Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list 11:43 - Apr 14 with 7053 viewsStokieBlue

It sounds awful there at the moment with a new wave running totally out of control after the easing of restrictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-

This line is the one that is incredibly worrying though and I would think should mean India is on the red list until other countries can do some genome sequencing:

"Nightmare scenes of a country struggling to cope have begun to emerge as doctors speak of a new variant of the virus that appears to be spreading faster than ever before, affecting young people and even children this time around."

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised with severe symptoms."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 11:48 - Apr 14 with 4606 viewsStokieBlue

Ernie, really interested to know why that gets a downvote?

SB

I'm pretty sure it's because.... on 11:56 - Apr 14 with 4582 viewsBloots

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 11:48 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

SB

....he drives the fastest milkcart in the west.

(one for the kids there)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I'm pretty sure it's because.... on 12:04 - Apr 14 with 4563 viewsbluelagos

I'm pretty sure it's because.... on 11:56 - Apr 14 by Bloots

....he drives the fastest milkcart in the west.

(one for the kids there)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:07 - Apr 14 with 4539 viewsborge

We really, really should be closing our borders. As tough as that will be for many people, it makes no sense to have made the sacrifices we all have and have then had a very successful vaccination programme only to allow new variants from other countries.

At a minimum, as you say, India should be on the red list and if and when countries are added to the red list it should be immediate rather than allowing a sudden influx of people from that country into the UK.
Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:12 - Apr 14 with 4525 viewsWD19

Sounds very similar to Brazil.

Having being relatively calm, I am now exceedingly grateful my 1st jab is coming in a week or so. Fingers crossed it provides at least some cover for differing variants moving forward.
Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:16 - Apr 14 with 4521 viewsgiant_stow

A bit of cluster the south african variant has turned up in south london too. Might be about to find out for ourselves how good the vaccines are against that.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:17 - Apr 14 with 4516 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:12 - Apr 14 by WD19

Sounds very similar to Brazil.

Having being relatively calm, I am now exceedingly grateful my 1st jab is coming in a week or so. Fingers crossed it provides at least some cover for differing variants moving forward.

I think the concerning thing is that it's affecting younger people and children. That's quite a shift from standard C19 for these cohorts to be ending up in hospitals.

Can't wait for my jab either, I'll be in the next cohort they do.

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:18 - Apr 14 with 4514 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:07 - Apr 14 by borge

We really, really should be closing our borders. As tough as that will be for many people, it makes no sense to have made the sacrifices we all have and have then had a very successful vaccination programme only to allow new variants from other countries.

At a minimum, as you say, India should be on the red list and if and when countries are added to the red list it should be immediate rather than allowing a sudden influx of people from that country into the UK.

Might be a good time to think about having strict border controls, as I've heard there's a nasty virus circulating in China [nrvous].

It's funny isn't it how this government sold Brexit on taking back control of our borders, but when they need to do so they are utterly unwilling and/or incapable.

Border controls, a genuine enforced quarantine and working track and trace programme should have been the cornerstone of our preventative measures and all set up and working about 12 months ago (maybe a bit later on the testing as we needed to mobilise procurement). It's borderline criminal that we still haven't got round to implementing anything suitable.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:32 - Apr 14 with 4489 viewsgiant_stow

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:18 - Apr 14 by Swansea_Blue

Might be a good time to think about having strict border controls, as I've heard there's a nasty virus circulating in China [nrvous].

It's funny isn't it how this government sold Brexit on taking back control of our borders, but when they need to do so they are utterly unwilling and/or incapable.

Border controls, a genuine enforced quarantine and working track and trace programme should have been the cornerstone of our preventative measures and all set up and working about 12 months ago (maybe a bit later on the testing as we needed to mobilise procurement). It's borderline criminal that we still haven't got round to implementing anything suitable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56726553

probably caused by one bod coming in from South Africa. Just one - can closed borders evenb work, unless they're truely closed completely?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:39 - Apr 14 with 4475 viewsChurchman

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:32 - Apr 14 by giant_stow

probably caused by one bod coming in from South Africa. Just one - can closed borders evenb work, unless they're truely closed completely?

I don’t think they can tbh. What I do think is that not relaxing restrictions in the country and at the border until everyone is vaccinated might be a smart move. I hope the companies are working on next gen booster vaccines too.
Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:52 - Apr 14 with 4450 viewsgainsboroughblue

It seems worrying what certain other parts of the world's response has been to this. Ok, we've had our fair share of people over here flouting rules and regulations but by and large, people and authorities have bought into things and put in measures and obeyed restrictions.

I recall watching the test series in India recently where crowds were present and noticed there was next to no social distancing in place. Just makes you wonder what attitudes and resources are like elsewhere. We can only control what we are doing in this country but in terms of the pandemic itself ending, it seems a long way off yet.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 15:40 - Apr 14 with 4324 viewsPinewoodblue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 11:48 - Apr 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Sorry downvoted in error, meant to click and see who Ernie was.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 17:23 - Apr 14 with 4255 viewslightuser

The problem for India is that this wave has come just as there are a bunch of state elections coming up with all of the huge rallies that that entails and the BJP for all it's nationalist/religious crack-pottery cannot suspend them for obvious reasons.

On top of this, the country was basically almost back into almost normal pre-covid mode, allowing all of the religious festivals (see the Ganges "dunk-a-thon" above), crowds at sports events etc.

Added to this is a slow and patchy vaccination rollout and a huge population.

This wave has caught them unexpectedly and at the "wrong" time.

There are many states doing night curfews, but I don't expect full curfews until after the elections which will be too late (and polling itself will be another super-spreader event).

It's going to be messy here again for the next few months.

To be put on the red list would be a sensible decision. IMO
Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 17:47 - Apr 14 with 4229 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Does this suggest they have finally learnt to count!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 17:54 - Apr 14 with 4207 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:32 - Apr 14 by giant_stow

That's a good question and I think the answer in most cases is yes. Other countries have managed it, and then when they have a single breach they've tracked that breach down and nipped the spread in the bud. BUT, that tends to be in countries where freight will be coming in unaccompanied (e.g. Australia). With so much coming in by road into the UK, that's going to be a major point of weakness. Personal and business travel can be done, road transport not so much.

It's worth trying to be strict where we can be though imo, rather than open house.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 18:13 - Apr 14 with 4193 viewspointofblue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 12:07 - Apr 14 by borge

Agreed. It was rightly pointed out how much money tourism brings into the country but close the borders, restrict people to staycations, open up businesses and the money saved from furlough etc. can they be put into the travel industry.

Clear guidance and closure is needed; not red, yellow and green which means little as variants can spread before people realise.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 18:18 - Apr 14 with 4183 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Can anyone see the whole of this article...heard it alluded to on R4, is it more bad news about the longevity of the vaccine effectiveness?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/covid-antibody-levels-fall-over-70s-

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 20:02 - Apr 14 with 4104 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 18:18 - Apr 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can anyone see the whole of this article...heard it alluded to on R4, is it more bad news about the longevity of the vaccine effectiveness?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/covid-antibody-levels-fall-over-70s-

Thanks for sending the article Ullaa, looks like they are hedging their bets.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 10:50 - Apr 15 with 3940 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 17:47 - Apr 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Does this suggest they have finally learnt to count!

I think all the numbers are probably misleading at this point, excess deaths data is the only way to compare countries although I'm not really sure there is much point comparing either.

We know it's bad, it's just a matter of how bad.

India logged over 200,000 new infections yesterday, a huge number regardless of anything else. Scenes like this really aren't going to help either:

At least it's outside which is something but a lot of those people are going to then go inside for large family meals afterwards.

It's a timebomb there at the moment and given the population size it's a prime breeding ground for a nasty new variant.

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 13:34 - Apr 15 with 3882 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 10:50 - Apr 15 by StokieBlue

I think all the numbers are probably misleading at this point, excess deaths data is the only way to compare countries although I'm not really sure there is much point comparing either.

We know it's bad, it's just a matter of how bad.

India logged over 200,000 new infections yesterday, a huge number regardless of anything else. Scenes like this really aren't going to help either:

At least it's outside which is something but a lot of those people are going to then go inside for large family meals afterwards.

It's a timebomb there at the moment and given the population size it's a prime breeding ground for a nasty new variant.

SB

Yup....this one has me worried!
I saw a great piece about how on top of the situation the communist government in Kerala has been btw.
Here's something similar...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/the-coronavirus-slayer-how-keralas

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:02 - Apr 15 with 3800 viewsLord_Lucan

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 13:34 - Apr 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yup....this one has me worried!
I saw a great piece about how on top of the situation the communist government in Kerala has been btw.
Here's something similar...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/the-coronavirus-slayer-how-keralas

I posted a couple of days ago that another big problem right now is that it's flock to the Ganges time - millions and milions and millions of them all going for a non social distanced dip in a polluted river and a lot of those are going for a dip in the belief that it will cure their underlying health problems.

We have some chaps in India who look after our SEO and our Google ad campaigns and I just contacted them about a zoom call but chief bod just said "Bad news, my mother in law and and my business partners mother has passed away due to vaccine"

I just asked if he meant Covid or vaccine but he replied back and said vaccine.

Not sure what they took or whatever, I'll report back if I get an answer.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:05 - Apr 15 with 3794 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:02 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

I posted a couple of days ago that another big problem right now is that it's flock to the Ganges time - millions and milions and millions of them all going for a non social distanced dip in a polluted river and a lot of those are going for a dip in the belief that it will cure their underlying health problems.

We have some chaps in India who look after our SEO and our Google ad campaigns and I just contacted them about a zoom call but chief bod just said "Bad news, my mother in law and and my business partners mother has passed away due to vaccine"

I just asked if he meant Covid or vaccine but he replied back and said vaccine.

Not sure what they took or whatever, I'll report back if I get an answer.

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Given the chances of clots are mainly in younger people and even then it's in very small numbers the probability that he would know two people who died due to vaccine complications is virtually zero.

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:16 - Apr 15 with 3778 viewsLord_Lucan

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:05 - Apr 15 by StokieBlue

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Given the chances of clots are mainly in younger people and even then it's in very small numbers the probability that he would know two people who died due to vaccine complications is virtually zero.

SB

Not disagreeing - and I don't know what vaccines they are taking and I am not suggesting it's AZ.

And I don't know what the genuine thoughts are with people from different countries around the world.

Wouldn't surprise me though if certain governments might eventually lay some blame on vaccines rather than Covid - just a wild thought at the moment.

I have though always thought from day 1 that India is the big disastrous melting pot which saddens me as I have a real genuine affection for the Indian people.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:20 - Apr 15 with 3772 viewshype313

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:16 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

Not disagreeing - and I don't know what vaccines they are taking and I am not suggesting it's AZ.

And I don't know what the genuine thoughts are with people from different countries around the world.

Wouldn't surprise me though if certain governments might eventually lay some blame on vaccines rather than Covid - just a wild thought at the moment.

I have though always thought from day 1 that India is the big disastrous melting pot which saddens me as I have a real genuine affection for the Indian people.

I was of the understanding that they are rolling out AZ over there as they have a huge production facility, which is why we had 5m on hold rather than expected.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:31 - Apr 15 with 3744 viewsLord_Lucan

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list on 19:20 - Apr 15 by hype313

I was of the understanding that they are rolling out AZ over there as they have a huge production facility, which is why we had 5m on hold rather than expected.

As I say, I dunno.

Bloke has read the whatsapp but hasn't got back, don't expect him to now until next week.

Looking at their official stats the infection rates now are like a sales graph at a pyramid selling convention - and although I don't believe anything of their previous figures I'm surprised that we didn't hear of earlier disasters as unlike the Chinese the Indians have digital freedom.

Maybe they had a calmer strain on the first wave as I think it's pretty clear that Europe got an initial humdinger.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024