Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners 08:16 - Apr 19 with 2248 viewsbluelagos

using football clubs to make as much money as possible from their investments.

Funny how these voices were all rather quiet 11 days ago when foreign owners bought Ipswich to make as much money as possible from their investments.

Owners using football clubs to enrich themselves is now a problem but was ok previously? Am confused...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:19 - Apr 19 with 1892 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

There were quite a few voices of discontent on social media if you look for it.

Football is ruined and has been for 20yrs.
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:20 - Apr 19 with 1889 viewsGuthrum

A key difference being that our new owners are setting out to work within the football system to get a return on their investment. Schemes like this European Super League are designed to break the system itself and pull up the ladder after the beneficiaries have ascended.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:25 - Apr 19 with 1843 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:19 - Apr 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

Just wonder how posters square their disgust at the greed of the owners of the big 6 whilst welcoming the money (and greed) of our new owners.

Not too dissimilar to the fans of say Man U or Man C who are easily placated at the prospect of the success on the pitch. Yet the bigger issue of football clubs as money making ventures is finally laid bare for all to see:- Namely the owners don't give a fck for anything other than making as much money as possible.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:26 - Apr 19 with 1828 viewsDeano69

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:19 - Apr 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

Sky/BSB/Murdoch started it, this takes it to a new level.

Football is awash with money and greed and never been less accessible to fans on a tight budget.

I don’t agree with it on so many levels including the greed, elitism, the structure, additional governing body, carbon footprint, but most of all the diabolical suggestion that that state they are ‘speaking for the fans’ of these clubs. Well you’re not, and football is about ALL fans not just those of the clubs involved.

Another dark day for football.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:29 - Apr 19 with 1812 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:20 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

A key difference being that our new owners are setting out to work within the football system to get a return on their investment. Schemes like this European Super League are designed to break the system itself and pull up the ladder after the beneficiaries have ascended.

You think our owners would have turned down such an offer?

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:33 - Apr 19 with 1789 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:26 - Apr 19 by Deano69

Sky/BSB/Murdoch started it, this takes it to a new level.

Football is awash with money and greed and never been less accessible to fans on a tight budget.

I don’t agree with it on so many levels including the greed, elitism, the structure, additional governing body, carbon footprint, but most of all the diabolical suggestion that that state they are ‘speaking for the fans’ of these clubs. Well you’re not, and football is about ALL fans not just those of the clubs involved.

Another dark day for football.

If the last 12 months have taught us anything about football, it's that as a spectacle it is sh1t without fans.

Seems to me one way this gets stopped is if the fans stand up and say enough. Not happening though.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:34 - Apr 19 with 1792 viewsWubbleU

Ah yes those damn foreigners, a good British sort would never bleed the soul out of a club, that nice Mr Ashley up at Newcastle for example.
And our accounts say Marcus put in 10M a year... really? Funny money, moving between companies in his group while the infrastructure of a club was destroyed, the fans broken and most importantly the team stuck in the 3rd tier.
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:35 - Apr 19 with 1784 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's ok. The ESL owners reckon that trickle down economics will work and it will result in a more even distribution of funding throughout the pyramid.

If anyone believes that, they'll believe anything.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:38 - Apr 19 with 1773 viewsDeano69

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:33 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

If the last 12 months have taught us anything about football, it's that as a spectacle it is sh1t without fans.

Seems to me one way this gets stopped is if the fans stand up and say enough. Not happening though.

I agree with you. Regrettably though we have also seen that it’s very easy to give access to a worldwide audience.

I would say it’s many years since those ‘big six’ relied on gate receipts to live or die.

Can’t wait to hear what those that actually support this change come out and say to support it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:39 - Apr 19 with 1770 viewsGuthrum

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:29 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

You think our owners would have turned down such an offer?

But they haven't suggested bending the whole of football to advantage Town. whereas that is exactly what these clubs are doing. The latter have actually come out and done it, which puts them openly in another moral category.

During the Evans era ITFC consisently voted against measures which would have been harmful to the sport, despite offers of extra money from above (or threats of witholding what had previosly been promised).

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:39 - Apr 19 with 1768 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:34 - Apr 19 by WubbleU

Ah yes those damn foreigners, a good British sort would never bleed the soul out of a club, that nice Mr Ashley up at Newcastle for example.
And our accounts say Marcus put in 10M a year... really? Funny money, moving between companies in his group while the infrastructure of a club was destroyed, the fans broken and most importantly the team stuck in the 3rd tier.

Deadly Doug was perhaps the biggest leach of a football club and as you highlight, people looking to make money out of football clubs isn't solely the preserve of overseas owners.

The German fan owned clubs won't be going anywhere near these proposals imho. As a model of club ownership it sh1ts all over what we have in the UK.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:41 - Apr 19 with 1743 viewsGuthrum

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:34 - Apr 19 by WubbleU

I don't think I mentioned the nationality of the owners, nor is it relevant to the argument.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:42 - Apr 19 with 1729 viewsvapour_trail

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:39 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

Deadly Doug was perhaps the biggest leach of a football club and as you highlight, people looking to make money out of football clubs isn't solely the preserve of overseas owners.

The German fan owned clubs won't be going anywhere near these proposals imho. As a model of club ownership it sh1ts all over what we have in the UK.

I’m sure the Germans will sign up ultimately. Money talks.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 1721 viewspatrickswell

Once Gamechanger start getting into discussions to form a subsidiary Premier League 2 or 3, then this post will seem timely.

Until then, most of us will hope to enjoy the potential rejuvenation of a moribund football club.
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 1711 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:39 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

But they haven't suggested bending the whole of football to advantage Town. whereas that is exactly what these clubs are doing. The latter have actually come out and done it, which puts them openly in another moral category.

During the Evans era ITFC consisently voted against measures which would have been harmful to the sport, despite offers of extra money from above (or threats of witholding what had previosly been promised).

My point, which I guess I am struggling to make clearly, is that owning football clubs solely to make money, is always going to result in owners making decision in their interests rather than the club, fans and/or wider football's interests.

As we are ultimately rather sh1t at the moment, our new owners have no wider powers. But as/when it suits them, I would expect them to make whatever decisions suit the money men rather then what suits the fans.

We have jumped into bed, out of desperation, with what are basically venture capitalists. Which may prove to be extremely worrying in the long term.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:45 - Apr 19 with 1701 viewsBlueNomad

I don't think it will happen if the the French and German clubs stay out of it.
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:46 - Apr 19 with 1693 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:41 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

I don't think I mentioned the nationality of the owners, nor is it relevant to the argument.

I did. Which I shouldn't have done tbf given my issue is not their nationalities.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:48 - Apr 19 with 1678 viewsWubbleU

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:41 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

Apologies, I quoted your comment in error.

My response was aimed at the heading of the whole topic.
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:53 - Apr 19 with 1631 viewsGuthrum

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:44 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

My point, which I guess I am struggling to make clearly, is that owning football clubs solely to make money, is always going to result in owners making decision in their interests rather than the club, fans and/or wider football's interests.

As we are ultimately rather sh1t at the moment, our new owners have no wider powers. But as/when it suits them, I would expect them to make whatever decisions suit the money men rather then what suits the fans.

We have jumped into bed, out of desperation, with what are basically venture capitalists. Which may prove to be extremely worrying in the long term.

But virtually all clubs are in the same position in the current era. We jumped into bed with the equivalent of a venture capitalist in 2007 (Evans just showed more stickability than most). That boat sailed long ago.

The distinction for me is between people looking to game the existing system to make money and those who seek to break it for everyone in order to gain a quick buck. Killing the goose which laid the golden egg, if you like.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:54 - Apr 19 with 1624 viewsPassionNotAnger

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:44 - Apr 19 by patrickswell

Once Gamechanger start getting into discussions to form a subsidiary Premier League 2 or 3, then this post will seem timely.

Until then, most of us will hope to enjoy the potential rejuvenation of a moribund football club.

If you don't think a pension fund who are looking to generate a profit on their investment wouldn't jump at any chance of getting into a league which offers greater income you are more than a little wet behind the ears.

Because the door isn't open to them right now doesn't mean they wouldn't be more than willing to run through it
Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:00 - Apr 19 with 1598 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed. I'm waiting for the 86 other clubs to break ranks now and see the opportunities presented by this 'big picture'. For example if six promotion spots become available, obviously Ipswich, as one of the big six in the third division should have one. Indeed as more recent winners of the top division than Spurs they should rightfully bypass the championship altogether and take their rightful place in the Prem.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:03 - Apr 19 with 1573 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:53 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

But virtually all clubs are in the same position in the current era. We jumped into bed with the equivalent of a venture capitalist in 2007 (Evans just showed more stickability than most). That boat sailed long ago.

The distinction for me is between people looking to game the existing system to make money and those who seek to break it for everyone in order to gain a quick buck. Killing the goose which laid the golden egg, if you like.

No doubt the big 6 have taken it to another level. The anti-competitive nature of a league without relegation is utterly absurd.

I just kind of feel what were people expecting? You, me, the "football family" (aaghhh) gets into bed with owners looking to make as much money as possible and then complain that they are looking to make as much money as possible.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:11 - Apr 19 with 1508 viewsGuthrum

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:03 - Apr 19 by bluelagos

No doubt the big 6 have taken it to another level. The anti-competitive nature of a league without relegation is utterly absurd.

I just kind of feel what were people expecting? You, me, the "football family" (aaghhh) gets into bed with owners looking to make as much money as possible and then complain that they are looking to make as much money as possible.

I think people were expecting some degree of moderation. For people to stay within the existing (already quite lucrative at their level) rules, rather than cynically breaking the entire system.

The nakedness of their greed, stopping at nothing to satisfy it and damn the rest of society has gone beyond the line of what most are prepared to accept.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:15 - Apr 19 with 1485 viewsbluelagos

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 09:11 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

I think people were expecting some degree of moderation. For people to stay within the existing (already quite lucrative at their level) rules, rather than cynically breaking the entire system.

The nakedness of their greed, stopping at nothing to satisfy it and damn the rest of society has gone beyond the line of what most are prepared to accept.

"The nakedness of their greed, stopping at nothing to satisfy it and damn the rest of society has gone beyond the line of what most are prepared to accept. "

Absolutely. But I kind of feel this boat sailed a long time ago. But maybe it's not too late to wake up, get real and take some action. Just feels a little bit late tbh.

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 10:05 - Apr 19 with 1407 viewshaynes_toe1

Much outrage today at the idea of foreign owners on 08:39 - Apr 19 by Guthrum

Only because they don't have the opportunity to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024