Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Cook get? 08:20 - Apr 14 with 13634 viewsBluefish

I think I will be viewed as an early adopter to the uselessness of Lambert. I refused to buy in to the free hit nonsense for a club 5 points adrift in October, the warning signs were there very early for Lambert being a fraud. I did however question him and the adulation for him without calling for his head straightaway. The earliest that the calls to sack him were March time, that is 5 months on and even then it was more questions and acknowledging failure than demanding his sacking. During that spell he had a complete transfer window albeit the trickier January one but he was definitely financially backed.

What does any of this history mean? Cook has been a disaster so far, the inability to turn things round on the pitch and the struggle to either impose his own shape and strategy or find one that suits our current crop is very worrying. There are no excuses for how far away we are at the moment on the pitch, we have a squad plenty big enough to find a side that competes on the pitch, at the moment 0 shots on target is mot competing.

I think Cook was asked early on how long he needs and his response was 1 transfer window. It is bold but positive and with the start he has had that is definitely right. You need to earn credit as a manager and he has used his up with this start without earning any extra. The summer will be a fresh start but the backing he will get coupled with the better window means he needs to not carry over anything, we have to hit the ground running to build some credit and then it has to be maintained.

I'm not Cook Out but I'm also not giving free hits, the start is a blemish so the pressure should start

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long does Cook get? on 08:23 - Apr 14 with 4691 viewsDubtractor

We need to give him the summer and half of next season IMO.

Not good enough so far though, as per the thread I have just posted.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How long does Cook get? on 08:25 - Apr 14 with 4669 viewspointofblue

I think he’s got until Christmas - if we’re not fighting under for at least a play off place with a transfer window behind him then he’ll be sacked. The issue is, although not all his fault, the fact he has not managed to turn our fortunes around, and arguably seen us go backwards, is not going to see him given a free pass if we enter a poor run next time around.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How long does Cook get? on 08:26 - Apr 14 with 4653 viewswkj

Cook has an opportunity like no other in our, or many club's, history - The squad mostly out of contract, new investment and a transfer window with many clubs tightening their purses and letting players go from all across the EFL.

My judgement wont start fully on Cook until the summer, however - he will be under a microscope from Day 1. There will be no "let them gel" or give him a season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How long does Cook get? on 08:32 - Apr 14 with 4595 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Up to Christmas IMHO.

We've got big plans now, and we can't use Evans as an excuse anymore. But starting this sh it now?
If it isn't clear that the players aren't trying, then maybe you aren't quite as clued up as you thing you are?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

How long does Cook get? on 08:34 - Apr 14 with 4559 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:32 - Apr 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Up to Christmas IMHO.

We've got big plans now, and we can't use Evans as an excuse anymore. But starting this sh it now?
If it isn't clear that the players aren't trying, then maybe you aren't quite as clued up as you thing you are?

Lol

If the players aren't trying then it is the managers job to not kick them. We had 24 training this week without a single youth player included

Giving someone a free ride until Christmas is madness. If the current levels continue you the season will be destroyed

How long does Cook get? on 08:35 - Apr 14 with 4551 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:23 - Apr 14 by Dubtractor

We need to give him the summer and half of next season IMO.

Not good enough so far though, as per the thread I have just posted.

Half a season is way to long with the current performance levels. He has 2 months initially to show improvement

How long does Cook get? on 08:35 - Apr 14 with 4549 viewspointofblue

How long does Cook get? on 08:26 - Apr 14 by wkj

Cook has an opportunity like no other in our, or many club's, history - The squad mostly out of contract, new investment and a transfer window with many clubs tightening their purses and letting players go from all across the EFL.

My judgement wont start fully on Cook until the summer, however - he will be under a microscope from Day 1. There will be no "let them gel" or give him a season.

Your second paragraph is what I was trying to say, but did so very clumsily, in my post. This bad run has dismissed any chance Cook may have had to get the squad to gel - he has to hit the ground running next season, or at least get us going by the end of 2021.

How long does Cook get? on 08:38 - Apr 14 with 4523 viewsCheltenham_Blue

How long does Cook get? on 08:34 - Apr 14 by Bluefish

Lol

If the players aren't trying then it is the managers job to not kick them. We had 24 training this week without a single youth player included

Giving someone a free ride until Christmas is madness. If the current levels continue you the season will be destroyed

The season has already been destroyed and next season will be a totally new set of players.
Calm down.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

How long does Cook get? on 08:38 - Apr 14 with 4521 viewshadleighboyblue

How long does Cook get? on 08:25 - Apr 14 by pointofblue

I think he’s got until Christmas - if we’re not fighting under for at least a play off place with a transfer window behind him then he’ll be sacked. The issue is, although not all his fault, the fact he has not managed to turn our fortunes around, and arguably seen us go backwards, is not going to see him given a free pass if we enter a poor run next time around.

With the massive turnaround of players that we need , it will take time to blend a team that know how others play with so many new players

There are so few current players worth keeping , the changes are going to be massive .

We need to get the new players in as soon as possible so they can be part of preseason games to give them time to gel

1st thing we need is a proper skipper who is a leader on the pitch and players that will fight for the club

I wish PC good luck , the current players have let him down so badly they should be ashamed
How long does Cook get? on 08:41 - Apr 14 with 4493 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:38 - Apr 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

The season has already been destroyed and next season will be a totally new set of players.
Calm down.

Calm down? Bit odd, you stsrt getting all petty and personal in your post

If you wait until Xmas regardless, next season will be destroyed. Seems to be tin pot to suggest that

How long does Cook get? on 08:41 - Apr 14 with 4489 viewsRegencyBlue

I think we have to give him at least a season!

This sh1tfest has been the best part of fourteen years in the making and expecting anyone to turn things around virtually overnight is pushing it.

Our new Owners/CEO/Manager have a huge amount of damage to put right, on and off the pitch, so some patience will be required.
How long does Cook get? on 08:42 - Apr 14 with 4475 viewswkj

How long does Cook get? on 08:38 - Apr 14 by hadleighboyblue

With the massive turnaround of players that we need , it will take time to blend a team that know how others play with so many new players

There are so few current players worth keeping , the changes are going to be massive .

We need to get the new players in as soon as possible so they can be part of preseason games to give them time to gel

1st thing we need is a proper skipper who is a leader on the pitch and players that will fight for the club

I wish PC good luck , the current players have let him down so badly they should be ashamed

Quality has to trump cohesion. If he builds a quality team, and they start to Gel by the later part o the season - that bodes well for the Championship (which we HAVE to get next season)

To get promoted, he's going to have to rely on those players to get through on quality and coaching alone - we shouldn't use 'bedding the team' in as an excuse or him.

Besides, nothing beds a team in better than winning football matches.

Crybaby

How long does Cook get? on 08:42 - Apr 14 with 4468 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:41 - Apr 14 by RegencyBlue

This sh1tfest has been the best part of fourteen years in the making and expecting anyone to turn things around virtually overnight is pushing it.

Our new Owners/CEO/Manager have a huge amount of damage to put right, on and off the pitch, so some patience will be required.

If we are having 0 shots on target in November then you are going to clap along until May?

We need to learn from mistakes

How long does Cook get? on 08:45 - Apr 14 with 4430 viewsbluefunk

You really think any manager could right the wrongs of this club and more specifically the damage done by Lambert in 10 games? Cook is obviously not the problem here, but he is part of the solution along with a properly structured management team around him.

Yes, they need quick wins to keep fans onside, and we (and Cook) would have expected more than we’ve had, but that just emphasises the absolute mess left by the previous regime. We have heard players bemoaning the commitment of our squad before (Supple, Welles’s) and we are in a repeat of that.

You don’t rebuild a club or a squad in one window, and the new CEO doesn’t have a history of sacking managers (not sure whether the chairman does). Successful teams happen, in any industry, when everyone is pulling in the same direction, we won’t see that happening consistently at this club until the players associated with this sh1tshow are gone and replaced with players prepared to do what’s necessary to get promoted
How long does Cook get? on 08:47 - Apr 14 with 4416 viewsghostofescobar

I think some of the current criticism of him is way out of proportion. This club is broken and the players are front and centre of that malaise. Having said that, he will have to turn things around pretty quickly next season and won't get the kind of time that Evans would give managers: the new owners will want results much, much quicker. If we are not right in the mix in early December, then I think he would be out.

GhostOfEscobar

How long does Cook get? on 08:47 - Apr 14 with 4407 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:45 - Apr 14 by bluefunk

You really think any manager could right the wrongs of this club and more specifically the damage done by Lambert in 10 games? Cook is obviously not the problem here, but he is part of the solution along with a properly structured management team around him.

Yes, they need quick wins to keep fans onside, and we (and Cook) would have expected more than we’ve had, but that just emphasises the absolute mess left by the previous regime. We have heard players bemoaning the commitment of our squad before (Supple, Welles’s) and we are in a repeat of that.

You don’t rebuild a club or a squad in one window, and the new CEO doesn’t have a history of sacking managers (not sure whether the chairman does). Successful teams happen, in any industry, when everyone is pulling in the same direction, we won’t see that happening consistently at this club until the players associated with this sh1tshow are gone and replaced with players prepared to do what’s necessary to get promoted

I definitely haven't said that i expected a 10 game turnaround

How long does Cook get? on 08:48 - Apr 14 with 4397 viewspointofblue

How long does Cook get? on 08:41 - Apr 14 by RegencyBlue

Exactly what we did with Lambert - gave him a season and then some when it was clear it wasn’t working out.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 8:48]

How long does Cook get? on 08:50 - Apr 14 with 4371 viewswkj

How long does Cook get? on 08:48 - Apr 14 by pointofblue

Exactly what we did with Lambert - gave him a season and then some when it was clear it wasn’t working out.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 8:48]

Like others have stated - I don't think Cook will be afforded the luxury of time. We're going to have a CEO here full time, and members o the consortium visiting regularly. The CEO will be talking to him daily, and will be scrutinising him more than Evans ever would have.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 8:52]

Crybaby

How long does Cook get? on 08:53 - Apr 14 with 4351 viewsChurchman

A ‘strategy that suits our current crop’. Enlighten me as to what that strategy might be? What formation do you think would suit them? We have poor goalkeepers, no full backs, no midfielders worthy of the name, no pace and forwards who couldn’t hit a cows rear end with a banjo even if the clowns behind gave them any service.

People on this board howling for ‘the Cowley’s’? What would they have done with that lot? Short of chasing them round with an electric cattle prod, nothing. Because the players don’t want to do it and many of them can’t. They were poor last year and poor this. How many games have the vaguely looked like a team in two years? They aren’t fit and are on and off injured. They are disinterested and detached. They are mostly poor players and many have no bottle whatsoever. Garbage. You watch and see how many wind up at Championship clubs. Downes maybe?

This ‘free hit’ phrase is beginning to grate. It is actually the players that have had a free hit at Ipswich Town. For 14 years. If they’re the shambles they are now at Christmas, I’ll join in giving Cook pelters. Once upon a time, a manager was given three years. Our supporters now think three minutes is more than enough. Give the bloke time to shovel the lot out of the door and build a team. He’s our best lower league managerial option.
How long does Cook get? on 08:54 - Apr 14 with 4337 viewsbluefunk

How long does Cook get? on 08:47 - Apr 14 by Bluefish

I definitely haven't said that i expected a 10 game turnaround

You did say there are no excuses for where we at the moment, ie 10 games into Cook’s reign, which kind of does say you expected him to engineer a 10 game turnaround
How long does Cook get? on 08:55 - Apr 14 with 4333 viewsKropotkin123

I think this is on the players. They know they aren't going to be here after the summer. I think those that were comfy in the Lambert era are getting a shock as to what is expected on the training ground and I certainly don't want them to impact my opinion of the manager.

After he has the summer, I would want to see significant improvement. I'll start forming an opinion on what I see then.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

How long does Cook get? on 09:05 - Apr 14 with 4292 viewsBluefish

How long does Cook get? on 08:54 - Apr 14 by bluefunk

You did say there are no excuses for where we at the moment, ie 10 games into Cook’s reign, which kind of does say you expected him to engineer a 10 game turnaround

Nope

It means we should have seen some signs of improvement and not got potentially worse. Very different to a turnaround

Not exactly asking a lot

How long does Cook get? on 09:19 - Apr 14 with 4241 viewsnodge_blue

I think somewhere along the way you have to go with a guy. Its clear that the players need to take most of the blame here. Lets not increase the pressure on Cook unnecessarily. Im sure he puts enough on himself. He has until the end of the year in my book.

I very much doubt the new owners will tolerate long periods of failure. I think we are in a different scenario to Evans.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

How long does Cook get? on 09:30 - Apr 14 with 4174 viewsRegencyBlue

How long does Cook get? on 08:42 - Apr 14 by Bluefish

If we are having 0 shots on target in November then you are going to clap along until May?

We need to learn from mistakes

The shower of sh1te we have currently despoiling the shirt will mostly be long gone next season so I cannot imagine that will be the case.

This club needs rebuilding from the ground up. Changing the manager every six months isn’t going to help.
How long does Cook get? on 09:34 - Apr 14 with 4155 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

This is insane. What’s happened on this forum.

This is not a free hit like Lamberts one. Lambert shouldn’t have got a free hit because he had shown before us time and time again that he fails as a manager. Paul Cook has not got a fault on his record. He is the best manager we can have at this level. You don’t become a bad manager overnight.

We give him the summer window and then we won’t need to have this discussion because he will get us promoted.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024