Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? 11:49 - Apr 11 with 2355 viewsclive_baker

If you’re being generous and trying to find a role for as many as possible I get to this:

GK: ?
LB: Nydam
RB: KVY
CB: Nsiala
CB: ?
CM: Downes
CM: ?
CM: Bishop
W: ?
W: ?
F: ?

Others retained: Dozzell, Holy, Norwood, Woolfenden, Dobra, El Miz, Baggott, Lankester, Nolan.

Out: Chambers, Wilson, Cornell, Skuse, Huws, Edwards, Jackson, Judge, Sears, Hawkins, Drinan, Kenlock, Ward.

I think that would leave the basis of a potentially strong squad, lots of youth and potential and hopefully free up a significant amount of budget to reinvest in some senior signings. It would require signing at least:

1 x GK
1 x LB
1 x RB
1 x CB
1 x CM
2 x Winger
1 x Forward

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:54 - Apr 11 with 2116 viewsArnieM

I doubt Downes will be here next season.

Cook will have to get in the spine of the team. Starting with a new Gk....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:54 - Apr 11 with 2113 viewsFixed_It

Pretty much agree with that - but we would/will need to sign some leaders in the vacant positions.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:55 - Apr 11 with 2113 viewsearlsgreenblue

Not far off mine as well, only Norwood & Holy from the retained, minus Bishop from the other, too light weight.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:56 - Apr 11 with 2105 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes wanted to leave last summer. He's not getting any younger and another year down here won't do him any good.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:00 - Apr 11 with 2084 viewsclive_baker

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:54 - Apr 11 by Fixed_It

Pretty much agree with that - but we would/will need to sign some leaders in the vacant positions.

Absolutely right, I think character is as important as ability when it comes to the additions. Especially as I’m proposing moving Chambers / Ward / Judge on who are the few that actually appear to have any b0llocks between them.

I would give Downes the armband and sign some real leaders right through the spine at keeper, centre back, CM and CF.

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:08 - Apr 11 with 2070 viewsPhilTWTD

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 11:56 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

Downes wanted to leave last summer. He's not getting any younger and another year down here won't do him any good.

I think it was a bit more complicated than that. I don't think he wanted leave per se, he was keen to take up an opportunity with a Premier League club when it emerged. Will be interesting to see what interest there is in him this summer given his less than overwhelming season.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:10 - Apr 11 with 2040 viewsAce_High1

get Wolf, El Miz and Jack in there and then sign a new GK, CB (Nsiala not good enough), LW and Striker.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:14 - Apr 11 with 2004 viewsSomethingBlue

A fair enough retained list, Nydam on yesterday's evidence seems to have bounced back well from an awful couple of years so let's see what he can do. Norwood can clearly score goals at this level but if he can't stay fit then let him go, we need reliable and durable players we've had far too few of them for years. Would try and find a role around the place for Chambers, while Nolan is one of the very many I'd feel totally unsentimental about binning.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:15 - Apr 11 with 1989 viewsJ2BLUE

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:08 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

I think it was a bit more complicated than that. I don't think he wanted leave per se, he was keen to take up an opportunity with a Premier League club when it emerged. Will be interesting to see what interest there is in him this summer given his less than overwhelming season.

He handed in a transfer request! I know what you're saying. He didn't go looking for offers but still, he wanted out.

Truly impaired.

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:17 - Apr 11 with 1962 viewsN2_Blue

We need at least 2 forwards in my opinion.

I would move on Jackson and Drinan definitely and potentially one of even Hawkins/Norwood as to injury prone to hold on to both.

I think Norwood is worth keeping at this level if he shows he wants to get himself fit and his attitude changes...if no sign of that get rid.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:19 - Apr 11 with 1954 viewstractorboy1978

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:15 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

He handed in a transfer request! I know what you're saying. He didn't go looking for offers but still, he wanted out.

Can you see a club offering more than we rejected this summer? He's barely played and we are even less likely to let him go on the cheap with new owners.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:20 - Apr 11 with 1938 viewsFixed_It

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:10 - Apr 11 by Ace_High1

get Wolf, El Miz and Jack in there and then sign a new GK, CB (Nsiala not good enough), LW and Striker.

Nsiala has proved himself to be perfectly adequate given a run of games - at least at this level.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:33 - Apr 11 with 1858 viewsPhilTWTD

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:15 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

I think that was more down to his agent than him, to be honest. He was badly advised. He was keen to take up the Premier League offer, but not desperate to leave. Palace didn't offer anything like enough to tempt Town.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:38 - Apr 11 with 1828 viewsJ2BLUE

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:33 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

I think that was more down to his agent than him, to be honest. He was badly advised. He was keen to take up the Premier League offer, but not desperate to leave. Palace didn't offer anything like enough to tempt Town.

Will be interesting to see if Palace come back and if they do, with what sort of offer. Can't see them offering any more but will new owners think it's worth cashing in to put towards a striker and a midfielder who creates?

Truly impaired.

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:50 - Apr 11 with 1771 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I think Kenlock is fine as a squad player, and Chambers would be fine as a back up. I would take up the option on Jackson if for no other reading than to try and get some cash for him.

Poll: Our final position

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:51 - Apr 11 with 1769 viewsPhilTWTD

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:38 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

Will be interesting to see if Palace come back and if they do, with what sort of offer. Can't see them offering any more but will new owners think it's worth cashing in to put towards a striker and a midfielder who creates?

Certainly think it's possible there could be some wheeling and dealing, however, you'd think Cook would want to keep hold of Downes of everyone in the squad. Palace are unlikely to offer as much as they did last summer I would guess, given the season he's had.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:54 - Apr 11 with 1739 viewsHarryB

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:51 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

Certainly think it's possible there could be some wheeling and dealing, however, you'd think Cook would want to keep hold of Downes of everyone in the squad. Palace are unlikely to offer as much as they did last summer I would guess, given the season he's had.

phil do you get the sense that these new owners will spend a bit this season on a new front 3?
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:55 - Apr 11 with 1731 viewssaffers12

Fully agree with that
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:57 - Apr 11 with 1707 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not sure I would get rid of Wilson. Even if we get another CB in next season he would still be s decent option in event of injuries and suspensions.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:59 - Apr 11 with 1699 viewsPhilTWTD

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:54 - Apr 11 by HarryB

phil do you get the sense that these new owners will spend a bit this season on a new front 3?

They'll spend the money on the areas the manager identifies as the areas where spending is needed, and that is pretty evidently where we're most lacking at present.
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 13:12 - Apr 11 with 1597 viewsclive_baker

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:57 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

Not sure I would get rid of Wilson. Even if we get another CB in next season he would still be s decent option in event of injuries and suspensions.

Wilson has been OK don’t get me wrong, but I’m working on the assumption we bring in a senior CB, a proper leader to partner Toto. I think our defence is actually OK, especially if we can get KVY fit again and I would love to see Nydam at left back. He’s really neat and tidy on the ball and can’t help but think back to that Palace performance. I think Cook will want defenders who are a little better on the ball, which those full backs would be. That would leave Woolfenden as a back up centre half / competing with Toto, with Baggott emerging, so not sure there would be a role for Wilson.

Looking at the players moving on per my list, there has to be £2m+ per annum of wages amongst that lot. I really think we need to throw some cash at the spine of our side.

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 13:22 - Apr 11 with 1552 viewsclive_baker

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 12:51 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

Keeping Downes would be the best signing we can make this summer. He’s had a stop start season due to injury, and within a complete circus of a football club but we shouldn’t forget how good a player he is. We’re a different side entirely with him in it, he offers that energy and protection to the back 4 like nobody else, with the quality on the ball when he has it. We’re lucky to have him and if we can get 1 more season out of him it really could be the difference. I don’t think clubs will be queuing up for him although no doubt there will be some interest. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him to stay here, play 40+ games as captain and he’ll still at 22/23 have plenty of options thereafter.

Not to sympathise with Lambert as he was a disaster, but I do wonder what our season might’ve looked like with a fit KVY, Downes & Norwood. KVY is like 2 signings as it would’ve released Chambers into the middle, when at such a critical time we relied on a raw Woolfy / McGuinness partnership. We lost our way relying on McGavin centrally, who bless him isn’t in the same league as Downes, and asking so much of Dozzell there too. And we’ve all seen what a better side we look with Norwood. Those 3 fit under Cook could make for an exciting next season.

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 13:47 - Apr 11 with 1434 viewsWestover

If KVY and Nydam were our two full backs we would need to have two very good replacements with their injury history, how many games have they played in the last few years?
Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 13:53 - Apr 11 with 1412 viewsKieran_Knows

Whilst Nsiala has had a slight turn around in form, id be surprised if we was going to hang our hat on him being a starter for next season.

As I said on another thread, I think we need;

GK
RB
LB
CB x2
CM
CAM
Wingers x2
Strikers x2

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 14:12 - Apr 11 with 1338 viewsITFC_Jenx

Just looking at the squad, where do you even start for next season? on 13:47 - Apr 11 by Westover

If KVY and Nydam were our two full backs we would need to have two very good replacements with their injury history, how many games have they played in the last few years?

Nydam stated in his interview that he sees himself as a midfielder. I think he'd work well as an option in the 2 screening midfielders for the 4231.

Lb has to come in with Kenlock as back up. Connor Ogilvie at Gillingham is out of contract.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024