Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? 10:45 - Apr 20 with 8687 viewsDanTheMan

Just looking at the story just posted...

"We discussed the stadium at Portman Road. We are staying here and improvements will be made and given time the Cobbold Stand may be replaced."

Don't recall this being mentioned before.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:46 - Apr 20 with 2209 viewsPinewoodblue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:22 - Apr 20 by SitfcB

Ha, yes!

Wasn’t the plan to add on a second tier rather than knock it down. 5,000 increase in capacity.

I would love to see the club find someway to move television cameras to Cobbold, would improve the image projected and, as a bonus, remove away fans from view.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:49 - Apr 20 with 2190 viewsChurchman

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

The Cobbold Stand seems to have been built at a time when the average human was 5'1" high. I can't think of another ground where leg room is so limited.

You should have tried the old stands at Highbury. The seating made the Cobbold (East) seating look palatial! I actually remember the stand being built to replace the old chicken run. The lower seating was standing and there was a little wooden hut affair halfway down that I’d stand (on a footstool) close to sometimes. The original stand was built about 1971 if memory serves me right and extended either end 3 or 4 years later. It was the height of modernity and actually rather stylish.

I think replacing it would be good thing if there was a spare £million or two cluttering the wallet. The pitch of the lower part isn’t suitable for seating, the facilities in it awful, restricted views at the top of the stand, cramped and just plain 50 years old. I think a replacement should be able to accommodate better restaurant and conferencing facilities with the capacity increased to say 32,000 in reasonable comfort? That’d be more than sufficient. The Pioneer (West) stand: just an upgrade required really along with using the space a lot better under it.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:52 - Apr 20 with 2174 viewsJackSted

Leading on from all of this - I hope the owners decide to move the away fans to the other side of the Cobbold, so they are next to the SBR lower rather than the SAR lower.

IMO this would increase the match day expierence by ten fold

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:55 - Apr 20 with 2155 viewsDanTheMan

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:52 - Apr 20 by JackSted

Leading on from all of this - I hope the owners decide to move the away fans to the other side of the Cobbold, so they are next to the SBR lower rather than the SAR lower.

Hasn't this been looked into a number of times but was blocked by the Police?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:56 - Apr 20 with 2145 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:52 - Apr 20 by JackSted

They've got to do that havent they. As you say atmosphere would be so much better.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:02 - Apr 20 with 2110 viewsJ2BLUE

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:55 - Apr 20 by DanTheMan

Would be the ideal time to push for it while we're in league one and some of this lot bring about 50 fans.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:12 - Apr 20 with 2090 viewsJackSted

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:02 - Apr 20 by J2BLUE

Would be the ideal time to push for it while we're in league one and some of this lot bring about 50 fans.

I do remember this being pushed before but a lot of people who sit in that part of the Cobbold, who have had season tickets for decades, definitely won't give up their seats in a hurry

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:12 - Apr 20 with 2085 viewsEJP

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:55 - Apr 20 by DanTheMan

Something about a direct route from the station if remember correctly - means away fans don’t need to pass any of the home areas as such to the away “end”.
Login to get fewer ads

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:24 - Apr 20 with 2055 viewschicoazul

The Budweiser Oregon Fire and Police 401(k) Stand
Truly trips off the tongue.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:25 - Apr 20 with 2050 viewsWallingford_Boy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by judespiveyg

Eh, I'm not so keen myself. First of all the ground is already too big anyway so it wouldn't make any sense to expand.

Secondly it's not that bad if you actually sit in it, the upper tier has the best view of the pitch in the entire ground except perhaps the middle of the Britannia. I kind of like how it's a little bit scruffy too, it's sort of a throwback to a time when Ipswich were good. The stand is still fit for purpose.

Thirdly and most importantly, spending money on ground improvements has not exactly gone well for the club in the last 40 years.

Who said anything about expanding the capacity?! Probably be the other way if anything as they wouldn't look to cram so many seats into such a small area.

But the past is the past and although we should never forget it, we need to move forward and having a non "scruffy" stadium is part of that.

Your third point is invalid if the owners really do have the cash they are meant to have. You can't compare that with the club selling Terry Butcher to fund a new stand!

RIP Sir Bobby

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:29 - Apr 20 with 2031 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:12 - Apr 20 by EJP

Something about a direct route from the station if remember correctly - means away fans don’t need to pass any of the home areas as such to the away “end”.

Tell everyone in the sir bobby stand to go the other side. Job done lol.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:38 - Apr 20 with 2004 viewsPlums

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:01 - Apr 20 by PhilTWTD

I've actually seen a mock-up of how it would have looked. It was very much in the mould of the North Stand.

More dreadful acoustics then?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Can we have swimming pools either end like at Fulham?.... on 12:48 - Apr 20 with 1981 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:49 - Apr 20 with 1977 viewsWallingford_Boy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:38 - Apr 20 by Plums

More dreadful acoustics then?

That's just down to the fact no-one sings in the North Stand!

RIP Sir Bobby

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:54 - Apr 20 with 1962 views3_5_2

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:05 - Apr 20 by judespiveyg

Eh, I'm not so keen myself. First of all the ground is already too big anyway so it wouldn't make any sense to expand.

Secondly it's not that bad if you actually sit in it, the upper tier has the best view of the pitch in the entire ground except perhaps the middle of the Britannia. I kind of like how it's a little bit scruffy too, it's sort of a throwback to a time when Ipswich were good. The stand is still fit for purpose.

Thirdly and most importantly, spending money on ground improvements has not exactly gone well for the club in the last 40 years.

Take your point but there is huge potential to increase the match day revenue with better executive boxes / improve the centre spot etc - I think this is where there will have a big impact, American Sports venues are fantastic in getting money out of punters

Perhaps they can start by it being possible to get a beer at half-time without missing of the game or running out!!

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:00 - Apr 20 with 1948 viewsPlums

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:49 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

That's just down to the fact no-one sings in the North Stand!

Nonsense, one half of the stand can’t even tell the other half is singing because there’s nothing to keep the sound in.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:00 - Apr 20 with 1943 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 12:54 - Apr 20 by 3_5_2

Take your point but there is huge potential to increase the match day revenue with better executive boxes / improve the centre spot etc - I think this is where there will have a big impact, American Sports venues are fantastic in getting money out of punters

Perhaps they can start by it being possible to get a beer at half-time without missing of the game or running out!!

Ah, miss the days of 3.47pm sorry weve run out

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:24 - Apr 20 with 1890 viewsScuzzer

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by portmanking

This was on the radar circa 2001 when we were in the Prem. Naturally was put to one side after relegation. I want to say the plans were to build a new stand which would go over Portman Road, creating a kind of tunnel/walkway.

Yes indeed...that is what I remember as well.

Established 1968

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:45 - Apr 20 with 1856 viewsAlanG296

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:24 - Apr 20 by Scuzzer

Yes indeed...that is what I remember as well.

If it ever happens they need to build it further back and on Portman Road so they can move the pitch over creating bigger technical areas and more importantly so that you can actually see the touchline from all of the upper west stand.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:49 - Apr 20 with 1846 viewsWallingford_Boy

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:00 - Apr 20 by Plums

Nonsense, one half of the stand can’t even tell the other half is singing because there’s nothing to keep the sound in.

Its a football ground, what do you want a recording studio?

RIP Sir Bobby

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:16 - Apr 20 with 1801 viewsPinewoodblue

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:45 - Apr 20 by AlanG296

If it ever happens they need to build it further back and on Portman Road so they can move the pitch over creating bigger technical areas and more importantly so that you can actually see the touchline from all of the upper west stand.

Remove the lower terrace on Cobbold you can them move the pitch over a couple of yards.

Remove the roof, like thy did at Charlton, then add a new upper tier. Convert the area above and behind Block D for media use. There is empty space under Cobbold ripe for development and you could provide bars, and other facilities for away fans in the area between Cobbold and SAR.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:20 - Apr 20 with 1783 viewsFreddies_Ears

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 11:20 - Apr 20 by Swansea_Blue

The Cobbold Stand seems to have been built at a time when the average human was 5'1" high. I can't think of another ground where leg room is so limited.

I'll help. In the following grounds, I have physically not been able to sit in the seat I was supposed to occupy (and I am of about average height): Luton, ManU, Brentford (old ground), QPR. Cobbold Stand has far more legroom than out own Directors Box as well!
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:23 - Apr 20 with 1775 viewsjeera

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 13:49 - Apr 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Its a football ground, what do you want a recording studio?

You seriously aren't aware of the change in atmosphere since the stand was redesigned?

Or you think atmosphere has no place in a football ground?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:30 - Apr 20 with 1760 viewsAlanG296

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:23 - Apr 20 by jeera

You seriously aren't aware of the change in atmosphere since the stand was redesigned?

It's not as if they sing anything worth listening to.
Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:35 - Apr 20 with 1747 viewschrismakin

Have our owners previously said they want to replace the Cobbold stand? on 14:23 - Apr 20 by jeera

Really miss the old northstand

When it was rebuilt.. they really didnt think about the roof shape and how it would effect things

The noise to escapes there is nothing to rebound it.

I remember sir alex saying Pr sounded like it had 75000 people in it. And the majority of that sound came from the old north stand.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024