Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Housing what would you rather question 20:13 - Apr 18 with 2905 viewsgiant_stow

You have £495,000 to spend. Do you buy the little terrace house or the much more generously sized gardenless flat?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/83274751?utm_campaign=property-details&am

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90711184?utm_campaign=property-details&am

This is a purely hypothetical game for nosy Rightmove fans. And sorry if its super dull, just came across these two and was struck by the same prices.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:16]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Housing what would you rather question on 20:17 - Apr 18 with 2104 viewsfactual_blue

Neither.

Again, at random, you can buy a proper house for that sort of money

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/73721908#/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Housing what would you rather question on 20:18 - Apr 18 with 2092 viewsJ2BLUE

If I had £495k I wouldn't buy either...

The flat is much nicer though IMO. Depends where it's located. In the middle of town? Opposite a park?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:19 - Apr 18 with 2091 viewsOldsmoker

Eeeee, when I was a lad, Walthamstow was not a desirable area.
You could buy a street for that price.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:21 - Apr 18 with 2072 viewsazuremerlangus

As Crowded House once sang:

“I’d much rather have a caravan in the hills than a mansion in the slums”

Not really that relevant to the OP but that line always comes to mind when anyone mentions buying houses to me.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:22 - Apr 18 with 2049 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:17 - Apr 18 by factual_blue

Neither.

Again, at random, you can buy a proper house for that sort of money

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/73721908#/

I should have banned 'neither' but too late. That's stunning! What's the area like though? Bit rough?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Housing what would you rather question on 20:23 - Apr 18 with 2047 viewsbluelagos

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/berg-en-dal/hout-bay/western-cape/10150/1097

Buy this place and save £125k

Working from home from a similar time zone...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:23 - Apr 18 with 2035 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:18 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

If I had £495k I wouldn't buy either...

The flat is much nicer though IMO. Depends where it's located. In the middle of town? Opposite a park?

Not that close to a park but v close to the tube.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:26 - Apr 18 with 2002 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:21 - Apr 18 by azuremerlangus

As Crowded House once sang:

“I’d much rather have a caravan in the hills than a mansion in the slums”

Not really that relevant to the OP but that line always comes to mind when anyone mentions buying houses to me.

I'm fascinated by what drives different buyers. If it were me (and it had to be that area) the garden would probably swing it, even though I'm not a gardener.

Login to get fewer ads

Housing what would you rather question on 20:27 - Apr 18 with 1992 viewsfactual_blue

Housing what would you rather question on 20:22 - Apr 18 by giant_stow

I should have banned 'neither' but too late. That's stunning! What's the area like though? Bit rough?

Errr...no.

A nice tea shop and an excellent butchers.

The pubs are a bit past their best, and I wouldn't be surprised if neither reopened.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:27 - Apr 18 with 1988 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:19 - Apr 18 by Oldsmoker

V true.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:28 - Apr 18 with 1980 viewshandslikeplates

I’ll play. On this occasion I would go for the flat, but I would want to look at the leasehold/freehold situation first.

I like this game, not that I would ever be able to play for real at £500,000
Housing what would you rather question on 20:28 - Apr 18 with 1972 viewsfactual_blue

Housing what would you rather question on 20:26 - Apr 18 by giant_stow

I'm fascinated by what drives different buyers. If it were me (and it had to be that area) the garden would probably swing it, even though I'm not a gardener.

If it had to be that area, I'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out where my life had gone wrong.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:29 - Apr 18 with 1968 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:23 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/berg-en-dal/hout-bay/western-cape/10150/1097

Buy this place and save £125k

Working from home from a similar time zone...

Wow.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:30 - Apr 18 with 1949 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:27 - Apr 18 by factual_blue

Errr...no.

A nice tea shop and an excellent butchers.

The pubs are a bit past their best, and I wouldn't be surprised if neither reopened.

Fingers crossed on the pubs.

Housing what would you rather question on 20:30 - Apr 18 with 1946 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:28 - Apr 18 by factual_blue

If it had to be that area, I'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out where my life had gone wrong.

Lol!

Housing what would you rather question on 20:32 - Apr 18 with 1925 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:28 - Apr 18 by handslikeplates

I’ll play. On this occasion I would go for the flat, but I would want to look at the leasehold/freehold situation first.

I like this game, not that I would ever be able to play for real at £500,000

Glad you like it. The flat is much nicer inside innit. Find another would you rather, any price anywhere...!

Edit. Know what you mean in the miney. Just for argument though...
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:33]

Housing what would you rather question on 20:34 - Apr 18 with 1917 viewsbluelagos

Housing what would you rather question on 20:29 - Apr 18 by giant_stow

Wow.

Hout Bay is quite pleasant too. Did some house hunting there a few years back before I settled on my current place. £250k buys an absolute stunning home :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:39 - Apr 18 with 1872 viewsCoco

Housing what would you rather question on 20:19 - Apr 18 by Oldsmoker

Still not desirable just close to that there London for young commuter sorts

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Housing what would you rather question on 20:47 - Apr 18 with 1856 viewsSteve_M

Hmmm, all else being equal probably the flat. In London, think I would rather have light and air in a flat than a crappy garden.

An alternative version of this dilemma is weighing up the difference between a two-bed flat in London, a small terrace in somewhere like St Albans which has a very quick commute or a larger/cheaper place with a worse commute. I keep changing my mind....
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 21:26]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Housing what would you rather question on 20:48 - Apr 18 with 1850 viewsLord_Lucan

Gotta be honest the house with the astroturf is awful isn't it.

The flat is ok but wow, is Walthamstow that pricey? I don't even class Walthamstow as London really.

I'd go for Lagos's suggestion.

Or this one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90470233#/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Housing what would you rather question on 20:50 - Apr 18 with 1820 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:34 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

Hout Bay is quite pleasant too. Did some house hunting there a few years back before I settled on my current place. £250k buys an absolute stunning home :-)

That's hard to even comprehend in UK terms. Lucky locals

Housing what would you rather question on 20:50 - Apr 18 with 1821 viewsGuthrum

Between those two, I'd opt for the terrace, because of the outside space. Can build more sheds to use as a workshop.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Housing what would you rather question on 20:51 - Apr 18 with 1814 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:47 - Apr 18 by Steve_M

Hmmm, all else being equal probably the flat. In London, think I would rather have light and air in a flat than a crappy garden.

An alternative version of this dilemma is weighing up the difference between a two-bed flat in London, a small terrace in somewhere like St Albans which has a very quick commute or a larger/cheaper place with a worse commute. I keep changing my mind....
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 21:26]

It really is age old stuff at heart innit. St Albans looked lovely on my only visit!

Edit I used to get the Thameslink into the city and its was super quick as you say.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:56]

Housing what would you rather question on 20:55 - Apr 18 with 1781 viewsgiant_stow

Housing what would you rather question on 20:48 - Apr 18 by Lord_Lucan

Gotta be honest the house with the astroturf is awful isn't it.

The flat is ok but wow, is Walthamstow that pricey? I don't even class Walthamstow as London really.

I'd go for Lagos's suggestion.

Or this one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90470233#/

You get the Burnley memorial prize! As Coco says above, Walthamstow is much closer to the bottom, than top in London terms (edit: obviously, I spose) , so these prices illustrate the housing market madness we'll (accidently)

Edit: anyway, with that flurry of slightly manic posting done (!) good evening all.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 21:01]

Housing what would you rather question on 21:25 - Apr 18 with 1626 viewsStokieBlue

The flat is nicer and depending on the freehold/leasehold structures you could convert the loft into another bedroom and a small terrace to get the outside space whenever time and budget allows.

Shouldn't be an issue as other people on that road have converted the lofts.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024