Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet another step towards 1984 11:06 - Apr 14 with 1970 viewsbluelagos

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/pcc-wants-all-motorcycles-fitted-trackers

Lets hope the govt tell the bloke to do one.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:13 - Apr 14 with 1918 viewsHARRY10

should add to the interest at Foxhall Stadium
Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:19 - Apr 14 with 1908 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:13 - Apr 14 by HARRY10

should add to the interest at Foxhall Stadium

As/when they let spectators back in - you won't get a more socially distanced and CV friendly night out than the speedway :-)

The transport there is like 99% by private car, out doors spectating, average crowd less than 2k in a stadium bigger than Portman Road. What's not to like?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:22 - Apr 14 with 1895 viewsTractorWood

My only bug bear on motorcycles is the noise. I think there needs to be a limit on decibels. Some are insanely loud.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:27 - Apr 14 with 1876 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:22 - Apr 14 by TractorWood

My only bug bear on motorcycles is the noise. I think there needs to be a limit on decibels. Some are insanely loud.

There is a limit. Going over that limit will make you liable to a fine. And to an MOT failure.

Bikers like loud exhausts as it helps keep you safe. Some idiots don't look properly but they mitigate against the blind driver as fewer are both blind and deaf.

Just think of it as a biker trying to keep safe :-)

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:29 - Apr 14 with 1870 viewsStokieBlue

Saw an electric one the other day which was both cool and bizarre as it made barely any noise.

Not a motorcycle person but I did do some reading and the Harley one does 0-60 in under 3 seconds and a top speed of 95mph which seem like fairly perfect stats for that type of thing. Also had a range of 150 miles.

Here it is:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:34 - Apr 14 with 1852 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:29 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

Saw an electric one the other day which was both cool and bizarre as it made barely any noise.

Not a motorcycle person but I did do some reading and the Harley one does 0-60 in under 3 seconds and a top speed of 95mph which seem like fairly perfect stats for that type of thing. Also had a range of 150 miles.

Here it is:

SB

They are defo quick off the mark. The issue with electric ones is the usual limits on riding them (Motorbike tests and capacity limits are way harder than car tests) don't apply (The laws / restrictions are yet to catch up) so a 17 year old can pass a test and ride a bike that is as quick off the lights as an R1 / Panagale / Fireblade.

The top speed isn't a major issue, but the acceleration is. Namely you twist a bit too much wrist and you are already in a hedge before you know what's happened. Madness to let inexperienced riders loose on these things imho.

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:37 - Apr 14 with 1839 viewsStokieBlue

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:34 - Apr 14 by bluelagos

They are defo quick off the mark. The issue with electric ones is the usual limits on riding them (Motorbike tests and capacity limits are way harder than car tests) don't apply (The laws / restrictions are yet to catch up) so a 17 year old can pass a test and ride a bike that is as quick off the lights as an R1 / Panagale / Fireblade.

The top speed isn't a major issue, but the acceleration is. Namely you twist a bit too much wrist and you are already in a hedge before you know what's happened. Madness to let inexperienced riders loose on these things imho.

I assumed the process for getting licenced would be the same and that the power of the electric bike would be paired to a HP for a combustion bike and the same requirements needed.

When I saw one I was expecting a huge noise but when he accelerated off there was barely any noise at all (I was walking on the other side of the road).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:43 - Apr 14 with 1833 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:37 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

I assumed the process for getting licenced would be the same and that the power of the electric bike would be paired to a HP for a combustion bike and the same requirements needed.

When I saw one I was expecting a huge noise but when he accelerated off there was barely any noise at all (I was walking on the other side of the road).

SB

The lack of noise is actually a barrier to sales. When you come up behind cars and looking for an overtake (Especially if there's two cars together) you really want the cars to know you are there. If they can hear you, they are far less likely to pull out on you as are you are overtaking.

So same process / test - but with bikes, youngsters have to ride a lower size capacity bike for a couple of years before than can get a bigger one. Idea is that they get used to riding before they are let loose with a really quick one. But these things don't have a capacity - so they fall through the cracks. Yet they are as fast as the fastest bikes from a standing start.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 11:43]

Login to get fewer ads

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:48 - Apr 14 with 1821 viewsDeano69

I would say the same for cars too.

Personally I would make all motor vehicle drivers learn and pass a test in/on an automatic (we are heading that way anyway with EV's), with power restrictions based on experience. After 5 years of good driving experience you can up the power for your vehicle of choice and additional training and exam to allow you to drive with manual gears.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:59 - Apr 14 with 1796 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:48 - Apr 14 by Deano69

I would say the same for cars too.

Personally I would make all motor vehicle drivers learn and pass a test in/on an automatic (we are heading that way anyway with EV's), with power restrictions based on experience. After 5 years of good driving experience you can up the power for your vehicle of choice and additional training and exam to allow you to drive with manual gears.

That's close to what youngsters have to do (Think it is 2 years on a restricted license/bike). That is based on the dangers of inexperienced bikers to themselves / ending up in ditches etc.

Still 40 times more likely to die on a bike than a car, primarily due to the lack of a huge metal cage with airbags / seat belts all round you.

Yet another step towards 1984 on 13:02 - Apr 14 with 1753 viewssolomon

You’ve obviously never heard a MotoGP bike then, it brings a whole new dimension to the term loud.
Yet another step towards 1984 on 13:11 - Apr 14 with 1735 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 13:02 - Apr 14 by solomon

You’ve obviously never heard a MotoGP bike then, it brings a whole new dimension to the term loud.

The most mental sight I've ever witnessed was in the camp site at the Le Mans 24 race (Motorbike one) a couple of years back.

The locals would bring bikes (in vans) to blow up, as you do. Drill a hole and then poor petrol down the exhaust, rev the tits off it, before setting it alight.

And in between exploding motorbikes, the sight of deckchair racing - two bikes both with blokes behind sat on a deckchair - with a rope tied to the motorbike, getting pulled along the ground, all whilst holding a can of beer in your free hand.

Lunatics. Apparently Assen is worse. One day :-)

Yet another step towards 1984 on 13:33 - Apr 14 with 1708 viewsMeadowlark

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:29 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

Here it is:

SB

My bike in the 1970s could do 0-60 in around 3 seconds, as could many, but some of the new electric bikes can do this in under 2 seconds!!

I like the idea of an electric bike, but too quick for me now.
Yet another step towards 1984 on 14:09 - Apr 14 with 1673 viewsGuthrum

It's also not very practicable. The tracking stuff would require a very high level of connectivity, including in rural areas. How would the speed sensor link work with analog systems? Who collects and stores the data, where is it kept and who has access? Who pays for all this?

Suspect this is less a viable suggestion and more soneone venting anti-biker sentiments. Would there happen to be an election coming up soon (e.g. May) for his position?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Yet another step towards 1984 on 14:18 - Apr 14 with 1665 viewsTIB

"when engagement and education isn’t getting through to those responsible."...if you've tried to engage and educate them but they're still not listening, I can't see a speed tracker being the magic answer.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 14:19]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 15:04 - Apr 14 with 1615 viewsZXBlue

Yet another step towards 1984 on 11:43 - Apr 14 by bluelagos

The lack of noise is actually a barrier to sales. When you come up behind cars and looking for an overtake (Especially if there's two cars together) you really want the cars to know you are there. If they can hear you, they are far less likely to pull out on you as are you are overtaking.

So same process / test - but with bikes, youngsters have to ride a lower size capacity bike for a couple of years before than can get a bigger one. Idea is that they get used to riding before they are let loose with a really quick one. But these things don't have a capacity - so they fall through the cracks. Yet they are as fast as the fastest bikes from a standing start.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 11:43]

The obvious answer is not to overtake. The cars are probably at or around the speed limit anyway...
Yet another step towards 1984 on 15:09 - Apr 14 with 1607 viewsJ2BLUE

First they came for the bikers...

Honestly, it's a massively overkill reaction to a minority. As soon as this was okayed it would be pushed for in cars as well.

Let's hope the government say no.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 16:44 - Apr 14 with 1531 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 15:04 - Apr 14 by ZXBlue

The obvious answer is not to overtake. The cars are probably at or around the speed limit anyway...

Am guessing you've never ridden a motorbike per chance?

Yet another step towards 1984 on 16:46 - Apr 14 with 1526 viewsbluelagos

Yet another step towards 1984 on 16:44 - Apr 14 by bluelagos

It won't happen, as like you say, cars would be next. Way too many votes to lose if they go down that route.

The other issue is the cost. Why should motorcyclists pay for this?

And the idea that it would deter bike thieves is utter nonsense. Thieves are quite capable of locating and taking off trackers that are currently available for bikers to purchase.

Yet another step towards 1984 on 18:07 - Apr 14 with 1480 viewssolomon

The weight of the bike is an issue too, if it gets away from you it’s going to carry massive amounts of energy should it start to tumble and flip
Yet another step towards 1984 on 19:50 - Apr 14 with 1431 viewsZXBlue

Yet another step towards 1984 on 16:44 - Apr 14 by bluelagos

No but I drive a car, and routinely get overtaken by bikes doing well in excess of the limit, as if it is their entitlement.

Bikes and Audis.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024