Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don’t think the players are the problem 23:15 - Apr 15 with 1699 viewsDarth_Koont

OK, certainly collectively they are. But I can’t quite understand making definitive judgements about individuals not being good enough.

Surely if we’ve followed Ipswich long enough – and football generally – we know that some players perform much better or much worse depending on the team as a whole.

Hell, we had our best season in 30-odd years when the players all played better and reached a higher level than any of them ever played before or afterwards. What does that say about them as individuals apart from that they needed to be in the right team with the right manager?

I like to think that Cook knows that more than anyone else based on successive promotions. So yeah, as a side point, anyone criticising Cook now, based on him inheriting an obvious non-team, is a bit of a div.

Pronouns: He/Him

I don’t think the players are the problem on 23:19 - Apr 15 with 1640 viewsBonchosBicycle

Some teams become better than the sum of their parts. We seem to have been somehow less than the sum of our parts for the last few years. I have little doubt that many of our current players could do well in different teams.
I don’t think the players are the problem on 23:43 - Apr 15 with 1537 viewsHARRY10

There does seem to be some kind of collective 'malaise'.

We started te season quite well, then it seemed to fall apart, with the blame resting solely on Lambert.

His comments about the club not functioning well were backed by his comparisons to other clubs he had been with. Unfortunately some chose to see this as bragging, rather than him qualifying those remarks.

However the thought was it was all his fault, and with another manager 'the best squad in the league' would soon be flying.

Yet 10 games under the manager most wanted by supporters, and things are even worse. Maybe when a number of players have left this summer we may get some insight into this, as clearly something has been up.
I don’t think the players are the problem on 00:01 - Apr 16 with 1470 viewsjeera

I don’t think the players are the problem on 23:43 - Apr 15 by HARRY10

We started te season quite well, then it seemed to fall apart, with the blame resting solely on Lambert.

His comments about the club not functioning well were backed by his comparisons to other clubs he had been with. Unfortunately some chose to see this as bragging, rather than him qualifying those remarks.

However the thought was it was all his fault, and with another manager 'the best squad in the league' would soon be flying.

Yet 10 games under the manager most wanted by supporters, and things are even worse. Maybe when a number of players have left this summer we may get some insight into this, as clearly something has been up.

It is a cultural thing Harry. It's easy to say it isn't it but when you consider the man Cook came in full of optimism and a smile on his face...

He had a good attitude and tried to connect with the players, he worked with them and even made allowances diverging from his own preferred set up to try to accommodate them.

He's run out of patience. It dawned on him he's wasting his time with them and they have got to go.

In truth I bet there's not a thing anyone can put their finger on. People can say Mick this, Hurst that, Lambert's a prick etc. And some of it is true.

But the point is this has been building for years and credit to the guy for drawing a line under it so soon and identifying what needs to be done.

Get them out nice and early to make room and hopefully get the replacements in early enough to build something decent for next year.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I don’t think the players are the problem on 00:21 - Apr 16 with 1442 viewsDarth_Koont

I don’t think the players are the problem on 23:43 - Apr 15 by HARRY10

I don’t think it’s worse. It’s people realising there’s no switch to flip.

I’d let Cook get on with a job that we should realise is massive.

Pronouns: He/Him

I don’t think the players are the problem on 04:20 - Apr 16 with 1274 viewsIllinoisblue

I don’t think the players are the problem on 00:01 - Apr 16 by jeera

It is a cultural thing Harry. It's easy to say it isn't it but when you consider the man Cook came in full of optimism and a smile on his face...

He had a good attitude and tried to connect with the players, he worked with them and even made allowances diverging from his own preferred set up to try to accommodate them.

He's run out of patience. It dawned on him he's wasting his time with them and they have got to go.

In truth I bet there's not a thing anyone can put their finger on. People can say Mick this, Hurst that, Lambert's a prick etc. And some of it is true.

But the point is this has been building for years and credit to the guy for drawing a line under it so soon and identifying what needs to be done.

Get them out nice and early to make room and hopefully get the replacements in early enough to build something decent for next year.

Indeed. This is years of criminal neglect and mismanagement at all levels coming home to roost.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I don’t think the players are the problem on 07:48 - Apr 16 with 966 viewsChurchman

I don’t think the players are the problem on 04:20 - Apr 16 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. This is years of criminal neglect and mismanagement at all levels coming home to roost.

This is correct. The problems go all the way back to Sheepshanks bankrupting the club. We’ve been declining ever since on and off the field. Looking back, Royle and McCarthy did well to defy gravity for four or five seasons between them, but there’s an inevitability about where we have got to.

I would say that the team and the squad are just one of the problems. However, just thinking about the players, it all feels wrong. There is no spine to the team, no shape and the key players are just not good enough. If you looked at McCarthy’s best team, I never liked Chambers at fullback much as he’s a centre half, but when you had solid players in Smith and Berra in the middle and a fullback in say Mings the other side plus a decent goalkeeper, it was ok. GBs teams, even better. A proper balanced, recognisable team from front to back that was as the OP talked about, better than the sum of its very recognisable parts.

I am hoping that’s what we get back to in time. A team that looks like one. A lot of the current players are not Championship standard, which is what we need, and are collectively far worse. There are too many eking out the last bits of their career. You can afford the odd bit of experience, but they need to have been good players like Wark and Mowbray were. Others are just not going to make it or are not up to it.

To be given the runaround, a soft touch, easy meat by so many teams is ridiculous. Playing people like Peterborough wondering how many we will lose by is not on. Fingers crossed the change roaring through all of the club sets us up for something better. We deserve it, regardless of what the likes of Sutton and that annoying berk on Sky think.
I don’t think the players are the problem on 08:40 - Apr 16 with 824 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I really do think the whole thing goes significantly deeper in the club, beyond the players if you will.
14 years of decline does something to the soul of a club, and there will be a large number of wider staff, that stopped giving a fk years ago.

Once you hit that level of demoralisation, its hard, if not impossible to reverse. I really do thing the player turnover this summer will be joined by massive turnover in coaching staff and in ancillary stadium staff too.

The whole club is a mess, and it'll take Cook and Ashton every bit of skill they possess, and we are going to have to face the fact, it may take more than one season.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I don’t think the players are the problem on 08:47 - Apr 16 with 780 viewsVic

It’s really what a hurst ride to do isn’t it - but he made the fatal mistake of underestimating the championship and thinking league one players would be able to step up and cut the mustard en masse. He then compounded his mistake by losing the respect of the established players that he’d kept.

Hopefully Cook is a better judge of players and a better man management.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

I don’t think the players are the problem on 09:21 - Apr 16 with 699 viewsBent_double

Seems to me that Cook is getting to do what Hurst and Lambert would have loved to do, but never had the backing of ME, either because ME didn't agree or trust them to do it, or refused to foot the bill to carry out such a wholesale clearout.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I don’t think the players are the problem on 09:24 - Apr 16 with 684 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It's the collective mentality, I think some players do go elsewhere and do well, but they seem to have just given up together, it's 13 years of bad karma built up but inexcusable.

I can forgive players losing form ifn they are trying to get it back, putting their hearts into games. V few ate giving it even 50% And its for that reason they are gettingbso much stick.

To change the mentality you have to break up the group

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024