Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs 09:01 - Apr 16 with 2227 viewsGlasgowBlue

With 18 points left to play for, ever publicly chucked in the towel as we appear to have done?

Completely support the moves that the club is making to clear out the dead wood and as I said on Wednesday, I’d drop the lot of them and play the youths.

But what a sorry state we are that with six games left the owners and manager have zero faith in any of this lot putting a few performances together to get us up to a higher league.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:02 - Apr 16 with 2201 viewstextbackup

Long time coming isn’t it. We’ll probably win tomorrow and still be on the edge of seats

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:04 - Apr 16 with 2174 viewshype313

It's shocking really, but we can't score, simple as that and I don't think anyone can really envisage us taking out any of the top 6 out in a gunfight.

Shouldn't be like this, but this is a culminating of years of bad practice and mismanagement, sometimes it's better to play the long game.

At least this gives Cook a really good run at identifying targets and area's of the team that need surgery (the whole body) and can plan for next season with his blueprint ready for the new campaign.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 9:04]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:12 - Apr 16 with 2109 viewsHerbivore

On the flip side though how many sides have been 5 points outside the play offs with 6 games left to play and managed to actually finish top 6? How many of those sides achieved that when in the kind of form we've been in for most of the season, bar the opening 6 games?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:13 - Apr 16 with 2096 viewsPinewoodblue

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:04 - Apr 16 by hype313

It's shocking really, but we can't score, simple as that and I don't think anyone can really envisage us taking out any of the top 6 out in a gunfight.

Shouldn't be like this, but this is a culminating of years of bad practice and mismanagement, sometimes it's better to play the long game.

At least this gives Cook a really good run at identifying targets and area's of the team that need surgery (the whole body) and can plan for next season with his blueprint ready for the new campaign.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 9:04]

PC will be judged by the effectiveness of the players he brings in and not by the ineffectiveness of those he gets rid.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:13 - Apr 16 with 2088 viewsChurchman

Even if we scraped a win or three and slithered into 6th, we’d stand no chance of progressing through the play offs. Better to face reality and get in with what needs to be done. It feels like an age until next season, but it’s less than four months so I think it’s good crack on with it.

Sad that we’ve reached this state, as you say.
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:19 - Apr 16 with 2038 viewsPinewoodblue

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:13 - Apr 16 by Churchman

Even if we scraped a win or three and slithered into 6th, we’d stand no chance of progressing through the play offs. Better to face reality and get in with what needs to be done. It feels like an age until next season, but it’s less than four months so I think it’s good crack on with it.

If we got to the play offs would we keep clean sheets and go out on penalties.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:34 - Apr 16 with 1949 viewspeterleeblue

Unlikely I know. But at last some decisive action that might jumpstart a few out of their slumbers and realise the perilous state of their footballing futures.
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:01 - Apr 16 with 1859 viewstractorshark

When I posted a few months back that Evans and Lambert weren’t just the problem at the club, the players were also not as good as people think, I was told any manager worth his salt could get a tune out of this squad, given the quality it has.
But that’s clearly not true.
Personally I would have had the Cowleys over Cook but I don’t think either could have worked miracles with a squad that is injury prone, lacks quality and, in some quarters, plainly doesn’t give a toss.
I’m sure the players know the writing is on the wall. Cook has probably read the riot act more than once and the takeover has just confirmed what’s coming.
But the complete lack of professionalism and effort in certain players is bewildering.
Surely you give 100 per cent because you want to secure your future either at Ipswich or somewhere else.
Totally agree with the OP’s comment about chucking in the towel.
At best, it shows a naivety that an abundance of offers will be coming round the corner from other clubs. At worst, it highlights a complete lack of respect to the club that has paid them decent wages for very little return and to the fans who have lauded them for far too long.
Login to get fewer ads

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:06 - Apr 16 with 1825 viewsHerbivore

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:13 - Apr 16 by Churchman

We likely need to win all of our remaining games to make the play offs now given our inferior goal difference and that some sides above us have played fewer games. It's just not going to happen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:08 - Apr 16 with 1813 viewspointofblue

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:06 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

We likely need to win all of our remaining games to make the play offs now given our inferior goal difference and that some sides above us have played fewer games. It's just not going to happen.

Actually it probably will - and then we’ll get to Wembley only to lose on penalties, thus throwing doubt into the summer overhaul or whether the players just needed a massive kick up the backside.

It’ll be the banter era’s parting gift to us.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:18 - Apr 16 with 1782 viewsjayessess

I'm not so sure this qualifies as "throwing in the towel". Our performances don't vary much when we alter personnel, so I don't really see that a team that omits players who are definitely leaving would be substantially weaker.

Is Holy; Kenlock, Woolf, (Someone), KVY; Dozzell, Downes; Lankester, Dobra, (Someone); Norwood really any weaker than what we put out Tuesday?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:27 - Apr 16 with 1752 viewsgetawig

You could ask has there ever been a poorer team this close to the playoffs at this stage of the season
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:32 - Apr 16 with 1724 viewsitfc_bucks

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:19 - Apr 16 by Pinewoodblue

If we got to the play offs would we keep clean sheets and go out on penalties.

Sorry, did you see Wimbledon (fvck*ng WIMBLEDON!) stick 3 past us, the other night?

Clean sheets and penalties!?
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:35 - Apr 16 with 1692 viewsjayessess

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:18 - Apr 16 by jayessess

I'm not so sure this qualifies as "throwing in the towel". Our performances don't vary much when we alter personnel, so I don't really see that a team that omits players who are definitely leaving would be substantially weaker.

Is Holy; Kenlock, Woolf, (Someone), KVY; Dozzell, Downes; Lankester, Dobra, (Someone); Norwood really any weaker than what we put out Tuesday?

Scratch this, definitely sounds like he's thrown in the towel!

Talking about the whole 18 from Tuesday, I think you'd struggle to put out an 11.

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:42 - Apr 16 with 1655 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The thing is though we have been 2-5 points off the play offs basically all season. The players do not have the mentality to push for it - and to be honest, we all know even if we did get in the Play-Offs - there is no way we would beat any of the other teams in there. So it's not a surprise for Cook to consider it over.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:53 - Apr 16 with 1615 viewseireblue

I don’t like to think of gaps in terms of points at this stage.

There are 3 teams we have to do better than. Lincoln seem to be on a bad run.

But Oxford and Charlton?

The message from PC today, maybe the incentive to whoever plays tomorrow, to put in a performance and grab points from Charlton.

No reason to suppose that the team from Tuesday is capable of that.

So I don’t see it as chucking in the towel, metaphorically, he has had enough of the flannel from the current towel, and is hoping that what comes next is more absorbant and can clean up ‘til the end of the season.

Crikey I had to go some to work that analogy.
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:54 - Apr 16 with 1603 viewsKeno

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:53 - Apr 16 by eireblue

I don’t like to think of gaps in terms of points at this stage.

There are 3 teams we have to do better than. Lincoln seem to be on a bad run.

But Oxford and Charlton?

The message from PC today, maybe the incentive to whoever plays tomorrow, to put in a performance and grab points from Charlton.

No reason to suppose that the team from Tuesday is capable of that.

So I don’t see it as chucking in the towel, metaphorically, he has had enough of the flannel from the current towel, and is hoping that what comes next is more absorbant and can clean up ‘til the end of the season.

Crikey I had to go some to work that analogy.

I just hope we wipe the floor with Charlton

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 11:05 - Apr 16 with 1568 viewseireblue

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 10:54 - Apr 16 by Keno

I just hope we wipe the floor with Charlton

Darn missed one, I thought I had really mopped up with that one.
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 11:07 - Apr 16 with 1557 viewsKeno

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 11:05 - Apr 16 by eireblue

Darn missed one, I thought I had really mopped up with that one.

I thought at first you had squeegee'd them all out

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 11:57 - Apr 16 with 1429 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 09:12 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

On the flip side though how many sides have been 5 points outside the play offs with 6 games left to play and managed to actually finish top 6? How many of those sides achieved that when in the kind of form we've been in for most of the season, bar the opening 6 games?

Just from a quick search. Milwall got promoted via the play-offs in 2016-17 after being 3 points off 6th (7th) with 6 games to go.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/01-april-2017/

Useful tool if anyone wants to go further back.

Poll: Final points total?

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 12:30 - Apr 16 with 1379 viewseireblue

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 11:57 - Apr 16 by TractorBoyOlly

Just from a quick search. Milwall got promoted via the play-offs in 2016-17 after being 3 points off 6th (7th) with 6 games to go.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/01-april-2017/

Useful tool if anyone wants to go further back.

Sometimes stats are a bit dry, but a cloth look at the last few years shows there is not a thread of evidence that a 9th place team can buff themselves up, soak up the pressure, and slip into the playoffs.
Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 12:41 - Apr 16 with 1344 viewsjayessess

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 12:30 - Apr 16 by eireblue

Sometimes stats are a bit dry, but a cloth look at the last few years shows there is not a thread of evidence that a 9th place team can buff themselves up, soak up the pressure, and slip into the playoffs.

From 1st April to end of season
2010 - Huddersfield 7th, 3 points off
2011 - Top 6 same
2012 - Stevenage 8th, 5 points off (wahey!)
2013 - Top 6 same
2014 - Top 6 same
2015 - Top 6 same
2016 - Barnsley 7th, 2 points off
2017 - Millwall 7th, 3 points off
2018 - Charlton 8th, 2 points off
2019 - Top 6 same

Stevenage, the only near precedent in the last decade.

Has there ever been a team 5 points off the play offs on 12:43 - Apr 16 with 1325 viewschicoazul

This implies that there is hope these players could suddenly start to do what they haven’t done at the business end of the season for 3 years and go on a winning run.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024