evans’ time here. Spending more on infrastructure rather than an ever-changing list of players works surely have us in a better position than we are in now.

I did a 10 Years of Evans piece a bit after that for TB, think that needs an update for the final chapter.

It actually backs up what the top brass said all the time "we may not pay the highest transfer fees, but are competitive on wages". Unfortunately this season really does hit home that a motivated and hard working team will often turn over a team with more ability. I am not in the "whole squad is awful" boat. I think we have many very talented players, I just think our midfield is full of the same type of player. I would look to get in players who want to play for the team/club. Perhaps even not go for neccesasrily the best player. Hence I do like the idea of recruiting players on stats. I have said many years ago that football will soon have super athletes who can run all day and not have that much ability. McCarthy touched on this be bringing in big players... Worked with Mings, but not with Nouble.

Hopefully we turn back into the club we once were, this season is over realistically. It would actually be harmful to us if we made the playoffs and went up this year. We need to start again next season and nurture the team for promotion.

Tough times.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 11:19]
Came across this again the other day. on 08:32 - Apr 12 with 450 viewsRegencyBlue

Came across this again the other day. on 10:52 - Apr 11 by Steve_M

Spending on infrastructure wasn’t ever in the Evans plan as far as I can see. He was here for a quick hit, he thought he could make money out of us by a quick promotion to the Premiership with minimal outlay. Once that idea blew up spectacularly in his face there wasn’t a plan B. The club, and the supporters, have paid a hell of a price for that in 14 wasted years!

To be fair our new owners are obviously also looking to make money from the club but appear far more professional than Evans ever did. They are bringing in football people to run and oversee the club which in itself is a huge step forward. One of Evans many mistakes was that he thought he could run the club himself, with no background in football whatsoever. That’s turned out well!
Came across this again the other day. on 09:04 - Apr 12 with 378 viewsBluespeed225

This was one of the most damming/depressing reads I remember. I just read it again to remind me that, although our ‘new start’ is not yet firing as we would all like, back then there were things happening that verge on criminal in relation to what it was doing to our Club. Some of those tales are beyond comprehension in modern football. We were lied to on a daily basis. Wherever this goes from now on, I’d like to think at least our new owners will at least drag us into the Footballing 21st Century.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024