Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now 16:33 - Apr 16 with 1872 viewsMullet

I'll not link the tweet because it's uncensored and disgusting but uses the n word etc.

Yesterday I saw a screenshot supposedly of Liverpool fans sending monkey emojis to Wijnaldum if I remember rightly. I'm guessing it's hard to measure the full scale of this sort of abuse as every instance will not be reported or talked about. But what do we do?

Stigmatising and shaming these people for doing it doesn't seem to work.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 with 1812 viewsJ2BLUE

While people can post anonymously this will keep happening because idiots think they won't be found.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 with 1808 viewsHerbivore

They should be prosecuted. They're committing a hate crime. Social media platforms should also have greater liability for allowing this kind of content to be hosted on their sites.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:46 - Apr 16 with 1756 viewsStokieBlue

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

They should be prosecuted. They're committing a hate crime. Social media platforms should also have greater liability for allowing this kind of content to be hosted on their sites.

This is the only solution.

I've not heard much about Biden passing the legislation to make social media companies libel for the things posted on their platforms but it was certainly being discussed.

I think a lot of this stuff would disappear incredibly quickly if the social media companies were on the hook for it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:53 - Apr 16 with 1694 viewsBluefish

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 by J2BLUE

While people can post anonymously this will keep happening because idiots think they won't be found.

Let them post anonymously but make everyone register with proof of ID to start with so the platform can provide to the police in every offensive incident

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:57 - Apr 16 with 1661 viewsJ2BLUE

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:53 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Let them post anonymously but make everyone register with proof of ID to start with so the platform can provide to the police in every offensive incident

Agreed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:04 - Apr 16 with 1635 viewsCoastalblue

Surely eductation is the only thing, I'm completely bewildered how people can have these sorts of views, though realise they do.

If education doesn't work then lobotomy I guess, if you're that thick then what else is left?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:06 - Apr 16 with 1615 viewsfooters

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:04 - Apr 16 by Coastalblue

Surely eductation is the only thing, I'm completely bewildered how people can have these sorts of views, though realise they do.

If education doesn't work then lobotomy I guess, if you're that thick then what else is left?

The problem is most of them know it's wrong, which is exactly why they do it.

Social media companies have a lot to answer for when they care more about copyright claims than racism and harmful conspiracy theories.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:10 - Apr 16 with 1579 viewsCoastalblue

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:06 - Apr 16 by footers

Social media companies have a lot to answer for when they care more about copyright claims than racism and harmful conspiracy theories.

Knowing it's wrong is not the same as feeling something though. How can these people view another human being as being something less? That's what I mean by education, you need to change the stupid views of people not stop them from doing something they believe.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:13 - Apr 16 with 1565 viewsMullet

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:06 - Apr 16 by footers

Exactly. It's about "clout" and getting a reaction, making sure they hurt people. You see it here too in milder more personal terms now and again but that's also rampant on Facebook for example too.

There is a way in which people use social media which seems to speak to some of the most base elements of people's psyche.

I'd be all for the platforms being fined by national regulators so it becomes the problem of every country too to police them better. Will never happen though.

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:15 - Apr 16 with 1548 viewsMullet

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:10 - Apr 16 by Coastalblue

Knowing it's wrong is not the same as feeling something though. How can these people view another human being as being something less? That's what I mean by education, you need to change the stupid views of people not stop them from doing something they believe.

They don't view them as human unfortunately. I think that's the gateway to a lot of the behaviour.

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:32 - Apr 16 with 1483 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 by Herbivore

Yeah, I think they should. And a lifetime ban off the platform too if the platforms had any guts.

It seems to be the clubs that take the strongest action when someone does stuff like this. Anyone found to be a ST holdr or member of a club will often get a ban.

It's toxic at the moment, as racists and a-holes have felt empowered by everything that's been going on in the UK over the last 5 years or so.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:54 - Apr 16 with 1437 viewsBseaBlue

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:53 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

I've been saying this for ages! The issue is, if you can't trust the social media companies to stop the abuse, can you trust them to hold your personal ID?

Something needs to be done though and soon.
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:05 - Apr 16 with 1386 viewswaveneyblue

This 100%
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:07 - Apr 16 with 1376 viewsHerbivore

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:32 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I think they should. And a lifetime ban off the platform too if the platforms had any guts.

It seems to be the clubs that take the strongest action when someone does stuff like this. Anyone found to be a ST holdr or member of a club will often get a ban.

It's toxic at the moment, as racists and a-holes have felt empowered by everything that's been going on in the UK over the last 5 years or so.

Indeed. I think on that last point, many people seem to still be quite blind to just how damaging the past 5 years in UK politics has been in terms of emboldening racist scumbags.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:27 - Apr 16 with 1305 viewsMattinLondon

They are not fans they are moronic f**kwits.
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:35 - Apr 16 with 1282 viewsTieDyedIn95

There are no words. Why doesn't Twitter expose these people and get them banned from the service and football grounds? I am by no means someone who's anti-free speech or believes that we should legislate against political views we don't like but this is just utterly foul abuse for nothing other than to hurt the person they are sending it to.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:40 - Apr 16 with 1259 viewsjeera

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:10 - Apr 16 by Coastalblue

Scum aren't they.

It's always the same, set out to demean someone else as a way to big themselves up.

People who are insecure themselves so pick on others to make themselves feel stronger; it's typical cowardly bullying techniques which saves someone from looking inwards at their own inadequate feelings.

If they had their real faults spelt out to them in a controlled environment they'd probably burst into tears.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:44 - Apr 16 with 1236 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 18:35 - Apr 16 by TieDyedIn95

There are no words. Why doesn't Twitter expose these people and get them banned from the service and football grounds? I am by no means someone who's anti-free speech or believes that we should legislate against political views we don't like but this is just utterly foul abuse for nothing other than to hurt the person they are sending it to.

They're not even close to taking it seriously are they. What do people get for a punishment - something like a 2 week ban isn't it? A couple of weeks away for racial abuse is nothing short of disgusting from Twitter (or whichever media platform). These social media sites have some benefits, but they really are a cancer and I pretty convinced the benefits are far outweighed by the downsides.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 19:17 - Apr 16 with 1180 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That's one option. Another would be to hit the platform with a heavy fine every time. They would soon find ways of preventing it or dealing appropriately with offenders if that happened.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 20:04 - Apr 16 with 1114 viewsstantheman

The thing is, if education cured everything, everyone would be a genius and there wouldn't be any thick people. There will always be racists like there will always be rocket scientists. Making them pay for their ignorant postings on social media is the way but they will still be racist unfortunately.
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 20:28 - Apr 16 with 1064 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think 'we' can do much, but social media companies need to demand that people have to verify their ID before having a profile.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 20:55 - Apr 16 with 1016 viewsreusersfreekicks

Whoops meant to be an uppy
Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 21:03 - Apr 16 with 991 viewsvapour_trail

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:46 - Apr 16 by StokieBlue

This is the only solution.

I've not heard much about Biden passing the legislation to make social media companies libel for the things posted on their platforms but it was certainly being discussed.

I think a lot of this stuff would disappear incredibly quickly if the social media companies were on the hook for it.

SB

As Thierry Henry noted, they’re very efficient in taking down content that is owned under copyright statutes.

Child abuse, racism, less of a priority.

Make the platforms fully culpable. Only way this will get dealt with, they’ll soon remove the oxygen from these racist cnts.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 23:19 - Apr 16 with 878 viewsRyorry

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 16:36 - Apr 16 by J2BLUE

People post just as much, maybe even worse, vile garbage on facebook whilst using their real names, so I don't think that will provide much of a solution.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 23:28 - Apr 16 with 849 viewsRyorry

Mings sharing racial abuse on social media just now on 17:54 - Apr 16 by BseaBlue

I've been saying this for ages! The issue is, if you can't trust the social media companies to stop the abuse, can you trust them to hold your personal ID?

Something needs to be done though and soon.

Whether they can be trusted or not is another matter, and of course many people have had their personal data hacked from many large companies holding it, but all bookies now require all customers to send them passport (or maybe driving licences instead) ID before they are allowed to bet, so if they can do it, I don't see why social media platforms shouldn't.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024