Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well, this isn’t depressing ... 12:04 - Apr 16 with 2111 viewsDarth_Koont

The unwavering support for the Conservatives around 40-45% seems almost Trump Republican.

Crumb of comfort: I’ve never seen the Greens as high as that. Cement that and they could have a UKIP effect on mainstream politics but as a force for good.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:39 - Apr 16 with 1993 viewsGunnsAirkick

No dressing it up, that is an appalling poll for Labour.

I'm very wary of polls in general, the Local Elections and Hartlepool will be a better barometer I think.

Starmer does seem to have gone on the attack more this week and whilst I don't agree with all of your assessment of him, I agree that he is perceived as being weak by a lot of people for not attacking the Government enough.

I think this poll also highlights the dire need for some sort of alliance with the all the parties to the left of the Tories and Reform (all getting behind PR).
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 12:41]
Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:48 - Apr 16 with 1949 viewsCoastalblue

You would hope that in a sane world support for the Greens and possibly other parties with similar alignments would progressively grow over time.

Hopefully the political landscape will change dramatically over the next decade, though I shan't be holding my breath.

You would think there is probably a generation of die hard Tory voters who will be disappearing over the next few years and maybe replaced with a somewhat more enlightened group. Wishful thinking probably.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:49 - Apr 16 with 1942 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:39 - Apr 16 by GunnsAirkick

No dressing it up, that is an appalling poll for Labour.

I'm very wary of polls in general, the Local Elections and Hartlepool will be a better barometer I think.

Starmer does seem to have gone on the attack more this week and whilst I don't agree with all of your assessment of him, I agree that he is perceived as being weak by a lot of people for not attacking the Government enough.

I think this poll also highlights the dire need for some sort of alliance with the all the parties to the left of the Tories and Reform (all getting behind PR).
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 12:41]

Agree absolutely with your last point.

With Boris et al controlling the narrative and pulling the strings behind the culture war at will, then there needs to be a compelling alternative. A progressive alliance standing for PR and a genuine green restructuring and investment in our economy would be a very effective message against the Tories and tap into the disillusionment and disenfranchisement out in the regions as well as among the young and minorities.

The current Labour powers-that-be would never cede control though. But maybe they won’t have that control much longer the way things are going.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 12:50]

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:53 - Apr 16 with 1913 viewsChurchman

I’m surprised, but we live in unparalleled times. Once things return to normal, the failures of the current regime will be fully back in focus and I think things will close up. It’s got too, surely.
Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:59 - Apr 16 with 1886 viewsSouperJim

Unfortunately Labour are almost completely invisible at the moment. Starmer has been leader for a year but half the country probably couldn't even name him.

It's the Tories to lose and right now they are complete teflon. I think Boris could probably curl one out on Philip's fresh grave next week and it would barely even register amongst the electorate. The disaster capitalists are having a field day.

It'll take a couple of years for the economic impact of Brexit + Covid to fully start to bite, then we'll have some chance of a meaningful political debate again, but right now we're screwed.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:01]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:00 - Apr 16 with 1885 viewsKeno

Yes!!

The LibDem fight back has started. Davey for PM

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:02 - Apr 16 with 1871 viewsSomethingBlue

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 12:53 - Apr 16 by Churchman

I’m surprised, but we live in unparalleled times. Once things return to normal, the failures of the current regime will be fully back in focus and I think things will close up. It’s got too, surely.

Not sure they will — the public are having an absolute number done on them and the roots are extending very deep. It's quite terrifying.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:05 - Apr 16 with 1853 views26_Paz

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:09 - Apr 16 with 1837 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:02 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Not sure they will — the public are having an absolute number done on them and the roots are extending very deep. It's quite terrifying.

Yep. It’s like having Trump in power but with a broadly supportive (or at least not overly critical) media.

And playing out the culture war whenever they need to re-assert their narrative.

In a FPTP system it’s a divide and conquer strategy that’s given them a stranglehold on England.

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:14 - Apr 16 with 1823 viewslowhouseblue

the greens have been higher than that on occasion in the past.

what we're seeing is people expressing support for the government during a national emergency - an emergency in which the mood music has finally turned more positive. it is an awful time to be an opposition. a lot of people want the reassurance and security of things getting better and division is simply not welcomed. it isn't normal party politics - it's something much more basic and atavistic. it's the job of opposition to oppose, but lots of people don't want that at the moment and simply don't want to hear bad stuff. we're still in a national lockdown most people aren't interested in party politics.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:14]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:20 - Apr 16 with 1793 viewsKeno

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:05 - Apr 16 by 26_Paz

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:30]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:20 - Apr 16 with 1792 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:14 - Apr 16 by lowhouseblue

what we're seeing is people expressing support for the government during a national emergency - an emergency in which the mood music has finally turned more positive. it is an awful time to be an opposition. a lot of people want the reassurance and security of things getting better and division is simply not welcomed. it isn't normal party politics - it's something much more basic and atavistic. it's the job of opposition to oppose, but lots of people don't want that at the moment and simply don't want to hear bad stuff. we're still in a national lockdown most people aren't interested in party politics.

Gmpf.

The Cult of the Sleepwalkers.

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:25 - Apr 16 with 1764 viewsBLUEBEAT

Let’s all move to Felixstowe and start a true red revolution

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/local-council/comunists-return-to-suffolk-elections-

Poll: W or W

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:28 - Apr 16 with 1743 viewslowhouseblue

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:20 - Apr 16 by Darth_Koont

Gmpf.

The Cult of the Sleepwalkers.

if you ventured outside your nasty little bubble you might have an idea about the views of a much wider range of people.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:28 - Apr 16 with 1743 viewsGunnsAirkick

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:14 - Apr 16 by lowhouseblue

This is one poll in isolation, but they're all been pretty bad reading recently and this one is three points worse off than the 2019 General Election Result Corbyn got rightly hammered for.

I don't agree that it's not the right time to be more more forthright in opposition considering some of the things the Government are doing (on not doing) and it's clearly resulting in support for Labour peeling off to other parties.
Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:35 - Apr 16 with 1720 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:28 - Apr 16 by lowhouseblue

if you ventured outside your nasty little bubble you might have an idea about the views of a much wider range of people.

“Nasty little bubble”!?

Thanks for that, Brendan O’Neill.

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:39 - Apr 16 with 1702 viewsPendejo

REFUK?

= Really fu**ed?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:44 - Apr 16 with 1674 viewslowhouseblue

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:35 - Apr 16 by Darth_Koont

“Nasty little bubble”!?

Thanks for that, Brendan O’Neill.

so why are you always surprised by polls? do you not mix with people and pick up on their views and the general atmosphere? if you ventured outside of your nasty little bubble you might find the world a lot less surprising.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:45]

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:45 - Apr 16 with 1675 viewsClapham_Junction

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:39 - Apr 16 by Pendejo

REFUK?

= Really fu**ed?

I presume it's REFUK as in 'to fuk again' - i.e. they've already fuk'd the country once with Brexit and are now back to do some more damage.
Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:46 - Apr 16 with 1663 viewsPendejo

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:20 - Apr 16 by Keno

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:30]

No! Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:47 - Apr 16 with 1652 viewsmonytowbray

Well, this isn’t depressing ... on 13:44 - Apr 16 by lowhouseblue

so why are you always surprised by polls? do you not mix with people and pick up on their views and the general atmosphere? if you ventured outside of your nasty little bubble you might find the world a lot less surprising.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 13:45]

"so why are you always surprised by polls?"

I think Glassers has a discount on his self-awareness courses right now.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024