Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Modern living.....well death! 08:38 - Apr 19 with 838 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/apr/19/two-die-in-tesla-crash-no-one

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Modern living.....well death! on 09:57 - Apr 19 with 749 viewsUB9Blue

I know I am getting old but this driverless car stuff seems a bit odd to me.

To be sat in the front passenger seat of a vehicle going at high speed with no physical means of controlling it sounds rather scary....unless off course you have had about 15 pints
Modern living.....well death! on 10:05 - Apr 19 with 742 viewswkj

Unless it is on rails, I don't think I will ever be able to fully trust autonomy.

Even if it is on rails, it's a hard sell

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Modern living.....well death! on 10:10 - Apr 19 with 737 viewsGeoffSentence

Aside from the self-driving issue, I was a bit surprised that they reported that it 'burst into flames', I thought that issue would be gone along with fuel tanks.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Modern living.....well death! on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 726 viewswkj

Modern living.....well death! on 10:10 - Apr 19 by GeoffSentence

Aside from the self-driving issue, I was a bit surprised that they reported that it 'burst into flames', I thought that issue would be gone along with fuel tanks.

Lithium + Oxygen =

Lithium being used in modern batteries
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:12]

Crybaby

Modern living.....well death! on 10:24 - Apr 19 with 683 viewsGeoffSentence

Modern living.....well death! on 10:11 - Apr 19 by wkj

Lithium + Oxygen =

Lithium being used in modern batteries
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:12]

I'd kind of assumed that they would use a lithium compound in the batteries rather than pure lithium, but maybe not.

Could be a bit nasty if the battery took some damage and oxygen got in. I'm not having one of those unless it is armour-reinforced, kevlar toughened, 100% damage resistant. Don't fancy a toasted @rse.

Modern living.....well death! on 10:27 - Apr 19 with 676 viewsOldsmoker

Modern living.....well death! on 10:05 - Apr 19 by wkj

Unless it is on rails, I don't think I will ever be able to fully trust autonomy.

The dockland light railway doesn't have drivers.
You can sit at the front and pretend you're a driver.
I had to give up the front seat to a young kid 'cos he was about to burst into tears if I didn't. He then started shouting 'vroom vroom'. I wanted to explain to him that it's a train not a car but I let it go.
It only goes 30mph max.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Modern living.....well death! on 10:30 - Apr 19 with 673 viewsGeoffSentence

Modern living.....well death! on 10:27 - Apr 19 by Oldsmoker

The dockland light railway doesn't have drivers.
You can sit at the front and pretend you're a driver.
I had to give up the front seat to a young kid 'cos he was about to burst into tears if I didn't. He then started shouting 'vroom vroom'. I wanted to explain to him that it's a train not a car but I let it go.
It only goes 30mph max.

Brilliant, I look forward to the advent of self-flying aeroplanes in the passenger sector , predator drones modified to take paying customers maybe, so we can sit at the front and pretend to be pilots.

Modern living.....well death! on 11:12 - Apr 19 with 637 viewstivo

Modern living.....well death! on 09:57 - Apr 19 by UB9Blue

I know I am getting old but this driverless car stuff seems a bit odd to me.

To be sat in the front passenger seat of a vehicle going at high speed with no physical means of controlling it sounds rather scary....unless off course you have had about 15 pints

You absolutely have control - you do not handover and then be left with 'no physical means of controlling it'.
Login to get fewer ads

Modern living.....well death! on 11:23 - Apr 19 with 630 viewsStokieBlue

Modern living.....well death! on 10:05 - Apr 19 by wkj

The DLR is automated and has taken thousands every day for decades. The same with other mass transit systems around the world.

I think automating rail/underground transport is actually something which is fairly easy to do when compared to automating a "free range" car.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Modern living.....well death! on 11:25 - Apr 19 with 626 viewsStokieBlue

Surely in this specific instance the blame is entirely on the people given the system clearly states that people should still be in the drivers seat and ready to take control at any moment (or at least it used to).

Sitting in the back and letting the car drive entirely is not what it's designed for and they were stupid to do it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Modern living.....well death! on 12:09 - Apr 19 with 579 viewswkj

Modern living.....well death! on 11:25 - Apr 19 by StokieBlue

Surely in this specific instance the blame is entirely on the people given the system clearly states that people should still be in the drivers seat and ready to take control at any moment (or at least it used to).

Sitting in the back and letting the car drive entirely is not what it's designed for and they were stupid to do it.

SB

I really think that they have the design of driverless cars wrong. A modern car is built with the driver in mind. Surely there are better designs for autonomous vehicles then the typical car.

That is what tickles me the most, are self driving cars actually designed correctly for their core purpose?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 12:11]

Crybaby

Modern living.....well death! on 12:13 - Apr 19 with 566 viewsKropotkin123

Modern living.....well death! on 11:25 - Apr 19 by StokieBlue

SB

It is still the case. Entirely their fault. They put themselves and others at danger.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Modern living.....well death! on 16:49 - Apr 19 with 497 viewsPendejo

Modern living.....well death! on 10:30 - Apr 19 by GeoffSentence

Brilliant, I look forward to the advent of self-flying aeroplanes in the passenger sector , predator drones modified to take paying customers maybe, so we can sit at the front and pretend to be pilots.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024