Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents 18:19 - Apr 19 with 3474 viewsDebsyAngel

I am extremely upset and livid about my parents' doctors surgeries. My Dad has not been asked to go to his 2nd jab yet - and his 12 weeks is up tomorrow. My Mum is due the week after.

They have tried to phone, but the queues are ridiculously long. Is there a vaccine shortage here? I thought April was mainly about 2nd doses being done?

My brother in law (aged 46) has got to go to Cambridge for his on Thursday, which seems an excessively long and pricey journey on a train, but his 2nd jab is booked for Duke Street Chemist in Ipswich.

I feel so panicky about my parents though - WHY when the first jabs were given, they were not given a 2nd date? And then of course, Doctors' phonelines are chock full of worried people wondering when they will be seen, and afraid of falling through the cracks.

Any advice, good people of TWTD?
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:47 - Apr 19 with 475 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:44 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Does it tell you what to do instead or just unhelpful say you can’t use the site?

Says that I am not eligible to book it that way and to phone them. Round and round in a circle. I will bug Mum to phone them - she tried last Friday and was told "they would call her". Problem is, they never do!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:48 - Apr 19 with 475 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:17 - Apr 19 by DebsyAngel

It left me stressed and shaking but glad I did nag them. It is worth thinking of other old people who have no access or clue how to use the internet, and who have no relatives or people who will push them to phone their surgeries - what happens to them? Surgeries should have lists of their patients and their ages/health issues and a system to flag them up to contact them or send a letter. It is not like my Dad hasn't been there for years or anything!

Everybody has been making this stuff up as they have gone along. Some surgeries have taken a lead and organised all their patients, others have left it to regional health boards. People are doing their best. We are adults, too, and sometimes it falls on us to chase things. It's easier for an individual to chase their one appointment than a receptionist in a Surgery to ring the entire patient list to check that they have received their letter. It's possible that the letter was sent to your parents, but not delivered. It happens sometimes.

We are bloody lucky that we still, just, have an NHS free at the point of need (for most things). We need to remember how important it is and vote accordingly.

We are also incredibly fortunate that scientists have turned around these vaccines about three times quicker than could have been the case. We owe them a huge debt of thanks.

Just be grateful that it is now sorted, breathe and smile again!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 21:12 - Apr 19 with 450 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:48 - Apr 19 by ArnoldMoorhen

Everybody has been making this stuff up as they have gone along. Some surgeries have taken a lead and organised all their patients, others have left it to regional health boards. People are doing their best. We are adults, too, and sometimes it falls on us to chase things. It's easier for an individual to chase their one appointment than a receptionist in a Surgery to ring the entire patient list to check that they have received their letter. It's possible that the letter was sent to your parents, but not delivered. It happens sometimes.

We are bloody lucky that we still, just, have an NHS free at the point of need (for most things). We need to remember how important it is and vote accordingly.

We are also incredibly fortunate that scientists have turned around these vaccines about three times quicker than could have been the case. We owe them a huge debt of thanks.

Just be grateful that it is now sorted, breathe and smile again!

I appreciate that, but when my Dad was close to being a statistic that fell through the cracks (and my Mum could still be), I cannot help but get upset and angry.

I am glad I had both my dates given when I booked online. I wish my parents would embrace technology, but it cannot be a thing to force on them!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 14:05 - Apr 20 with 381 viewsDebsyAngel

An update - Mum phoned Two Rivers (as she had the first jab there) and is now booked in for her 2nd Pfizer one this Saturday morning. So glad it's sorted now and thanks to all on here who gave advice. So very much appreciated!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 14:30 - Apr 20 with 367 viewsPinewoodblue

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 14:05 - Apr 20 by DebsyAngel

An update - Mum phoned Two Rivers (as she had the first jab there) and is now booked in for her 2nd Pfizer one this Saturday morning. So glad it's sorted now and thanks to all on here who gave advice. So very much appreciated!

Good news. Worth remembering whatever system is used it is 100% better than the free for all in USA. Know people there who registered at half a dozen different places and took the earliest one they could get.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 15:18 - Apr 20 with 357 viewsChurchman

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 21:12 - Apr 19 by DebsyAngel

I appreciate that, but when my Dad was close to being a statistic that fell through the cracks (and my Mum could still be), I cannot help but get upset and angry.

I am glad I had both my dates given when I booked online. I wish my parents would embrace technology, but it cannot be a thing to force on them!

Well, it depends on the age of the individual and more importantly their will to get to grips with it. About 13 or 14 years ago my dad was keen to learn, bought a laptop and became pretty able with it. These days he has a tablet, but can’t be bothered and really doesn’t get much from it. ‘I’m too old, it’s too complicated, why can’t I just write a letter like the old days’ etc. It’s just the way it is, so we look for workarounds and help things along a bit. I settle for him being as fit as he is at his age and his perpetual hatred of Norwich City and Norfolk people, despite marrying a woman from Yarmouth.

The only important thing is to get the right outcome with things, which you did with your parents.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 15:37]
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 15:34 - Apr 20 with 350 viewsRyorry

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 15:18 - Apr 20 by Churchman

Well, it depends on the age of the individual and more importantly their will to get to grips with it. About 13 or 14 years ago my dad was keen to learn, bought a laptop and became pretty able with it. These days he has a tablet, but can’t be bothered and really doesn’t get much from it. ‘I’m too old, it’s too complicated, why can’t I just write a letter like the old days’ etc. It’s just the way it is, so we look for workarounds and help things along a bit. I settle for him being as fit as he is at his age and his perpetual hatred of Norwich City and Norfolk people, despite marrying a woman from Yarmouth.

The only important thing is to get the right outcome with things, which you did with your parents.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 15:37]

When a couple of friends came round in the mid-late 90s to get me onto the net & asked me what I was most interested in to encourage me to use it, of course the first thing I said was "ITFC". So they got the club website up & my jaw practically fell open with wonder! Think TWTD may have been 2nd up, and from then on there was no looking back!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 15:38 - Apr 20 with 339 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 15:34 - Apr 20 by Ryorry

When a couple of friends came round in the mid-late 90s to get me onto the net & asked me what I was most interested in to encourage me to use it, of course the first thing I said was "ITFC". So they got the club website up & my jaw practically fell open with wonder! Think TWTD may have been 2nd up, and from then on there was no looking back!

I was using it at work in breaks and fascinated by all the information and things I liked being available to read about!

I then joined TWTD, and once we got a laptop here, joined Facebook about 9 years ago. I know it has its knockers but I have made and met brilliant like minded friends on there after being invited to join two groups that I contribute to (music ones).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024