Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jerry Thorpe 09:35 - Apr 15 with 4402 viewsPhilTWTD

Sadly read last night that Jerry died yesterday. I know a lot of people on here knew him. RIP Jerry. He had been ill for a while if anyone was unaware and had been raising funds for MND charities.

Town Fan and Local Footballer Thorpe Raising Funds For MND Charities 4th Feb 2021 16:19
Town fan and well-known local footballer Jerry Thorpe is raising funds for MND charities and seeking to raise awareness about the disease with which he was diagnosed in October 2019. 4

This post has been edited by an administrator
Jerry Thorpe on 09:42 - Apr 15 with 4295 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Had the pleasure of playing with him and against him. RIP Jerry.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Jerry Thorpe on 09:53 - Apr 15 with 4202 viewsartsbossbeard

Top man is Jerry. Big, big shame.

Jerry had the pleasure of playing against me when I had the game of my life. Saw him in the pub a couple of weeks later, pointed to my pocket and comically said "thought you were still in here, Jerry". He didn't find it funny at the time but laughed about it later on.

Played with his lad Ben at Ipswich Postals too.

Big, big shame.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Jerry Thorpe on 10:45 - Apr 15 with 4025 viewsGunnsAirkick

Very sad news, a real local football person.
Jerry Thorpe on 10:48 - Apr 15 with 3989 viewsRomeo4

Thanks Phil. Very sad news. What a horrible illness it is. RIP Jerry.
Jerry Thorpe on 10:49 - Apr 15 with 3989 viewstextbackup

Massive Town and Spurs fan.

Told me of when he managed to get in amongst a load of norwich by telling the policeman his Spurs badge was actually a canary... all hell broke loose after!

Lovely bloke and thoughts go out to his family, especially Ben who I’ve know as long as I can remember

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Jerry Thorpe on 10:51 - Apr 15 with 3958 viewsSwansea_Blue

B@stard disease. Just awful.

RIP.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jerry Thorpe on 10:53 - Apr 15 with 3951 viewsBlueAlex

What a sad loss. MND is just so awful. I can see the link to his fundraising site in the other article but perhaps if it were on this thread as well then it would be easier for anyone wishing to donate to do so. It's been encouraging to read of some positive recent progress in MND research so definitely a worthwhile cause.
Jerry Thorpe on 11:08 - Apr 15 with 3858 viewsITFC_Forever

That is sad news.... I didn't know him well, but have a couple of stories about him.

Leeds away, September 2000. It was the height of the petrol strikes and although me and mates had tickets, we had no way of getting to Leeds as there was no petrol anywhere and the trains were eye-wateringly expensive as the train companies cashed in. Thankfully, Carling laid on free coaches to fans of Prem sides with the furthest to travel, Ipswich's trip to Leeds being one of them. Jerry and his lad sat with us on the coach and were fantastic company all day.

A few years later, I was secretary of our LTL Sunday League side, as was Jerry for his, and he would always beckon me over to sit with him and Kevin Beattie.

We played on an adjoining pitch to his side at Copleston High School one Sunday morning, and his team's opposition were giving the young ref (16 at most) a very hard time. Jerry saw this and at the end of the game didn't leave the ref's side until he had left the premises to protect him from any further intimidation or bullying.

RIP Jerry.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Jerry Thorpe on 11:10 - Apr 15 with 3817 viewsPhilTWTD

Jerry Thorpe on 10:53 - Apr 15 by BlueAlex

What a sad loss. MND is just so awful. I can see the link to his fundraising site in the other article but perhaps if it were on this thread as well then it would be easier for anyone wishing to donate to do so. It's been encouraging to read of some positive recent progress in MND research so definitely a worthwhile cause.

Link here: https://jerrythorpemnd.org/
Jerry Thorpe on 11:17 - Apr 15 with 3753 viewsdominiciawful

Rest in peace, Jerry. Very sad news.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Jerry Thorpe on 13:12 - Apr 15 with 3505 viewsBlueandTruesince82

How sad, not someone I know or indeed knew of but MND is a terrible affliction. Hope this raises awareness of it.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Jerry Thorpe on 13:21 - Apr 15 with 3449 viewsBlueStreak

RIP Jerry - very much loved at Coplestonians and a difficult day for a lot of ex team mates, colleagues and drinking partners.
Jerry Thorpe on 13:26 - Apr 15 with 3401 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very sad. R.I.P Jerry.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jerry Thorpe on 14:19 - Apr 15 with 3239 viewsLord_Lucan

My favourite memory was once when we were on a Moonshiners.

A Moonshiners is a jolly boys day out from Newton Rd Conservative Club of which we were both members. A coach would pull up at 9am and we would be taken to a mystery park or similar before heading to a pub around midday. Aside from the Moonshiners committee no one knew where we were going to end up. Once we arrived at the park we would set up tables and put all the food and drink on them before getting stuck in to ham and cress sandwiches and Gin and Tonics.

They were fantastic days out.

One morning we ended up at Needham Lakes and come 11.30 the committee was having trouble getting everyone to start packing up in order to go to the pub. It was a barmy hot day and there were families everywhere. The men were walking past with envious looks and the women were looking and snarling thinking "What a load of idiots". The kids were just bemused

Anyhoo, Jerry stood on a chair and bashed a metal tray with a wooden spoon and bellowed...........

"Fellow peadophiles, can we all have a tidy up and board the coach where we will carry on to the designated public house for further refreshments and lunch"
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 14:28]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jerry Thorpe on 19:20 - Apr 15 with 2805 viewsstiff_talking

Jerry Thorpe on 14:19 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

My favourite memory was once when we were on a Moonshiners.

A Moonshiners is a jolly boys day out from Newton Rd Conservative Club of which we were both members. A coach would pull up at 9am and we would be taken to a mystery park or similar before heading to a pub around midday. Aside from the Moonshiners committee no one knew where we were going to end up. Once we arrived at the park we would set up tables and put all the food and drink on them before getting stuck in to ham and cress sandwiches and Gin and Tonics.

They were fantastic days out.

One morning we ended up at Needham Lakes and come 11.30 the committee was having trouble getting everyone to start packing up in order to go to the pub. It was a barmy hot day and there were families everywhere. The men were walking past with envious looks and the women were looking and snarling thinking "What a load of idiots". The kids were just bemused

Anyhoo, Jerry stood on a chair and bashed a metal tray with a wooden spoon and bellowed...........

"Fellow peadophiles, can we all have a tidy up and board the coach where we will carry on to the designated public house for further refreshments and lunch"
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 14:28]

I played with Jerry up front for Needham Market under Jimmy Fitzgerald, with Infamous Spotty Brown, Gus Cutting and Martin Bennett

He was a wonderful guy and will be dearly missed !
Jerry Thorpe on 19:28 - Apr 15 with 2771 viewsbluebudgie

RIP Jerry mate. We went back a long time to the halcyon days of Bobby Robson and meeting and drinking in the Falcon and seeing him at various away escapades! He is featured on BBC match of the day opening credits for the FA cup when the camera zoomed in on him. Thoughts are with the family. Thanks, Phil for letting us know.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 19:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024