Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers staying on 09:35 - Apr 19 with 2115 viewsBlueMoon

Following on from Cook suggesting it is up to Chambers if he wants to be here beyond this season. If the comment about players not looking after themselves / maintaining fitness levels is true then Chambers, as captain, takes a huge amount of responsibility for allowing that to happen. The captain is the conduit between the players and manager and, as much as we talk of his 'love' for the club, it all goes out the window if he is not helping to stop malaise within the players at this football club. Any talk of his ability aside (lets face it, whatever he had is long gone now anyway), this would be inexcusable and I would move him on for this point alone. I worry that any player who has been at the club for such a prolonged period of decline / negativity needs to go for risk of them dragging new players into that mindset too.

Always made me laugh how Chambers once lamented the continual, year-on-year, sale of our best players. This coming from a player who has stayed with us for almost a decade now!

Our last couple of (derided) managers both hinted at deeper rooted problems at the club. Hopefully for Cook the timing is now right as players' contracts are running out and we (hopefully) have investment available for new faces who want to contribute to the level required.

Replacing large swathes of the team in one transfer window didn't work well last time so hopefully Cook knows what he is doing - not signing everyone from a division below would be a start, and hopefully not now needed.
Chambers staying on on 09:39 - Apr 19 with 2052 viewsSteve_M

It's incredible how much power Luke Chambers seems to have within the club.

That Chambers' level of professionalism remains far above those of far too many of the players we have brought in since McCarthy left is not a reason to damn him. His time as a player here is just about done, whether he gets an extra year as a reserve or not.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:49]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chambers staying on on 09:43 - Apr 19 with 1989 viewsreusersfreekicks

All guff from the OP. Cook knows him and has been with him, you haven't.
Chambers staying on on 09:47 - Apr 19 with 1944 viewsGarv

He has power at the club, but I'm not sure he can stop a culture of players not keeping fit or recovering well enough from injuries.

I'm completely 50/50 on Chambers. If he stays, I'll look forward to his efforts in making us successful during a genuine 'new era' under new manager and owners, and completing his 10th year which will be a big thing in itself. Chances are he won't play every game.

If he goes I'll be excited to see a new captain come in and perhaps a new voice or two. Change can't really be a bad thing with where we are, can it?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Chambers staying on on 10:07 - Apr 19 with 1837 viewsOsborneOneNil

100% needs to go. Not good enough (hasn’t been for a while now), and has overseen an awful, half hearted period of our recent history.

Clean break, new faces/attitudes required.
Chambers staying on on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 1794 viewsHerbivore

Chambers staying on on 10:07 - Apr 19 by OsborneOneNil

100% needs to go. Not good enough (hasn’t been for a while now), and has overseen an awful, half hearted period of our recent history.

Clean break, new faces/attitudes required.

"Overseen"? I keep seeing this. He plays for the club, he doesn't manage or own it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chambers staying on on 10:19 - Apr 19 with 1729 viewsfarkenhell

Chambers staying on on 10:11 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

"Overseen"? I keep seeing this. He plays for the club, he doesn't manage or own it.

You beat me to it. How the hell can a player, captain or otherwise, be responsible for the many problems that exist at the club and that are completely outside of his control.
Chambers staying on on 10:27 - Apr 19 with 1669 viewsBeckets

Chambers staying on on 10:19 - Apr 19 by farkenhell

You beat me to it. How the hell can a player, captain or otherwise, be responsible for the many problems that exist at the club and that are completely outside of his control.

He hasn’t even kept the club website up to date either. Dreadful business.
Chambers staying on on 10:29 - Apr 19 with 1656 viewsOsborneOneNil

Chambers staying on on 10:11 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

Ok, wrong word. He’s been skipper, a ‘leader’ during said cr@p period.

Better?
Login to get fewer ads

Chambers staying on on 10:30 - Apr 19 with 1643 viewsBlueNomad

Chambers staying on on 10:27 - Apr 19 by Beckets

I think he helped paint the turnstiles
Chambers staying on on 10:35 - Apr 19 with 1596 viewsHerbivore

Chambers staying on on 10:29 - Apr 19 by OsborneOneNil

Ok, wrong word. He’s been skipper, a ‘leader’ during said cr@p period.

Better?

Better, yes, as it's actually accurate. I think people overestimate just how much influence a player can have, captain or not.

As it goes I'm not that bothered whether he stays. If he does it won't be as a regular starter next season as he'll be 36 and on some days he looks it, other days though he's still plenty good enough for this level. It will depend on whether he wants a season phasing himself out of playing or whether he wants to play as much as possible. If it's the latter I imagine he'll find a club willing to give him another year of regular football.

Chambers staying on on 10:46 - Apr 19 with 1523 viewsSimonds92

Basically this post is a load of cr*p.
Why people have such a vendetta towards our captain is beyond me. How many managers have had him as our captain now? How many of those 'My best 11' from the summer was he in, with so many people saying he's the best captain they've played with. He's clearly plenty good enough as a cb in this division, our defence has been one of the only redeemable features of this team especially when you consider how lightweight our midfield is without Downes. When we've been relegated or struggled he's clearly hurting like we have been and he's said the right things. If anyone deserves to be a part of our success next season (hopefully) its LC.
Chambers staying on on 10:56 - Apr 19 with 1466 viewsArnieM

Blue moon = TROLL.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Chambers staying on on 11:08 - Apr 19 with 1411 viewsBlueMoon

Makes me laugh. All I said was in response to the manager stating our players haven't been keeping themselves in shape. If you're anywhere near a 'professional' football team that is allowing that then you're doing something wrong. The captain, yes amongst others, has a level of responsibility for the playing staff.

I do take the point that the tea lady at the club won't have influence though. Well pointed out.
Chambers staying on on 11:09 - Apr 19 with 1407 viewschicoazul

Chambers staying on on 09:39 - Apr 19 by Steve_M

It's incredible how much power Luke Chambers seems to have within the club.

That Chambers' level of professionalism remains far above those of far too many of the players we have brought in since McCarthy left is not a reason to damn him. His time as a player here is just about done, whether he gets an extra year as a reserve or not.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:49]

I’m given to understand he’s not being offered a playing contract but the chance to work with Dyer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Chambers staying on on 11:12 - Apr 19 with 1386 viewsHerbivore

Chambers staying on on 11:08 - Apr 19 by BlueMoon

Makes me laugh. All I said was in response to the manager stating our players haven't been keeping themselves in shape. If you're anywhere near a 'professional' football team that is allowing that then you're doing something wrong. The captain, yes amongst others, has a level of responsibility for the playing staff.

I do take the point that the tea lady at the club won't have influence though. Well pointed out.

The players' fitness is down to a combination of the coaches, medical staff, and the individual players. It has nothing to do with the captain. Chambers can only be responsible for his own fitness and at 35 he's been more or less ever present this season, which suggests his own attitude and application isn't a problem.

Chambers staying on on 11:14 - Apr 19 with 1378 viewsSteve_M

I think most people would look at our binning off our fitness coach two months into the season and the lack of instruction given to players over the long break last year as bigger reasons for that than Luke Chambers.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chambers staying on on 11:14 - Apr 19 with 1372 viewsDanTheMan

What? How is it Chambers responsibility to keep other players fit? That's insane.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Chambers staying on on 11:41 - Apr 19 with 1275 viewsIllinoisblue

You utter cretin.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Chambers staying on on 12:38 - Apr 19 with 1077 viewsIllinoisblue

Captain. Leader. Fitness Coach.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Chambers staying on on 13:00 - Apr 19 with 984 viewsDubtractor

Chambers staying on on 10:27 - Apr 19 by Beckets

Some of the camera work on i follow has been dreadful too. All whilst he has been club captain.

Coincidence? I think not.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Chambers staying on on 13:47 - Apr 19 with 874 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Did Cook say the players had not been keeping themselves in shape? I believe he insinuated that we had fitness issues within the club that may or may not be down to injuries. Chambers though as often quoted has been one of the fittest players at the club throughout his stay.
I admit his career is nearer the end than the beginning but for my part I wonder how much lower could we have been without his contribution.
Cook said we should not have centre backs as our best performing players - this has been an issue for many years. Even under a previous manager (ok it was the championship), didn't we have a goal keeper winning the award year in year out.
We have been poor in our attacking play for several years now.
You can tell I am a Chambers supporter and I will always defend him against the barrage of criticism he seems to take.
I have no issue if he is to be replaced as a player next season but will always defend his contribution to our club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024