Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe 08:57 - Apr 13 with 3296 viewsMullet

One global pandemic and a change of ownership and we might finally be clawing our way back eh? Can’t say it’s been enjoyable or worked out very well though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 09:10 - Apr 13 with 1942 viewsSteve_M

Three years of being utterly rubbish is definitely better than a few boring games under Mick.

It's been utterly painful and the club was - right until last week - in a much worse position than when Mick left. That was the right thing by then but the failings of Evans made that situation far worse than it needed to have been and the last three years have been disastrous.

Thank goodness that the takeover provides a chance to make things right.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 09:30 - Apr 13 with 1894 viewsHerbivore

We've had three years of utter dross now. The inability to build anything over that time has been shocking. I'm struggling to understand what Lambert actually did for 2m5 years other than buy the fans a pint. I don't think he improved any of our players, he didn't bring any balance to the squad, he didn't instill any kind of playing identity, we have no partnerships in the side that actually work. It's astonishing that he was allowed to carry on in the job for so long and the damage done has been huge.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:10 - Apr 13 with 1828 viewsFrankfurtBlue

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 09:30 - Apr 13 by Herbivore

We've had three years of utter dross now. The inability to build anything over that time has been shocking. I'm struggling to understand what Lambert actually did for 2m5 years other than buy the fans a pint. I don't think he improved any of our players, he didn't bring any balance to the squad, he didn't instill any kind of playing identity, we have no partnerships in the side that actually work. It's astonishing that he was allowed to carry on in the job for so long and the damage done has been huge.

It wasn't necessarily his responsibility, but maybe (even inadvertently) he made Evans realise that it was time to sell up by communicating just how poor the football club was being run, effectively without a real CEO for so many years, massively over-relying on the first team manager, and without real investment where it counts, e.g. a grown-up recruitment strategy, injury prevention, Cat 1 Academy, etc.

Someone or something must have convinced ME that it was time to depart. Presumably the money helped, which if anywhere near the reported £40m and without conditionality to much of it, is an absolute steal for ME.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:14 - Apr 13 with 1792 viewsHerbivore

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:10 - Apr 13 by FrankfurtBlue

It wasn't necessarily his responsibility, but maybe (even inadvertently) he made Evans realise that it was time to sell up by communicating just how poor the football club was being run, effectively without a real CEO for so many years, massively over-relying on the first team manager, and without real investment where it counts, e.g. a grown-up recruitment strategy, injury prevention, Cat 1 Academy, etc.

Someone or something must have convinced ME that it was time to depart. Presumably the money helped, which if anywhere near the reported £40m and without conditionality to much of it, is an absolute steal for ME.

I think that's somewhat generous to Lambert. Evans has said for ages that whilst he's not actively looking to sell he would let the club go to the right buyer for the right offer.

Given Lambert managed to persuade Evans to give him a 5 year deal and managed to persuade him to spend decent sums of money in each window (relative to our level) I'm sure if he'd really wanted to he could have persuaded Evans to invest in things like recruitment. The truth is that it only became a priority for Lambert right at the death when he was looking to shift blame and save his reputation.

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:16 - Apr 13 with 1788 viewsPhilTWTD

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:10 - Apr 13 by FrankfurtBlue

Lambert seemed to suggest we should have the structure of Celtic or Dortmund. Whatever the failings of the structure, his comments were more about deflecting from his own failings.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:22 - Apr 13 with 1735 viewsGarv

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:14 - Apr 13 by Herbivore

I think that's somewhat generous to Lambert. Evans has said for ages that whilst he's not actively looking to sell he would let the club go to the right buyer for the right offer.

Given Lambert managed to persuade Evans to give him a 5 year deal and managed to persuade him to spend decent sums of money in each window (relative to our level) I'm sure if he'd really wanted to he could have persuaded Evans to invest in things like recruitment. The truth is that it only became a priority for Lambert right at the death when he was looking to shift blame and save his reputation.

That's guesswork though isn't it.

Lambert was on Evans' case about how the cub was run from the start, to say it only came up at the death is highly unlikely. Investing in recruitment wouldn't have been a small thing, of course it should have been done long ago but we all know Evans has never exactly been ahead of the curve.

I assume 'decent sums' refers to wages. Good players cost fees, of which we paid only one of significance, KVY.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:23 - Apr 13 with 1725 viewsHerbivore

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:22 - Apr 13 by Garv

Lambert was on Evans' case about how the cub was run from the start, to say it only came up at the death is highly unlikely. Investing in recruitment wouldn't have been a small thing, of course it should have been done long ago but we all know Evans has never exactly been ahead of the curve.

I assume 'decent sums' refers to wages. Good players cost fees, of which we paid only one of significance, KVY.

Disagree.

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:35 - Apr 13 with 1695 viewsPhilTWTD

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:22 - Apr 13 by Garv

Actually, I'm not sure that was right. I know there was some surprise from people at the club that he turned his thoughts in that direction in his latter days having been more concerned with branding and fencing around the training ground when he came in.
Login to get fewer ads

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:36 - Apr 13 with 1678 viewsRegencyBlue

Lambert was making it clear he wasn’t happy with how the club was run, which I for one applauded him for, right up until he was awarded the five year contract. I said it at the time and I’ll say it again, Evans bought him off with that contract because not a word of criticism of Evans escaped Lamberts lips again until the end when it was obvious he was on his way out.

Lambert was A problem, but Evans was THE problem. Evans supporters will never accept that and are always looking to excuse him from blame.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 11:40 - Apr 13 with 1570 viewsIllinoisblue

Sing: “cos every little thing gonna be alright...”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 11:55 - Apr 13 with 1527 viewspatrickswell

I do have some sympathy for those who cheered, applauded and sang after the Birmingham game because they did everything to try and provide a springboard for the team and club to bounce back only for players, management and owner to take a dump on it over the last 2 years.

The scale of lethargy about the place has been staggering.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 11:58 - Apr 13 with 1500 viewsJackSted

I remember it well:

Went to watch Harry Potter and the Cursed Child with the fam

Couldn't check the score during the first half of the show

During the interval checked my phone to see we were relegated

Ruined the 2nd half of the show
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 11:58]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:14 - Apr 13 with 1462 viewsBlueBadger

Generally, you could tell when Lambert was under pressure because he started trying to deflect blame towards Evans rather than his own inept handing of the first team. He did it just before that ludicrous contract was signed and he was doing it before he completely checked out and put Matt Gill in charge of the first team.

Lambert should have been sacked on this day two years ago. That, to be fair *IS* a way he way trying to tell us that Evans
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 12:41]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:15 - Apr 13 with 1461 viewsMach_foreignBlue

What needs to be said it's 2 years since possibly the most embarrassing thing to happen at any club. Literally ever ! I mean all what happened following the final whistle as Lambert and those utter wasters got clapped and cheered by SBR. Each single one of them ought to have been kicked out of the club.

No fight, no hunger, no drive yet they got clapped and cheered.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:18 - Apr 13 with 1450 viewsCoco

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:35 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

Actually, I'm not sure that was right. I know there was some surprise from people at the club that he turned his thoughts in that direction in his latter days having been more concerned with branding and fencing around the training ground when he came in.

like he got wind of what was coming

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:19 - Apr 13 with 1443 viewsCoco

however, without taking that journey we may never have reached this destination.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:20 - Apr 13 with 1433 viewschrismakin

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:35 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

Makes sense.

In all his time here he never once moaned about any structure until he ran out of reasons for things being rubbish and tried to divert the blame away from himself and towards M.E

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:27 - Apr 13 with 1417 viewsHerbivore

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:19 - Apr 13 by Coco

however, without taking that journey we may never have reached this destination.

Midtable in League 1?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:29 - Apr 13 with 1413 viewsCoco

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:27 - Apr 13 by Herbivore

Midtable in League 1?

was thinking more of the takeover

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:31 - Apr 13 with 1412 viewsHerbivore

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:29 - Apr 13 by Coco

was thinking more of the takeover

We don't yet know if that will lead to success on the pitch. Plus I'm sure Evans would still have sold if we were in the Championship.

Still, to this day..... on 12:39 - Apr 13 with 1399 viewsBloots

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 11:40 - Apr 13 by Illinoisblue

Sing: “cos every little thing gonna be alright...”

...that genuinely turns my stomach.

FFS.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:42 - Apr 13 with 1383 viewsBlueBadger

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 10:16 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

Lambert seemed to suggest we should have the structure of Celtic or Dortmund. Whatever the failings of the structure, his comments were more about deflecting from his own failings.

Why would he suggest Celtic or Dortmund as role models? I mean, he never mentioned them in interviews..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:44 - Apr 13 with 1373 viewsPhilTWTD

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:18 - Apr 13 by Coco

like he got wind of what was coming

I'm not sure he knew anything about the takeover other than what had been reported (and it had nothing to do with his exit), was just flailing and pointing fingers everywhere at the end.
2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:45 - Apr 13 with 1360 viewsHerbivore

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:44 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure he knew anything about the takeover other than what had been reported (and it had nothing to do with his exit), was just flailing and pointing fingers everywhere at the end.

He even blamed you.

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:48 - Apr 13 with 1333 viewsSwansea_Blue

2 years today since we were officially relegated I believe on 12:19 - Apr 13 by Coco

Possibly. I think £40m is pretty steep for a L1 club, but obviously it would have been higher and less attractive to investors had we stayed in the Championship. And ME would probably have been less willing to sell too, still hanging onto his dream of leading us to the PL, staring longingly at the big teams while clutching a soggy beer mat adorned with his scribbled 5 point plan.

Depending on how this works out with the new owners, we could well come to see relegation as a necessary evil and ultimately a positive. The worst part of it may be that it took Evans another 2 years to realise he was out of his depth. But then he never was quick at anything was he.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024