Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents 18:19 - Apr 19 with 3475 viewsDebsyAngel

I am extremely upset and livid about my parents' doctors surgeries. My Dad has not been asked to go to his 2nd jab yet - and his 12 weeks is up tomorrow. My Mum is due the week after.

They have tried to phone, but the queues are ridiculously long. Is there a vaccine shortage here? I thought April was mainly about 2nd doses being done?

My brother in law (aged 46) has got to go to Cambridge for his on Thursday, which seems an excessively long and pricey journey on a train, but his 2nd jab is booked for Duke Street Chemist in Ipswich.

I feel so panicky about my parents though - WHY when the first jabs were given, they were not given a 2nd date? And then of course, Doctors' phonelines are chock full of worried people wondering when they will be seen, and afraid of falling through the cracks.

Any advice, good people of TWTD?
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:26 - Apr 19 with 2926 viewsDennyx4

My parents have just had there 2nd jabs. My Mother in Law has her 2nd jab on Sunday.

It seemed to vary on where you had the first jab, as to whether the 2nd was booked at the time.

If your parents don't want to hang on the phone, you should be able to book online for them, if you have the reference numbers etc.

There appears to be slots available, as my dad was in hospital, when his was due but when we rung through it was arranged for two days later at Trinity Park. (That was last week).
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:27 - Apr 19 with 2911 viewsfactual_blue

I doubt anybody will be allowed to fall through the cracks. My wife had hers last Friday, and was called the day before.

From what I gather - certainly at our surgery - they're getting very little notice of deliveries and have to allocate pretty quickly, depending on which vaccine is being sent.

Or could you book their second vaccines on-line, ie at a vaccination centre?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:28 - Apr 19 with 2900 viewsBluefish

I read something on this recently and the 12 weeks is a very lose date with a longer time not being a problem. Very understandable to be worried but I think a little Google research on some credible should help put your mind to look rest

Hope it gets sorted

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:28 - Apr 19 with 2922 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:26 - Apr 19 by Dennyx4

My parents have just had there 2nd jabs. My Mother in Law has her 2nd jab on Sunday.

It seemed to vary on where you had the first jab, as to whether the 2nd was booked at the time.

If your parents don't want to hang on the phone, you should be able to book online for them, if you have the reference numbers etc.

There appears to be slots available, as my dad was in hospital, when his was due but when we rung through it was arranged for two days later at Trinity Park. (That was last week).

Thank you.

My Dad has just called back - and got through to the Doctors and admitted THEY HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT HIM. I am furious at this. But they put him through to a doctor and he is now in for his 2nd jab Wednesday lunchtime. How can they let a man of his age and vulnerability get forgotten? How many others are going to fall through the net?

I have nagged my Mum to phone her surgery tomorrow.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:30 - Apr 19 with 2880 viewsDennyx4

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:28 - Apr 19 by DebsyAngel

Thank you.

My Dad has just called back - and got through to the Doctors and admitted THEY HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT HIM. I am furious at this. But they put him through to a doctor and he is now in for his 2nd jab Wednesday lunchtime. How can they let a man of his age and vulnerability get forgotten? How many others are going to fall through the net?

It does seem a strange system, where some have their 2nd jabs booked and others do not.

Glad your Dad got sorted.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:36 - Apr 19 with 2843 viewsPinewoodblue

I don't know anyone who has had to chase their GP for the second jab. Mine was booked before the first jab was given. Wife received phone call from surgery was offered choice of dates and times.

We had first jabs a week apart but both had second jabs on same day. Mine at Trinity Park in the morning, hers at Doctors Surgery near Ipswich School in the afternoon. Would give Trinity Park 8/10 it wasn't organized as well as first jab. Ivry Street medical practice 10/10. Wife is wheel chair user didn't have to get her into surgery they came out to her in the car park.

Have you tried texting doctors I'm sure they would ring back.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:40 - Apr 19 with 2812 viewsborge

Thank you.

Unfortunately the system won't be perfect and people will be forgotten about. Don't forget that the people running things are human just like you and I. They will have issues at home to worry about and might sometimes get things at work wrong, just as I am sure we might.

Those of us who can have to take some responsibility for ensuring we get the jab. Your dad did the right thing by continuing to call and you did the right thing by encouraging him to do so. Keep nagging your mum because once she gets her sorted you can stop worrying.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:42 - Apr 19 with 2805 viewsfactual_blue

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:30 - Apr 19 by Dennyx4

It does seem a strange system, where some have their 2nd jabs booked and others do not.

If you took the on-line route, you got the opportunity to book the second dose.

If you have it arranged by your GP the arrangements look to be a bit more uncertain. I doubt the GP will be too happy with the telephonist saying they'd forgotten somebody!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:47 - Apr 19 with 2768 viewsfloridablue

It does seem a 'strange system'. I'm sure everyone here gets the 2nd return date at the first appointment .. I did.. unless it's the J & J vaccine
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:48 - Apr 19 with 2751 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:47 - Apr 19 by floridablue

It does seem a 'strange system'. I'm sure everyone here gets the 2nd return date at the first appointment .. I did.. unless it's the J & J vaccine

I think it's better organised over where you are, Florida! Glad I nagged my father, but he is often up that surgery or on the phone to them about his various health issues and medications, so I am disgusted at their treatment!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:52 - Apr 19 with 2737 viewsBasuco

As others have said with such a huge operation there will undoubtedly be more than a few problems, we should all take note and do what you did, make sure if any friends or relatives feel they may have been missed, make sure they call and check they have not. Well done you, also when I had my second jab I had so side effects at all so tell them not to worry about it at all.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:56 - Apr 19 with 2708 viewsChurchman

It varies. My dad and myself got second dates and times on booking the first. My sister - no date or time and the misses a date and no time. She was contacted last week and sorted two weeks earlier than the scheduled date. It does vary. I suspect it’s the downside of having a different ways of delivery (online, through the doctor etc) and the huge numbers involved. On the whole it’s been well organised, but sadly there are bound to people that drop through the gaps. Hopefully they have some sort of process to pick up those missed. The important thing is to chase it, as you did, so well done!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:57 - Apr 19 with 2696 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thank you.

Always worth checking as these mistakes can happen. Glad it's sorted.

My favourite example of a mess up I've seen so far is the reporter up in Liverpool (I think) who was offered a priority vaccine because his BMI was in the thousands....

....But only because the doctors surgery had incorrectly added his height to the system and recorded it as something like 8 inches! Now I'm not the brightest, but I think even I would have noticed that 8 inches is probably an unrealistic height for an adult.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:00 - Apr 19 with 2668 viewsRyorry

It may be down to how people were notified about their first one.

I was phoned by my GP's surgery & offered a choice of 2 dates a week or two before the first one, so I booked that, but they didn't offer a slot for the second one at that time.

That afternoon, or next day, can't remember now, I also got a NHS letter through the post inviting me to book online - which did ask me to book the second one at the same time as booking the first, but by that time of course it was too late.

Last Friday afternoon my GP surgery rang again with a choice of two possible slots for this week (which would make it 11 weeks between the two I think) - yay!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:02 - Apr 19 with 2650 viewschicoazul

Thank you.

I’m sorry but this must be wrong. TWTD knows for a fact that it’s only the private sector involved in healthcare that is inefficient stupid and useless.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:05 - Apr 19 with 2638 viewsfloridablue

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:52 - Apr 19 by Basuco

As others have said with such a huge operation there will undoubtedly be more than a few problems, we should all take note and do what you did, make sure if any friends or relatives feel they may have been missed, make sure they call and check they have not. Well done you, also when I had my second jab I had so side effects at all so tell them not to worry about it at all.

Actually the UKs roll out has been highly praised over here. I had no side effects from the Moderna shot apart from the ache in the arm next day but my partner has had nearly 2 week headache which she puts down to the Johnson vaccine.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:09 - Apr 19 with 2599 viewsmikeybloo88

Everything been done brilliantly in Lincolnshire...everyone here has either booked their own second jab dates online when they booked their first, or if they went to a gp hub as I did they were given the second date at that time. As far as I can tell no one has not had their second jab bang on schedule...a terrific effort.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:14 - Apr 19 with 2563 viewsPJH

My wife and I have got our second jab tomorrow but we arranged them online at the same time as we arranged the first ones, which were done in February.

Ours are at Woodbridge Community Hall and not arranged through our local surgery.

I know that this does not help with your problems but, as I said, our second ones were arranged when we arranged the first ones.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:17 - Apr 19 with 2540 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:52 - Apr 19 by Basuco

It left me stressed and shaking but glad I did nag them. It is worth thinking of other old people who have no access or clue how to use the internet, and who have no relatives or people who will push them to phone their surgeries - what happens to them? Surgeries should have lists of their patients and their ages/health issues and a system to flag them up to contact them or send a letter. It is not like my Dad hasn't been there for years or anything!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:27 - Apr 19 with 2476 viewspointofblue

It’s not necessarily going to be at the doctor’s surgery but have you tried checking whether your parents have been booked in for their second jab? You can look via the site below, and if it’s been cancelled or missed you’re given the opportunity to rebook.

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

It may not be at the doctor’s surgery, but it will at least give the chance to check.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:42 - Apr 19 with 2409 viewscoolcat

Glad you got that sorted out. My Mum is 86, lives in Bury St Edmunds and had her first jab in January. She had a job booking her first vaccine and seemed like she was forgotten but was more to do with the flow of supply. They too never gave her a date for her 2nd jab either, but she got a text a few weeks ago with one day's notice.
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:23 - Apr 19 with 2290 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:27 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

It’s not necessarily going to be at the doctor’s surgery but have you tried checking whether your parents have been booked in for their second jab? You can look via the site below, and if it’s been cancelled or missed you’re given the opportunity to rebook.

It may not be at the doctor’s surgery, but it will at least give the chance to check.

Will have a look on that link. Dad is sorted now, but will call Mum tomorrow and see if she has a code on her card from the 1st jab. Thanks!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:33 - Apr 19 with 2248 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 18:36 - Apr 19 by Pinewoodblue

I don't know anyone who has had to chase their GP for the second jab. Mine was booked before the first jab was given. Wife received phone call from surgery was offered choice of dates and times.

We had first jabs a week apart but both had second jabs on same day. Mine at Trinity Park in the morning, hers at Doctors Surgery near Ipswich School in the afternoon. Would give Trinity Park 8/10 it wasn't organized as well as first jab. Ivry Street medical practice 10/10. Wife is wheel chair user didn't have to get her into surgery they came out to her in the car park.

Have you tried texting doctors I'm sure they would ring back.

I may try to text them for my Mum tomorrow if she has had no further luck, Dad is in for Weds now, thankfully ( a day after his 12 week deadline)so hope he will be still protected.

Mine was done online, Derby Road surgery, and followed the texted link to me.

My Mum and Dad only have basic phones and have no idea how to text!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:35 - Apr 19 with 2239 viewsDebsyAngel

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 19:27 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Tried your link with my Mum's details but says I cannot book it that way. Argh!
Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:44 - Apr 19 with 2203 viewspointofblue

Worried about 2nd vaccines for my parents on 20:35 - Apr 19 by DebsyAngel

Tried your link with my Mum's details but says I cannot book it that way. Argh!

Does it tell you what to do instead or just unhelpful say you can’t use the site?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024