Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 Games 08:52 - Apr 14 with 1812 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is that what we as Ipswich Fans have been reduced to now? Giving managers 8-10 games before turning on them? And to think there are posters on the Bristol City fan's post about Ashton calling Bristol C fans 'entitled'.

Forget this season, it's a bust. It's not about Cook, it is everything about this set of players being unable to raise their game in a play off push.

We haven't 'got worse' under Cook, we've stayed exactly the same, just like we were against Northampton and against Swindon. No difference, the same. Anyone thinking that this squad of players, with the possible exception of 3 or 4 players is good enough for the top end of L1, never mind the Championship is seriously deluding themselves.

Just in January, a good number of us were, quite rightly saying IMO, that under Evans and Lambert we were headed to L2, that's certainly what the performances and the results indicated; save for our purple patch at the beginning of the season.

But now, with Cook having 10 games, and a bit of money coming in, apparently everything is different and we should be whooping sides like Wimbledon, with the exact same set of players and the exact same club structure. Aside from Cook, Zero Changes.

Some of you need to get a grip. New ownership structure now, Ashton in June, this club won't fk about any more, if the results don't come, Cook will be gone, I've no doubt of this.

But for fans to start raising significant doubts on probably the best manager in the league at this level, with a record that absolutely supports this?

Entitled. And utterly, utterly classless.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 8:55]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

10 Games on 08:55 - Apr 14 with 1564 viewshype313

It's not been a great start for him, but there are so many caveats around this, to even start thinking about replacing him is absurd. He needs at least the summer to rebuild, hopefully bring in Richardson and then he can stamp his authority and get the players he feels are the quality needed for his formation and success.

Some of our fans can't blame the players come rain or shine, and others seem to think we can replace Cook with Guardiola.

Scenes.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

10 Games on 09:06 - Apr 14 with 1511 viewsGuthrum

People have been misled by that burst of three wins (allegedly or actually under Matt Gill's supervision). Despite the fact they weren't exactly convincing and one of them against 10 men for virtually the entire match, it somehow "proves" that what came before Cook was better than he has achieved. Whereas of the ten games before that, we won three, drew three and lost four. Only two points more than Cook has got in the same number.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

10 Games on 09:09 - Apr 14 with 1483 viewsBluefish

Calm down

Show me 1 cook out post

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

10 Games on 09:13 - Apr 14 with 1464 viewsCheltenham_Blue

10 Games on 09:09 - Apr 14 by Bluefish

Calm down

Show me 1 cook out post

Show me where I've said 'Cook Out'

10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 with 1450 viewsPJH

10 Games on 09:06 - Apr 14 by Guthrum

People have been misled by that burst of three wins (allegedly or actually under Matt Gill's supervision). Despite the fact they weren't exactly convincing and one of them against 10 men for virtually the entire match, it somehow "proves" that what came before Cook was better than he has achieved. Whereas of the ten games before that, we won three, drew three and lost four. Only two points more than Cook has got in the same number.

So he is nearly as good as Lambert, that is comforting to know.

There are obviously reasons/excuses but I do not see how anyone can say it is not a disappointing start by Cook.

He might turn out to be a good manager for us, if he is here long enough, we shall see.
10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 with 1454 viewsSteve_M

We may not have got worse under Cook but we haven't got any better, that's very disappointing. Not being better than Swindon or Northampton at home is still absymal.

There are plenty of caveats and Lambert and Evans left a mess of a squad but that doesn't change the fact that we have no defined sense of team structure and the constant changing of the defence between four and three at the back contributed to last night's poor defending.

I still think Cook will do a good job here once he has had time to bring his own players in but I expected more from him so far. There is no discernible improvement on the pitch, that isn't solely down to the players.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

10 Games on 09:27 - Apr 14 with 1401 viewsGuthrum

10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 by PJH

There are obviously reasons/excuses but I do not see how anyone can say it is not a disappointing start by Cook.

He might turn out to be a good manager for us, if he is here long enough, we shall see.

If someone has a sprained ankle, it's not a major injury but you can't suddenly get them from a hobble to a sprint. It isn't as simple as just pointing someone who's lost in the right direction.

10 Games on 09:33 - Apr 14 with 1365 viewsPendejo

10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 by PJH

Agree

First and foremost this squad is what Cook inherited and has not had a transfer window to tweak it in.

However

Going back to Guthrum's point.

Gill got a tune out of the fiddlers, however lucky, however backs against the wall, getting will requires goals for and less goals against. That happened, and not against Wimbledon, MK Dons or Rochdale, it was against higher positioned teams including Hull City.

Theoretically potential is there, and I often bore you all by talking about chemistry, Gill (albeit briefly) got something from them that Cook has been unable to which could be down to chemistry and relationships.

Cook should have been able to build upon the Gill mini revival, he hasn't, but that could be down to the players on some sort of collective work to rule.

It could be that Cook is the right man long term, I certainly hope he is, what really messes with what's left of my brain is the possibility that professional footballers are not being very professional.

Either way... Only way is up?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

10 Games on 09:34 - Apr 14 with 1362 viewsRegencyBlue

10 Games on 09:06 - Apr 14 by Guthrum

Stop bringing logic into the argument Guthrum!
10 Games on 09:49 - Apr 14 with 1338 viewsRegencyBlue

10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 by Steve_M

We may not have got worse under Cook but we haven't got any better, that's very disappointing. Not being better than Swindon or Northampton at home is still absymal.

There are plenty of caveats and Lambert and Evans left a mess of a squad but that doesn't change the fact that we have no defined sense of team structure and the constant changing of the defence between four and three at the back contributed to last night's poor defending.

I still think Cook will do a good job here once he has had time to bring his own players in but I expected more from him so far. There is no discernible improvement on the pitch, that isn't solely down to the players.

I think Cook is looking to see what he’s got and what he can do with them. That is what is behind the various changes being made.

By now I imagine he knows the answer to both questions, not a lot!

The players have a lot to answer for here, they are just not responding to him and to my mind look as if they are trying to get him the sack. Either that or they have already been told they are not required next season and have downed tools.
10 Games on 09:52 - Apr 14 with 1331 viewsGuthrum

10 Games on 09:33 - Apr 14 by Pendejo

Agree

First and foremost this squad is what Cook inherited and has not had a transfer window to tweak it in.

However

Gill got a tune out of the fiddlers, however lucky, however backs against the wall, getting will requires goals for and less goals against. That happened, and not against Wimbledon, MK Dons or Rochdale, it was against higher positioned teams including Hull City.

Theoretically potential is there, and I often bore you all by talking about chemistry, Gill (albeit briefly) got something from them that Cook has been unable to which could be down to chemistry and relationships.

Cook should have been able to build upon the Gill mini revival, he hasn't, but that could be down to the players on some sort of collective work to rule.

It could be that Cook is the right man long term, I certainly hope he is, what really messes with what's left of my brain is the possibility that professional footballers are not being very professional.

Given Matt Gill continues to be heavily involved in the coaching setup, then the magic ingredient - if tsuch a thing exists - is still present. I suspect it may come down to something as simple as higher-placed teams being more attacking and leaving a few more openings at the back than those at the bottom and fighting for L1 survival. Enough to stymie our rather toothless strikeforce.

10 Games on 10:00 - Apr 14 with 1304 viewsurbanblue

10 Games on 09:49 - Apr 14 by RegencyBlue

I think Cook is looking to see what he’s got and what he can do with them. That is what is behind the various changes being made.

By now I imagine he knows the answer to both questions, not a lot!

The players have a lot to answer for here, they are just not responding to him and to my mind look as if they are trying to get him the sack. Either that or they have already been told they are not required next season and have downed tools.

But shouldn't the chance of a play off final at Wembley and promotion be enough of an incentive? They surely know how high the players who won the play off final before are held in high regard.

I think they are just not good enough and there is fear in the way they play. I didn't really see a lack of effort yesterday.
10 Games on 10:01 - Apr 14 with 1294 viewsCheltenham_Blue

10 Games on 10:00 - Apr 14 by urbanblue

But shouldn't the chance of a play off final at Wembley and promotion be enough of an incentive? They surely know how high the players who won the play off final before are held in high regard.

I think they are just not good enough and there is fear in the way they play. I didn't really see a lack of effort yesterday.

"Fear in the way they play"?

Something I’ve been thinking for a few weeks by Cheltenham_Blue 13 Apr 2021 21:55
Why is it you hear cook shouting and encouraging, and sometimes Holy.
But never our senior players, not Chambo, Ward or Judge.

There’s no fire there, no fight.

I’m convinced they’ve all convinced each other that they are better off not going up.
1. Under Evans. “If we go up, we’ll come back down and badly”
2. Under GC20. “If we go up, every single one of us will be sold or in the Ressies.”

Then again, maybe their contracts, negotiated by Evans, trying to cut corners, don't include a promotion bonus and/or a pay rise. I wouldn't put it past him to try that.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 10:03]

10 Games on 10:06 - Apr 14 with 1268 viewsurbanblue

10 Games on 10:01 - Apr 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

"Fear in the way they play"?

Something I’ve been thinking for a few weeks by Cheltenham_Blue 13 Apr 2021 21:55
Why is it you hear cook shouting and encouraging, and sometimes Holy.
But never our senior players, not Chambo, Ward or Judge.

There’s no fire there, no fight.

I’m convinced they’ve all convinced each other that they are better off not going up.
1. Under Evans. “If we go up, we’ll come back down and badly”
2. Under GC20. “If we go up, every single one of us will be sold or in the Ressies.”

Then again, maybe their contracts, negotiated by Evans, trying to cut corners, don't include a promotion bonus and/or a pay rise. I wouldn't put it past him to try that.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 10:03]

On saying that I thought that Judge was one player who appeared hungry and up for it yesterday. He'd been involved in two or three moves before he was taken off. I was surprised that it was he and Edwards pulled as they were probably the only two creating anything.
10 Games on 10:07 - Apr 14 with 1262 viewsVaughan8

How many of these posts are we going to have?

People are saying he's had a poor start.............he has.

Are most people willing to give him the summer and start again........Yes.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 10:07]
10 Games on 10:10 - Apr 14 with 1243 viewsCheltenham_Blue

10 Games on 10:06 - Apr 14 by urbanblue

On saying that I thought that Judge was one player who appeared hungry and up for it yesterday. He'd been involved in two or three moves before he was taken off. I was surprised that it was he and Edwards pulled as they were probably the only two creating anything.

Edwards was bladdy awful 1st half though, repeatedly trying to run past Guinness-Walker and repeatedly being done for pace. Definition of insanity.

However, yep, much better in the second, I was surprised he was hooked too. I think Judge, for all his improved effort over the last 10-15 games flatters to deceive. For a supposed 'technically gifted' player, his range of passing at times is woeful.

10 Games on 10:33 - Apr 14 with 1199 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Perfectly put.

These players ought to have a bit of pride in themselves, regardless of who the manager is. Cook hasn't put square pegs in round holes or played crazy formations. They're not being told to do anything out of the ordinary.

They either;

1. Can't be bothered because they know they have no future here.
2. Are crapper than we realised.
3. Are paralysed by fear.
4. Have been utterly worn down by years of poor football/management.
5. Are unfit.

Or possibly a bit of all 5.
And none of this is on Cook.
Cook is an experienced and recently successful manager at this level. If his bubbly personality can't motivate them then they're unmotivatable.

I even wonder if the new owners ought to get a therapist in.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

10 Games on 10:50 - Apr 14 with 1157 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

10 Games on 09:33 - Apr 14 by Pendejo

Agree

However

Gill probably got a slight upturn because they were at last seeing the back of Lambert, and that temporarily gave them a lift. By the time Cook came in that boost had worn off.

10 Games on 10:54 - Apr 14 with 1147 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

10 Games on 10:07 - Apr 14 by Vaughan8

How many of these posts are we going to have?

People are saying he's had a poor start.............he has.

Are most people willing to give him the summer and start again........Yes.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 10:07]

People are being very careful not to directly say "Cook out" but it's clear by their tone that some think he's not up to the job. Which is utterly ridiculous given the circumstances and how long he's had.

10 Games on 10:56 - Apr 14 with 1138 viewshaynes_toe1

I mean we have got worse under Cook, to deny that is a little cringeworthy. The performances have for the most-part been worse, the PPG has been worse, the attacking stats (chances created / shots / goals) have all been worse...
10 Games on 10:58 - Apr 14 with 1131 viewschrismakin

10 Games on 10:56 - Apr 14 by haynes_toe1

I mean we have got worse under Cook, to deny that is a little cringeworthy. The performances have for the most-part been worse, the PPG has been worse, the attacking stats (chances created / shots / goals) have all been worse...

but what happend? you moaned about not switching from 4 2 3 1, you got what you wanted

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

10 Games on 11:01 - Apr 14 with 1120 viewsreusersfreekicks

10 Games on 09:16 - Apr 14 by Steve_M

Precisely
10 Games on 11:03 - Apr 14 with 1109 viewshaynes_toe1

10 Games on 10:58 - Apr 14 by chrismakin

but what happend? you moaned about not switching from 4 2 3 1, you got what you wanted

Yeah, and we got even worse. But i'm not paid to get it right.

It was clear 4-2-3-1 wasn't working. It was clear the players picked weren't working. I never said what formation or tactical implementations he should make.

We've got worse under Cook. In every part of our play both clearly visible to anyone who's watched football but also statistically in every respect bar defensively where we've kept on par.
10 Games on 11:05 - Apr 14 with 1094 viewschrismakin

10 Games on 11:03 - Apr 14 by haynes_toe1

It was clear 4-2-3-1 wasn't working. It was clear the players picked weren't working. I never said what formation or tactical implementations he should make.

We've got worse under Cook. In every part of our play both clearly visible to anyone who's watched football but also statistically in every respect bar defensively where we've kept on par.

It's actually got worse since he switched formations..... which you, others and the local media pushed for

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

10 Games on 11:08 - Apr 14 with 1087 viewstractorboy1978

10 Games on 11:03 - Apr 14 by haynes_toe1

You still haven't addressed my point in the other thread - our form is no worse than in bulky periods under Lambert over the past two seasons. We have 10 points from 10 games under Cook.

Last season - final 25 games, we picked up 25 points.

This season - between 1 Nov and Lambert leaving, 19 games and 25 points. That includes 9 points from 3 games that people seem to use as evidence that PC was left a decent position. So 16 points from the other 16 games.

At some point, you have to accept that for whatever reason we have issues with this squad that go far deeper than the manager. And I will be the first to admit I blamed Lambert for everything at the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024