Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Genesis fans here? 00:55 - Apr 12 with 2115 viewsBugs

Live at this moment from someplace in the USA if your interested in tribute bands.

[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 1:02]
Any Genesis fans here? on 09:01 - Apr 12 with 2021 viewsrfretwell

Seen them several times live in the early 70s with the legendary Peter Gabriel on vocals and dramatics. Brilliant band - take a listen to Trespass and Foxtrot - great albums from that period. I always thought they played the iconic Weeley Festival but no recordings exist. What a mad time that was!
Any Genesis fans here? on 09:19 - Apr 12 with 1992 viewsOldsmoker

Any Genesis fans here? on 09:01 - Apr 12 by rfretwell

Seen them several times live in the early 70s with the legendary Peter Gabriel on vocals and dramatics. Brilliant band - take a listen to Trespass and Foxtrot - great albums from that period. I always thought they played the iconic Weeley Festival but no recordings exist. What a mad time that was!

I was at Weeley. They didn't play.
They did play an Autumn term gig at Ipswich Civic College for £400.
They were booked by the previous Ents committee in April and Phil Collins remarked that they were now charging £600.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:14 - Apr 12 with 1959 viewsstantheman

Any Genesis fans here? on 09:19 - Apr 12 by Oldsmoker

They were booked by the previous Ents committee in April and Phil Collins remarked that they were now charging £600.

I was in Civic College that night taking an evening course and managed to walk into the hall to see some of their performance. Loved that era of Genesis.
Any Genesis fans here? on 10:19 - Apr 12 with 1948 viewsfloridablue

I went with some mates to see Genesis in London perform their 'Lamb on Broadway' tour. I've had to google the year and venue and I was wrong on both but I was definitely there.. I think! I would love to see Collins again if he ever toured Florida.
Any Genesis fans here? on 10:24 - Apr 12 with 1929 viewsChurchman

I am! Never saw them live though, sadly.

One of my first and still favourite albums is A Trick of the Tail. It’s a total masterpiece. Even the album cover is worth a salute. The other albums are great too - honourable mentions for Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb and Genesis Genesis. Gabriel was nuts but brilliant. Collins: better drummer than vocalist (not that I know anything about music) but still excellent
Any Genesis fans here? on 10:26 - Apr 12 with 1921 viewsMeadowlark

"You're."

I would have loved to have seen the early Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett, but unfortunately missed them. I've seen Gabriel solo shows - one time featuring Kate Bush!
Nursery Cryme was my favourite for years!
Any Genesis fans here? on 10:32 - Apr 12 with 1908 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:26 - Apr 12 by Meadowlark

"You're."

I would have loved to have seen the early Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett, but unfortunately missed them. I've seen Gabriel solo shows - one time featuring Kate Bush!

My favourite Genesis period was after Gabriel had left but with Steve Hackett still in the band.

Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are wonderful albums.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:36 - Apr 12 with 1905 viewslongtimefan

I saw them post Gabriel at one of the 4 nights they did at Wembley Stadium in July 1987. That was great but would have loved to have seen them with Gabriel. Just found out that a complete concert from that set of shows is on YouTube, apparently the first use of HD for one in this country.
Login to get fewer ads

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:41 - Apr 12 with 1899 viewsWeWereZombies

Any Genesis fans here? on 09:19 - Apr 12 by Oldsmoker

Yes, can confirm that they didn't play at Weeley (although they may have been booked and unable to get transport in or something like that). The Civic College gig was good, supported by Caravan and A Band Called O. One of the things I remember about that night was three or four lads doing the getting in for free by climbing in through the narrow window in the Gents. One caught his ankle on the catch and swung around upside down bumping his head on a washbasin before falling on the floor. Dusted himself off and walked on briskly to catch up with his mates. Suffolk boys, eh?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:43 - Apr 12 with 1890 viewsRadlett_blue

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:26 - Apr 12 by Meadowlark

"You're."

I know Tony Phillips's brother quite well. Another Old Carthusian, he became an investment banker. Tony Phillips was a player and regular umpire for Send Occasionals Cricket Club.
https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Anthony-Phillips-Biography-s255.html

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Any Genesis fans here? on 11:08 - Apr 12 with 1873 viewsmikeybloo88

Big 70s Genesis fan, forget it after Hackett left, that wasn't true Genesis although And then there were three isn't bad... Selling England just pips Foxtrot as best album. I still go to see Hackett every tour to hear all the classics and it's a magnificent evening, hopefully seeing him again in Nottingham in October.
Any Genesis fans here? on 00:13 - Apr 13 with 1788 viewswoodbridge_blue

Seen them several times, initially at The Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park in January 1977 on the Wind and Wuthering tour. Hackett was still with them but left before the next album.

Anyone on here see them at the Gaumont in April 1980?
Any Genesis fans here? on 00:32 - Apr 13 with 1777 viewsronnyd

Certainly up there with Floyd as my top two. Have seen them a number of times. For me, the leaving of Gabriel, then Hackett was the start of the decline of my interest. Then There Were Three was quite a good album but after that it got more commercial.
Any Genesis fans here? on 07:28 - Apr 13 with 1737 viewsChurchman

Any Genesis fans here? on 00:32 - Apr 13 by ronnyd

Certainly up there with Floyd as my top two. Have seen them a number of times. For me, the leaving of Gabriel, then Hackett was the start of the decline of my interest. Then There Were Three was quite a good album but after that it got more commercial.

I think that’s a fair summary. The earlier albums are complete entities that work best hearing them completely through. Later albums have good tracks, even good sides, but are patchy, simpler, shorter tracks.

And Then There Were Three came out late 70s and was the first album I was disappointed with. It was ok, just not quite up there.

Thinking of Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon was also one of the first albums I bought and is classic for having to be heard all the way through. Still a brilliant album.
Any Genesis fans here? on 08:15 - Apr 13 with 1722 viewsOldsmoker

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:41 - Apr 12 by WeWereZombies

Yes, can confirm that they didn't play at Weeley (although they may have been booked and unable to get transport in or something like that). The Civic College gig was good, supported by Caravan and A Band Called O. One of the things I remember about that night was three or four lads doing the getting in for free by climbing in through the narrow window in the Gents. One caught his ankle on the catch and swung around upside down bumping his head on a washbasin before falling on the floor. Dusted himself off and walked on briskly to catch up with his mates. Suffolk boys, eh?

I went to every gig at the Civic College that year.
I can't remember who was running Ents but the Fire Service rumbled that an extra 200 tickets over the permitted capacity were getting sold at every gig.
One gig, I thought it was the Genesis one, the Fire service insisted all the fire exit doors were opened on the L/H side facing the stage which allowed masses of people to watch the gig for free.
FYIW - £4 a ticket to see Genesis with Gabriel fronting.

Any Genesis fans here? on 08:30 - Apr 13 with 1688 viewsWeWereZombies

Any Genesis fans here? on 08:15 - Apr 13 by Oldsmoker

I went to every gig at the Civic College that year.
I can't remember who was running Ents but the Fire Service rumbled that an extra 200 tickets over the permitted capacity were getting sold at every gig.
One gig, I thought it was the Genesis one, the Fire service insisted all the fire exit doors were opened on the L/H side facing the stage which allowed masses of people to watch the gig for free.
FYIW - £4 a ticket to see Genesis with Gabriel fronting.

Four quid! Was it really that pricey? I can't imagine me paying that much, I only paid a quid to Zep at the Baths Hall the previous year, and sixty pee to see Argent, Man, Skid Row (with a very young Gary Moore) and Hot Cottage a few months later.

I managed to see Genesis four times in 1972, three times somewhat inadvertently. They were way down the bill at the Great Western Festival, Bardney (Lincoln) in May and made little impact. They were my main reason for going to the Pier Pavilion in Felixstowe that summer when they headlined and they were magnificent with Gabriel prowling along the line of a few hundred spectators sitting cross legged in a semi circle - he kept poking the mike stand at us in his efforts to get reactions. Then the Melody Maker poll winners concert at the Oval where they were quite good and finally the Civic College where my reason for going was Caravan (who I more or less missed in my efforts to chat up a girl right in front of her Frank Zappa lookalike boyfriend whilst a few friends kept passing by telling me how out of my depth I was but I think she was amused by it all.)
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 8:31]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Any Genesis fans here? on 08:34 - Apr 13 with 1682 viewsOldsmoker

Any Genesis fans here? on 08:30 - Apr 13 by WeWereZombies

Four quid! Was it really that pricey? I can't imagine me paying that much, I only paid a quid to Zep at the Baths Hall the previous year, and sixty pee to see Argent, Man, Skid Row (with a very young Gary Moore) and Hot Cottage a few months later.

I managed to see Genesis four times in 1972, three times somewhat inadvertently. They were way down the bill at the Great Western Festival, Bardney (Lincoln) in May and made little impact. They were my main reason for going to the Pier Pavilion in Felixstowe that summer when they headlined and they were magnificent with Gabriel prowling along the line of a few hundred spectators sitting cross legged in a semi circle - he kept poking the mike stand at us in his efforts to get reactions. Then the Melody Maker poll winners concert at the Oval where they were quite good and finally the Civic College where my reason for going was Caravan (who I more or less missed in my efforts to chat up a girl right in front of her Frank Zappa lookalike boyfriend whilst a few friends kept passing by telling me how out of my depth I was but I think she was amused by it all.)
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 8:31]

You're probably right. £4 for Genesis does seem a bit steep.
Not happy you were trying it on with my bird tho'.

Any Genesis fans here? on 10:49 - Apr 13 with 1646 viewssolemio

Genesis? No, I'm more of an Exodus or Leviticus person myself.
Any Genesis fans here? on 13:31 - Apr 13 with 1606 viewsSouthBucksBlue

I bunked off school as a young teenager to go to Weeley festival. The music STARTED at midnight on a Friday. Many memories such as Marc Bolan getting booed off stage with T Rex and coming back on his own with an acoustic guitar and winning the crowd over. Also remember waking up about 7:00am one of the mornings and wandering down to the stage to watch Quo playing. The festival had a fantastic lineup but Genesis definitely weren’t part of it.
They did appear at the old Pier Pavilion at Felixstowe a few times doing stuff from Trespass and Nursery Cryme which has always been my favourite album from the Gabriel era.
I also loved most of the Collins fronted later music too. I’ve tickets for their tour later this year (postponed from last year) which will hopefully now go ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024