Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook 21:24 - Apr 20 with 7000 viewsTieDyedIn95

I have been a big supporter of Paul Cook coming here and he's had 100% of my backing since he arrived but like others (and even more moderate posters) have suggested the team morale and overall performance, shape, instruction have dipped to so many new lows since his arrival I am also getting genuinely concerned.

I understand the players have downed tools, but why aren't we trying out more of the squad? Why aren't we using a system that suits what we have, if we are just going to use what we have? What I will say is it's clear the players do not rate Cook and have taken to him as warmly as they did to Paul Hurst and that is worrying for me. I am not someone who over rates this squad by any means, but we should have enough in us to beat Rochdale, Wimbledon, Wigan, Northampton and so on. We beat the piss poor teams last season in most cases without even breaking a sweat and we were a mid-table side then. So what has happened?

So I am going to say we're in a weird position of taking a gamble of continuing on with Paul Cook next season. I know many are calling for a complete squad over haul but that approach rarely works either. If we go too radical like we did under Hurst we could end up getting relegated. Cook is trading off his reputation with Pompey and Wigan here, which is the only reason we should keep him because what we've seen from him so far is a lot of shouting, animation but a complete regression in footballing terms. Paul Lambert would have done better had he stayed on, not saying he should have, but hew knew the squad and its limitations and they were poorer than what most supporters believed they were. Cook took none of what Lambert did on board, or even Gill who was there and has pushed to adopt his own system as quickly as possible, also likely on the assumption that Lambert was the sole issue.

The idea that he's going to recruit 15 odd players in the summer from this league and lower and suddenly walk this league is not realistic. Yeah, some of the old guard have to go, some of the injury prone and that lot have to go but players like your Nydhams, Kenlocks, Bishops, Downes, Wolfies and even to some extent Edwards and even dare I say it... Judge should easily be able to manage football in this league with some good recruitment around them. All of the strikers have been bad, except Norwood when he is fit but he's a liability for the club in other ways that we can probably do better there.

I just don't know if it's just the players after this many games. We have been absolutely awful. We've been told it will be better next season so many times before when the writings been on the wall that it has to be stupid to ignore what we have seen.

Cook out? I don't know. My heart says no, but my head is telling me that maybe it is a risk to keep him on after the end of this season.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:34 - Apr 21 with 1737 viewsitfcpaul

Stop being ridiculous

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:41 - Apr 21 with 1728 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you give a good man a turd, the good man is still a good man and the turd is still a turd.

Patience is a virtue.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:43 - Apr 21 with 1729 viewsBobbychase

Sacking him - massive gamble. And would make us reviled in football.

Here's where we are: A manager with a very, very good track record at this level in place. New owners who have pledged to be ambitious in the transfer market.

Why can't people just wait a few weeks? We might well have signings in the wings ready to come in the moment the season ends.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:45 - Apr 21 with 1716 viewsitfcpaul

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:43 - Apr 21 by Bobbychase

Sacking him - massive gamble. And would make us reviled in football.

Here's where we are: A manager with a very, very good track record at this level in place. New owners who have pledged to be ambitious in the transfer market.

Why can't people just wait a few weeks? We might well have signings in the wings ready to come in the moment the season ends.

because not everyone is born with intelligence, common sense, lack of stupidity and the ability to not fill their time posting inane comments to be inflammatory to fill their sad. empty lives

Too harsh???????

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:50 - Apr 21 with 1705 viewsitfcjoe

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:32 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

Weren't you very pro-Cook previously?

Seems harsh to be so negative (on other threads) about him given he's inherited an absolute mess. It's been poor, nobody can disagree on that but he doesn't have the tools he wants. It's like hiring a carpenter and then saying you can't get any wood for 3 months so use that existing pile of bricks over there.

SB

He's got a great record, and he deserves the summer - but this has been really poor and is getting worse.

If you were to buy a business would you not take a full review of the people in key positions though?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:54 - Apr 21 with 1690 viewsyorkshireblue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:28 - Apr 20 by TieDyedIn95

What about some more of the U23's and the excellent U18's we now have on the books? Surely you'd try them over Drinnan and serial failure Sears?

I've seen this a lot.

For me, the answer, could be by throwing them in to early and potentially getting a hiding, you risk tier development - see England Rugby's Tour of Hell as an example. For me, the correct approach - long term - is to bring in a few youngsters so that they have experienced players around them to aid their development.

I'd say the bigger gamble is getting rid of Cook. Who would we get in to replace him? Certainly noone with the track record he has.
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:57 - Apr 21 with 1681 viewsBobbychase

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:45 - Apr 21 by itfcpaul

because not everyone is born with intelligence, common sense, lack of stupidity and the ability to not fill their time posting inane comments to be inflammatory to fill their sad. empty lives

Too harsh???????

No, spot on.

"Look, here are the keys to a golden future, you just have to wait a month."
"But I want a golden future NOW. Waaaaaah."

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:59 - Apr 21 with 1673 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:50 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

He's got a great record, and he deserves the summer - but this has been really poor and is getting worse.

If you were to buy a business would you not take a full review of the people in key positions though?

Not if you'd just put someone in that key position. You'd give your new man the tools to do the job before writing him off.

Login to get fewer ads

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:00 - Apr 21 with 1661 viewsitfcjoe

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:59 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not if you'd just put someone in that key position. You'd give your new man the tools to do the job before writing him off.

But they haven't put him in that position - Phil, and the EADT guys couldn't have been clearer in that belief

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:03 - Apr 21 with 1643 viewsStokieBlue

I would have done the review before publicly backing the existing key positions.

I agree it's been poor but it was poor before. There were signs that small winning run was going to end either way.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:04 - Apr 21 with 1637 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:00 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

But they haven't put him in that position - Phil, and the EADT guys couldn't have been clearer in that belief

They said he was their top man as well so you're splitting hairs.

I also think Cook waited for this job because he'd had wind that the takeover (and investment) were very likely happening.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:10 - Apr 21 with 1619 viewsRobTheMonk

There comes a point where past performances at different clubs can't dictate the future. No one can convince me that we've been any better under Cook than Lambert - in fact, we've arguably been worse. Lambert, although hardly ever beating the top teams at least got results against those around and below. We've not scored against three relegation candidates and have conceeded six goals against Wimbledon and Northampton. Say what you want about the players, but the managements job is to motivate and set the team out.

I go to corners last night. We have Drinan, McGuiness, Hawkins and Wolf in the box... so we played it short and it ends up going back 30 yards and nothing comes of it. Why are we going short? It was ridiculous.

Also, we played alot of longball up front to Jackson. Jackson can't win headers.

I'm happy to give Cook the summer - but I have creeping doubts...
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 9:12]
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:11 - Apr 21 with 1617 viewsitfcjoe

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:04 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

They said he was their top man as well so you're splitting hairs.

I also think Cook waited for this job because he'd had wind that the takeover (and investment) were very likely happening.

But your second para is the total opposite of what Phil thinks with regards to the takeover - i.e. Cook signed up to work with Evans and O'Neill.

It's one thing to say he was top man when in position, those better informed than me seem to think we wanted to get Michael Appleton away from Lincoln. But we can't honestly say we know and that makes Cook role more precarious than we would want as fans

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:49 - Apr 21 with 1571 viewscrossyitfc

You can only piss with the c*ck you've got, Joe. Let's have it right
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:52 - Apr 21 with 1568 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 22:54 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

There are more managers in the world than Paul Cook

Tbf Joe, we could appoint any manager on the planet and I still think you would be the first to ask questions over them. Even if it was Pep Guardiola.

At one point does the fact that managers keep failing even one with a fairly perfect record like Paul Cook. Make people wake up to the fact it might not be the managers

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:58 - Apr 21 with 1554 viewstractor_lady

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:28 - Apr 20 by TieDyedIn95

What about some more of the U23's and the excellent U18's we now have on the books? Surely you'd try them over Drinnan and serial failure Sears?

Not sure bringing youngsters into a team devoid of confidence and with seniors hardly leading by example is particularly good for their carer path?!
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:01 - Apr 21 with 1549 viewspointofblue

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 08:57 - Apr 21 by Bobbychase

No, spot on.

"Look, here are the keys to a golden future, you just have to wait a month."
"But I want a golden future NOW. Waaaaaah."

Where has anyone said they want everything to be right and rosy? It’d be nice to plod on with a mid table record as it’d mean we’d be more that competitive in the play off chase. As it is we’re sinking.

Cook was left the opportunity to get us into the play offs and we have failed to do so. Yes, the players should shoulder a lot of blame but Cook is not blameless. It is a big summer for him and the club and we desperately need it to work out.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:24 - Apr 21 with 1531 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:11 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

But your second para is the total opposite of what Phil thinks with regards to the takeover - i.e. Cook signed up to work with Evans and O'Neill.

It's one thing to say he was top man when in position, those better informed than me seem to think we wanted to get Michael Appleton away from Lincoln. But we can't honestly say we know and that makes Cook role more precarious than we would want as fans

We can only really go on what they say and they say he was also their no.1. They've also categorically stated they won't be coming in and sacking the manager. If they do that now they'll be seen to be liars.

I'm not saying it can never happen obviously but it seems unlikely to me.

The 'Cook knowing about the takeover' thing is just my opinion, but it fits with why he waited so long for this job (arguably turning down better jobs in the process). Also, we know now that the takeover has been rumbling on for more than a year - and Evans sounded Cook out long before firing Lambert. I find it unlikely there was no mention of a possible takeover and Cook knew nothing about it when you put all those things together.

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:44 - Apr 21 with 1515 viewsJ2BLUE

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:24 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

We can only really go on what they say and they say he was also their no.1. They've also categorically stated they won't be coming in and sacking the manager. If they do that now they'll be seen to be liars.

I'm not saying it can never happen obviously but it seems unlikely to me.

The 'Cook knowing about the takeover' thing is just my opinion, but it fits with why he waited so long for this job (arguably turning down better jobs in the process). Also, we know now that the takeover has been rumbling on for more than a year - and Evans sounded Cook out long before firing Lambert. I find it unlikely there was no mention of a possible takeover and Cook knew nothing about it when you put all those things together.

I don't think they would be seen as liars if we lose the next four games. Cook's record will be awful.

Don't get me wrong, he was given a thankless task but there would be enough there for the new owners to say enough is enough. It would be incredibly unfair but they wouldn't look like liars.

Cook must have known SOMETHING. Too many things don't quite add up. Evans was many things but he struck me as someone who would be honest about things like the takeover to a new manager. Cook said it would be exciting. Are we supposed to believe this is purely down to the new stats based recruitment? What the hell did we do before, draw names out of a hat?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:48 - Apr 21 with 1498 viewsKeaneish

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:26 - Apr 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

It isn't a gamble. If we sacked Paul Cook, we would not get anyone better. His record speaks for itself. If he buys players who work with his system, which he will in the summer.

We Will Be Fine. I am so confident of that

Completely agree with you - the hysteria at the moment is nonsense. As I said in another post, Mick McCarthy is 2 wins in 10, a run that has missed the play-offs, exactly the same as Cook. No-one at Cardiff is calling for Mick to leave so why here? Ridiculous.

Mick, like Cook will get it right. Cook at the moment is trying everything and anything to get a tune out of them. People need to be patient, it’s as simple as that

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:49 - Apr 21 with 1496 viewshype313

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 09:49 - Apr 21 by crossyitfc

You can only piss with the c*ck you've got, Joe. Let's have it right

He's trying to make an Omlette out of pasta, at least give him some eggs to see how he gets on.

If the Omlette turns out like one of J2's Signature dishes in time then by all means call it a day.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:56 - Apr 21 with 1486 viewsjontysnut

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 21:39 - Apr 20 by itfctilidie

It's not unrealistic though is it. Lincoln managed to recruit a whole new squad last summer on a lot lower budget than Cook will have.

Agree that he has a track record of rebuilding squads, but I'm worried about who would want to come here - at the moment we're a basket case
The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:01 - Apr 21 with 1464 viewshype313

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 10:56 - Apr 21 by jontysnut

Agree that he has a track record of rebuilding squads, but I'm worried about who would want to come here - at the moment we're a basket case

There will be many players wanting to come here, new ownership with a vision, a manager with an infectious personality who has done it all before and the opportunity to earn good money.

It might be a basket case right now, but that will change very quickly within the next 8-10 weeks.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:05 - Apr 21 with 1457 viewsElephantintheRoom

How many nils is that? Not many managers inspire a dead cat slump. It's almost as though the manager and the players dont see anything inspiring about playing for some faraway debt merchants whose much-trumpeted plan fell apart super league style in hours, rather than days, when the CEO failed to turn up.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:07 - Apr 21 with 1456 viewschrismakin

The gamble of keeping Paul Cook on 11:05 - Apr 21 by ElephantintheRoom

How many nils is that? Not many managers inspire a dead cat slump. It's almost as though the manager and the players dont see anything inspiring about playing for some faraway debt merchants whose much-trumpeted plan fell apart super league style in hours, rather than days, when the CEO failed to turn up.

I'd agree if we still didn't look close to scoring,
but even last night, woodwork twice, a 1 yard sitter missed

You can't put that on the manager

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024