Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook's philosophy 19:18 - Apr 16 with 3161 viewsHipsterectomy

I watched this interview when we appointed him and was so impressed by eveything he said. It's well worth listening to even as background noise.

A lot of the things that happened this week go completely against the things he states he believes in: he says adding more than 3 or 4 players in a window is a disaster, players deserve time and patience to improve, a manager's main success should be deemed by the players they improve etc. Now I think, hope, he will do very well for us but I wonder if the added pressure from the takeover expectations is going to make him question all the things which brought him success - a typical banter era thing to happen to us.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:03 - Apr 16 with 2829 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm equally excited and terrified in equal measure. We need changes, but I hope we haven't got a Hurst Mk 2 on our hands. Not a lot we can do apart from watch and wait though, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:08 - Apr 16 with 2809 viewsCoco

This is a very unique situation though.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:12 - Apr 16 with 2785 viewsazuremerlangus

WTF is a “typical Banter Era thing”?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:13 - Apr 16 with 2768 viewsWD19

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:08 - Apr 16 by Coco

This is a very unique situation though.

Tsk. There is no such thing as ‘very unique’.
It’s either unique or it is not. innit.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:15 - Apr 16 with 2758 viewsazuremerlangus

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:13 - Apr 16 by WD19

Tsk. There is no such thing as ‘very unique’.
It’s either unique or it is not. innit.

Similar to “a bit random”

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:16 - Apr 16 with 2753 viewsreusersfreekicks

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:03 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

I'm equally excited and terrified in equal measure. We need changes, but I hope we haven't got a Hurst Mk 2 on our hands. Not a lot we can do apart from watch and wait though, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

I am concerned he will go too far and not see how good some players could be, with better, guidance and coaching.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:19 - Apr 16 with 2723 viewsSwansea_Blue

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:16 - Apr 16 by reusersfreekicks

I am concerned he will go too far and not see how good some players could be, with better, guidance and coaching.

He's talking like he want to completely gut us isn't he? It could be a difficult few months with so many changes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:19 - Apr 16 with 2711 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:12 - Apr 16 by azuremerlangus

WTF is a “typical Banter Era thing”?

Basically it's the sort of comedy f**ck up that would be funny if it wasn't YOUR club doing it.

Us, keeping serial failure Paul Lambert on for two years after he relegated us is, objectively, funny, if you're not, well...us. For example.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 3:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:20 - Apr 16 with 2716 viewsazuremerlangus

He has seen enough from the outside and now from the inside ton know what needs doing. The takeover budget will expedite this process and he has been a successful football manager long enough to know what to do.

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:23 - Apr 16 with 2701 viewsazuremerlangus

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:19 - Apr 16 by BlueBadger

Basically it's the sort of comedy f**ck up that would be funny if it wasn't YOUR club doing it.

Us, keeping serial failure Paul Lambert on for two years after he relegated us is, objectively, funny, if you're not, well...us. For example.

Ta - everyday is a school day...

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:23 - Apr 16 with 2695 viewsreusersfreekicks

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:20 - Apr 16 by azuremerlangus

He has seen enough from the outside and now from the inside ton know what needs doing. The takeover budget will expedite this process and he has been a successful football manager long enough to know what to do.

Doubt he has made such swift wholesale changes before.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:26 - Apr 16 with 2663 viewsWD19

There will be some players he bins who go on to rehabilitate themselves and be successful. It’s the law of averages.

But to be honest he won’t care so long as he is successful with the ones he brings in. He will have (probably) the largest budget in the division and a blank canvas. He doesn’t need to care that he missed the chance to improve someone here if he can buy in someone he ‘trusts’ here and now.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:34 - Apr 16 with 2630 viewsazuremerlangus

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:23 - Apr 16 by reusersfreekicks

Doubt he has made such swift wholesale changes before.

Agree - but it was always going to be a rebuild job either way.

Change is a’coming boys - are you in or out?

Looks like many are out...

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:41 - Apr 16 with 2575 viewsericclacton

Phil or sophie.

Paul Cook's philosophy on 23:31 - Apr 16 with 2397 viewsChurchman

It’s an interesting one. Bobby Robson evolved a good team over time, as did Burley, Klopp and Ferguson. It’s a better way of doing it, but we are for Ipswich Town in a very different situation than we’ve ever seen before.

After catastrophic ownership, years of decay, mostly hopeless managers, we are marooned in the lower leagues with a collection of players who are never going to do it here. The club has new owners with new expectations and a lot is going to change. If you have the means to bring in a better calibre of player that fits your way of doing things, why not do so? It does carry a lot of risk and will need a lot of skill. Whether Cook has that, who knows.

I just think his hand has been somewhat forced. The players have either downed tools, are just mentally spent, not good enough or a combo. Something has to change and fast. I guess that’s what Cook is trying to do.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 23:51 - Apr 16 with 2352 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook's philosophy on 23:31 - Apr 16 by Churchman

It’s an interesting one. Bobby Robson evolved a good team over time, as did Burley, Klopp and Ferguson. It’s a better way of doing it, but we are for Ipswich Town in a very different situation than we’ve ever seen before.

After catastrophic ownership, years of decay, mostly hopeless managers, we are marooned in the lower leagues with a collection of players who are never going to do it here. The club has new owners with new expectations and a lot is going to change. If you have the means to bring in a better calibre of player that fits your way of doing things, why not do so? It does carry a lot of risk and will need a lot of skill. Whether Cook has that, who knows.

I just think his hand has been somewhat forced. The players have either downed tools, are just mentally spent, not good enough or a combo. Something has to change and fast. I guess that’s what Cook is trying to do.

The players must seriously be struggling with the simplest of commands for someone like PC to be 'that' upfront and honest about them after a game and to continue it days after.

We will never know the real reasons behind the squad downing tools, It has gone to far now to just be a fitness thing, it really has and I wouldn't imagine PC being this angry if it was. He's clearly been let down when it comes to training, he's being let down on match days. What on earth is in the heads of the playing squad to be this bad...

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook's philosophy on 01:39 - Apr 17 with 2291 viewspointofblue

The one thing about it is, despite what he says, he’s used to a gut and restock. At Wigan he got rid of seventeen players over the summer plus a further three before the transfer window closed. Admittedly he only bought in seven players prior to September 1st but it has a similar feel to here where a unwieldy squad needs pruning.

At Portsmouth he signed 13 players over his first summer and got rid of 17 plus three loanees returned to their clubs. The changes took them from 16th to 6th though they’d lose in the play offs and have to wait a further year to be promoted to League One.

I’m not sure how content the owners or fans will be with a sixth place finish coupled with a play off defeat in League One next year considering the presumed investment!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 05:55 - Apr 17 with 2241 viewspeterleeblue

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:19 - Apr 16 by BlueBadger

I take it to mean that its all so Cr@p at the moment that we may as have a good old laugh at the situation.

Sort of laugh or cry scenario
Paul Cook's philosophy on 06:41 - Apr 17 with 2198 viewsChurchman

Paul Cook's philosophy on 01:39 - Apr 17 by pointofblue

The one thing about it is, despite what he says, he’s used to a gut and restock. At Wigan he got rid of seventeen players over the summer plus a further three before the transfer window closed. Admittedly he only bought in seven players prior to September 1st but it has a similar feel to here where a unwieldy squad needs pruning.

At Portsmouth he signed 13 players over his first summer and got rid of 17 plus three loanees returned to their clubs. The changes took them from 16th to 6th though they’d lose in the play offs and have to wait a further year to be promoted to League One.

I’m not sure how content the owners or fans will be with a sixth place finish coupled with a play off defeat in League One next year considering the presumed investment!

That’s really interesting and shows Cook’s done this before, if not to this scale, which is kind of reassuring to me.

If next year we go close, look like a team, playing some football and progressing as a club, I think the supporters will be patient. Whether that’ll be enough for the owners, time will tell, but if you take the NFL for example which is 100x the scale of ITFC, they tend to stick with a coach if the things are heading the right way. A rather simple analogy for American behaviour, but the best I can do.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 07:48 - Apr 17 with 2093 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Paul Cook's philosophy on 08:00 - Apr 17 with 2047 viewsKieran_Knows

I think the difference is, as per what Phil has said ... we’ll be recruiting as a Championship club in League 1, rather than recruiting League 1&2 players whilst in the Championship.

Going to be an interesting summer either way.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Cook's philosophy on 08:56 - Apr 17 with 1923 viewstextbackup

Paul Cook's philosophy on 20:19 - Apr 16 by Swansea_Blue

He's talking like he want to completely gut us isn't he? It could be a difficult few months with so many changes.

We play like a team of strangers and they’ve been together 2/3/4 years... so what harm/difference will actual strangers make?
Atleast these ones coming in will be his choice

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Paul Cook's philosophy on 09:45 - Apr 17 with 1853 viewsElephantintheRoom

Paul Cook's philosophy on 06:41 - Apr 17 by Churchman

That’s really interesting and shows Cook’s done this before, if not to this scale, which is kind of reassuring to me.

If next year we go close, look like a team, playing some football and progressing as a club, I think the supporters will be patient. Whether that’ll be enough for the owners, time will tell, but if you take the NFL for example which is 100x the scale of ITFC, they tend to stick with a coach if the things are heading the right way. A rather simple analogy for American behaviour, but the best I can do.

The football club these chancers are associated with, Phoenix Rising is a bit miniscule compared with ITFC - and its not entirely obvious how much of it they own. Their interest in Danish minoows is not entirely imopressive either, nor an Australian 'soccer club'. It would have been a tad reassurung if they were associated with a bit of success in their own back yard.before dipping their faces in the trough over here,

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Paul Cook's philosophy on 09:48 - Apr 17 with 1846 viewsBlueForYou

The whole playing group here is totally shot to bits, he doesnt have any other choice. Just do it Paul.
Paul Cook's philosophy on 10:03 - Apr 17 with 1814 viewsTieDyedIn95

We've see the limit of all these players over the last 3 years, lets just move one.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024