Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... 07:29 - Apr 19 with 6069 viewsITFC_Forever

.... and leave the game for the rest of us to enjoy, untainted by their greed.

The only reason FIFA and UEFA are against it is because they didn’t think of it / get it up and running first.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:33 - Apr 19 with 3137 viewsBluefish

Yes I think fook them but I don't believe it. The Champions League was started when Milan stopped winning the league so they got together with some other clubs and talked about a European super league. Uefa reacted and made the CL so they all got in on the greed. They just want the CL extended to more teams, there aren't enough places now for the old school big 4 in England to qualify each year

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:48 - Apr 19 with 3081 viewsSteve_M

Yes, and make it clear there are no B-teams allowed into the league structure.

Fk them and their insatiable greed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:50 - Apr 19 with 3073 viewsbluelagos

Not convinced a Premier league minus the 6 would have even half the attraction to the tv companies. Which would have implications for the clubs structured with current tv deals/money in mind.

Ipswich went bust when we did the same and the tv deal collapsed.

The big 6 proposal is they stay in the EPL and this super league basically replaces the european tournaments. Pat Nevin on tv just saying it was a negotiating position and to expect lots more talks ahead.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:00 - Apr 19 with 2996 viewsZXBlue

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:50 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Not convinced a Premier league minus the 6 would have even half the attraction to the tv companies. Which would have implications for the clubs structured with current tv deals/money in mind.

The big 6 proposal is they stay in the EPL and this super league basically replaces the european tournaments. Pat Nevin on tv just saying it was a negotiating position and to expect lots more talks ahead.

That is the problem. And it is also the reason those 6 may think they have the leverage to force this through, or alternatively to further amend the new champions league format (which is already abomniable) in their favour, as a fall back position.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:01 - Apr 19 with 2996 viewsFtnfwest

Well i'm presuming their idea of heaven would be to just have this new league plus the premier league. None of them really care about the cup competitions - they only win them more often than not because they can put out a B team/youth team until the semi or final that will always have a decent chance of getting through.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:07 - Apr 19 with 2944 viewsITFC_Forever

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:50 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

With respect to your first paragraph - good, even better.

Ensures a level playing field for everyone again.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 8:07]

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:07 - Apr 19 with 2937 viewsITFC_Forever

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 07:48 - Apr 19 by Steve_M

Yes, and make it clear there are no B-teams allowed into the league structure.

Fk them and their insatiable greed.

Yes, and no B teams in the 92.

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:13 - Apr 19 with 2907 viewsbluelagos

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:07 - Apr 19 by ITFC_Forever

Problem is if you halved the TV money, that could see half a dozen top clubs go bust. You think that would be a good thing?

We are on a conveyor belt where money basically dictates the direction of football. Have been for the past 30 years tbh.

Fiik the solution but not sure shooting yourself in the foot is the way forward.

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:18 - Apr 19 with 2870 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:13 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Problem is if you halved the TV money, that could see half a dozen top clubs go bust. You think that would be a good thing?

We are on a conveyor belt where money basically dictates the direction of football. Have been for the past 30 years tbh.

Fiik the solution but not sure shooting yourself in the foot is the way forward.

No necessarily.

Wages should plummet to normal levels. There is a no way a player, playing for Town, should be on more than £1000 a week tops.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:24 - Apr 19 with 2837 viewsGuthrum

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:18 - Apr 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

No necessarily.

Wages should plummet to normal levels. There is a no way a player, playing for Town, should be on more than £1000 a week tops.

An interesting aspect to this is the matter of bonuses. I heard Russell Osman speak of how a win or other bonus used to make a signifcant difference to their family finances when he was playing. It was a genuinely strong incentive.

Massive wages, of course, negate that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:24 - Apr 19 with 2836 viewsBondiBlue

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:07 - Apr 19 by ITFC_Forever

Level playing field for a few years until the same one or two teams win the league over and over again and turn into the new ‘big two’.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:27 - Apr 19 with 2813 viewsSwansea_Blue

It'd be bad news for the fans if they split. Nobody wins; their fans have to travel loads more and fans of other teams lose the 'big' matches. If we were ever able to get back to the PL, I can guarantee we'd take more joy out of beating Man U than Burnley.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:29 - Apr 19 with 2786 viewsBluefish

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:18 - Apr 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

No necessarily.

I disagree. That is not enough, footballers have a very short career. 52k per annum isn't going to be enough for them especially when they are finished at 36 possibly earlier. Loads would choose different career paths instead

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:29 - Apr 19 with 2801 viewsglasso

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:24 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

An interesting aspect to this is the matter of bonuses. I heard Russell Osman speak of how a win or other bonus used to make a signifcant difference to their family finances when he was playing. It was a genuinely strong incentive.

Massive wages, of course, negate that.

We have to be careful here, though. Some of our players would end up homeless and that can't be good for fitness levels.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:32 - Apr 19 with 2778 viewsbluejacko

No promotion no relegation! So how long are football fans going to pay to see the same teams play each other week in week out? Now I only. Watch the CL if an English team is involved why would I have the slightest interest in the big 6 set up.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:32 - Apr 19 with 2768 viewsBluefish

No necessarily.

Duplicate post
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 8:33]

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:35 - Apr 19 with 2760 viewsDeano69

Could this be the opportunity for bringing back ‘honest’ and proper football?

Bin VAR
Cap ticket pricing
Review and reconstruct wages
Offer online viewing for all games in all divisions
More on terrestrial television to promote the love of the game

Really take the time to listen to what hacks off fans and fix it.

I live in hope, maybe that’s the ipswich way.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:42 - Apr 19 with 2727 viewshype313

For us as Ipswich fans it doesn't make much difference, and it's easy to say fk em, but when Chelsea supporters trust post things like this, even these clubs fans are massively against it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:46 - Apr 19 with 2700 viewsGuthrum

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:29 - Apr 19 by Bluefish

I disagree. That is not enough, footballers have a very short career. 52k per annum isn't going to be enough for them especially when they are finished at 36 possibly earlier. Loads would choose different career paths instead

Being brutal, so what? Why should a footballer be able to retire at the age of 36, rather than having to change career, like other sportspeople, or, indeed, their own predecessors?

Was there a shortage of players in the 1970s?

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:50 - Apr 19 with 2680 viewsdavblue

Clubs will cease to be English, Spanish, Italian they will be European.

The cost to fans will also be prohibitive also I suspect with 18 group games. Games will become like going to a theatre. It will be to watch a spectacle rather than supporting your team.

It’s garbage but not a surprise this has been talked about since the mid nineties.
Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:50 - Apr 19 with 2669 viewsBluefish

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:46 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

Being brutal, so what? Why should a footballer be able to retire at the age of 36, rather than having to change career, like other sportspeople, or, indeed, their own predecessors?

Was there a shortage of players in the 1970s?

It is a very different game now to the 70s. 52k is simply not enough money to attract the best. Why on earth would anyone work for that in a way that dominates every decision you make in life especially when it is over so early

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:51 - Apr 19 with 2675 viewsSteve_M

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:13 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

The level of spending is surely unsustainable though despite the ever-increasing TV money. The key is not to stop the money instantly but to taper it over time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:51 - Apr 19 with 2673 viewsbluelagos

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:42 - Apr 19 by hype313

For us as Ipswich fans it doesn't make much difference, and it's easy to say fk em, but when Chelsea supporters trust post things like this, even these clubs fans are massively against it.

That's genuinely encouraging. Let's hope it is followed by 5 more today and maybe even the Italian and Spanish clubs fans too?

As Barca and Real Madrid are both fan owned one presumes their fans are in favour (or their presidents will be getting kicked out soon).

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:55 - Apr 19 with 2649 viewsGuthrum

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:50 - Apr 19 by Bluefish

It is a very different game now to the 70s. 52k is simply not enough money to attract the best. Why on earth would anyone work for that in a way that dominates every decision you make in life especially when it is over so early

In how many jobs could you be earning 52k in your early 20s?

Am I the only one who thinks we should let the big six go.... on 08:57 - Apr 19 with 2636 viewsnoggin

Let's not forget, if the big 6 are kicked out of the Premier League, it would open up the possibility of Norwich being champions of England.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024