Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? 10:45 - Apr 20 with 8676 viewsDanTheMan

Just looking at the story just posted...

"We discussed the stadium at Portman Road. We are staying here and improvements will be made and given time the Cobbold Stand may be replaced."

Don't recall this being mentioned before.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:39 - Apr 20 with 2403 viewsAlanG296

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:35 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

Really miss the old northstand

When it was rebuilt.. they really didnt think about the roof shape and how it would effect things

The noise to escapes there is nothing to rebound it.

I remember sir alex saying Pr sounded like it had 75000 people in it. And the majority of that sound came from the old north stand.

Typical Sheepshanks. He didn't think.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:42 - Apr 20 with 2393 viewsBluefish

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:00 - Apr 20 by Plums

Nonsense, one half of the stand can’t even tell the other half is singing because there’s nothing to keep the sound in.

I can help here. Section 6 is singing Paul lambert is a blue and section 5 is singing Give me an I

Both utterly cringey

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:44 - Apr 20 with 2386 viewsEly_Blue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:21 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

Blimey. Really does match the north stand.

Because that’s what it is if you look at it. Length and position of shop give it away

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:54 - Apr 20 with 2361 viewsLesta_Tractor

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

The Cobbold Stand seems to have been built at a time when the average human was 5'1" high. I can't think of another ground where leg room is so limited.

Have you been to Loftus Road?

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 15:11 - Apr 20 with 2334 viewsEly_Blue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:54 - Apr 20 by Lesta_Tractor

Have you been to Loftus Road?

Unfortunately yes

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 15:13 - Apr 20 with 2333 viewsMeadowlark

Which one is The Cobbold again?

Is that where the chicken run used to be, on Portman Road? So if you're looking out of The North Stand towards Churchmans it's on the left opposite the main stand?

I get confused. And if this one is the Cobbold, is the main stand still called The Pioneer Stand?

I know, I know, The North and Churchmans are now SIr Bobby and Sir Alf, but its the side stands I can't remember the names of!

Does anyone have a mnemonic?
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:31 - Apr 20 with 2275 viewsWallingford_Boy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:23 - Apr 20 by jeera

You seriously aren't aware of the change in atmosphere since the stand was redesigned?

Or you think atmosphere has no place in a football ground?

Maybe something to do with the fact there is no singing since the new stand, other than the kids in the corner with drum.

Nothing to do with acoustics!

RIP Sir Bobby

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:59 - Apr 20 with 2238 viewsAlanG296

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 15:13 - Apr 20 by Meadowlark

Which one is The Cobbold again?

Is that where the chicken run used to be, on Portman Road? So if you're looking out of The North Stand towards Churchmans it's on the left opposite the main stand?

I get confused. And if this one is the Cobbold, is the main stand still called The Pioneer Stand?

I know, I know, The North and Churchmans are now SIr Bobby and Sir Alf, but its the side stands I can't remember the names of!

Does anyone have a mnemonic?

If it helps it's got Cobbold Stand in big letters on the outside at one end and also over the turnstiles.
Login to get fewer ads

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 08:30 - Apr 21 with 2168 viewsMeadowlark

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:59 - Apr 20 by AlanG296

If it helps it's got Cobbold Stand in big letters on the outside at one end and also over the turnstiles.

Has it?
I'm not doubting you really, but I've honestly never noticed!

Edit: I just had a look on Streetview and you're absolutely correct!

But I'm not sure that this will help me to remember, although this conversation might help.....thanks.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:45 - Apr 21 with 2135 views3_5_2

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:31 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Maybe something to do with the fact there is no singing since the new stand, other than the kids in the corner with drum.

Nothing to do with acoustics!

Absolute rubbish.

Those at the top can’t hear those at the bottom, so only glad the fans get into any chants etc

Not sure why they didn’t make it one big stand but I’m sure there was a reason

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:54 - Apr 21 with 2122 viewslongtimefan

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:45 - Apr 21 by 3_5_2

Absolute rubbish.

Those at the top can’t hear those at the bottom, so only glad the fans get into any chants etc

Not sure why they didn’t make it one big stand but I’m sure there was a reason

Sir Alf Ramsey way is the reason. A single tier stand of the same capacity would need to be much deeper and would have required the closure of the road which the council would not permit. The club had enough trouble getting permission for what’s there now due to the complaints from residents about height of the stand and its impact on blocking sunlight.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:59 - Apr 21 with 2113 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's been mentioned twice before - once by Cobbold - leading to the financial meltdown of the Pioneer Stand - and the break up of the team and relegation - and once by Sheepshanks leading to the financial meltdown of two new stands, the break up of the club and relegation..

Clearly the new opportunists are students of history

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:11 - Apr 21 with 2070 viewsBluespeed225

A S long as the iconic ‘Ipswich Town Football Club’ letters are incorporated. Those letters( I know some will have Ben replaced), in that font, have seen it all since 71’, they are part of my life!
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:24 - Apr 21 with 2057 viewsLesta_Tractor

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 15:11 - Apr 20 by Ely_Blue

Unfortunately yes

Me too, my knees still haven't recovered...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 2046 viewstownblue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:49 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Its a football ground, what do you want a recording studio?

I did a stadium tour at Bayern Munich and they pointed out that a large part of the design was around improving acoustics.

So no, not a recording studio just a modern stand
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:41 - Apr 21 with 1985 viewsMuncher

I would not be at all surprised to see this happen once we have improved on the pitch. They have already said they want a 500 seat restaurant at the ground, it would significantly increase matchday revenue and allow the stadium to be used for various functions day in, day out which is exactly the kind of thing I expect the new owners and CEO to bring to the club.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:44 - Apr 21 with 1969 viewshype313

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 16:41 - Apr 21 by Muncher

I would not be at all surprised to see this happen once we have improved on the pitch. They have already said they want a 500 seat restaurant at the ground, it would significantly increase matchday revenue and allow the stadium to be used for various functions day in, day out which is exactly the kind of thing I expect the new owners and CEO to bring to the club.

Look forward to your updates of searches on Portman Road...:)

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 18:12 - Apr 21 with 1916 viewsThe_Major

Was just thinking about what others have said about how far back any new Cobbold Stand would infringe on Portman Road itself. After looking at some other grounds on street view, I see that at Villa Park when they rebuilt the Trinity Road stand, they actually extended it over the road itself and traffic continues to go up and down it as normal. The only difference is that Villa Park isn't square on to the road like the Cobbold Stand is and so any "tunnel" would be longer.

But as someone else said upthread, perhaps they ought to go the whole hog, and pedestrianise Portman Road between Princes Street and Sir Alf? I mean, be honest, how often does anyone actually drive down there on non-Town related business? I mean, in days of yore, it would have been quite an important road, as it was the main route from the station if you were in Castle Hill, Whitton or Whitehouse or anywhere along Norwich Road. But then Civic Drive was built, Barrack Corner was sealed off and even those who were trying to avoid the crawl on Handford Road were catered for when West End Road was built to link up with Commercial Road.

I know there's plans afoot to put a multi-storey on the Cattle Market car park, but you could easily still have Portman Road open from Handford Road to Sir Alf, and if needs be have another entrance on Princes Street. You've then got a plaza in front of the new Cobbold Stand, with Sir Bob at the centre, just make it access only for the Churchmans flats and job done.

Of course, all this is academic if we're still losing 4-0 at Forest Green.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 19:44 - Apr 21 with 1874 viewsazuremerlangus

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 18:12 - Apr 21 by The_Major

Was just thinking about what others have said about how far back any new Cobbold Stand would infringe on Portman Road itself. After looking at some other grounds on street view, I see that at Villa Park when they rebuilt the Trinity Road stand, they actually extended it over the road itself and traffic continues to go up and down it as normal. The only difference is that Villa Park isn't square on to the road like the Cobbold Stand is and so any "tunnel" would be longer.

But as someone else said upthread, perhaps they ought to go the whole hog, and pedestrianise Portman Road between Princes Street and Sir Alf? I mean, be honest, how often does anyone actually drive down there on non-Town related business? I mean, in days of yore, it would have been quite an important road, as it was the main route from the station if you were in Castle Hill, Whitton or Whitehouse or anywhere along Norwich Road. But then Civic Drive was built, Barrack Corner was sealed off and even those who were trying to avoid the crawl on Handford Road were catered for when West End Road was built to link up with Commercial Road.

I know there's plans afoot to put a multi-storey on the Cattle Market car park, but you could easily still have Portman Road open from Handford Road to Sir Alf, and if needs be have another entrance on Princes Street. You've then got a plaza in front of the new Cobbold Stand, with Sir Bob at the centre, just make it access only for the Churchmans flats and job done.

Of course, all this is academic if we're still losing 4-0 at Forest Green.

The building of Civic Drive is a little bit before my time so the importance of Portman Road for the access of North West of Ipswich was new to me.

The whole area/site has huge potential; central location, great access to rail/road links etc. The practice pitch area is something not many clubs have and is ripe for further development.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 20:22 - Apr 21 with 1840 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by judespiveyg

Eh, I'm not so keen myself. First of all the ground is already too big anyway so it wouldn't make any sense to expand.

Secondly it's not that bad if you actually sit in it, the upper tier has the best view of the pitch in the entire ground except perhaps the middle of the Britannia. I kind of like how it's a little bit scruffy too, it's sort of a throwback to a time when Ipswich were good. The stand is still fit for purpose.

Thirdly and most importantly, spending money on ground improvements has not exactly gone well for the club in the last 40 years.

Agree. It's the most iconic part of the ground, I love it. The club's name along the top of the stand is a touch of class and a lot if opposition fans tell me they think it is great too.

The ground is a good one. We just need a team as good.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 20:33 - Apr 21 with 1826 viewsThe_Major

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 19:44 - Apr 21 by azuremerlangus

The building of Civic Drive is a little bit before my time so the importance of Portman Road for the access of North West of Ipswich was new to me.

The whole area/site has huge potential; central location, great access to rail/road links etc. The practice pitch area is something not many clubs have and is ripe for further development.

You'd probably be over sixty now to remember, but pre-Civic Drive, if you were coming down Norwich Road wanting to head out down Wherstead Road towards Manningtree or Shotley (no bypass obviously) you'd either go into town, down Lloyds Avenue, across the Cornhill, down Queen Street and the Saints to Stoke Bridge, or the far easier route of Portman Road-Princes Street-Burrell Road.

Certainly my late grandfather told me that often in the late fifties as a season ticket holder, the traffic on Portman Road itself would be horrendous as the police never closed the road off on matchday like they do now.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 20:34]
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 00:24 - Apr 22 with 1732 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:52 - Apr 20 by JackSted

Leading on from all of this - I hope the owners decide to move the away fans to the other side of the Cobbold, so they are next to the SBR lower rather than the SAR lower.

IMO this would increase the match day expierence by ten fold

Without wanting to sound petulant, would we really want to stick away fans in our newest, fanciest stand with the best facilities? Is there a way the away end could be moved to the North Stand end of the Britannia stand? There’s an exit at that corner of the stand which can lead onto a route to the station via the bus depot? A bit more complicated though due to turnstile location and a need to segregate the practice pitch which would be a shame.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 00:54 - Apr 22 with 1725 viewsbournemouthblue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:08 - Apr 20 by Ftnfwest

I've always thought that stand to be quite iconic and seems to identify our past, which i suppose may be something to move on from. The one thing is that for it's size the capacity of it is quite high, so a bigger structure wouldn't necessarily up the capacity that much (not that we need it) but just provide additional facilities under it.

I suppose it's fairly pokey underneath, I believe the replacement would be overhanging much like the North and South but would also feature boxes making it a little higher?

Much like Newcastle, I did wonder if you could expand across the road and keep the road underneath.

I suppose the real stand for expansion though is the Co-Op with the pitch potentially able to be sacrificed?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024