Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Introducing a pup to a cat household tips 09:44 - Apr 20 with 1497 viewsartsbossbeard

Go!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:46 - Apr 20 with 1302 viewsNthQldITFC

Ensure the cat has already eaten.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:49 - Apr 20 with 1280 viewsKeno

Wear gloves, big gloves!!

and let them meet first in the garden so they have have a sniff and the cat can escape if needed

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:52 - Apr 20 with 1269 viewsgiant_stow

My mum in sort of law had to introduce a grown staffie to her long time cat. As I remember it was all about ensuring that the dog knew the cat was boss. So the cat got fed first (always) for instance. Or the cat was allowed to sleep on her bed, the dog not. Stuff like that.

It worked well - the dog could have killed the cat at any time, but was actually scared of it - they ended up always sleeping curled up together before the cat passed.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:52 - Apr 20 with 1263 viewsjeera

Make sure the cat has a few bolt holes, like one or two high up so it can escape the dog's attention.

That way the pup is less likely to get hurt while the cat gets used to him/her/other pronoun.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:52 - Apr 20 with 1259 viewseireblue

Yep, I agree with your tip there, just go, get out of the household, as soon as.

Will this be a daily thing, brief tips, brought to you by artsbossbeard?
Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:53 - Apr 20 with 1254 viewsBloomBlue

Get a pair of goggles for the pup, cats are notorious for clawing at the eyes when they dislike a puppy
Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:06 - Apr 20 with 1134 viewsBlueBadger

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 09:52 - Apr 20 by giant_stow

My mum in sort of law had to introduce a grown staffie to her long time cat. As I remember it was all about ensuring that the dog knew the cat was boss. So the cat got fed first (always) for instance. Or the cat was allowed to sleep on her bed, the dog not. Stuff like that.

It worked well - the dog could have killed the cat at any time, but was actually scared of it - they ended up always sleeping curled up together before the cat passed.

Is 'my mum in sort of law' Norfolk slang for 'aunty' or just plain old 'mum'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:07 - Apr 20 with 1120 viewsLord_Lucan

Get rid of the cat.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:11 - Apr 20 with 1102 viewsKeno

I meant to ask - what kind of pup are you getting?

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:12 - Apr 20 with 1100 viewsGavTWTD

Decide on the room you want to start in. Let them each get used to each other's smell with them seperated over a few days. Give the cat a tree or something to climb on out of the way. Feed the dog with the cat in the room then seperate them. Build it up over a few days. It will take time. We've got 2 dogs and 4 cats so done it quite a bit. They all get on quite well.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:14 - Apr 20 with 1087 viewsDanTheMan

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:07 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

Get rid of the cat.

This is the correct answer.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:18 - Apr 20 with 1076 viewsGeoffSentence

Is this a metaphor for our summer transfer strategy?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:19 - Apr 20 with 1071 viewsartsbossbeard

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:07 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

Get rid of the cat.

cats.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:20 - Apr 20 with 1066 viewsartsbossbeard

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:11 - Apr 20 by Keno

I meant to ask - what kind of pup are you getting?

Cockapoo, female.

working title is Wanda.

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:23 - Apr 20 with 1050 viewsfactual_blue

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:20 - Apr 20 by artsbossbeard

Cockapoo, female.

working title is Wanda.

Are you sure it's a dog, and not a fish?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:24 - Apr 20 with 1045 viewsRyorry

The high up bolthole as Jeera said, and outdoor meeting as Keno said, are crucial. A dog-gate indoors, maybe with wire mesh added if the bars would allow either through, could be a useful next step.

Cat will be used to having #1 status, so not just household members but also visitors to house should remember that if both animals are around when they arrive, the cat gets first dibs on any stroking - all too easy to coo over a new pup first, & the old-timer would resent being relegated to the lower division, which could cause problems between the two.

Nice story - at my old house I rehomed two young (abt 2 yrs it was thought) feral farm cats from a shelter, and was instructed to keep them shut in a stable for the first week. They both escaped when I opened the door to feed them around the 3rd day & didn't return, although I looked for & called them daily.

However, about 3 months later I got an 8-week old puppy who had brown & white patch markings, a bit like a Springer Spaniel. One day, was amazed to see one of the feral cats about 200 yards away, just standing watching the pup. Over the next few weeks, the cat came closer & closer to the pup, seemed absolutely fascinated by him - never showed herself when I came out without him though.

Eventually she got bold enough to come within about 15 feet of him. She then followed us into the part of the barn which had the feed bin in, & jumped up onto the wall (about 5 foot high) which served as a partition from the other part of the barn where straw bales were kept. That was high enough for the pup to get on his hind legs & the cat to feel safe enough to allow him to nuzzle her. Which was the start of a really close friendship between them for the rest of their lives, about 13 years together, & the cat made the straw bales her home. She eventually allowed me to approach while she was on her safe place wall, started taking food off my outstretched hand, then stroking was OK, and after about a year she let me pick her up & cuddle her for the first time, whereupon she started purring, first time I'd heard her do that - I think she realised what she'd been missing for the first years of her life!

Never knew why she was so drawn to my pup, maybe she'd had a good experience in her early life with a similar looking dog.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:25 - Apr 20 with 1037 viewsgiant_stow

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:06 - Apr 20 by BlueBadger

Is 'my mum in sort of law' Norfolk slang for 'aunty' or just plain old 'mum'?

I'm an umarried mr of mrs ullaa of 28 years and counting, so mrs ullaa's mum isn't strictly anything to me, but shes a great woman who I like to share a j with.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:28 - Apr 20 with 1016 viewsBluefish

We kept them apart for a long time bynusing different rooms. Keep the dog on a lead to introduce them

They have a weird relationship of hating each other but without ever trying to hurt each other.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:29 - Apr 20 with 1011 viewsRyorry

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:25 - Apr 20 by giant_stow

I'm an umarried mr of mrs ullaa of 28 years and counting, so mrs ullaa's mum isn't strictly anything to me, but shes a great woman who I like to share a j with.

joint? joke? jother? ;)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:32 - Apr 20 with 1003 viewsgiant_stow

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:29 - Apr 20 by Ryorry

joint? joke? jother? ;)

joint - she's 78 and still puffing like a goodun!

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:39 - Apr 20 with 994 viewsbracknell_blue

It's really the only way round to do it. We did it 5 years ago, introducing a cockapoo puppy to a 2 cat household. The less dominant cat was spooked by the puppy (and still is) despite being much bigger and a killer of local wildlife. The more dominant cat - despite being rather small - took charge immediately. They are still friends, the cat likes to groom the dog (he started straight away), go for walks with the dog and my wife, and makes clear who is in charge - the dog accepts this. So, it does depend on the cat, and the size of the dog. Our dog is now 20kg (very big for a cockapoo) and clumsy with it, so playing with the cat does sometimes draw the odd yelp and out come the claws. One scratch on the nose and they learn quickly.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:40 - Apr 20 with 986 viewsKeno

Cockapoo, female.

working title is Wanda.

aww!! sounds very sweet and a good name

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 12:08 - Apr 20 with 948 viewsBluefish

Cockapoo, female.

working title is Wanda.

Mine is a female cockapoo to go with the male British blue

Good luck with the pup, the first 3 years are the hardest

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 14:07 - Apr 20 with 873 viewsFixed_It

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:25 - Apr 20 by giant_stow

Oh yeah - there's laws about who you can and can't marry. Big frustration in Norfolk apparently.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 14:14 - Apr 20 with 862 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Introducing a pup to a cat household tips on 11:24 - Apr 20 by Ryorry

The high up bolthole as Jeera said, and outdoor meeting as Keno said, are crucial. A dog-gate indoors, maybe with wire mesh added if the bars would allow either through, could be a useful next step.

Cat will be used to having #1 status, so not just household members but also visitors to house should remember that if both animals are around when they arrive, the cat gets first dibs on any stroking - all too easy to coo over a new pup first, & the old-timer would resent being relegated to the lower division, which could cause problems between the two.

Nice story - at my old house I rehomed two young (abt 2 yrs it was thought) feral farm cats from a shelter, and was instructed to keep them shut in a stable for the first week. They both escaped when I opened the door to feed them around the 3rd day & didn't return, although I looked for & called them daily.

However, about 3 months later I got an 8-week old puppy who had brown & white patch markings, a bit like a Springer Spaniel. One day, was amazed to see one of the feral cats about 200 yards away, just standing watching the pup. Over the next few weeks, the cat came closer & closer to the pup, seemed absolutely fascinated by him - never showed herself when I came out without him though.

Eventually she got bold enough to come within about 15 feet of him. She then followed us into the part of the barn which had the feed bin in, & jumped up onto the wall (about 5 foot high) which served as a partition from the other part of the barn where straw bales were kept. That was high enough for the pup to get on his hind legs & the cat to feel safe enough to allow him to nuzzle her. Which was the start of a really close friendship between them for the rest of their lives, about 13 years together, & the cat made the straw bales her home. She eventually allowed me to approach while she was on her safe place wall, started taking food off my outstretched hand, then stroking was OK, and after about a year she let me pick her up & cuddle her for the first time, whereupon she started purring, first time I'd heard her do that - I think she realised what she'd been missing for the first years of her life!

Never knew why she was so drawn to my pup, maybe she'd had a good experience in her early life with a similar looking dog.

Lovely story that. Reminds me why I still post here! Was it always just one of the two cats that returned? Or could it have been one on the Monday and the twin on the Tuesday?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024