Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes post match comments 11:32 - Apr 14 with 2639 viewsPinewoodblue

We lose 3-0 and he comments that we knew how they were going to play, we should be good enough to win games like that.

Really sums up Town’s problems unfortunately to win games you have to score goals, doesn’t matter how many you let in as long as you score more than they do.

The reason we are where we are in the league has nothing to do with the defence we are incapable of scoring. We don’t create enough, nor do we convert enough chances.

Collectively they need a damned good shaking. I feel so sorry for PC but he must have seen games, and talked to others at Sky who have had the misfortune to draw the short straw and cover our games.

I really hope PC has got what it takes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Downes post match comments on 11:43 - Apr 14 with 2379 views66notout

I didn’t see any sign of Wimbledon lumping it up to two big blokes up front. They played my favourite type of football - winning - and outplayed us on the deck throughout.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 12:17]
Downes post match comments on 11:45 - Apr 14 with 2371 viewsSomethingBlue

It has a lot to do with the defence to be fair — yes there'd been some improvement in recent games against weak opposition but the fact is that if you subject us to any serious pressure we blow over with shocking ease.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Downes post match comments on 11:56 - Apr 14 with 2316 viewsIllinoisblue

I’m intrigued by him saying we should win easily at places like Wimbledon. Flynn, we’ve been sheeite for three years now. Nothing comes easily to us.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Downes post match comments on 12:10 - Apr 14 with 2285 viewsPhilTWTD

It wasn't complicated, was it? A few decent crosses into the box for two big strikers who bullied our centre-halves and they grabbed a couple of goals, and that was that even before the red card.
Downes post match comments on 12:16 - Apr 14 with 2215 viewsWD19

What is he supposed to say?

"Its very frustrating. Most of my teamates are not at my level and we keep getting turned over by jobbing teams in the 3rd division and made to look the complete mugs we are. I am sick of it."

Probably best to just stick to a few clichés and then go home to bed.
Downes post match comments on 12:20 - Apr 14 with 2191 viewsArnieM

Id suggest Downes comments illustrate that the PLAYERS are not good enough to carry out the manager's instructions.

Put it this way .Paul Cook has never had any problem with his squads until he took over Paul Lamberts bunch of losers. Enough Said !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Downes post match comments on 12:53 - Apr 14 with 2106 viewsBasuco

Downes post match comments on 11:43 - Apr 14 by 66notout

I didn’t see any sign of Wimbledon lumping it up to two big blokes up front. They played my favourite type of football - winning - and outplayed us on the deck throughout.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 12:17]

"Outplayed on the deck" as did MK Dons, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers for large parts of that game, which is a big concern for me about the Paul Cook style of play. If players are not being coached on passing drills are we going back to more long balls bypassing midfield? Hopefully this will not be the case.
Downes post match comments on 13:56 - Apr 14 with 1978 viewsJ2BLUE

He should just shut up. Especially saying that. If we had beaten a superior (on paper...) team like Wimbledon did us and one of their players came out with that we'd all be mocking them and rightfully so.

Shut up and do your talking on the pitch.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Downes post match comments on 13:59 - Apr 14 with 1951 viewsGuthrum

Downes post match comments on 11:45 - Apr 14 by SomethingBlue

It has a lot to do with the defence to be fair — yes there'd been some improvement in recent games against weak opposition but the fact is that if you subject us to any serious pressure we blow over with shocking ease.

I reckon it's because they know that, having made an error, the game is now almost certainly a loss. Given we only look likely to score when Norwood is a) on the pitch and b) in the mood.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

[Redacted] on 17:29 - Apr 14 with 1718 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Downes post match comments on 17:36 - Apr 14 with 1688 viewsBryanPlug

Downes post match comments on 12:10 - Apr 14 by PhilTWTD

It wasn't complicated, was it? A few decent crosses into the box for two big strikers who bullied our centre-halves and they grabbed a couple of goals, and that was that even before the red card.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Downes post match comments on 17:37 - Apr 14 with 1680 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Flynn is one of the few players that speaks with passion though

He said in that interview that he'd be getting no sleep that night because he was so p.ssed off with the loss. Guarantee no other player has said anything of the sort as they dont care

Not sure what else he's meant to say re being good enough to win games like that- do we expect him to come out and say we are sh*t
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 17:38]
Downes post match comments on 17:40 - Apr 14 with 1662 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Last night was a defensive horror show, which was coming.

If you continuously struggle to put teams under pressure, struggle to score goals and therefore struggle to be confident that you can actually beat your opponents, it becomes inevitable that as soon as there is a defensive error leading to a goal it will lead to a bit of a pummelling. Whoever you play.
Downes post match comments on 17:47 - Apr 14 with 1632 viewsSouperJim

Downes post match comments on 13:56 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

He should just shut up. Especially saying that. If we had beaten a superior (on paper...) team like Wimbledon did us and one of their players came out with that we'd all be mocking them and rightfully so.

Shut up and do your talking on the pitch.

He was wheeled out to do press duties. What's he supposed to say? Sorry but I can't actually comment because some bloke on the internet told me not to?

People on here picking over a young player trying to explain why the team are sh!te... give it a rest. Downes is some way down the list of players who deserve your criticism.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Downes post match comments on 17:56 - Apr 14 with 1596 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes post match comments on 17:47 - Apr 14 by SouperJim

He was wheeled out to do press duties. What's he supposed to say? Sorry but I can't actually comment because some bloke on the internet told me not to?

People on here picking over a young player trying to explain why the team are sh!te... give it a rest. Downes is some way down the list of players who deserve your criticism.

Who said not to comment? Just think he's gone way too strong there and his comments are laughable.

Truly impaired.

Downes post match comments on 17:58 - Apr 14 with 1589 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Downes post match comments on 17:56 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

Who said not to comment? Just think he's gone way too strong there and his comments are laughable.

What should he have said?
Downes post match comments on 18:13 - Apr 14 with 1546 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes post match comments on 11:45 - Apr 14 by SomethingBlue

We shouldn't do in the air with Toto. He should be mopping up pretty much everything coming into our box, but he didn't even get of the ground for the second. He didn't seem to know where he was - how do you get turned around 5 yards out? Lost his man for the 3rd too, but then a challenge should have come in long before then. They were not at the races defensively yesterday, which is actually unusual for us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Downes post match comments on 18:20 - Apr 14 with 1521 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes post match comments on 17:47 - Apr 14 by SouperJim

I'd like to think that he doesn't actually believe we should be winning easily. If that's the general attitude it probably explains a lot. It doesn't matter how big a team we're supposed to be in this league, the reality is we're here because we deserve to be and we have to earn the right to play and to win games.

Downes post match comments on 18:32 - Apr 14 with 1494 viewsSouperJim

Downes post match comments on 17:56 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

You did, you literally said he should shut up.

Downes post match comments on 18:39 - Apr 14 with 1474 viewsSouperJim

Downes post match comments on 18:20 - Apr 14 by Swansea_Blue

I'd like to think that he doesn't actually believe we should be winning easily. If that's the general attitude it probably explains a lot. It doesn't matter how big a team we're supposed to be in this league, the reality is we're here because we deserve to be and we have to earn the right to play and to win games.

I agree, I think he probably didn't really know what to say, so just said what he thinks would match the fans expectations. And he'd be right, a lot of your average Joe Ipswich fans would say we should be beating Wimbledon easily. I don't think that necessarily means there is a problem whereby the players think they should just be able to turn up and win because we're Ipswich.

As I said I think people are picking over some inconsequential comments made by a young player after a fairly humiliating defeat, who didn't really know what to say. I do also believe what Downes said in terms of it hurts him, so he probably deserves a bit of grace from us fans. He's one of the few bright sparks in a squad of dying embers.

Downes post match comments on 18:42 - Apr 14 with 1453 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes post match comments on 18:39 - Apr 14 by SouperJim

I agree, I think he probably didn't really know what to say, so just said what he thinks would match the fans expectations. And he'd be right, a lot of your average Joe Ipswich fans would say we should be beating Wimbledon easily. I don't think that necessarily means there is a problem whereby the players think they should just be able to turn up and win because we're Ipswich.

As I said I think people are picking over some inconsequential comments made by a young player after a fairly humiliating defeat, who didn't really know what to say. I do also believe what Downes said in terms of it hurts him, so he probably deserves a bit of grace from us fans. He's one of the few bright sparks in a squad of dying embers.

Yes, more than likely. I wasn't intending to over-analyse. I think you're right about expectation being an issue. A third season in L1 should hopefully get the message across that we don't deserve to go up just because of who we are. Mind you, we'll now have the expectation of serious spending by the new owners, so the cycle probably goes on.

Downes post match comments on 18:45 - Apr 14 with 1432 viewsPhilTWTD

Downes post match comments on 17:37 - Apr 14 by abracaDOBRA_

Flynn is one of the few players that speaks with passion though

He said in that interview that he'd be getting no sleep that night because he was so p.ssed off with the loss. Guarantee no other player has said anything of the sort as they dont care

Not sure what else he's meant to say re being good enough to win games like that- do we expect him to come out and say we are sh*t
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 17:38]

Worth also pointing out that he came out and spoke after a game like that. Those duties in those circumstances tend to get shared around the senior players, Chambo, Skuse, Ward, but he's one of the relative youngsters.
Downes post match comments on 18:50 - Apr 14 with 1390 viewsPhilTWTD

Downes post match comments on 17:36 - Apr 14 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Wasn't really meaning the goals specifically with that comment, but more generally.
Downes post match comments on 19:01 - Apr 14 with 1328 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes post match comments on 18:45 - Apr 14 by PhilTWTD

Worth also pointing out that he came out and spoke after a game like that. Those duties in those circumstances tend to get shared around the senior players, Chambo, Skuse, Ward, but he's one of the relative youngsters.

Fair point. That must be quite nervy for them.You forget how young they are as they look like men on the pitch. I've done a bit of media in the past and I was rubbish, so I respect the effort.

I was pleased Cook came out last night too (not like that Keno!). He said it himself that he was only there out of respect for the fans, and I think he needs to be. It helps us understand what he's about to see how he copes with nights like last night, and I thought he did pretty well. None of the delusions of Lambert, just straight up 'yes, this isn't good enough and this is what we need'. Hopefully we'll see him smiling in pressers in the not too distant futures.

Downes post match comments on 20:00 - Apr 14 with 1219 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes post match comments on 18:32 - Apr 14 by SouperJim

You did, you literally said he should shut up.

Fair point, didn't phrase it brilliantly. I know he has to say something but i'm tired of the big talk from the entire squad, especially after humiliating defeats. I think he's wrong to say we should be winning easily after losing 3-0 and it's not as if it was 0-0 until the red card. They were 2-0 up. I just think it's needless, arrogant and delusional.

I'm making a one off comment. It's not something I will hold against him!

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024