Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? 10:45 - Apr 20 with 8644 viewsDanTheMan

Just looking at the story just posted...

"We discussed the stadium at Portman Road. We are staying here and improvements will be made and given time the Cobbold Stand may be replaced."

Don't recall this being mentioned before.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 with 4020 viewsWallingford_Boy

Ooooh thats exciting news if true, that is the worst part of the ground and also the most visible.

They really are going all in on this investment!

RIP Sir Bobby

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 with 4023 viewsportmanking

This was on the radar circa 2001 when we were in the Prem. Naturally was put to one side after relegation. I want to say the plans were to build a new stand which would go over Portman Road, creating a kind of tunnel/walkway.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:50 - Apr 20 with 3974 viewshoppy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Ooooh thats exciting news if true, that is the worst part of the ground and also the most visible.

I wonder if we'll see a permanent closure of Portman Road to traffic... possibly allowing building over a pedestrianised area?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:52 - Apr 20 with 3944 viewshoppy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by portmanking

This was on the radar circa 2001 when we were in the Prem. Naturally was put to one side after relegation. I want to say the plans were to build a new stand which would go over Portman Road, creating a kind of tunnel/walkway.

Only just seen this after adding my reply. Could make sense, as it's been closed since they put the planters in at one end.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:01 - Apr 20 with 3881 viewsPhilTWTD

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by portmanking

I've actually seen a mock-up of how it would have looked. It was very much in the mould of the North Stand.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:04 - Apr 20 with 3810 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:01 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

I've actually seen a mock-up of how it would have looked. It was very much in the mould of the North Stand.

Share it or it didnt happen.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 with 3785 viewsSteve_M

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:01 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

When you say mould of the North Stand are you referring to what used to be on the roof?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 with 3793 viewsPhilTWTD

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:04 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

Was in Derek Bowden's office when I went in to interview him about 18 years ago, a little after it would have happened.
Login to get fewer ads

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 with 3782 viewsjudespiveyg

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Eh, I'm not so keen myself. First of all the ground is already too big anyway so it wouldn't make any sense to expand.

Secondly it's not that bad if you actually sit in it, the upper tier has the best view of the pitch in the entire ground except perhaps the middle of the Britannia. I kind of like how it's a little bit scruffy too, it's sort of a throwback to a time when Ipswich were good. The stand is still fit for purpose.

Thirdly and most importantly, spending money on ground improvements has not exactly gone well for the club in the last 40 years.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 with 3776 viewsPhilTWTD

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by Steve_M

When you say mould of the North Stand are you referring to what used to be on the roof?

Very good.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:07 - Apr 20 with 3741 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by judespiveyg

Eh, I'm not so keen myself. First of all the ground is already too big anyway so it wouldn't make any sense to expand.

Secondly it's not that bad if you actually sit in it, the upper tier has the best view of the pitch in the entire ground except perhaps the middle of the Britannia. I kind of like how it's a little bit scruffy too, it's sort of a throwback to a time when Ipswich were good. The stand is still fit for purpose.

Thirdly and most importantly, spending money on ground improvements has not exactly gone well for the club in the last 40 years.

I'd imagine theres certain aspects of the ground that cost alot to maintain so rebuilding stands might become more cost effective long term.

Is that about right Phil? It wouldnt just be to increase attendances.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:08 - Apr 20 with 3734 viewsFtnfwest

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by judespiveyg

I've always thought that stand to be quite iconic and seems to identify our past, which i suppose may be something to move on from. The one thing is that for it's size the capacity of it is quite high, so a bigger structure wouldn't necessarily up the capacity that much (not that we need it) but just provide additional facilities under it.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:08 - Apr 20 with 3730 viewsSitfcB

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:04 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

I’ve seen the picture. Was posted on FB and Twitter a few years back, typically it came up on my timehop the other day!!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:13 - Apr 20 with 3688 viewsJackSted

This is a similar situation to Wolves in my opinion. As soon as they were taken plans were put in place to expand one of their stands. I think the general plan was to expand while attendences were low, and by the time it was complete they would be in the Prem and demand for tickets would be a lot larger. Luckily for Wolves all of this actually happened. Maybe our owners are planning the same?
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 11:18]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:18 - Apr 20 with 3640 viewsDubtractor

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:07 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

I'd imagine theres certain aspects of the ground that cost alot to maintain so rebuilding stands might become more cost effective long term.

Is that about right Phil? It wouldnt just be to increase attendances.

No chance that would be the case.

It would cost many millions to rebuild that stand.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 with 3640 viewsDanny_G

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:08 - Apr 20 by SitfcB

I’ve seen the picture. Was posted on FB and Twitter a few years back, typically it came up on my timehop the other day!!

Is this the one?
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 with 3612 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Cobbold Stand seems to have been built at a time when the average human was 5'1" high. I can't think of another ground where leg room is so limited.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:21 - Apr 20 with 3600 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Danny_G

Is this the one?

Blimey. Really does match the north stand.

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:22 - Apr 20 with 3596 viewsSitfcB

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Danny_G

Is this the one?

Ha, yes!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:24 - Apr 20 with 3571 viewsJackSted

Is this the one?

Quite like it tbf

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:28 - Apr 20 with 3521 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maybe replaced with a smaller stand!! ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:32 - Apr 20 with 3492 viewsClapham_Junction

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

The Cobbold Stand seems to have been built at a time when the average human was 5'1" high. I can't think of another ground where leg room is so limited.

The away end at Brammall Lane is far worse than the Cobbold Stand. You have to sit sideways to fit your legs in.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:36 - Apr 20 with 3445 viewsjontysnut

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:18 - Apr 20 by Dubtractor

No chance that would be the case.

It would cost many millions to rebuild that stand.

they probably see uses for a new stand beyond football - income generation from conferences,community spaces, events, functions etc
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:42 - Apr 20 with 3395 viewsDubtractor

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:36 - Apr 20 by jontysnut

they probably see uses for a new stand beyond football - income generation from conferences,community spaces, events, functions etc

Yep, one way another it will be about generating revenue.

Either more fans, or other events either on the pitch or inside the stand.

Unless the stand has been deemed unsafe in the longer term and they have no choice.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:44 - Apr 20 with 3371 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:42 - Apr 20 by Dubtractor

Yep, one way another it will be about generating revenue.

Either more fans, or other events either on the pitch or inside the stand.

Unless the stand has been deemed unsafe in the longer term and they have no choice.

What are the plans for the carpark area?

I'd imagine they'd be keen to do something there

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024